Menu

Crafty, building set, etc gift ideas?

You can't go wrong with Legos for building sets. Lincoln logs and Tinkertoys are also a big hit. Gears are pretty neat. Those Pixos things look pretty neat, but after the aqua dots recall last year I'm a little wary, yk? My ds2 wants that Paperoni craft set they show on TV. Tuesday Morning stores, as well as places like TJ Maxx and Ross always have really cool craft and science kits that are really reasonably priced. If you have a Rainbow Resource phonebook, er, catalog;) they have lots of neat stuff in there, too.

I'm doing the same thing as you this year....nothing that makes noises, takes batteries, or is electronic. DD5 is my crafty, artistic, science girl. Here's a few things I'm getting for her:

Lab in a Bag (there's several different ones you can get): http://www.amazon.com/Be-Amazing-Lab-Bag-Wonders/dp/B000E0DYOU

Gel Ant Farm: http://www.amazon.com/Fascinations-ANTW2-Antworks-Illuminated/dp/B000F6F8CY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1260124959&sr=1-2-spell

Big box filled with tape, coloring books, paints, crafts from Michaels, etc.

Crayola Masterworks Case (not paying that price, got it at Toys R Us for $25): http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-200-Piece-Masterworks-Art-Case/dp/B000UKNR50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1260125007&sr=1-1

Last year, we gave my dd a Year of the Dollhouse gift certificate and each month we worked on redecorating a room. We've both really enjoyed the gift. :)

This year, my ds is getting a Year of Building gift certificate along with Steven Caney's Ultimate Building Book. Each month we'll buy ds the supplies for a project from the book. My dd and I will be felt sewing this year (which will be new for me too). Here's more info.

To me, these building sets are the best for mechanically-oriented children because many of the technologies used for attachment, etc., match those used in the real world.

The biggest issue with FischerTechnik is that they have never really been overly successful marketing their products in the US. As such, it has sometimes been a challenge to find them. I suggest that you Google 'FischerTechnik' and go from there. We haven't bought any for several years since we have practically everything they've made. The kids still build the models and learn a lot from them!

My 8yos recently had a blast building an incredibly sturdy wooden Tonka truck he received as a gift exchange. He also liked receiving a bucket of nails and a tool set w/ a pile of scrap wood for his 7th b-day last year. lotsa birdhouses, lol!

I second legos.

playdough is a blast too, even at my age ;)

I'm dying to get the girls Keva planks, but I don't know how much they'd appreciate them versus the cost.

I bought Cityblocks from Amazon. They look the same as Keva but much less of a cost.

I also bought a little erector set, bag of marbles with game instructions, marshmallow shooters, battleship, and a Build-A-Bear gift cert.

To me, these building sets are the best for mechanically-oriented children because many of the technologies used for attachment, etc., match those used in the real world.

The biggest issue with FischerTechnik is that they have never really been overly successful marketing their products in the US. As such, it has sometimes been a challenge to find them. build the models and learn a lot

We really like fischertechnik, too. Timberdoodle has a decent selection of their kits.

Our kids decided they wanted to learn to knit and crochet, after seeing one of the moms doing so during gymnastics class. I bought a book or two, yarn, and needles/hooks, and let them have at it. They even sparked interest among some of the other kids at gymnastics, and started teaching them how to do it too. Our library has a knit club too, with members of all ages, so it's been a nice way for them to be involved and have their own hobby.

Erica in OR