Menu

Anyone with Lenten ideas?

My girl is 10 and I keep thinking that she'll grow out of this but she looks forward to it every year. We make a vine crown and put tons of toothpicks in it. We put it around a crystal bowl and put some candles around it. Every time my girl makes a sacrifice or really good deed, she removes a thorn.

We do stations every Friday. Mostly we go in the evenings at church but at least once or twice we go with friends during the day. We pack a lunch and go to the outdoor stations, use Stations for Children or something like that, and then picnic and visit after.

It's also during lent that we choose a new thing to abstain from. We abstain from meat at all times so when Fridays come along, we don't have anything to abstain from. So, every lent we choose a new thing. We haven't decided yet for this year. It's hard though b/c I intend to abstain from whatever it is but I often forget till I've already done it. It takes a while to kick in. I was thinking that this year I might send myself an email reminder every Friday. It's just for the first few weeks or so until the first few Fridays have passed. After that we tend to remember.

My daughter and I go to daily mass on Tuesdays and Thursdays and during Lent, like to add one more. In the past it was always Wednesday evening and Dad could go with us. This year, though, we have Challenge on Wednesdays. Our church doesn't have daily mass on Mondays and we'll be at stations on Friday. I'm thinking that this year we'll add an hour of adoration instead. There is a 24/7 adoration chapel here so we could do that any day.

We also like to make sacrifices and collect $ for them to give to the poor. For example, we'll plan out a big meal, one that everyone is craving, and figure out the price for it for our family. Then we'll have a loaf of homemade bread and butter instead. We put the money in a box and do that at least twice/wk during lent. At the end we donate the $. We started this several years ago when I was first learning how to make bread. That first year, it was a good idea b/c it was indeed a sacrifice. Now though, it's more of a treat. We should probably think of something else.

I'm pulling some ideas from this book (which is entirely online)

i like the Lenten Cross idea, and will incorporate the 40 readings.

i've been wanting to add candles to the Lent season, and like the idea of the xmas tree stump w/ a purple ribbon as a candleholder at the OP's blog. i think we'll use candle time to consider the last words of Christ.

This year i'll be giving each kiddo a purple folder w/ tabs and 40 pieces of paper. There will be a calendar glued to the back and a decorative cover on the front.

I picked up a "40 places in the Bible" [geography] that we'll be covering.

each day the kids will number and date the page, mark off the day on the calendar, write down a verse from the reading, add a small map about the location of the day, and that's about it for this year.

we have done half-size Advent booklets for years now, and I love looking at the personalize doodles and how they get better over the years! This will be the first Lenten Book we do. I'll probably add a couple of lapbook-style mini booklets to adhere to the inside of the covers, but i haven't decided what, exactly....

i did notice that there are Catholic Faith Folders-- lapbooks designed for religious lessons, inlcuing a Lenten one. Looks great: i need a Lutheran-esque type of one now, lol!

i believe there are some stories that lend themselves well to being read over Lent [Vinegar Boy? haven't read it-- remember it being recommended...], but i don't think there's any kid stories set up like Jotham's Journey......

OH! and we're not going to "abstain" this year, but will "take on" something instead. This year we are going to use the free materials from Operation Starfish:

http://www.starfishmission.org/getstarted_kit.cfm

the workbook is available free online in a pdf form---> here:http://support.foodforthepoor.org/site/TR?sid=1030&type=fr_informational&pg=informational&fr_id=1050

editing more:

one year we read through Psalm 22 verse by verse. It was perfect.

another year i pulled 40 FAQ's about Lent from a catholic site to learn more about "why Catholics do that".

Edited by Peek a Boo

For completely non-Lenten reasons I was looking into medieval Lenten recipes a few months ago. So, today's fun fact: The Lenten version of lasagne was made using ground walnuts. It beats me how they found the inclination to peel that many walnuts because it's a really tedious job!

Rosie

For completely non-Lenten reasons I was looking into medieval Lenten recipes a few months ago. So, today's fun fact: The Lenten version of lasagne was made using ground walnuts. It beats me how they found the inclination to peel that many walnuts because it's a really tedious job!

Rosie

hee hee-- sounds like a great job for a servant....;)

We had a fun tradition in my family to see who could come up with the funniest thing to give up for lent. It started when someone (who didn't smoke) said they were giving up smoking for lent. Then periodically we'd ask the person, how they were doing with giving up oregano or whatever. They'd provide a lament about how hard it was. Then when they were grumpy or happy or acting weird we'd say it must be the lack of oregano.

Rosie

I guess nut meat isn't such a recent innovation after all then.

I love walnuts, to me putting them in lasagne would definitely be a treat.

I guess, strictly speaking, this is not a family Lenten thing, but it is what I do.

In past years I have studied "Girl Meets God," "When Jesus Came to Harvard," "Business By the Book," "The Ministry of Motherhood," "When You Rise Up," and "The Fire and the Staff." I would not necessarily recommend the second one, although it was an interesting point of view.

Last year, because there were two big local shows about the Renaissance that closed right around the time of Ash Wednesday, I bought a big, beautiful book of Renaissance art work and studied one gorgeous painting after another. There is a tremendous amount of Biblical symbolism in Renaissance art, and it was a great jumping off point for reflection and prayer.

I have not selected a book for this year yet.

I'm new here, but I just thought I'd add what we do over the Lenten period.

We aim to only consume food and drinks that we've pre-prepared at home instead of buying food/drinks/snacks while we're out. We put the money we have saved in a bowl and at the end of lent donate it to the charity our family has chosen for that year.

I'm new here, but I just thought I'd add what we do over the Lenten period.

We aim to only consume food and drinks that we've pre-prepared at home instead of buying food/drinks/snacks while we're out. We put the money we have saved in a bowl and at the end of lent donate it to the charity our family has chosen for that year.

I think that's a really neat idea!

I'm looking for something other then the obvious fasting, abstinence, and alms giving. ;)

I compiled the ideas I have so far here: http://concordiaclassicalacademy.blogspot.com/2010/02/lenten-planning.html

But I'd really love more ideas. Anyone with family Lenten traditions? Wanna share? Recipes? Crafts?

I have some lentIL ideas. Does that count? ;)

As long as I can make them purple somehow, then yes. :D

I was thinking you could make a sculpture out of lentils and then paint it purple. A Lenten lentil Jesus sculpture, maybe?

(btw, people are going to think I'm making fun of your religion, H. They don't know we're chatting about this on AIM while we're commenting here ;) )

I was thinking you could make a sculpture out of lentils and then paint it purple. A Lenten lentil Jesus sculpture, maybe?

Well, we're already planning a purple lima bean cross, so I suppose that'd be reasonably thematic. Might be bordering a little to close to mockery for my husband's tastes, though.

This is an awesome book for Lenten recipes: http://www.emmanuelbooks.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=1236

Emmanuel Books also has wonderful reading suggestions!

Do you have this book? I was looking for Lenten cookbooks online today but since the Orthodox Lenten fast also includes "no dairy" for the 40 days (in addition to no meat), I need to know if this book has dairy in its recipes.

I guess nut meat isn't such a recent innovation after all then.

I love walnuts, to me putting them in lasagne would definitely be a treat.

No! It was nasty! I was on a time limit and didn't get to peel all the walnuts. All it was, was ground walnuts in layers between lasagne sheets with a good sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on top. Maybe it would have been ok if I had managed to peel them all.

:ack2:

Rosie

Do you have this book? I was looking for Lenten cookbooks online today but since the Orthodox Lenten fast also includes "no dairy" for the 40 days (in addition to no meat), I need to know if this book has dairy in its recipes.

I had it and cannot find it, so I just ordered it again to have for Lent because I love it so much. I am pretty sure it does have some dairy in it though.

Vegan cookbooks would help, wouldn't they?

Rosie

Check out this Very Cool blog for two awesome Lenten tea ideas: http://alicegunther.com/pages/teatime.htm I hope to do one Lenten and the Easter tea.

I also hope to make a countdown calendar in the shape of a lamb, with little squares on the body. Each day dc can glue on a cotton ball (unless I decide to go with stickers of some sort). I want to write the verse "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" somewhere on the paper as well. I saw the idea online but can't remember where.

For a craft I'm planning for us to make egg carton Lenten caterpillars, wrap them in coffee filter cocoons, then switch them out for Easter butterflies (didn't decide on which butterfly craft yet but I'm sure there's a lot of ideas online).

I'm considering making an Easter garden http://www.aholyexperience.com/2009/03/make-easter-garden-visual-parable.html but not sure if I'll be able to pull it off or not.

I also plan to set out some sort of display w/a wooden cross, grapevine wreath w/toothpick thorns, candles, etc.

We've never done anything for Lent before and I'm excited about it this year! Better get busy though...

For a craft I'm planning for us to make egg carton Lenten caterpillars, wrap them in coffee filter cocoons, then switch them out for Easter butterflies (didn't decide on which butterfly craft yet but I'm sure there's a lot of ideas online).

Ok, now that would be the coolest thing for a little kid.

a

Vegan cookbooks would help, wouldn't they?

Rosie

Yes!! Of course you're right. And I did look at those today too. My problem with the whole vegan thing is that I don't want to eat a lot of soy based products, and I loathe fakey things like margarine and IMO. I find that vegan cookbooks (whether Orthodox or not) use a lot of soy, and then some use the fakey things.

I'm considering making an Easter garden http://www.aholyexperience.com/2009/03/make-easter-garden-visual-parable.html but not sure if I'll be able to pull it off or not.

Oh! This is so neat! How did they get the hole in the stone? You could turn a pottery vase on its side, maybe? I would love a rock like Ann has. What a neat idea!

Thanks for sharing!

Oh! This is so neat! How did they get the hole in the stone? You could turn a pottery vase on its side, maybe? I would love a rock like Ann has. What a neat idea!

Thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! Ann's garden is so beautiful and her rock is so cool. Maybe I'll email her and ask about it.

That's why I said I don't know if I can pull it off or not, (the rock, all those neat plants) but I think it would be a beautiful visual for the season.