Menu

audio stories for the younger crowd?

MeganW

I have been trying to implement some of the suggestions here, but man am I failing!

Most recently, I checked out the audio recording of Charlotte's Web from the library. It is being read by the author, and he has a very nice reading voice.

My kids are LOST. I am stopping every few minutes and giving them a little summary, because they just do not get it.

Really, are everyone else's older 4s that into it? I should add that I have been reading to them LOTS from the very beginning (well, since they started sleeping through the night at a few months old, anyway!). But definitely nothing as hard/detailed/long as Charlotte's Web. Is that the prolem? I just haven't challenged them enough?

Can somebody give me some suggestions of recordings I might check out of the library that might be a little easier? When I was a kid, we used to have these little record players and books, and it chimed when you were supposed to turn the page. But they were much easier than Charlotte's Web. Is there anything like that still out there?

(We spend a LOT of time in the car due to medical / therapy appointments. So the thought of something a little more productive and less mind-numbing than singing for the 200 hours a week is appealing!)

I'd suggest starting with audiobooks at the level they're accustomed to. Some already familiar titles might be good just to get them used to listening to an unfamiliar voice.

Charlotte's Web was our first big chapter books, but there's a big difference between having a reader in the room checking to make sure they're understanding, and who will stop and explain if needed, than a CD that carries on no matter what.

We check out the audio books that you are describing from our library - there are lots of Dr. Suess ones. But we also check out things like Charlotte's Web and Trumpet of the Swan (ds loves E. B. White). I don't actually check to see if the kids understand them. I don't think it matters. They are being immersed in well written books and good vocabulary this way. Eventually they will read these books for themselves and they may remember hearing the story before, but it doesn't matter at 4 or 6 if they "get" the story.

I do know they catch at least bits and pieces of them because sometimes ds or dd will mention something about the story. We do chapter book read alouds each day too - books that are for the most part way over their heads (like right now we are reading The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling and I know that sometimes they just have no idea what is going on, but we keep on going at it). We read for about 15 minutes (sometimes more) at a time and stop whether we are at the end of a chapter or not. It is relaxing and it is a good excuse to cuddle on the couch each day! :)

I tried Winnie the Pooh and my kids got lost. It had to do with changing the narrator. First it was the author talking, then it was Christopher Robin, then it was CR inside the story, then Pooh, then back to CR as the kid - but not in the story. My kids were like :001_huh::confused: Maybe if the voice had changed it would have made it more clear.

My library has all audio books outside the kids section near the DVDs and CDs, but inside the kids area are the younger kids audio books that have an actual book with them. Unfortunately lots of these are on tape and we don't have a tape player very handy, but I get the ones I can on CD. They my son (he's 5) can keep the book on his lap as we drive along and try to follow along with the pics.

Or we will also use the regular audio of books that are for younger kids like Magic Tree House, Hank the Cowdog, Dr. Seuss, anything that's more for a 1st or 2nd grader will work for one that young. Simpler stories and vocabulary.

Get your hands on some Jim Weiss recordings. If your library doesn't have any, start buying them!! His story tapes and cds were a childhood staple at our house for years and years. He is often a guest at homeschool conferences and is the introductory voice on an Mp3 I just downloaded from Peacehill Press over the weekend.

This is his website that lists all his many titles: Jim Weiss

I also suggest some of the Classics for Kids recordings as well as Peter and the Wolf, and the Carnival of the Animals. Try some other titles, too, by Beverly Cleary and Lynn Reid Banks or by Dick King Smith.

My kids are 6 & 3 and listening right now. :) It's part of our "resting" ritual. They gladly listen to anything I pick, as long as they are allowed to stay awake. I also transfer them to my Zune for the 5 hr roundtrips to visit my Mother.

ETA: Whoops -- forgot my suggestions! How about some shorter items at first, like Corduroy or The Emperor's New Clothes? Oh, and right now, for instance, on audible.com, under the kids Ages 0-4 section, they have Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, Rapunzel, and Papa Do you Love Me? available for free. You can put them right on your computer and then transfer later to another device if you want. HTH.

Edited by nono

I usually don't do an audiobook until after I have read something aloud to them. Then it is familiar to them and they are happy to hear it. While reading it, I can stop and discuss something with them or explain things or answer questions.

There is a section in our library with the simpler storybooks accompanied by cd's with someone reading the books aloud.

I like the Rabbit Ears folk tales recordings that I've gotten from my library -- they tend to be about 20 min or so long and are well produced. We've also gotten some other short books on CD or tape (e.g. Blueberries for Sal); some of the do have the chime option on one side. A couple chapters of "Homer Price" are somewhat hilarious, so we've enjoyed those (the recording at our library only has 4 or so of the chapters on CD). I try to get things that can be listened to in chunks, instead of a long sequential story. You might also try Laura Ingalls Wilder books (each chapter is like its own story) or Mrs Piggle Wiggle. Beatrix Potter?

My kids tend to be more interested in books they already know, too.

I don't actually check to see if the kids understand them. I don't think it matters. They are being immersed in well written books and good vocabulary this way. Eventually they will read these books for themselves and they may remember hearing the story before, but it doesn't matter at 4 or 6 if they "get" the story.

:iagree: this is our approach too. And I find later that they have understood way more than I expected. :)

:iagree: this is our approach too. And I find later that they have understood way more than I expected. :)

Same here. We don't stop it and chat about it, but sometimes when we're out of the van I'll talk about the story. "Oh, I really like the part about Aslan and the mice, did you?" We're on the fifth in the Narnia chronicles and there's much that's way over their heads, but they really like them and beg to listen when we get in the van. The stories work their way into imaginative play, too. It takes some time and they definitely won't "get" all of it, but keep at it!

This year we've listened to The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall and the Chronicles of Narnia. We've also started reading long books in the house, too. It took a little while to get them used to long books versus picture books. Good luck!

P.S. I meant to double quote the person who Caitilin was quoting...

Find some of the audiobooks at the library that are just readings of picture books, maybe even ones that they're familiar with. For example, we have some older cassettes of picture books such as A Story About Ping, or some McCloskey titles. You could also get collections--Beatrix Potter or fables or fairy tales that have short stories, and just have them listen to maybe one at a time until they get used to it.

My eldest voraciously listens to audiobooks (she's listening to one now during rest time) and the youngers have just picked it up. It's a great way to expose your dc to great literature without wearing out your throat!!

Get your hands on some Jim Weiss recordings. If your library doesn't have any, start buying them!! His story tapes and cds were a childhood staple at our house for years and years. He is often a guest at homeschool conferences and is the introductory voice on an Mp3 I just downloaded from Peacehill Press over the weekend.

I also suggest some of the Classics for Kids recordings as well as Peter and the Wolf, and the Carnival of the Animals. Try some other titles, too, by Beverly Cleary and Lynn Reid Banks or by Dick King Smith.

:iagree:

Also, if your library has the combination of the audio plus the actual book that might be a good place to start. Four is quite young for something like Charlotte's Web, so maybe you should start with some picture books. Or not.:) Maybe just keep reading picture books for awhile and don't worry about it for now.

Woolybear

Get your hands on some Jim Weiss recordings. If your library doesn't have any, start buying them!!

We love Weiss here. My 4yo is especially interested right now in his "Uncle Wiggly's Storybook," "Animal Tales" and "American Tall Tales."

We also have Mother Goose in the "Wee Sing" collection that he likes quite a bit.

First of all, don't worry! You haven't failed them! ;) We did Charlotte's Web when my girls were almost 5 and almost 3. I read it. Then they watched the movie. Then, and only then, did we do the audio version.

Now, in my house, my 5-year-old asks a million questions, whether she's reading alone, I'm reading to her, or we're listening. A. Million. Questions. At least! :lol: So that doesn't change here if it's audio or not. I'm getting used to simply pausing the CD in the car, answering the question, and restarting. Words usually just wash over my 3-year-old. So some of that may be personality.

That said, my 3-year-old really loves listening to audio. I push Winnie-the-Pooh because I love it, but she'd never choose it. She doesn't choose Charlotte's Web, either (though DD5 does). Her favorites are Frog and Toad and Frances. The Frances voice grates on me. Lobel does a nice job, and there are a few compilations. Mercy Watson is also popular. Um...what else?

I'll second the Weiss suggestion. DD5 really loves his various stories (again, with a million interruptions, of course). I definitely agree that you don't have to worry so much about comprehension as the goal is exposure. However, I also think it's better to keep the stories a bit more familiar when you're first starting with audio. Good luck! Singing for that long would probably make me a bit batty, too (by the way, I highly recommend Ralph's World or Ralph Covert for music that as a parent I can enjoy AND the kids adore him, too).

Find anything by Rabbit Ears Productions. They are typically short stories - Beatrix Potter, folk tales, etc (I think they even do Bible stories) - read by well-known actors. We now own several and DS6 loves them. They read slowly. With great inflection. Easy to follow.

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for this recommendation!! This is exactly what I have been looking for and unable to find on my own. You have totally made my day! :D

My kids are LOST. I am stopping every few minutes and giving them a little summary, because they just do not get it.

Really, are everyone else's older 4s that into it? I should add that I have been reading to them LOTS from the very beginning (well, since they started sleeping through the night at a few months old, anyway!). But definitely nothing as hard/detailed/long as Charlotte's Web. Is that the prolem? I just haven't challenged them enough?

How do you know they "don't get it"? Are you asking them questions, or are they interrupting with questions? I started my son out listening to Island of the Blue Dolphin while he quietly played with his blocks, etc on the floor. It was "background noise". If he did ask about something over his head, I encouraged him to "listen to the lady" to be polite, and he quickly learned to just listen. He has probably listened to that book 20 times since then (every time I'm about to purge it, he drags it out and spends 3 days listening to it over and over every chance he gets).

He did stop me a few times to get straightened out listening to Naxos's recording of The Iliad for children, but other than that, he'll get up and rewind and start again if he is puzzled.

Stuart Little, Cricket in Times Square, MPO's Odyssey and then Naxos's Norse God, Greek Gods read by Benjamin Soames have been his favorites, as well as the Hobbit.

How do you know they "don't get it"? Are you asking them questions, or are they interrupting with questions? I started my son out listening to Island of the Blue Dolphin while he quietly played with his blocks, etc on the floor. It was "background noise". If he did ask about something over his head, I encouraged him to "listen to the lady" to be polite, and he quickly learned to just listen. He has probably listened to that book 20 times since then (every time I'm about to purge it, he drags it out and spends 3 days listening to it over and over every chance he gets).

He did stop me a few times to get straightened out listening to Naxos's recording of The Iliad for children, but other than that, he'll get up and rewind and start again if he is puzzled.

Stuart Little, Cricket in Times Square, MPO's Odyssey and then Naxos's Norse God, Greek Gods read by Benjamin Soames have been his favorites, as well as the Hobbit.

I was asking questions to see if they were getting it and they couldn't answer any of them. Extremely easy basic comprehension questions. I really think they all quit listening b/c they were lost. "What kind of animal is Wilbur?" "Um, what are we having for dinner?" Grrr! The classic I-have-no-clue-maybe-Mom-won't-notice-if-I-change-the-subject.

I requested a bunch of other audiotapes that are a little easier based on everyone's recommendations from the library - THANK YOU!