Menu

If you are looking for a great snowflake craft

I have a question about step 3--does it mean you fold for the second time, or two more times?

Step 4--the "right way"--looks like that means holding it long side down?

Step 6--does this mean use 6 pieces of paper?

Luckily my daughter is still awake because she is the one who did this. :) Here is what she has to say:

Step 3 - You fold it for the second time.

Step 4 - You will notice that the triangle has two sides that are the same, and one that is different (it's longer). Keep the "legs" of the triangle at the bottom and keep the longer part to the right. Then cut three parallel lines to the longer side.

Step 6 - Yes, six sheets of paper are needed for each snowflake.

I think we'll try this soon--how will it look if the lines are cut crooked? :D (I'll have dd6 do the cutting). Although I might draw the lines for her to cut--she does cut well, but I'm not sure about freehand cutting.

It will look slightly off, but still like a snowflake. You can also trim the triangles if you didn't fold it perfectly.

Thanks, Jilly--I think I will make a bunch of these and hang them up as a surprise on Christmas morning!

BTW, my son is a film student wannabee--trying to get into VCU's Cinema dept. They are very big into French film there and have an agreement with a famous French film school--graduates of VCU can go for a free semester, if they can speak the language. Won't happen for my son (not good at languages) but thought it might interest you.

LOVE your blog.

Your dd looks like a model--truly!

Thanks, Jilly--I think I will make a bunch of these and hang them up as a surprise on Christmas morning!

BTW, my son is a film student wannabee--trying to get into VCU's Cinema dept. They are very big into French film there and have an agreement with a famous French film school--graduates of VCU can go for a free semester, if they can speak the language. Won't happen for my son (not good at languages) but thought it might interest you.

LOVE your blog.

Your dd looks like a model--truly!

I majored in film at UCSB. They also had a program for going to France. Unfortunately, I was like your son, not good at languages at all. I still enjoy French films though, and I am glad they are subtitled!

I just finished mine. I worked on a smaller scale--I made 4.5" squares. I finally got the pieces to fit together by taking apart the 3 sets of 2. Then I matched up the sides of the pieces--outer ring to outer ring, then smaller ring to smaller ring, outer ring to outer ring, and so on, taping the middles together as I went. The finished snowflake measures about 13" across. If my camera battery is working, I'll post a picture.

Edited by gardening momma

I'm having trouble getting the 6 pieces taped together...any tips? I thought I'd try making 3 sets of 2, taped end-to-end, but then it seems a little awkward to get them together, crossed at the center.

My son and I ended up with different techniques. I taped center crosses together first, then messed with the middle/end pieces. My son taped two end to end then did the center crosses on the next two and taped then ends to the middle. Repeating on the other side. I think his turned out better. (hope that makes sense :( )

Okay, the kids and I, and, even dh made these snowflakes today. LOVE them! It really was fun. And, they turned out beautifully.

We did various sizes and colors--one of them is now our tree topper (this one was cardstock, so it holds it's shape well)---the rest will be hanging at varying lengths in our family room.

Thank you and your daughter!

I commented on the blog itself, but wanted to know if it was alright for me to forward this to some friends.

Would you mind if I sent complete strangers to your blog?

It's a public blog, so I don't mind. Thanks for asking though.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my daughter has started to use our stapler instead of tape now. She thinks that works better, especially for construction paper.

It's a public blog, so I don't mind. Thanks for asking though.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my daughter has started to use our stapler instead of tape now. She thinks that works better, especially for construction paper.

LOL, we ran out of tape and I've come to the same conclusion ;)

OoooooooooooooooooooooHHHH! <smacking my forhead> I get it!

Talk about your visual vs. verbal learners. I printed instructions for these stars but they didn't show pictures, just described how to do it, and not well. A few pictures and....DUH.

I won't embarrass myself by saying how many times I tried to make these. :leaving:

Cat

OoooooooooooooooooooooHHHH! <smacking my forhead> I get it!

Talk about your visual vs. verbal learners. I printed instructions for these stars but they didn't show pictures, just described how to do it, and not well. A few pictures and....DUH.

I won't embarrass myself by saying how many times I tried to make these. :leaving:

Cat

I watched my daughter make these numerous times, and I still can't make one. Talk about embarrassing!

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to bring this thread back as my daughter got the urge to make snowflakes today, and I thought others might be interested in doing the same. I re-posted our original blog post about them with instructions for anyone looking for a fun craft to make with the kids. :001_smile:

I just wanted to bring this thread back as my daughter got the urge to make snowflakes today, and I thought others might be interested in doing the same. I re-posted our original blog post about them with instructions for anyone looking for a fun craft to make with the kids. :001_smile:

Thank you. I remember seeing this thread a couple of years ago, and wanting to try the craft. We never did. But I'm leaving your blog post up on my computer so my daughter can look at it tomorrow - she might like to try it this year! It's so beautiful!