Menu

Re-examining 2nd...need some help please

stephanie

Dd8 is in 2nd, strong in math, but very behind in reading. She was tested and considered a 2E child, but that didn't bear too much effect on her schooling with the exception of our approach to phonics, mostly. I really want her reading to pick up so I am thinking of letting go of some of her studies that sometimes just seem like a check-off on her list. So here's what I'm thinking...

Math-Singapore 2A/2B with daily review of math facts

Writing-WWE2

Phonics-Phonics Pathways, ETC, and daily readers-spread throughout the day

Handwriting-copywork from writing or something I make up. She isn't able to do dictation yet because of her poor spelling and she needs to "see" it-She uses ZB cursive as well

Memory work-working on 13 colonies and major US rivers presently

Sequential Spelling-but have laid off lately just to focus on reading-Would like to drop altogether

Geography-Evan Moore, Atlases, History-all day we go to the map to locate places and talk about them-not too concerned about it

LIterature-LCC recs. Now doing Iliad...she just listens and answers comp. questions

Science-REAL Odysses-Chemistry-mostly listens and colors pages

History-SOTW3-she listens and colors pages

Music-we now are just listening to our TtR cd's. She actually asked me last week if we could listen to some Beethoven for the day. It was kind of nice!

Art-has been all free drawing. She has some books on how to draw things, but that's it

The subjects in bold print are the ones I'd really just like to focus on mainly. I'd really like to hear that I don't need to worry about the science, history, spelling, art, and music for now. Between schooling two other dc, I'd like my time with dd8 to really focus on the areas that she really NEEDS. Of course, my other dc were never like this so I'm at a loss as to how to approach this.

Any changes or recommendations are welcomed! My goal is to have her reading at or above her grade level by the end of the summer. Her tests indicated that she is a grade level below. She is not very fluent in her reading, despite letting her read below grade level.

Her math skills are wonderful-no problems there except that I have to read her word problems to her!

Hi Steph,

I only ever focus on reading/phonics, math, copywork (for handwriting, grammar/mechanics instruction), and small nature studies with my kids until they are solid readers (3+ grade reading level......the grammar/mechanics instruction stays very basic until then also. I simply focus on capital letters, punctuation marks, etc)

All of my kids have been taught this way and it hasn't hampered them academically in any way.

FWIW......I have a ds very much like what you describe. When he was younger, he was advanced in math but struggled with reading. He didn't read on grade level until late 3rd grade; however, he started algebra in 5th. Now as an 8th grader, he is very advanced in math/science. His reading is still very slow but definitely in the high school level ability wise. I just followed his pace in the individual subjects.

It will be fine. Teach her where she is and just constantly urge small forward progression.

The goal of the early elementary grades is to have a handle on basic math, the physical act of writing, and reading. You don't need grammar, science, music, history. All that can certainly come later. Or, you can have it incorporated into the reading.

As a mother with a child with disabilities, one of the best pieces of advice I have received was to make sure that she had plenty of work that was in her strong areas. The confidence that builds spills over into the weaker areas. I was tending to focus only on the area that needed building up which was only serving to tear her down. So, whatever area she finds easiest or enjoys the most, give her some independent projects to do. Freework in art is always a easy one there.;) Copywork is an excellent way to work on reading and spelling. I would suggest using the same piece for several days in a row.

It sounds to me like you are on the right track!

Since your main concern is reading and spelling, it might be a good idea to look at phonics programs that work well for kids with LDs. Ds learned to read (decode) using mainstream products (ETC, Pathways readers, LLATL) but his spelling just wasn't progressing. I finally got Abecedarian and it's noticeably improving his spelling. My next addition will be All About Spelling. The very explicit instruction in all the ways to write a sound and breaking apart a word was very helpful. There's a yahoo group called Heart of Reading that's a wealth of information or you can post on the Special Needs board here for more ideas.

:grouphug:, Stephanie

I think you've received some great advice already.

:iagree: My ds has made his greatest leaps when we have stayed consistent with the handwriting, phonics, or spelling practice. In his case his comprehension is well above his reading level. I make sure he is consistently reading at his level (slacked this week for sure! :glare:) and being read to from a higher level book.

Memory work has also been great for my ds as he memorizes things easily.

I would let her tag along with the others when your doing group stuff. I wouldn't set her apart to work on something that was a weakness at that time.

The other thing I would mention is to not overly stress getting her to grade level by a certain dates. Goals are great, and I would certainly strive for that, but be willing to adjust your sails, so to speak. Consistent improvement at her speed is more important.

Oh, one more thing (coffee is slowly kicking in this morning). As Lolly said copywork is great. I neglected that with ds as we focused on getting his reading up to speed. Because of that I'm now working on writing skills which should be further along than they are, partially because I let them slide to wayside.

remember slow and steady wins the race. :D

My .02

So here's what I'm thinking...

Math-Singapore 2A/2B with daily review of math facts

Geography-Evan Moore, Atlases, History-all day we go to the map to locate places and talk about them-not too concerned about it

Good.

Writing-WWE2

Phonics-Phonics Pathways, ETC, and daily readers-spread throughout the day

Handwriting-copywork from writing or something I make up. She isn't able to do dictation yet because of her poor spelling and she needs to "see" it-She uses ZB cursive as well

Memory work-working on 13 colonies and major US rivers presently

Sequential Spelling-but have laid off lately just to focus on reading-Would like to drop altogether

There is overlap here. I wholeheartedly concur with dropping Sequential Spelling. It looks like doubling up with both homemade copywork and WWE.

LIterature-LCC recs. Now doing Iliad...she just listens and answers comp. questions

Science-REAL Odysses-Chemistry-mostly listens and colors pages

History-SOTW3-she listens and colors pages

Music-we now are just listening to our TtR cd's. She actually asked me last week if we could listen to some Beethoven for the day. It was kind of nice!

Art-has been all free drawing. She has some books on how to draw things, but that's it

If she's listening in along with siblings, then no harm in continuing. If any of this is for her alone and is taking time away from the basics, then pitching it for now is a good idea.

Just my 2 cents w/o having read many of the replies--

You can double up subjects by offering readers that cover history and science topics. There are some easy readers that do this--I'm sure someone has a list, but they aren't hard to find.

I'd drop SSpelling and homemade copywork, or make the WWE2 copywork cover other subjects--even copy the memory work.

I would drop the Sequential Spelling and the homemade copy work. She's doing Zaner Bloser cursive and WWE. That's plenty.

I'm not sure Phonics Pathways is the best program for a struggling reader. There isn't enough focus on fluency nor enough review.

I think I would look at more explicit instruction. I don't think Explode the Code is the best choice for her. I would look into Abecedarian. http://www.abcdrp.com It's a superb choice for teaching kids to read who are struggling. Research based and all that.

I would also use a systematic approach to connected text. I would use the I See Sam books. They have a placement test. Again, it's one of the best programs for kids with dyslexia.

I would also consider Headsprout. I think it really is good for building fluency, and it's fun. And she can do it independently.

All About Spelling would also be something to consider.

So, I would do: ABeCeDarian or All About Spelling

reading connected text from I See Sam books

Headsprout.

The goal of the early elementary grades is to have a handle on basic math, the physical act of writing, and reading. You don't need grammar, science, music, history. All that can certainly come later. Or, you can have it incorporated into the reading.

As a mother with a child with disabilities, one of the best pieces of advice I have received was to make sure that she had plenty of work that was in her strong areas. The confidence that builds spills over into the weaker areas. I was tending to focus only on the area that needed building up which was only serving to tear her down. So, whatever area she finds easiest or enjoys the most, give her some independent projects to do. Freework in art is always a easy one there.;) Copywork is an excellent way to work on reading and spelling. I would suggest using the same piece for several days in a row.

It sounds to me like you are on the right track!

:iagree: