Menu

What is your favorite Math and LA for 2nd grade????

cam112198

You can see what we use in my sig. Basically Rod and Staff, although I do not use the reading program. We do reading ala WTM.. reading good books from the SOTW A.G. lists and writing narrations, plus whatever strikes our fancy.

I haven't used anything else, but I love R&S. I haven't had any reason to try anything else.

I have really enjoyed the R&S Grammar for my second grade ds. We do most of it aloud. He does copy the memory work and rules into his notebook. I know he is getting a great foundation for grammar and it's pretty painfree to get through usually taking 10 minutes or so.

We've also loved Math on the Level. The 5 a days are perfect for him and I'm able to keep everyone on similar skills. That's important for me.

Just for fun I was wondering what your choices are for 2nd grade Math and LA? LA can be a complete or something like FLL, WWE, and AAS.

For second grade math we used MUS.

For language arts we used AAS, Mad Libs and EZ Grammar Daily Grams, and copywork. He was already reading fluently, so we folded that in with our history studies (chosing literature relevant to the era in history we were studying). We also did copywork, which I pulled from our reading selections, to reinforce grammar and spelling lessons. Copywork also served as penmanship because I had him do each selection in cursive (which was also began that year).

For math:

Saxon Math 2 and then 3 (we'll finish both before 3rd grade)

For language arts:

Rod & Staff English 2

All About Spelling levels 1, 2 & 3

Writing with Ease level 2

He does cursive already (learned in 1st) so his copywork for WWE is done in cursive. Actually, he does his R&S English in cursive and the dictation for AAS in cursive.

We're just getting ready to try DITHOR but for now he's been reading up a storm anything he can get his hands on.

Haven't done it yet, but here are my plans...

Language Arts:

• Primary Language Lessons (Living Books is coming out with this in workbook format, which might be nice)
  • Copywork from Happy Scribe
  • Natural Speller or ETC 3 & 4
  • Elson Readers

Math:

• I think we're going with McRuffy 2nd Grade Math

Have taught gr 2 more than once. Here's my picks:

BJU Math 2 - love it

BJU English - we skip the writing assignments and just do the grammar sections. If we do a writing assignment, I don't make them do all the re-writing, which I think kills all joy. For writing, I think just letting writing happen as the mood strikes is working the best for us.

BJU Spelling is so-so. It's easy because it uses word-families. Kids like a workbook format for spelling.

Reading - we have been using BJU (notice a trend?) but I think if I could do it over, we'd just skip it and use real books. It's a fine review of phonics and other skills though. But once my current 2nd gr'er finishes the book, I'm going to drop reading.

We use:

- math:

a. spine: math mammoth light blue 2.

b. enrichment: MEP (select problems) and S-pore CWP (challenging problem sections only).

WHy :

- thorough

- easy to implement.

- easy to understand and painless.

- challenging.

- LA:

a. Galore Park Junior English 1.

Why? fun, challenging, various assignment and aspects of language, not boring, light in grammar (but I think it's sufficient for second grade) and meets the needs for my ds to compose bizarre stories with me acting as his scribe.

b. 1st Step Writing

Why ? painless way to get my ds to physically write and compose and it also contains grammar in context of writing.

c. 1st Step Dictation

Why? easy to implement, age appropriate, not just word list, spiral.

Between the above LA programs, I think we cover enough and in a fun /painless way. They are suitable for my boy who is a boy with over active imagination and loves silly things.

Haven't done it yet, but here are my plans...

Language Arts:

• Primary Language Lessons (Living Books is coming out with this in workbook format, which might be nice)

[

Do you know when Living Books will have the PLL workbooks available? I saw their Intermediate ones and they look really good. I'm anxious to see the PLL version.

Thanks

Heather

We use Rod and Staff for math. I don't do any formal grammar in 2nd grade. We just continue reading with Pathway Readers. I used R&S spelling in 2nd grade for my oldest, but I didn't like it, so I'm not sure what I will do with my middle for spelling next year.