Menu

Julie and Julia

LNC

Loved the dvd! Both storylines were so sweet, in the movie.

Then I checked out Julie Powell's blog - yikes! The cussing and whining. She didn't come across at all as Amy Adams portrayed her... I can't believe her blog was soooo popular.

Where were the photos?! Three cheers for Ree/Pioneer Woman! :)

I hated the book, but enjoyed the movie. IMHO, the movie was what the book should have been...cleaner language and getting rid of all the dysfunctional friends and bellybutton gazing.

If you want a good read, just find a copy of Julia Child's book, 'My Life In France.' That's worth reading.

I hated the book, but enjoyed the movie. IMHO, the movie was what the book should have been...cleaner language and getting rid of all the dysfunctional friends and bellybutton gazing.

If you want a good read, just find a copy of Julia Child's book, 'My Life In France.' That's worth reading.

:iagree:

Loved the movie so checked out the blog and was sooo disappointed!! In the movie I felt so sorry for Julie when she realized Julia didn't like her blog. Well now I totally get it! Julia was absolutely right!

I couldn't get "My Life in France" from the library for months, so I bought it. Fun book! But I wish she'd translated the French parts.:001_smile:

Mary

She did sound like a whiner in the movie. However, I was so impressed by Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia and, with Stanley Tucci as the husband Paul, this made me quite curious about the couple. I read "My Life in France". Thankfully, I was able to ask my son about some of the French expressions... It was excellent!

Claire in NM

I loathed the book Julie and Julia (what I managed to read of it, anyway) and similarly disliked Julie Powell's blog. Along with the rest of you, I adored Meryl Streep as Julia Child in the movie and gritted my teeth through the rest--but thanks to your recommendations, I've just picked up My Life in France from the library, and even though I'm only on page 32, I am TOTALLY IN LOVE! What a fun read.

Thanks so much for the great tip!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Loved the movie so checked out the blog and was sooo disappointed!! In the movie I felt so sorry for Julie when she realized Julia didn't like her blog. Well now I totally get it! Julia was absolutely right!

I couldn't get "My Life in France" from the library for months, so I bought it. Fun book!

I am so grateful for this thread! I was also sad for Julie (and confused) when Julia was negative about the venture. I did not get it at all, because the movie portrayal wasn't so bad as to cause Julia to be anything less than flattered. Now I get it. They should have left that whole part out though. It deflated me at the end of the movie. Big time. For those of us ignorant of her foul language in book/blog, it was a real downer.

Out of curiosity I did a 30-second Google fact-check to see what Julia Child really thought of Julie Powell. Here's what I found:

Publisher's Weekly spoke to Judith Jones, Senior Editor and Vice President at Alfred A. Knopf, and Julia Child's editor and confidante, who shared her recollection of Child's feelings on Julie Powell's blog:

Jones says Child did not approve of Powell’s cook-every-recipe-in-one-year project. The editor and author read Powell’s blog together (
Julie and Julia
was published a year after Child’s 2004 death). “Julia said, ‘I don’t think she’s a serious cook.’ †Jones thinks there was a generational difference between Powell and Child. “Flinging around four-letter words when cooking isn’t attractive, to me or Julia. She didn’t want to endorse it. What came through on the blog was somebody who was doing it almost for the sake of a stunt. She would never really describe the end results, how delicious it was, and what she learned. Julia didn’t like what she called ‘the flimsies.’ She didn’t suffer fools, if you know what I mean.â€

I haven't seen the movie yet. I grew up with Julia Child (TV and in person). She was friends with my grandmother and was such a super nice woman.

After reading what you all thought of the book, I think I will pass. I tend to like to read the book before I see a movie. I can handle some swears, but it does not fit in with Julia's personality and see why she was appalled at the blog.

:confused:

Who is Julie? (lol, because I am Julie, but I'm guessing you'll know what I mean)

My brother is raving about this movie and I have no idea what on earth it's about.

Any one want to give a spoiler?

Basically, Julie Powell was a woman who worked in a cubicle for the government and was bored, so she decided to take on Julia Child's cook book, making 500+ recipes in 365 days. She had a blog on Salon.com and posted daily about this self-imposed challenge. Alongside that storyline was Julia Child's story of how SHE became a cook. Both storylines are supposedly true, but were woven together to create this movie.

I loved the movie! Loved it!

I was also soooo sad for Julie when Julia didn't like her blog. The woman who played Julie was so sweet in the movie.

I'm so glad this thread has cleared that up. Sounds like she wasn't sweet in the blog at all, and no wonder Julia was appalled.

Basically, Julie Powell was a woman who worked in a cubicle for the government and was bored, so she decided to take on Julia Child's cook book, making 500+ recipes in 365 days. She had a blog on Salon.com and posted daily about this self-imposed challenge. Alongside that storyline was Julia Child's story of how SHE became a cook. Both storylines are supposedly true, but were woven together to create this movie.

Ah, then it makes sense I'd never heard of her.

Thank you!

I loved the movie! Loved it!

I was also soooo sad for Julie when Julia didn't like her blog. The woman who played Julie was so sweet in the movie.

I'm so glad this thread has cleared that up. Sounds like she wasn't sweet in the blog at all, and no wonder Julia was appalled.

:iagree:

I'm glad I didn't waste my time on Julie's book, but just put My Life in France on my Amazon.com wishlist for Christmas! Thanks for the recommendations!

Yep. I think this is the only instance where I have said, "the movie is way better than the book." It definitely made me want to read My Life in France... and I did purchase MTAoFC a while back - not to cook my way through, but because I want to really MASTER crepes. :D

Interestingly, Meryl Streep was also in the movie I use as my example of a movie that is better than the book (The Devil Wears Prada).

I haven't read Julie and Julia, but I did like the movie.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I grew up with Julia Child (TV and in person). She was friends with my grandmother and was such a super nice woman.

After reading what you all thought of the book, I think I will pass. I tend to like to read the book before I see a movie. I can handle some swears, but it does not fit in with Julia's personality and see why she was appalled at the blog.

Did you grow up in Santa Barbara? I am from S.B. and I remember back in ... around 1988-ish meeting her at a computer store - she walked ahead of her husband and her voice was loud and carried across the store. Meryl Streep REALLY got her persona down in the movie. Her dh was slow and stooped over and walked quietly along behind her. My 3-year old son went over and said hello to her and she was pleasant to him.

I did enjoy the movie - didn't read the book ...