Menu

what are grits and can I substitute something up north?

You may be able to find grits in a natural food store/coop. That's where I get mine, even though they're available in Wal Mart. The grits in the nat. store are much more like a grain. And less like "grainy snot", as TXMomof4 called them.

My dh, however, loves his "grainy snot" Jim Dandy white grits from Wal Mart. :D

They are in the cereal section next to the oatmeal, (at least they are in TX). Do you want me to mail you a box?

My kids eat them for breakfast with butter and salt. Yum!! Or you can fry up an egg, put the egg on the grits and let the yolk run on the grits. Double Yum!!

Edited by Ferdie

I have lived in Texas all my life and grits are good for killing fire ants and that is about it.:lol:

They are near the oatmeal here, but maybe a good substitute would be the dry baby cereal flakes?

So do they really kill fire ants??? My LA relatives tell me there's nothing that will kill those nasty little varmints. And I hear the fire ants are making their way up to VA, which is bad news for me because we already have ants swarming at different spots in our house during certain times of the year. Fire ants would just be that much worse. I'd love to be ready for'em, grits in hand!

:lol: I had no idea grits could raise such controversy!

I was looking for a recipe tonight to use sausage and the recipe that came up required grits. I was wondering about rolled oats instead??? I'm in Nova Scotia and buy 85% of our food from the natural food section and I can't say I've ever seen grits there. I'll go check out the links to see if they sound familiar to anything we might have here :)

Thanks ladies!

:lol: I had no idea grits could raise such controversy!

I was looking for a recipe tonight to use sausage and the recipe that came up required grits. I was wondering about rolled oats instead??? I'm in Nova Scotia and buy 85% of our food from the natural food section and I can't say I've ever seen grits there. I'll go check out the links to see if they sound familiar to anything we might have here :)

Thanks ladies!

They're ground corn. There's more to it than that, but ultimately that's what grits are.

If your recipe is served on grits, I would make a thin polenta to approximate grits. If they're used as a thickener, I would use something else.

I would not, not, not substitute oats for this recipe.

I have lived in Texas all my life and grits are good for killing fire ants and that is about it.:lol:

They are near the oatmeal here, but maybe a good substitute would be the dry baby cereal flakes?

How do they kill fire ants and what do I need to do to???? Fire mounds are taking over the entire yard .

And I can't stand grits so to put them to use as killing those hateful buggers would be justice for all those years I had to eat grits at home.

TO the OP, I wouldn't substitute something big like oats for grits. They are tiny grains. Quinoa might be closer to grit constancy.

Grits are an acquired taste, I have found. I was raised on them with cheese and butter. My husband, finally, after 15 years of marriage said the other day that he likes them. Could have knocked me over with a feather. My daughter loves them. My son prefers Hasty Pudding (yellow corn meal cooked & served with maple syrup).

My mom always told me they were ground up Hominy (which looks like a great big white corn). But at any rate... I love them. My mom used to make them into pancakes and eat them with syrup - also yummy! And no, I wouldn't substitute them for a grain - they are definitely in the corn family.

I live in New York - and they are in the cereal isle here (near the Oatmeal) at Wal-Mart. :001_smile:

How do they kill fire ants and what do I need to do to???? Fire mounds are taking over the entire yard .

And I can't stand grits so to put them to use as killing those hateful buggers would be justice for all those years I had to eat grits at home.

TO the OP, I wouldn't substitute something big like oats for grits. They are tiny grains. Quinoa might be closer to grit constancy.

The fire ants eat them, they expand and make them explode. At least that's what I've heard. Anything that can make something explode should NOT be eaten.

(Can you tell I really hate grits? They were required eating when I was a kid and I don't think I'll ever recover.)

This is probably the most offensive thread I've read so far. Moderators, are you reading this??? Grits are one of God's great creations! The stuff at walmart is offensive to the true southerner. I buy mine at a mill in Georgia... oh. so. good.

You can probably substitute cream of wheat for that recipe. Cream of wheat is quite similar to grits, only a little finer. I, of course, only eat cream of wheat in truly desperate times when I can't get any grits, and only with salt and butter.

Grits are an acquired taste, I have found. I was raised on them with cheese and butter. My husband, finally, after 15 years of marriage said the other day that he likes them. Could have knocked me over with a feather. My daughter loves them. My son prefers Hasty Pudding (yellow corn meal cooked & served with maple syrup).

I agree. I hated them for years, then BAM I love them.

Check in hot cereal near cream of wheat.

Just sprinkle grits on ant mounds and stir them up. They will eat them, drink water and explode. No more ants. We won't win any humanity awards, but those things hurt when they sting.

The fire ants eat them, they expand and make them explode. At least that's what I've heard. Anything that can make something explode should NOT be eaten.

(Can you tell I really hate grits? They were required eating when I was a kid and I don't think I'll ever recover.)

Oops, I posted before reading the whole thread. Sorry.

:lol: That is funny!

Enough of these critical comments! There seems to be a lack of a good recipe that makes tasty grits seem like snotty nasty stuff...so take heart! Here is Paula Dean's recipe for Baked Garlic Cheese Grits. Now this is heavenly!! (You can use coarsely-ground corn meal if you can't find grits.)

6 cups chicken broth

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

2 cups regular grits

16 ounces Cheddar, cubed

1/2 cup milk

4 large eggs, beaten

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

8 ounces grated sharp white Cheddar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.

Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cubed Cheddar and milk and stir. Gradually stir in the eggs and butter, stirring until all are combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the white Cheddar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

Mmm...grits!

I didn't like them growing up, either. But that's because my mom cooked them in water and put butter and sugar on them.

The way to cook them is in a mixture of water and milk or cream. When they're done, add butter, American cheese, shredded sharp cheddar, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Nothing snotty about those, just creamy, cheesy goodness! :D

Oooo, there's nothing else that goes so well with grillades! And if you've never had grits with blackberries, well, you're missing out.

I heard a different explanation of how & why to use grits to kill ants. You wait until it's predicted to rain the next day, then sprinkle it on the mound. They take it in and store it, then when the rain comes, it swells up and traps the ants.

I always questioned that explanation, though, I wondered why they coudn't just tunnel out.

Grits are made from course-ground white corn meal/hominy meal (Hominy is white corn that's been treated with lye to bring out some vitamins in it). Polenta is very similar, but often cooked to a firmer consistency.

Instant grits is just disgusting. So is cream of wheat. Blech.

Instant grits is just disgusting. So is cream of wheat.

Agreed. Like oatmeal, it only takes a bit longer to cook the old-fashioned than it takes to cook the instant. Go for a good brand and prepare them on the stove top. NOT blech! :D Not health food, either, I must admit. But we like 'em!

I can't say I've ever seen grits there.

I go to Bulk Barn and I've never seen them, either. I had grits one time, burned by a friend from NC. :lol: I'm thinking either water-thinned cornmeal or that Red River cereal stuff that my friend from Alberta used to buy when she was here in NS. I think you can get that at BB, too.

It didn't help to watch my grandmother cook them, keep our portion warm (:tongue_smilie:) until Grandaddy came in, and then watch him his portion stone COLD and cut it like you would a pie. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

My boys are going to love covering the ant hills with grits and stirring the little buggers up. Since both grits and fire ants are the devil's personal weapons of torture, that is poetic justice. :D:D:D

My hubby will fall over dead to see the waste of good ole grits on ants though.:001_huh: