Menu

PE class

Guest janainaz

My ds9 did when he was 6/7. I think physical exercise is an important part of every day. I also think learning about your health and how to take care of your body is important to teach your kids. To me, that is something that can be accomplished on a daily basis, through modeling. If your child is in a sport, I don't see a big need for P.E. Even if your child does not participate in a sport, exercise can be accomplished at the park, walking the dog, riding a bike, etc.

There are a lot of fun homeschool P.E. classes available and it certainly spices up the week to have an afternoon dedicated to playing actively with other kids. I consider that to be a fun thing and not necessary to my child's education.

It depends. My kids have participated in a homeschool PE class, and now they are in PE at the public school. My kids are very active, and they don't need any incentive to move. I put them in public school PE to meet other kids and to learn about various sports. I must reluctantly admit that the public school PE experience has been much, much better. FWIW, my kids are young, so I don't know what an older kid PE class would look like at the public school.

As an adult, sports are often a conversation topic for ice breakers or small talk. I want my kids to feel comfortable participating in those type of conversations. If your family is into sports - playing and watching - at home, then you most likely don't need a PE class. We don't do much of either, so my kids have to learn the lingo somewhere else.

I think lots of physical exercise is important - at least an hour a day. I don't think a PE class is the only way to make that happen, but it can be helpful. I personally think for my kids that experiencing a well-run PE class is a great way to build skills in areas that we may not get to and to try new things. Also, a well-run PE class should be fun and associate fitness with fun.

I have had experience with poorly run PE classes and well-run PE classes. It pays to observe.

Do I think that ALL kids need PE class? no, not really. Do I think ALL kids need lots of exercise? Yes, unless they have a physical problem where exercise would make it worse. Exercise helps the brain work better as well.

Thanks! Ds7 has been doing weekly PE at the YMCA this year because our homeschool group participates in it. But I'm thinking about quitting the HS group which would make it awkward to continue going to PE. Basically, the only kids in the PE class are the HS group kids. Plus, I drive about 35 mins each way for a 45 minute PE class. With this pregnancy progresses, I'm just not sure I'm going to be able to keep up with it. I'm high risk for preterm labor so there's a possibility I'll end up on at least partial bed rest. Dh seems like he doesn't want me to quit it though. Ds7 does play soccer and baseball - each lasts about 8 weeks so it's not like he's not involved in sports.

Maybe I should be more concerned about the social aspect and the kids missing that. Guess that should be a new thread...

I don't get my kids outside as often as I should. Our yard isn't fenced and I don't feel like I can send them out without supervision so they don't get out that much. Especially in the winter because I despise cold weather. I'd be happy staying home from November until about March if I could. So I have my kids take PE. It's once a week for a hour and half. I figure it helps with some of the exercise they probably don't get at home plus they are learning the rules to several team type games that I wouldn't remember to teach them because I also hate sports.

There are a lot of fun homeschool P.E. classes available and it certainly spices up the week to have an afternoon dedicated to playing actively with other kids.

Not "necessary", but good, worthwhile, fun, educational, socializing, time away from Pop, etc. Hubby is having fun teaching his little trio of older non-swimmers to swim.

My children do a HS P.E. via our City Rec department once a week.

I do think it is important. My two DS are vastly different. DS11 is very athletic, participates and excells in team sports throughout the year. But other than the team sports, he doesn't do much playing outside. Not alot of children his age on our street, and nothing for him to do, so he says.

DS6 is not so athletic, and thus far, has not enjoyed any team sports we insisted he try (soccer and baseball). We keep offering him different options, and he nixes each one. He did do Karate for about six months and although he seemed to enjoy it, towards the end it became a struggle to get him to attend. There are several boys his age on our street, and DS6 loves to play outside with his friends. On weekends, if we are home, he literally will be outside all day long, coming in only for meals. He just doesn't want to have to be in a competitive environment.

DS11 is in HS P.E, because one, he needs another hour of exercise. Any movement is good for him. But two, he enjoys any sport and so it is fun for him. I also think a P.E. class is one of the few HS classes you can take where you can really interact with the children, instead of sitting at a table and listening to a teacher the whole time.

DS6 is in HS P.E. because he needs to learn about team sports, and if he won't actually join any, this is a good exposure. I really think you should at least learn the basics of common sports, ie basketball, kickball, tennis, etc, even if you end up not liking it. At least you are not completely clueless about it.

Sadly, I have seen alot of HS children who are just kind of "clueless" about group games, team sports, etc. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but it does certainly make them the "odd man out" at times.

my kids are too independent to participate in a "PE" class. I'm thinking of adding individual classes as they get older (not sure if 8yos is ready for a 'class' or not, he REALLY prefers doing his own thing, so it will NOT be a group sport type class; 6yod would do great with dance or gymnastics, I think).

My older two have PE once a week through a homeschool program. Their friends are there too, plus they have made some new friends in class. They don't "need" PE - they play baseball all fall and all spring, and we swim a few times a week in the summer. We also bike ride as a family. But, the PE class helps us to get out of the house another day a week (we have two scheduled "park days" - one is PE day as we stay after and play longer, and the other is when we meet my bf at the library with her hs'ed kids and then play), and it's an easy way to expose my boys to other games, as well as taking direction/learning from someone either than us. I don't see us giving it up anytime soon. :D

What I loved about the PE class ds attended for 5 years (and dd for 2) were the things the class gave that I couldn't: a teacher who was *deeply* enthusiastic about fitness (I like the idea, lol, and I'm not a complete slug, but I don't *live* to be physically active either ;)) and the introduction to team and playground games that just plain don't work with only 2-3 participants. I want my kids to be comfortable jumping into a pick-up game of [insert basic sport] that they might not get the chance to learn to play in our daily lives.

I had good and bad experiences with PE in school, and I'm sure that PE classes available to home schoolers vary widely as well. The class we participated in was a great social outlet, good for physical activity, and fabulous for introducing my kids to basic skills they might not have learned elsewhere.

This year we were not able to make the PE class a part of our schedule, and I'm sorry for that. I certainly think my kids get plenty of activity each week (they both take ballet 3 times a week, played soccer with the local Rec league in the fall, spend lots of time playing outside with friends and neighbors), but I'm sorry they're not getting the chance to work more closely on specific skills and be exposed to various activities under the guidance and encouragement of an enthusiastic coach who loves fitness and kids very much.