Menu

Remember my painting a laminate countertop thread?

Well, we took the plunge and did it!

I'm attaching pictures - I'm amazed at the transformation. It was not as hard as I thought - I blogged about it, so if anyone's interested in a step-by-step how to, feel free to pop on over (link's in my siggie).

Thanks for all the encouragement!

(Oh, and Mariann - where's the painting smilie?)

post-1085-13535083360278_thumb.jpg

post-1085-13535083360906_thumb.jpg

post-1085-13535083360278_thumb.jpg

post-1085-13535083360906_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is amazing. You did an awesome job. :hurray::thumbup: I knew it could be done but I really didn't know it good be done that well. It looks like a brand new counter.

And, because it was a laminate from the 70s, it is actually constructed better than the ones they currently sell - so she has a better counter all the way around.

a

That looks fantastic! We've been debating painting the 70's chartreuse laminate in our kitchen. The question is, HOW would we keep those sneaky cats, who are NOT supposed to get up on the counters, off? I think we'd probably have to keep them locked in the basement :glare:.

I also wonder, is the surface rough or smooth? Would it stand up to kitchen use?

Thanks for posting. It truly is inspiring.

Wow!!! This gives me hope!!!

Now...can it be done to kitchen counters!?!?!?!? Mine are awful.

:iagree: :glare: :iagree: :glare: :iagree: :glare: :iagree:

Hmmmmmm. I'm in the same boat and have the same question. Lots more surface to cover in a kitchen....but I like the look a LOT and certainly the price!

What a great job you and Uri did! Fantastic!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thanks everyone, for your kind words!

I got my basic information from this website:

How to Paint Laminate Countertops

If you go there, you can scroll wa-a-a-ay down through the posts to answer almost any question you have. Some people did indeed do their entire kitchens!

The surface is smooth, and hard. It's only heat-proof to something like 200 degrees, so many people did not recommend it for kitchens. However, I believe there are other poly-type coats you can use; marine varnish is one.

Hope this helps - feel free to pm if you have questions!