Menu

John Lennon

Today is the date that John Lennon was murdered in 1980. I was only 8(almost 9). I knew of him but I didn't realize how big an influence he was. I remember news reports with lots of people crying. I remember my mom playing the Beatles alot.

Fast forward to today and his music still reaches people. The Beatles are still popular. I don't know if he'd be pleased or amused with the Beatles Rockband games. But it does expose a new generation to their music. My kids like the Beatles but not because of a video game.

Empty Garden (Hey, Hey, Johnny)

Elton John/Bernie Taupin

What happened here

As the New York sunset disappeared

I found an empty garden among the flagstones there

Who lived here

He must have been a gardener that cared a lot

Who weeded out the tears and grew a good crop

And now it all looks strange

It's funny how one insect can damage so much grain

And what's it for

This little empty garden by the brownstone door

And in the cracks along the sidewalk nothing grows no more

Who lived here

And we are so amazed we're crippled and we're dazed

A gardener like that one no one can replace

And I've been knocking but no one answers

And I've been knocking most all the day

Oh and I've been calling oh hey hey Johnny

Can't you come out to play

And through their tears

Some say he farmed his best in younger years

But he'd have said that roots grow stronger if only he could hear

Who lived there

Now we pray for rain, and with every drop that falls

We hear, we hear your name

Johnny can't you come out to play in your empty garden

I had just graduated from high school and was working my first job while attending community college.

I remember studying all night and then turning on the radio to go to sleep (I always slept with music playing) and I wondered why all they were playing was Beatles songs. After 2 or 3 songs, the DJ came on and I heard the news for the first time.

I was in shock! I was a huge Beatles fan (my older brother had lived in England during the late 60's and early 70's and he'd gotten me hooked on their music).

A sad day in the music world. :(

I was in junior high. I remember my art teacher being unable to teach that day, she cried through the whole class.

My dh is a big Beatles fan, bigger fan of John Lennon. We gave each other John Lennon artwork as a wedding gift.

Edited by elegantlion

I like some of his songs but my husband loathes him and doesn't allow any of his music in our home. He was very left wing in many issues and therefore has 0 respect from our standpoint. Not because he was liberal so much but because of the untruths he pushed in different areas.:tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

You know, I don't remember that day as clearly as I do the day Elvis died, and I was only 4 1/2 when Elvis died.

My parents were Beatles fans though. In fact, my brother and I both liked them Beatles as we grew up, and now my 2 year old likes almost every Beatles song I can think of.

Pajama Mama-We must be close to the same age, I was also 8. I remember it coming on the news and my mom telling my dad. I remember asking my dad why someone would do that. My parents were young and were huge Beatles fans.

I think John Lennon was someone who struggled a lot with life. Yes, he was far left but I think he saw how some things he said or did (or other in the peace movement said or did) were detrimental. Just take the lyrics to Revolution:

You say you'll change a constitution

Well, you know

We'd all love to change your head.

You tell me it's the institution,

Well, you know

You better free your mind instead.

But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao,

You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow.

He changed a lot as he grew older and I would like to think he would have continued to change and mature. He was allowed to be young and crazy much longer than most of us are able.

I was almost 5 when Elvis died and I remember that as well. I went with my aunt and her cousins to the movie they did right after his death.