Menu

So if I can't tolerate an indoor dog...how often to spend time with an outdoor dog?

If you want a dog for a pet, I would not get into this situation on purpose. For a guard dog I could see having it be an outdoor dog but not a single pet dog. Dogs are pack animals; they should be around people or other dogs.

I take care of the next door neighbor's dogs once in a while - two outdoor dogs. They are fed and sheltered, but I do not see the family enjoying their pets. They might; maybe I haven't noticed.

Beagles are very prone to being bored and need daily play/work time to get its "energy" out. Or you will see destructive patterns like digging holes, chewing, or barking. Dogs are pack members, loyal to a fault, hate being alone and do not want to be in charge. You will need a minimum of 30 minutes a day to work with it on basic obedience skills -- this is vital if you have little ones. Teach it not to jump on people, sit, stay, heel and so on. Teach it how to fetch a ball. You will need to wash your hands after the playtime. I would not leave the dog outside year round -- can you take some allergy meds to help this? Labradoodles are hypoallergenic. HTH

I already take meds. Every day. It's been hard to "try out" dogs because generally they are at a home with other breeds or a cat. So I can't find a "pure" situation to try one out in. If we go ahead and buy one, just hoping that it will work, then we could end up with a dog we can't keep and brokenhearted kids.

Just wish I could find a situation that would allow my kids to have a dog. Maybe there still is one. Right now we're just weary of the research process and feel discouraged.:(

Okay, some may disagree with me but here's my view.....

Adopt a lovely dog from the pound. Maybe two! Keep them outdoors. Keep them well fed, sheltered and healthy. Spend a good 5 to 10 minutes with them daily at feeding time and several times a week, take them for longer runs or walks or spend more play time with them. They will not be the happiest dogs ON.THE.PLANET. But they will be far happier then they were before you adopted them or if they are euthanized. Not every dog can live the live of nirvana. But a nice family like yours can give a previously homeless dog a good home without feeling guilty that the dog is not in the house.

Can you get a allergy-free dog? I personally will never get a dog that I have to keep outside. It is too hard to go out there and spend enough time with that dog. Plus, for us, outdoor dogs have always been more trouble than indoor dogs (we only had outdoor dogs when I was a kid). They dig holes, try to dig out of the fence, try to run free once they get out of the fence, howl, bark. They were a pain. Our indoor dog is great!

Not every dog can live the live of nirvana. But a nice family like yours can give a previously homeless dog a good home without feeling guilty that the dog is not in the house.

I agree with katemary63. If dogs could talk, do you think any of the ones you see in a pound or shelter would refuse to go home with you cause they would be living outside? :)

Get two dogs and take good care of them, but leave them out.

Also, make sure it is something your kids want and will commit to. Then get them to commit to going outside everyday for long periods of time to play with the dogs.

Don't poison your body with daily allergy meds.

In the end, they are animals. I like dogs (have owned several throughout my life, indoor and outdoor ones) but you have to keep perspective.

All the dogs in my neighborhood are indoor dogs. They are treated almost like children. But guess what? Every single one of those dogs are alone ALL DAY long cause everyone works and all the kids are in school. In fact, most of them are in crates from morning till night, except for a short walk that the owner paid someone for. I can't see how it's any different to just keep a dog outside. At least you are home alot and will play with dogs more than the dogs here get. It's also a good way to make sure your kids get lots of exercise.

Best wishes

Edited by Ruthie

Lagotto.... try that... if you wanna spend the money (they are what I wanted... until I got one at the humane society..) .... Also, wheaten terriers. (but of course, in or out.. you have to spend time training:-)

I've heard that a good way to spend time to see if you're allergic to ... that... particular dog is to be in a car for a while... and see if it's a problem... Do it a few times.... Also, if you're allergic to any foods.... don't let your dog eat it in their dog food.

Carrie:-)

You have to sign a sworn statement that the dog (or cat) you adopt will not be kept outside (other than for short periods of time/walks... NOT overnight).

I think this rule keeps some animals from ever being adopted--but I'd rather this than a neglected outside dog.

My sister has 4 outside dogs--because her son is allergic. They get LOTS of daily attention and a few good walks every week from the other family members--they are all HAPPY dogs.

We have 2 labs. They do not come in the house. We live on a ranch. They have all the space they need and want. If you could read their minds, they aren't complaining that we don't keep them in the house. They're too busy playing with each other. They stay plenty happy, and I don't devote too much time to their well being. I make sure they are fed, and I walk with them back and forth to the chicken house each day. But, not for the mental or physical health of the dogs, just to go get my eggs! They don't even kill our chickens. When my kids play with each other outside, the dogs are right there with them. If I go somewhere on the 4 wheeler, they come with me.

I think it's silly to assume that the only happy dogs are indoor dogs. Hogwash. If my dogs could talk, they'd tell you they love it here. As a matter of fact, I think they are much happier, than if I kept them inside most of the day. I can only imagine what the inside of my house would look like, if those dogs came in and out of here frequently. The floors get dirty enough with just the people traffic. :-)

My dogs have found 3 rattlesnakes this year. (Probably wouldn't have happened if they were inside lying on the couch!!)

I value these dogs. But they aren't coming in my house.

Edited by KLynnTX

Honestly - just don't get a dog.

See if your kids can volunteer at a shelter. Most shelters need volunteer walkers. You can walk them (you usually have to be an adult) and then the kids can do playtime or grooming the cats etc.

I've written about dogs on this board before - if you search my posts you'll see some long ones on dogs & living arrangements. Dogs are highly social pack animals & need to be part of their pack. Unless you have a very active otudoor lifestyle, I don't think this can be done well.

IMO, a dog is nothing just to try out & hope for the best. It's not just heartache for the family - it's potentially fatal for the dog. With the severity of the pet overpopulation problem, it's not guaranteed that you can find a suitable home for the pet you no longer can keep.....

I somewhat agree with Kate that outdoor dogs can be happy, but most of you who are advocating that dogs be kept outside have more than one.

I'm sorry the OP can't tolerate dog hair--there is certainly great benefit and joy to having a dog! But we have to make the best of our situation, don't we? So, your kids can't have a dog b/c you have allergies. What else could you do to provide them with someone/thing to nurture, take responsibility for, enjoy?

I would not expect them to "commit" at their ages to spend time with the dog outside--you will have to take care of the dog, so even if it's outside, you'd be wise to prepare to spend time with it.

I think the best option is to forgo the dog. Second best, investigate a non-allergenic dog. Third option, adopt two or three and keep them out.

It looks like you have a 7.5 and 4 yo. Realistically, you will be the one caring for the dog. Do YOU want a dog??? If not, I don't think it will bring the joy you are hoping for in the long run.

I agree. When children are that young, of course they want a dog (and a pony). Perhaps a dog isn't in your future; the children will not be scarred if they don't get a dog (or a pony).

We've adopted from a rescue shelter before and had to sign papers that the dogs will only live inside. If you are interested in adopting from a shelter, I suggest you find out their policy first.

I agree. When children are that young, of course they want a dog (and a pony). Perhaps a dog isn't in your future; the children will not be scarred if they don't get a dog (or a pony).

We've adopted from a rescue shelter before and had to sign papers that the dogs will only live inside. If you are interested in adopting from a shelter, I suggest you find out their policy first.

Didn't know about these policies...good to know. As far as my kids go, they've been wanting a dog for a while...we've been talking about it for over a year. I've been reading Dogs for Dummies, I've been talking to the children repeatedly about what is involved and that they would have responsibilities. My son was in tears over it all, he wants that dog companion so bad. He's a pretty responsible, proactive kind of kid. I think he really will help take care of it.

We are looking into "hypoallergenic" dogs. But it's hard to test one out that isn't contaminated by a cat or by another breed. So we'll keep trying, but it's slow going.

We have 2 labs. They do not come in the house. We live on a ranch. They have all the space they need and want. If you could read their minds, they aren't complaining that we don't keep them in the house. They're too busy playing with each other. They stay plenty happy, and I don't devote too much time to their well being. I make sure they are fed, and I walk with them back and forth to the chicken house each day. But, not for the mental or physical health of the dogs, just to go get my eggs! They don't even kill our chickens. When my kids play with each other outside, the dogs are right there with them. If I go somewhere on the 4 wheeler, they come with me.

I think it's silly to assume that the only happy dogs are indoor dogs. Hogwash. If my dogs could talk, they'd tell you they love it here. As a matter of fact, I think they are much happier, than if I kept them inside most of the day. I can only imagine what the inside of my house would look like, if those dogs came in and out of here frequently. The floors get dirty enough with just the people traffic. :-)

My dogs have found 3 rattlesnakes this year. (Probably wouldn't have happened if they were inside lying on the couch!!)

I value these dogs. But they aren't coming in my house.

But see, if a dog can live in a place like this, then I think that they can be happy outdoors. If they are just stuck in a small suburban backyard, then I just do not think they would be very happy. If a dog had somewhere to run and play and explore, then I think they would need less one-on-one attention. But a bored dog in a backyard all alone can be more trouble than it is worth. They will make their own entertainment and it may not be the kind that you like LOL.

my son is allergic to dogs and cats. friends wanted to gift him a hypo allergenic dog and were adamant about getting the dog from a reputable breeder.

we found a breed we liked (a Schnoodle - schnauzer/poodle mix) and a breeder we trusted. the breeder put us in contact with a schoodle owner in our area who graciously allowed us to visit with her dog for an hour or so. that visit did not trigger any symptoms in my son. our own schnoodle, Harley, has been living with us happily for over two years now.

Didn't know about these policies...good to know. As far as my kids go, they've been wanting a dog for a while...we've been talking about it for over a year. I've been reading Dogs for Dummies, I've been talking to the children repeatedly about what is involved and that they would have responsibilities. My son was in tears over it all, he wants that dog companion so bad. He's a pretty responsible, proactive kind of kid. I think he really will help take care of it.

We are looking into "hypoallergenic" dogs. But it's hard to test one out that isn't contaminated by a cat or by another breed. So we'll keep trying, but it's slow going.

:iagree: See if a breeder would be willing to let you visit. My brother has a Chinese Crested (the hairless variety), which is a dog with hair instead of fur. My SIL's mom also has 2 (powderpuff variety) that she got free from the breeder because they were older and didn't meet the breed standards. All 3 of them have extremely sweet dispositions, and are great with kids.

But see, if a dog can live in a place like this, then I think that they can be happy outdoors. If they are just stuck in a small suburban backyard, then I just do not think they would be very happy. If a dog had somewhere to run and play and explore, then I think they would need less one-on-one attention. But a bored dog in a backyard all alone can be more trouble than it is worth. They will make their own entertainment and it may not be the kind that you like LOL.

We have a small (but nice), urban backyard, with a lower fence (not privacy) on two sides. We have a lot of sidewalks and pedestrians, interaction with neighbors nearly daily. Our neighborhood is a very dog-oriented neighborhood. We have a listserv that constantly has "dog sighting" announcements. People try to take in lost pets until owners are found. The neighborhood is very supportive of its pets. We certainly are in a place that will encourage us to give a dog what it needs. For an urban situation, it probably couldn't be better (unless of course we had a huge yard!).

If your dog will have lots of space, and the weather stays warm enough year round, your dog will be happy. It will be able to run and hunt. It will never have to be caged (crate trained). If your kids already play outside for a couple hours a day, then spending time with the dog will not be a hassle.

I recommend an adult dog, not a puppy because puppies need a lot of attention and company. An adult outside dog is much less needy.

Adopt a lovely dog from the pound. Maybe two! Keep them outdoors. Keep them well fed, sheltered and healthy. Spend a good 5 to 10 minutes with them daily at feeding time and several times a week, take them for longer runs or walks or spend more play time with them. They will not be the happiest dogs ON.THE.PLANET. But they will be far happier then they were before you adopted them or if they are euthanized. Not every dog can live the live of nirvana. But a nice family like yours can give a previously homeless dog a good home without feeling guilty that the dog is not in the house.

:iagree:

I have two such dogs. They were both strays found of the side of the road. They are have the garage to themselves with a heater in the winter and A/C in the summer. They have a huge yard to play in, their own couches to sleep on, and 4 boys who play with them each and every day. They get taken for walks when they feel up to it and love to go for rides in the car.

They will be 16 years old this spring and don't seem to have missed not having a life indoors. (They each weigh more than 50 pounds so 16 is ancient for dogs their size.)

And we have benefited from having them in our lives.

If your dog will have lots of space, and the weather stays warm enough year round, your dog will be happy. It will be able to run and hunt. It will never have to be caged (crate trained). If your kids already play outside for a couple hours a day, then spending time with the dog will not be a hassle.

I recommend an adult dog, not a puppy because puppies need a lot of attention and company. An adult outside dog is much less needy.

What's evident when I read your posts on animals is that you live in a spot that doesn't think of dogs the same as where I live. First of all, I don't see how two hours would be enough here. Second of all, it's obvious that "crate trained" is negative where you live. Here, it's a small compromise for them sleeping with their leader. Third, I have no idea what most dogs would hunt in a backyard. And, warm enough year round? I mean... it's rainy or snowy in the States in most of the parts I've lived... a decent amount... And, quite honestly, when it's hot and such... my kids don't wanna be out running around for hours.

I'm sure that on a farm/ranch it would have a great time running around. But, even on a farm... many owners I know have their dogs sleep inside so as to be with their family. Surely in the rain or snow, most would be sad to be stuck outside. (And, if I want air conditioning when it's so hot... well... so does my pup)

I would not save a dog over a human, and don't consider myself extreme... but would never have an outside dog... planning to only spend 2 hours with them.

Not saying that where you live... it's the same... or that your dogs would be bored like mine. Perhaps it's how they grow up.. Mine would feel abandoned in the back yard. And... traveling with us when we go out is the norm... ( And yes... he's not a lap dog... he's 60+ pounds)

Carrie:-)

my son is allergic to dogs and cats. friends wanted to gift him a hypo allergenic dog and were adamant about getting the dog from a reputable breeder.

we found a breed we liked (a Schnoodle - schnauzer/poodle mix) and a breeder we trusted. the breeder put us in contact with a schoodle owner in our area who graciously allowed us to visit with her dog for an hour or so. that visit did not trigger any symptoms in my son. our own schnoodle, Harley, has been living with us happily for over two years now.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. We spoke to a golden retriever rescue and they said they would let us "house" one of the adoptees for 2 days so we could see if the kids can tolerate it. I'm sure you can find a rescue that will let you do the same. :grouphug: