Menu

How do you celebrate New Year's DAY??

Do you cook a special meal? Do special activities?

We eat a big breakfast at noon.

Last year we hiked to the top of a small mountain in a storm. We're planning on tackling it again this year, after breakfast, but crossing our fingers for better weather. :)

For dinner we'l eat hoppin' John, Swiss chard, cornbread and ham. And ozoni (dashi and rice ball soup) and mochi for our Japanese exchange student.

Cat

Well, this is the first year that the kids really understood what it meant.

So, our new traditions are:

We all fill out our new calendars

We have leftover birthday cake for breakfast (ds's was Dec. 26th)

We drink our juice in champagne glasses

We light candles on the breakfast table

We wear Happy New Year hats all day

That's it so far.:001_smile:

We will have collard greens and black-eye peas. Other than making traditional foods, we don't really have any special activities that we do. Dh is off from work today, so we will more than likely accomplish some things around the house and watch some movies. I like the idea of filling out the calendars, so I'm going to steal that one!

:lurk5:

We don't really do anything special. My father insists on eating roast beef and black eyed peas, though, so we have that EVERY year on New Year's Day. I start the roast in the crock pot about midnight and then we eat around noon.

I like the idea of filling out a new calendar. I don't even have one yet. I think the girls bought one at Dollar Tree, though... maybe we can get that done...

Green eggs, chocolate cake and ham for breakfast while we watch the Rose Parade. Then FOOTBALL and munchies for the remainder of the day. Taking the Christmas decorations down and putting things away in between plays or when the stress/boredom of the game gets to be too much.