Menu

Do you do this (unique way of losing things)?

My habit of losing things is a butt of many jokes around here. It is also a source of exasperation, frustration, and irritation. But, we try to laugh at it. At least nothing I lose is permanently lost and losing things never makes me panic because I know that it is in my house...somewhere.

For example, I've managed to lose a set of curtains from Ikea. Dh bought two packages of curtains (each package contains two panels) for me a while back but I wasn't able to hem them and put them up right away. Now, I want to do that but I can't find them. One panel from one package is in each of our upstairs panels; they are very heavy and dark so I used them to cool our bedrooms during our summer heat wave. The other package is lost and I've looked "everywhere" for it. I'm pretty sure I put it "behind something so that it was out of eyesight so to not add to the cluttered appearance of our house." Per DH, that means I hid it. Well, it is well-hidden.

Another example, when we went to Disneyland a few years ago, I put my keys in the front pocket of one of the suitcases to keep them safe. I didn't want to care them around with me and risk them dropping in the middle of Disneyland. "In a safe place" means Mommy lost something again. It took my 2 1/2 months to find them.

Most of the time when I put something "in a safe place" it means it will be lost and I'll be completely flabbergasted as to why in the world would I put that there.

So, if anyone has seen a package of curtains in my house, please let me know where they are. They are heavy, tightly woven fabric and double layered which would really help reduce our heating bill this winter...that is if I can find them before winter is over.

My habit of losing things is a butt of many jokes around here. It is also a source of exasperation, frustration, and irritation. But, we try to laugh at it. At least nothing I lose is permanently lost and losing things never makes me panic because I know that it is in my house...somewhere.

For example, I've managed to lose a set of curtains from Ikea. Dh bought two packages of curtains (each package contains two panels) for me a while back but I wasn't able to hem them and put them up right away. Now, I want to do that but I can't find them. One panel from one package is in each of our upstairs panels; they are very heavy and dark so I used them to cool our bedrooms during our summer heat wave. The other package is lost and I've looked "everywhere" for it. I'm pretty sure I put it "behind something so that it was out of eyesight so to not add to the cluttered appearance of our house." Per DH, that means I hid it. Well, it is well-hidden.

Another example, when we went to Disneyland a few years ago, I put my keys in the front pocket of one of the suitcases to keep them safe. I didn't want to care them around with me and risk them dropping in the middle of Disneyland. "In a safe place" means Mommy lost something again. It took my 2 1/2 months to find them.

Most of the time when I put something "in a safe place" it means it will be lost and I'll be completely flabbergasted as to why in the world would I put that there.

So, if anyone has seen a package of curtains in my house, please let me know where they are. They are heavy, tightly woven fabric and double layered which would really help reduce our heating bill this winter...that is if I can find them before winter is over.

I"m like that too. Scares the kids to death when I confiscate one of their toys for a period of time because it might be months before I can remember where it is! Good incentive not to make me decide it needs to go into time-out for a while. Anyway, a couple of suggestions1) tell one of your kids where you've put something or 2) write a note to yourself via email with the object in the subject line. Saves loads of aggravation.

<Reassuring tone>

There, there, Dear. If you don't find them until summer, at least they'll help you save on your air conditioning bill.

:D

Rosie- assuming you've looked on the top of all the wardrobes, right at the back?

What's air conditioning? Is that where you, like, make the air softer?

Yes, that would be me LOL. It frustrates DH to no end, especailly because I tend to lose things like car keys and the clicker that goes with it. And I've accidently lost and thrown away credit cards. I lost our card for our prepaid medical expenses account. When I get a receipt from the store, it goes into my pocket. Well, from there it must disappear into a black hole because I can rarely find the correct receipt if something needs to be returned. So yeah....I'm pretty much a pro at losing things.

This is me. I lose everything. My Dh is an absolute angel about it. I have lost three (yes three) wedding rings over the course of my 19 year marriage. The first two rings I lost in the first five years an the third I lost two weeks ago.

If anyone finds a round diamond soliatire, an heirloom diamond ring with a flower motif and a diamond eternity band, all in size 5.5, give me a call. I told dh that diamonds are apparently cursed for me.

I keep telling myself that it doesn't make me a bad person.

Amber in SJ

I've lost my mind. :D

At least it seems that way. I don't seem to lose things like keys and such, but many many times a day I will stare into a cabinet or walk into a room and wonder (out loud) what the heck was it I was looking for in there anyway. :confused:

My mom refers to this as "contemplating the hereafter". What am I here after? :lol:

I am assuming your Q about air conditioning was sarcastic?? Air conditioning, a/c, a machine to cool the air in your environment ;)

I am the Queen of putting things in safe places! Have you seen my Marriage Certificate? Oh, it's in a safe place, so safe i can't find it or remember where.

Yes, it was sarcastic. Here in Western WA it very rarely gets hot enough to need air conditioning so no one, but the rich, have it. When it does get hot, we all (meaning everyone living in this general area) just about die.

I never loose or misplace things.

We do, however, have a house brownie who will, from time to time, steal something important. This will cause me to search high and low, practically turning the house over to find this stolen (not lost) thing. The house brownie is very, very clever and I'm sure he enjoys watching me search. After he's had his fun he will place the item in a very obvious spot, one that I've looked in at least ten times and could not possibly be where I originally placed the item. It does get a bit frustrating, but although he's mischievous, I'm sure it is all done in fun, so when the item is found, we all have a good laugh, courtesy of the house brownie.

Sounds just like me. I have a habit of putting important things in places where I'll be sure to find them when I need them.... and then I can't remember where I put them and can't find them when I need them. :confused:

This happens to me every day.

Me too! I have been missing my massage ball for months. My back is a mess. I remember putting it somewhere so that the kids wouldn't get it and lose it. Ironic isn't it?

I've lost my mind. :D

At least it seems that way. I don't seem to lose things like keys and such, but many many times a day I will stare into a cabinet or walk into a room and wonder (out loud) what the heck was it I was looking for in there anyway. :confused:

My mom refers to this as "contemplating the hereafter". What am I here after? :lol:

Oh my gosh, yes, I do this ALL the time LOL!

My grandmother did this. She once lost a very valuable ring for 2 years. When my aunt came to visit from another state, she stated out loud, "Now, if I were you and I had taken it off to put it somewhere safe I would have put it right..... here," and reached up to the lip of the decorative door frame. There it was!

When my grandmother died we found wrapped Christmas presents that had to have been hidden for at least a decade, based on the ages of the intended recipients.

I think it must be genetic. I do it too. :D Makes me think of her every time.

The other day I realized that I hadn't seen a certain craft book in ages, possibly years. I searched *every possible place* and couldn't find it. I mentioned it to my family Sunday afternoon. Sunday evening DH was trying to find an empty storage box...he found a nearly empty box with: a dishcloth, a cloth diaper (we never used cloth and the youngest is 12), 2 weird sun visors, the lid to a leftover dish we no longer own and...the missing craft book!! I'm very happy about the book but...why? why? WHY!!?:lol:

..."In a safe place" means Mommy lost something again. It took my 2 1/2 months to find them.

HAHAHAHAH....sounds like the house i grew up in! My mom was always losing things. "But I just put it in a safe place where I'd know where it was" always meant UH OH!! Mom was crazy bad at losing things. Once b/4 I was born, she lost the monopoly game - it was found the next day in the bottom of the fridge. :) Remote controls have turned up in the car and phones have been found in odd places as well. Keys have been lost far too many times to count.

Bad thing is, I'm JUST like that now and it kills me. Talk about growing up and turning into your mother! My DH is my lifeline...he always knows where things are and if I need something found I have to turn to him. Sometimes he jokes that "wanting someone to keep track of my stuff" was the only reason I married him! :)