Menu

What gifts are you making for your girlfriends?

I haven't done this yet but I love the idea. When we moved into this house I found a pot holder that is obviously handmade. It is Beige print on one side, green print on the back with red edging. It is machine quilted but hand embroidered to say "Merry Christmas 1956" . I just love it! And I would love to receive something similar myself.

A few years ago I made small sachets and gave those as gifts.

Umm...if you look at my signature line, you'll see why I'm making what I'm making....

Some of my friends are getting small cheesecakes from me, and some are getting flourless chocolate cakes.

I don't sew well, and I'm not that crafty. :(

One year I did small baskets with little jars of homemade ice cream toppings: Hot fudge, caramel, strawberry, and maple pecan. They were easy to make, and well received.

Last year I made Decorative Clipboards with Mod Podge and Scrapbook paper and ribbon. I don't think I have a picture right now, but if you are interested, I could maybe take one (I made one this past summer for myself) and post it later. Quick and easy, plus cute and practical.

I went looking after I read the pp's post. I found a free pattern (not that the $1.99 for the pp's pattern is not worth it -- I just happened upon a free one first.)

http://twowackywomen.com/files/notjustanothernotepad.pdf

I agree about the $2 - but I really enjoy her blog and the crafts and ideas she takes the time to post. I just feel convicted about supporting small business, women owned businesses, and websites that I really enjoy to keep them up and running. :)

[ETA - the pattern from Skip to My Lou is easier, IMHO. :) But I'd make one and then tweak for my own preferences. :)]

Edited by Kayaking Mom
being funny

Umm...if you look at my signature line, you'll see why I'm making what I'm making....

Some of my friends are getting small cheesecakes from me, and some are getting flourless chocolate cakes.

I don't sew well, and I'm not that crafty. :(

One year I did small baskets with little jars of homemade ice cream toppings: Hot fudge, caramel, strawberry, and maple pecan. They were easy to make, and well received.

Wow, I *love* the idea of homemade ice cream toppings!!! I have never thought of that before. I may use it for my kids's Sunday school teachers. Hmmm...where could I find small jars cheap?

Last year I made Decorative Clipboards with Mod Podge and Scrapbook paper and ribbon. I don't think I have a picture right now, but if you are interested, I could maybe take one (I made one this past summer for myself) and post it later. Quick and easy, plus cute and practical.

I received a home decorated clipboard last year for my birthday and love it. My friend also Mod Podged a bible verse on it for me.

Also these cookies in a jar are great:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cranberry-Hootycreeks/Detail.aspx

Edited by Ferdie

Last year I made snowman door stops out of landscaping brinks. I found the idea in Family Fun magazine. They were easy and very cute. Everyone loved them and I've already spotted them at a few friends' houses this year!

Here's a picture with instructions: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/frosty-the-doorstop-674899/

This is a great idea, too!! Where did you buy your landscaping bricks?

Hmmm...where could I find small jars cheap?

I just used the smallest canning jars at Walmart. If you Freecycle, you might be able to ask for some jars there.

ETA: one more thing I liked about this gift is that it's so easy to add more stuff to make a larger gift if that's what you need: maraschino cherries, colorful sprinkles, nut topping, a nice ice cream scoop, or some inexpensive ice cream sundae glasses (also from WM and pretty cheap!).

Edited by Julie in CA

We just made some collage frames with Christmas die cuts that are adorable. There are some 8x8 frames at Kohl's that are black and work great for this. All the die cuts are Christmas theme so if you have anything that does die cutting, they are really nice gifts.

I'll try to post a picture later. :)

I would also love to see them! :001_smile: