Menu

Poll: What size pencil do you start your kindergartener with?

What size pencil does (did) your kindergartener use?  

1. 1. What size pencil does (did) your kindergartener use?

• Regular size (no. 2 style, either mechanical or not)
    • fat pencil
    • other

I read somewhere that the fat ones are actually harder for little hands to manage, and that the ideal would be the short golf pencils because they force a better triangle grip. We just used the regular, though - less $ and no transition issues later.

My oldest preferred the fat pencils, but my dd and youngest ds like regular size #2 pencils. I had a few fat ones still laying around and bought some fat triangular ones for my youngest and he hated them. Wouldn't use them again after the first time.

I may look into the short pencils for him though. He'd like those just because they are "Little" LOL

Ok... so I voted regular # 2s... but I actually JUST started making my 6.5 yr old write, and I put one of the finger grips on it. It has two pretty same sized spots and then 1 larger one. It demands that he holds his fingers properly, which is what he needed... he had a serious weird grip on the pencil. :-)

Ok... so I voted regular # 2s... but I actually JUST started making my 6.5 yr old write, and I put one of the finger grips on it. It has two pretty same sized spots and then 1 larger one. It demands that he holds his fingers properly, which is what he needed... he had a serious weird grip on the pencil. :-)

similar here.

not sure what they are called, but the grips my kids LOVE is a weird pear-shaped sort of thing. It has the depressions for correct finger placement and a bulbous section that your fingers naturally curl around. They were like $3 each, not the cheapy quarter ones..... They fit around a regular sized pencil.

we write and draw on EV.RY.THING.

eta: i think it's the grip shown here:

http://www.toyscamp.com/the-jumbo-pencil-grip-single-grip-p-pg11401.htm

Edited by Peek a Boo

Regular #2s here. I won't let them use mechanical pencils because they like to play with the leads and that's a nuisance. I tried the pencil grips and decided they were only playtoys, not for the real world.

I still sharpen most of my littles pencils so that playing with the sharpener doesn't become a problem. The 7yo does some of his outside of school time.

The older boys love mechanical pencils.

Wanted to add that we have push-a-point pencils too--I don't know what the official name is, but I found pics on Amazon and that's what this particular brand calls them.

51EHA%2BGokSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Sort of like a mechanical pencil, but dc can't just click away, wasting lead. In fact, I don't think they even know yet how to get to the next lead, or even that you might need to. :001_smile: