Menu

As much as I'd like to, I don't have time for a book a *week*. How about...

...a book a MONTH instead. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE to read, and I read pretty fast. But with homeschooling a high school student (and keeping up with what she's reading so I can discuss it with her) and teaching a Couples in Crisis class once a week with dh, I just don't have time for pleasure-reading nearly as often as I'd like.

I'm thinking of making a list of 12 books that I'd like to read this year and seeing if I can accomplish that. It seems so much less overwhelming than <gulp> 52 books in a year! Please tell me I'm not the only one!

:leaving:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Call me an underachiever but I always like to set a goal that feel possible. A book a month is one that I can DEFINITELY do. I'd feel successful at completing it and then be able to give myself extra cheers for additional reading rather than feeling pressured by the impending doom of potential failure.

Now this I can do!!! I, too, love the "idea" of a book a week, but never seem to achieve it. A book a month is a great goal and one that I can exceed by the end of the year! Count me in!!:D

Will you start a thread each month? I am hoping to finish one this week and have one in the wings that I want to get started on for January (unless someone else put a hold on it at the library and I have to figure out something else!:glare:)

Dh & I are doing our own private reading challenge - two books a month. One fiction and one nonfiction, and the only requirements are that they cannot be 're-reads,' and the fiction can't be from our beloved sci fi or fantasy genres (sob!). I am excited because I can count the books I need to preread for dd towards my fiction requirement. :)

I'm in if it is OK for me to finish the 12 or so books that are partially read lying around my house! :tongue_smilie: I did get a reading light in my stocking, which I used tonight for the first time. Definitely a help for me, as our kids sleep in our bedroom.

When do we start??

I posted on the thread for 52 books a year, but I do not think I can realistically follow through. I do not like being a dropout, so I am glad a book a month was suggested. What if someone, anyone, (Me, should I volunteer here, would you all like that?) posted in the early AM on the first day of every month on the general board.

Title: A Book A Month

12 Books A Year

Any thoughts or additions?

to be honest I never really understood the book-a-week idea. Sometimes that would be easy but often, quite often, that would be impossible.

I think if I only read short or somewhat less challenging books, it would be doable and sometimes I'm in the mood for that. Sometimes I might go a whole month and read nothing but mysteries or light novels. On the other hand, like junk food, that's only satifying for so long. I like to plunge into a greater work and it may take a week or two to finish. It may take even a month or two b/c 1/3 into the book I realize that I'm going to have to go read the book of Job b/f I continue (happened with the last book club book I read here . . . and that caused me to get out of sych with the other readers) or biography or a something or a section leads me to rabbit trail b/f i go on. Also, I like a book that can really teach me something (though that is often still a novel) and sometimes they're just tomes (and sometimes not).

I guess my point is that a-book-a-week just doesn't make sense to me if you're reading really good, meaty books.

Or maybe that was the point: read just fun little mysteries, et c.

What if someone, anyone, (Me, should I volunteer here, would you all like that?) posted in the early AM on the first day of every month on the general board.

Title: A Book A Month

12 Books A Year

Any thoughts or additions?

Sounds great! Are you officially volunteering to post on the first day of every month? ;)

Sounds great! Are you officially volunteering to post on the first day of every month? ;)

Yes! It will be great motivation for me. I will post this Friday, the 1st of January. Perhaps people will just post what they are in the middle of reading or a say what they plan to read.

I guess my point is that a-book-a-week just doesn't make sense to me if you're reading really good, meaty books.

Or maybe that was the point: read just fun little mysteries, et c.

It just depends on your reading habits. Good, meaty books at a rate of one per week are definitely possible for some people.