Menu

How much would it be if you buy all the books NEW at amazon to use along with TOG

JadeOrchidSong

TOG Yr 1 with a 7 yr old and a 5 yr old?

I know many people talk about how costly it is. Are there people who do buy all the books they need NEW? If you do, how much would that be?

I hate to use the library and have to hunt down books. If I use TOG, I would love to be able to have all the books on hand. In that case, if I cannot afford, (which is more likely), I would not consider using TOG.

Thanks,

J

I'm not sure of the cost - but they would both be at the lower grammar level at those ages.

If you go to the TOG website you can get an idea of how much it would be by selecting "Store" then "Resource List" - it will give you the price of the books new - retail.

Just for Year 1 though (some books WOULD carry over into other units and years but I'm not 100% sure which ones because I didn't dig that far) for a UG & D level (2 kids) it was about $1000 all new for every book including the alternate books.

Now - I just started with TOG (we officially start day 1 tomorrow) and I just logged onto the library and requested all the books they have for the next 9 weeks. I was able to pick up a bunch of them today and they think they rest within the week. I'm spending about $80 on books that they didn't have or ones I wanted to go ahead and buy now....plus I'm waiting on some through paperbackswap.com

I think year 1 is the hardest year to find the books. Also, do you have younger children and you will be re-using it?? I've never bought the lower grammar books, but did buy dialectic and rhetoric because my younger ones would be using them. Also, why don't you want to use the library?? The lower grammar and upper grammar have not questions other than with the literature. So I would buy the literature books and then just use books you have or library books to cover the history since it is more activity based and not question specific. The questions for dialectic and rhetoric need the specific books, but not the history as there are no questions for lower grammar. You just read them a book, so any book on the Civil War will do on their level. I always just go to the library to see what they can find. The nice thing is, you could read the teacher's notes and be ready when you cycle back around for the higher levels. So you would be learning. That is what I like about TOG.

Christine

Guest aquiverfull

You might not really want to know..lol. It will be costly I'm sure. If you log in to Tapestry of Grace store you can pull it up with a total. It might be a little cheaper through amazon. You could go to bookshelfcentral.com and see what books are needed then search on Amazon for the prices.

Edited by aquiverfull

subjects you do. I generally recommend buying the spine history book and all the literature books. If I can't get one or two, then no biggie. I try to use the library, but there are so many homeschoolers here it is hard to find books when I need to put them on hold.

Last year I spent $1400 on two levels of books for TOG Year 2. I was discouraged to find out this year that most of the books I had from TOG Classic Year 3 are not listed in the redesigned, so I am either going to have to buy new books or try to use the library. With a 50 family co-op doing Yr. 3next year, I am not counting on that. I may end up putting my own plan together and just substitute in the old Yr. 3 books I already have on my shelves. The only subject that it will matter in is Literature, as the TOG worksheets are book specific.

To buy all the lower grammar resource books is $300.00+. I can't remember the exact total, but I did print off the book list recently to get ready to sell mine to a friend. I have found that Bookshelf Central is the best deal in most cases. I have spent several hours comparing Amazon, Books-A-Million and Abesbooks. If you purchase $175.00 or more from Bookshelf Central you can get free media mail shipping. We usually a few at a time, like a unit at a time and take advantage of the free shipping.

from bookshelfcentral I came up with $355 for all the LG books for all over Year 1.

Some books (like coloring) you might want 2 copies unless you copy the pages - I even got 2 coloring books for both my kids in UG & D because my dd would be ticked off if older bro got a coloring book and she didn't!!

This past week I priced out 17 of the LG books from yr 1 and it came out to $132 on amazon vs $176 on bookshelfcentral. Both include shipping and all were new. This covered all but 2-3 of the literature books and all the activity books and several of the history books. I plan to use an encyclopaedia and SOTW audio for the rest. I won't do the library.

New books for everything? In my dreams!

We rely heavily on the library.

Although, when you think about it, probably buying everything new would still be way cheaper than sending your dc to an exclusive school. The 'best' schools around here charge $10-15k per child per year, that's before you fork out for the uniforms and other extras, and you don't even get to keep the books! Whereas if you spend a few thousand for a year's books and other resources you can reuse much of it for subsequent children, or pass on to others when you're finished with it.

Home schooling seems to be something that you can spend as much as you want on. There's always something extra I could buy and make use of, but there are lots of ways to save money as well.

Edited by Hotdrink

I've bought all our books for years, so I understand where you're coming from. Could I politely suggest you also look at VP? Veritas Press, with their new Scholars lessons, has everything all mapped out in neat little packages, even with the books scheduled. It's very similar to TOG for this age level, but it would be a finite quantity of fully scheduled books. And you could see upfront what the price point would be. Just a thought.

are that I have to plan ahead what to get and if I can get them. It is too complicated and suppose I get sick or sidetracked with other things, then I have not enough time for the planning as well as reserving books and picking up and so on and so forth, then lessons will probably not get done as compared to when I have the books on my shelf. I am glad to hear some people do buy books.

Right now I only need to check Sonlight 2 Readers advanced for my ds7 from the libraries and it is a CHORE that I don't look forward to. So I cannot imagine having to hunt down multiple books for more than one subjects for two kids.

Are there used books as a set for sale?

J

Yep you're right, it would definitely be easier not to have to use the library. (I have a very small local library, they are very good, but nevertheless some items I request can take weeks and weeks to come in, which is a royal pain. I have been trawling the online catalogue for books to complement SOTW and REAL Science six weeks ahead of when I think we'll want them. ) Maybe you can source secondhand ones?

For me, this is one of the biggest drawbacks to using TOG and similar programs. Our library is well used and I can't guarantee that the books will be available close to the time I need them. I would want to buy the books and have them on hand.

I guess I've been in denial for years by spreading out my purchases over the entire year. It's a heck of a lot easier to spend $50 here and $100 there vs. dropping $1,000 for some of these programs. But the truth is, it does add up.

Can you tell I made some big purchases last summer in preparation for this year? What really hurts is that some of it is sitting around gathering dust. :blushing: ouch!

I usually buy all the TOG books. It's become a hobby to find used books. Right now, I'm collecting for year 4 (we're on year 3). So far, I've found over 30 books that we will be using through goodwill/used bookstores/paperbackswap. I figure if I don't find any others, I will wind up spending an additional $400 on books new (I usually buy used so maybe 2/3 to 1/2 of that total). I have 2 other children coming up that will use them all eventually and then I can resell. When I did do a program once that was heavily library dependent (MFW). I started it in early August to avoid any unforseen rush to get all the books from the library. I figured I was at least 2-4 weeks ahead of anyone else. Just a thought...

Beth

I printed out the reading list for UG & D for the 1st unit.... then I reserved the books for weeks 3+ already. Some are in - and some we are still waiting for....some I'm using the alternate instead because they have that one ready to go.

I plan on buying Unit 2 or the rest of the year around the 1st of the month. I already looked up the books and started reserving them as well.

I'm buying most of the literature books - as those I feel will be the most important. Even for the 1st Unit though - the History Core for D changes to the Bible after 3 weeks.... so why bother buying the book? It's a small book anyways!! ;) I bought the UG core only because my daughter LIKES the internet-linked Usborne books... she thinks they are cool.

I usually buy all the TOG books. It's become a hobby to find used books. Right now, I'm collecting for year 4 (we're on year 3). So far, I've found over 30 books that we will be using through goodwill/used bookstores/paperbackswap. I figure if I don't find any others, I will wind up spending an additional $400 on books new (I usually buy used so maybe 2/3 to 1/2 of that total). I have 2 other children coming up that will use them all eventually and then I can resell. When I did do a program once that was heavily library dependent (MFW). I started it in early August to avoid any unforseen rush to get all the books from the library. I figured I was at least 2-4 weeks ahead of anyone else. Just a thought...

Beth

:lurk5:

I like the way you do it. If I want to do TOG, I will have to have the books ready for me on the shelf, used or new. Or it won't get done and I get frustrated and we won't be able to keep on.

J

I don't like to depend on the library at all. I will have children in 3 stages this fall. I always make sure that I have one of the alt. spine books (SOTW) on hand to cover weeks that I don't have books. I focus on the lit books that I want to discuss and get those. Remember TOG is a UNIT STUDY, you can study the topic in the younger years especially without all the books. I would look at one unit at a time and see what books you really want. You don't have to do it all especially with the younger children. TOG is like dessert for the younger children, you are building on the future.

TOG can be done on a budget, you don't need every book. To understand TOG you really have to sit down with it and work through it. It is very different from other programs. Some programs have additional books lists (SOTW activity guide, MFW book basket) I never see anyone saying these program are too expensive. Why? because no one buys all of those books for their younger children, they are library lists. You will not miss out on the value of TOG if you don't have every book. I didn't get every book for my D level student last year. We covered all of the material and then some with no problem.

We don't have a lot of money, but I also stopped buy a lot of extra curriculum that I don't need. I no longer agonize over curriculum, I just teach. When I don't have something, I use SOTW, Streams of Civ (got it used), BJU World History (got it used), or Kingfisher.

Folks take a look at TOG without understanding what they seen and they think it is too much money. Fine, I see TOG as not just a curriculum, it is a reference, a teaching tool, and more. I learn as my children learn, I REALLY learn.

If you have a budget, then stay within it, get the books that are of lasting value -used if possible - and then enjoy!

:iagree:

Remember TOG is a UNIT STUDY, you can study the topic in the younger years especially without all the books. I would look at one unit at a time and see what books you really want. You don't have to do it all especially with the younger children. TOG is like dessert for the younger children, you are building on the future...

... I never see anyone saying these program are too expensive. Why? because no one buys all of those books for their younger children, they are library lists. You will not miss out on the value of TOG if you don't have every book.

Even the folks at TOG don't want you to buy all the books! The Reading Assignments are like a menu... TOG wants you to pick-and-choose.

Now as to what to choose, that's another thread. :001_smile:

Well, we are doing Year 1 Upper Grammar and Dialectic next year. I printed out both book lists for the year from Bookshelf Central. If you go there, it will give you a grand total of all of the books you need (no need to add it up yourself) if you buy all of the books from them. I went through the list book by book week by week with my teacher's manual. I was able to eliminate a couple of books off the bat and also check off a few of the books we already owned.

I don't plan on using every single one of the books, but do plan on using an overwhelming majority. Also, I'm only counting the books that are in the primary resources, not any that are alternative resources.

If I bought all of the books I plan on using from Bookshelf Central, my grand total would be $333.83 for Upper Grammar. (That is $62.99 for Unit 1, $121.00 for Unit 2, $56.79 for Unit 3, and $93.05 for Unit 4.)

If I bought all of the books I plan on using from Bookshelf Central for Dialectic, my grand total would be $504.58. (That is $134.65 for Unit 1, $143.53 for Unit 2, $74.55 for Unit 3, and $151.85 for Unit 4.)

Anyway, my son was begging to go the Half Price Books last week and as I was browsing the shelves, I found several of the books on the list BRAND NEW there!! I was so excited. One of the books was $24.00 at Bookshelf Central, not available at Amazon, and I got it for $6.00! Yippee!

So, my point is, it will end up costing us well under the $333.83 for Upper Grammar and $504.58 for Dialectic at this rate. And, we'll have a wonderfully stocked home library. :-)

Edited by Heather in WI

At one point when I calculated all the TOG books and DVD's I would have needed for this current ug year, I would have had to buy 150 items. I guestimated an average price of $10 each, if purchased new, so $1500. For only history and literature. (I use other materials for grammar, spelling, math, logic, science, music, art, and Spanish.)

If a person has the extra money and wishes to do so, IMO it would be a good thing to do. The purchase would help book authors, publishers, and sellers. And eventually it would probably put many of those books into the used book market for people like me to buy:D!

In actuality, I only purchase the spines for my desired level, and those only after I have previewed them and feel that they were at the right level for dd. As I've often mentioned, I have only one child, so I don't have the justification of being able to use the books with more than one student. In my experience, TOG can be used quite effectively on a modest budget. I usually spend about $60 or so on the spines I need.

For me, it would not be good stewardship of our family's finances to purchase all the books. I buy only those we will be using frequently, over time. The rest I borrow from the public library, or on rare occasions will buy used. I don't wish to commit my money or space in my home to books that will be read once and used only one or two weeks. But each person has to determine what works for their family.