Menu

I am being targeted by the local JW's ...

how do i politely tell them i am not interested in becoming a JW?

In the last month i have had over 4 instances where the JW's have knocked on my door. I am always polite, take their literature and say goodbye.

One man in particular has decided to target me. He has just returned today and was asking about my beliefs again (this time about heaven) and offered the kids a book of bible stories which ofcourse they accepted.

I am not interested in becoming a JW, i have a general Christian belief system but don't go to church and don't subscribe to a particular denomination. I don't want to be rude because i do find religion fascinating but i don't want to be continually targeted and then have to explain to the kids what he was on about.

If you talk to them and take their materials they will come back!

I either hurriedly tell them no thank you and don't take literature. Or listen politly and thank them for coming by adding that I'm of a different belief while handing the papers back. At that point they tell you take them and read them and may ask if they can return at which point I say no. They are nice people and take rejection well. LOL

Ok, so i am my own worst enemy. No doubt he will be back, although he did mention that he is going on holiday for 1 month so maybe i will get some reprieve.

Maybe i should hang a nice sign "Thankyou for your concern. We are no longer engaging in religious discussion."

Can you tell i hate confrontation :)

Why not? When our church goes around to hand out flyers on our VBS program, we always avoid the houses with "no soliciting" signs. There was only one time when I slipped because the sign was behind a hanging basket and I didn't see it. The person just pointed to the sign, I apologized and left.

They tend to take that to mean no sales people. :)

Edited by Sputterduck

I agree you are sending a mixed message by continuing to take their materials. From what I have seen in other discussions about this topic, that's a sure way to get them to come back because they keep hoping you will change your mind. You have to be very clear and direct about saying that you are not interested and will not be.

Now, being polytheist Hellenic Neopagan, I chose a bit of a different tack. The last time I had one come to the door, I told him (truthfully) that our pantheon was full, thank you very much. Threw him for a bit of a loop. ;) Since you said you had a general Christian belief, that probably wouldn't be accurate for you. We haven't had anyone come back since and that's been several months at least.

I would just politely tell them you're not interested. And don't take their literature. By doing that you've probably gotten yourself on some sort of call back list.

Sort of. When you get someone who takes literature, you're then supposed to visit them again and again and eventually convince them to start a Bible study with you.

Friends of ours had a sign up at their door saying something like "unsolicited conversations regarding religion and sales will be charged at $xx an hour". It was worded heaps better than that - he's a really creative person - and it always made me smile. Must email him and ask how it was worded...

Min

I found the best thing is to say, politely, that you are not interested. DO NO TAKE ANY LITERATURE. And, make sure to ask the person to have your address removed from their lists. If they are honest, they will make a note of it and will ask their organizer (or whomever keeps these lists) to remove you. If you get another visitor after that, don't take the literature, of course, and tell them you had already asked a previous visitor to have your address removed from the list. You may have to do this for more than one visitor, but generally, a single request should do the trick.

You can do all of this very politely and with a smile. :)

Edited by Audrey

I found the best thing is to say, politely, that you are not interested. DO NO TAKE ANY LITERATURE. And, make sure to ask the person to have your address removed from their lists. If they are honest, they will make a note of it and will ask their organizer (or whomever keeps these lists) to remove you. If you get another visitor after that, don't take the literature, of course, and tell them you had already asked a previous visitor to have your address removed from the list. You may have to do this for more than one visitor, but generally, a single request should do the trick.

You can do all of this very politely and with a smile. :)

They don't actually remove your address, but they do put a note not to return. 2 years was the return time I think back when I was a JW because you couldn't moved...

how do i politely tell them i am not interested in becoming a JW?

In the last month i have had over 4 instances where the JW's have knocked on my door. I am always polite, take their literature and say goodbye.

One man in particular has decided to target me. He has just returned today and was asking about my beliefs again (this time about heaven) and offered the kids a book of bible stories which ofcourse they accepted.

I am not interested in becoming a JW, i have a general Christian belief system but don't go to church and don't subscribe to a particular denomination. I don't want to be rude because i do find religion fascinating but i don't want to be continually targeted and then have to explain to the kids what he was on about.

For what it's worth.... my father had JW's target him once. They came even more than 4 times and each time he tried to be polite, asked them not to return, he had his own church, etc.

They kept returning.

Finally one day they came when he was taking a shower. He answered the door...without bothering to dry off, kwim? :lol: They never returned.

YMMV.....

I got really fed up with door knockers

1/ selling power and telephone and TV

2/ charities

3/ surveys

4/ religious door knockers.

So I put up a sign:

"Read this before you knock or ring the bell"

Unless you are a friend or a lovely delivery person do not bother to knock.

We do not want

*Your power or telephone

*Your charity or survey

*Your God"

Since I put it up the knocks have gone to one almost daily to none. Well actually one. Who apologised profusely because he knocked before he saw it.

The last time I had a visitor at the door, it was a sweet older lady. I let her give her introductory speech but did not take her literature, and then told her that even though our views of Christianity were many miles apart and that I could never agree with her views, I really appreciated that she had such a strong faith and was willing to serve the Lord in such a faithful way. She seemed to appreciate that, and smiled as she left.

I've tried signs, but some just won't/don't read English, I guess.

Most effective method I've found: stop answering the door for them.

If your door arrangement is such that you cannot see who is there before you answer ... well, you really should be able to see, as a safety issue ... but if you can't ... once you see who it is, close the door and lock it on them. I don't mean slamming the door, just calmly closing it and locking it.

There's no law that you are obliged to answer the door for or speak with any solicitor. So set a boundary and protect it.

Karen

The last time I had a visitor at the door, it was a sweet older lady. I let her give her introductory speech but did not take her literature, and then told her that even though our views of Christianity were many miles apart and that I could never agree with her views, I really appreciated that she had such a strong faith and was willing to serve the Lord in such a faithful way. She seemed to appreciate that, and smiled as she left.

I like this. Even though I do not agree with the JW faith I do respect their desire to reach out to those around them. It is not a bad thing. I always say hello to them and politely let them know that I am very solid in my beliefs and attend church regularly. I have even told them politely that they should keep their literature because honestly i will end up throwing it away. they usually keep it and tell me to have a nice day. I don't mind them knocking at my door except as a homeschooling mommy I tend to be running around in house in my jammies with my hair a mess until I hop in the shower and get presentable (around 2pm. ):D It can be annoying but you could look at it as a kindness and concern from their side. ruby

Friends of ours had a sign up at their door saying something like "unsolicited conversations regarding religion and sales will be charged at $xx an hour". It was worded heaps better than that - he's a really creative person - and it always made me smile. Must email him and ask how it was worded...

Min

Make sure and include politics and fund-raisers as well! ;)