Menu

Homemade Baby Gift--need ideas

I'm looking for a high impact, easy to make baby gift. Is there such a thing? My nephew and his wife are having their first baby (a boy) in April. Could be something sentimental or something useful. Would be great if it were both. I am particularly close to this nephew and would like to give something very special.

I am only moderately crafty. I do not have a sewing machine. I can knit a scarf (all knitting, have never perled) but have never knit anything else.

Do you have any ideas? Do you have links to photos/instructions?

Grateful for any ideas. Thanks!

If you can sew, you can make a hooded baby towel using a regular bath towel and hand towel.

http://www.makeandtakes.com/easy-hooded-bath-towel

They can really look neat if you get ribbon and sew around the ends where the terry isn't fluffy. Roll the towel up when finished, and then use the hood and stick a cute rubber duckie in there. These sell for $30+ in Houston. These are so much better than those tiny baby towels they sell. My kids used theirs for many years after babyhood. I think the last one just got put in the rag bag (last baby is 9yo!)

A harder sewing project would be a shopping cart cover. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/cart_cover.html This is the first one I came up with, but I'm sure there are others.

"High Impact"--that made me smile.

Be careful in setting a precedence...but if that happens, you can always become a "selfish" crafter later.

If it's a first baby, blankets are good. Generally, families have more than enough blankets after the first is born. I think you could also make a super cute garter stitch baby hat...or just learn to purl and make any of the other awesome baby items out there. In my experience, hand knit hats are the biggest crowd pleasers...mamas can't get enough of the cute accessories.

My aunt made one of our kids a "taggie blanket". Instructions for making one are in many places on the internet (see http://www.chicaandjo.com/2008/07/22/make-your-own-taggie-blankets/). It's a microfleece or fleece double-sided small blanket, with ribbon tags sewn into the edges. They're fun for babies and little kids to finger and play with the taggie ends, or to chew on. My aunt included fun ribbons with different patterns and textures.

Erica in OR

If you can sew, you can make a hooded baby towel using a regular bath towel and hand towel.

You can do Animals for the hood/head part... that looks really cool:-) I love those, you can always do a wash cloth to match. Consider making it big enough to use for a 3-4 year old... and it'll be a favorite one for years:-)

If you go with a diaper cake, be careful of what sort of "trim" you put on it: we got about 20 spoons on ours, which is WAY more that we needed, and a bunch of pacifiers, which I hate and threw away. The diapers were nice, but the trims were a pain. It's probably snarky and ungrateful to feel that way, but I felt like it was a waste of their money, and I have a hard time with waste. I'm sure if you put thought into the trim bits you can do a better job.

If you have a friend with a sewing machine you can make a double-sided flannel blanket. Get 2 pieces of fabric that are the same size. I like squares better than rectangles, but that's a personal thing. Put right sides together, and sew a straight line all the way around, leaving about 6-8 inches open. Turn it right side out and press it. Go back and sew, about 1/4 inch in from the edge, all the way around. This will close up the opening. It's a great first project for a new sewer, and I'll bet you know someone with a machine that would let you. I made several of these for my Monkey when he was born, and they're so nice: great in a carseat, nice for putting on the floor, nursing coverups, you name it. My folks also gave us some cute ones that were very similar, and we still use them some, 3 1/2 years later. I'll definitely be making some new ones for this next baby.

How about a fleece blanket? You just cut and tie the ends. It is super easy and they make nice cuddle blankets or something to put on the floor.

I agree with the fleece blanket idea. If you could possibly borrow a sewing machine you could make a couple of large receiving blankets. That was my favorite shower gift and I used them ALL the time! I even started making them as shower gifts. You get a yard and a quarter each of flannel (it looks best if one side has a cute print, and the other side is a matching solid), sew them together most of the way with the right sides facing, turn it right-side out, sew up the hole, and then sew around the edge of the blanket, about a quarter of an inch from the edge. It's easy and so useful. It's impossible to find receiving blankets that are large enough to swaddle a baby beyond the first couple of months. I also used them on the floor when they were doing tummy time. Seriously, it was the best, most useful baby-gift ever! I will often make 2 of those and give those along with the book The Happiest Baby On The Block as a shower gift.

One of the most useful things I received with my babies was LARGE receiving blankets. Those tiny things you buy in the store are useless! But I had friends make me large ones that were about double or triple the size, and they've been so handy! I know you said you don't have a sewing machine, but if you can borrow one from a friend then this would be a great gift.

If you know the baby's name you could find a site that offers name meanings and print a description off (giving credit) on some really nice paper and pop it in a sweet frame.

A gift of service, perhaps in the form of coupons in a pretty decorated jar, would be lovely. You could include things like a home-cooked meal, help with laundry, time holding the baby so mama can take a nap, tending to any pets, running errands, etc. All the things that are super helpful when you have a new baby in the house and need the extra hands.

A nursing necklace is a fun and easy thing to make. Get some nice soft cord and some child-friendly beads. Knot the cord between each bead for safety, or do it macrame style.

You could have family members and friends write notes and wishes for the baby and pull them all together in a pretty scrapbook, with a spot for a picture of him on the cover.

So many sweet things you can do! Have fun deciding! :D

I agree with the fleece blanket idea. If you could possibly borrow a sewing machine you could make a couple of large receiving blankets. That was my favorite shower gift and I used them ALL the time! I even started making them as shower gifts. You get a yard and a quarter each of flannel (it looks best if one side has a cute print, and the other side is a matching solid), sew them together most of the way with the right sides facing, turn it right-side out, sew up the hole, and then sew around the edge of the blanket, about a quarter of an inch from the edge. It's easy and so useful. It's impossible to find receiving blankets that are large enough to swaddle a baby beyond the first couple of months. I also used them on the floor when they were doing tummy time. Seriously, it was the best, most useful baby-gift ever! I will often make 2 of those and give those along with the book The Happiest Baby On The Block as a shower gift.

I cross-posted with you. I really couldn't agree more!!!

If you go with a diaper cake, be careful of what sort of "trim" you put on it: we got about 20 spoons on ours, which is WAY more that we needed, and a bunch of pacifiers, which I hate and threw away. The diapers were nice, but the trims were a pain. It's probably snarky and ungrateful to feel that way, but I felt like it was a waste of their money, and I have a hard time with waste. I'm sure if you put thought into the trim bits you can do a better job.

If you have a friend with a sewing machine you can make a double-sided flannel blanket. Get 2 pieces of fabric that are the same size. I like squares better than rectangles, but that's a personal thing. Put right sides together, and sew a straight line all the way around, leaving about 6-8 inches open. Turn it right side out and press it. Go back and sew, about 1/4 inch in from the edge, all the way around. This will close up the opening. It's a great first project for a new sewer, and I'll bet you know someone with a machine that would let you. I made several of these for my Monkey when he was born, and they're so nice: great in a carseat, nice for putting on the floor, nursing coverups, you name it. My folks also gave us some cute ones that were very similar, and we still use them some, 3 1/2 years later. I'll definitely be making some new ones for this next baby.

When you say trim, you mean all of the 'fixins'? Not the ribbon that ties around the layers? Were the diapers messed up from having rubber bands around them? What size diapers would be good to use? Is this a lame gift :tongue_smilie:? I have a lot of cousins that are about to start having babies, and I think I could do a cool version of this..thanks for your help :)

Edited by helena
spelling

I do this, but with fleece on one side. A friend made them for my twins when they were born and one still carries hers around (8.5 years later). They are super easy, but look like more (especially if you pick a print that has some meaning or significance to the family).

My fave "high impact" baby gift is a basic Rubbermaid bin/tote. We write all sorts of neat baby quotes in sharpie marker [or paint] and maybe a few decorative swirls/lines. That's about my extent of "crafty" lol! We place some consumables in it [baby shampoo, powder, diaper rash cream, etc], and it serves as a great place to store sentimental baby stuff [like all those personalized blankets.... ;) ]

When you say trim, you mean all of the 'fixins'? Not the ribbon that ties around the layers? Were the diapers messed up from having rubber bands around them? What size diapers would be good to use? Is this a lame gift :tongue_smilie:? I have a lot of cousins that are about to start having babies, and I think I could do a cool version of this..thanks for your imput :)

The concept of a diaper cake is kind of cool, especially for a baby shower centerpiece, but the execution seems to be a bit more difficult.

The diapers we were given didn't work for us. They had bought one of the cheap brands, which Monkey was too "juicy" for: we ended up giving them all away because they leaked Every.Single.Time. Though I can remember my parents using the cheap diapers on some of my youngest siblings, so I know not everyone has that problem. We never could go with the cheap diapers. But I don't think that it was because of any damage they'd received from the ribbons or rubber bands or anything like that. It was just off-brand diapers. We loved Huggies, and as a bonus, I've got friends who work for K-C, in the Huggies department, so we like them for that reason too.

By "trim" I mean all the decorations you put on the cake. One of the cool things that was on there was this cute angel-bear with a rattle in it, that she'd put on the very top. I don't recall how it was attached, but I've still got it, and will get it out for this next baby. The spoons she put on were a good idea - but we don't need 20+ of them, and that's about how many we got, if I remember correctly. I kept the colors I wanted and donated the rest to my favorite thrift shop, which I'm sure is not what she had in mind. And that made me sad. I sent the pacifiers with them, I think, or maybe gave them to a friend as Monkey was the 2nd of 6 babies born in 6 weeks at church right then, and I hate pacifiers and didn't want them. Obviously, she'd gone to some effort and expense, but there was maybe a little less of thought that had gone into it. Though it was quite pretty to look at. I just think that if you put more thought into the process it can probably be done with less duplication and waste. There are so many cool baby things out there. And maybe this is one of those situations where less is more: less trim in general. The main gift is the diapers, after all. The rest is mostly "extras."

As for size, my babies hardly wear newborn diapers, so I'd probably do size 1, were I to make a diaper cake.

How about a fleece blanket? You just cut and tie the ends. It is super easy and they make nice cuddle blankets or something to put on the floor.
:iagree:http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/ideas/pom-jan03.htm like this. My DS loves his. He likes to fiddle with the ends.

http://www.lorisnursingnecklaces.com/ A nursing necklace is also great. Maybe you could personalize it by selecting the beads.

I'm looking for a high impact, easy to make baby gift. Is there such a thing? My nephew and his wife are having their first baby (a boy) in April. Could be something sentimental or something useful. Would be great if it were both. I am particularly close to this nephew and would like to give something very special.

I am only moderately crafty. I do not have a sewing machine. I can knit a scarf (all knitting, have never perled) but have never knit anything else.

Do you have any ideas? Do you have links to photos/instructions?

Grateful for any ideas. Thanks!

Oh, I have the perfect idea. These were given to me with my first baby, and I've made them for many moms and they've always been well used and well loved... Burp cloths!

I buy a dozen cloth diapers, and wash them (I like the diamond weave ones). I buy baby-themed ribbon, 1 yd each of six different designs. I cut the ribbons in half, so they are each 18 inches long. I pin a length of ribbon on one edge of each diaper, folding under the ends. I sew the ribbon onto the diaper. Voila! 12 adorable, super-absorbant, wonderfully soft burp cloths!

I like to fold the cloths neatly in a stack, then wrap them in a receiving blanket (you could make no-sew one out of fleece). Then, instead of tape, stick the corners of the blanket through a teething ring, creating a floppy bow.

I've used my original diaper/burp cloths with all three of my kids, and they're still good. My friends rave about them. They're easy, functional, and fun! Use unisex ribbon patterns, if you can find them, so the mom will be able to use them with subsequent babies.

There are some great ideas in this thread. :001_smile:

I know you said you've only knit scarves, but another option would be a little baby sweater. Debbie Bliss has some very cute patterns. If you do a smaller one, or a sweater vest, it won't take much time at all. My first knit garment was a little red hooded sweater for dd2, it was precious and is in her keepsake box now. The only new skill I had to learn was how to increase and decrease, and it wasn't very hard at all. This is the book I used.

They can really look neat if you get ribbon and sew around the ends where the terry isn't fluffy. Roll the towel up when finished, and then use the hood and stick a cute rubber duckie in there. These sell for $30+ in Houston. These are so much better than those tiny baby towels they sell. My kids used theirs for many years after babyhood. I think the last one just got put in the rag bag (last baby is 9yo!)

A harder sewing project would be a shopping cart cover. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/cart_cover.html This is the first one I came up with, but I'm sure there are others.

Someone did this for us and it was the best present. She also covered it with a cute fabric on the outside of the hood, but that's optional. I