Menu

Which do you think would get more use and be a better gift. . .

At my house, it would be scooters. My kids were the only ones with scooters when we first moved here 6 years ago. Most of the other kids got scooters that first Christmas. Scooters can be used for a lot longer than rollerblades, since you outgrow rollerblades as quickly as you outgrow shoes, but only preschool scooters get outgrown.

Be sure to buy Razor brand. The brand makes a difference with scooters.

I actually scooter more than my kids do now.

My son had both and scooters have definately gotten more use. He has actually worn the wheels off a couple. Scooters also have another advantage - they can ride them no matter what size shoe they wear. About 2 months after we bought our son roller blades, his foot grew 2 sizes and he coldn't wear them any more.

Given the age of your twosome, I'd like to make a suggestion concerning Rollerblades. As others have noted, kids quickly outgrow these during their growth spurts. But that means that you can often pick up a used pair in great condition for little money. Check your local charity shop (Goodwill, Salvation Army).

When my son was ready for a pair of good quality skates, we purchased an adjustable pair. They made it through two seasons of roller hockey and then were passed along to another boy on the team. When we replaced these, we found a "used" pair at Play it Again, Sports that had only been worn once or twice.

About scooters: my son loved his Razor on which he too replaced the wheels. Fortunately he only had a few scrapes, but we know two kids who broke their arms in scooter incidents. Given the young ages of your two, please consider some protective equipment as well.

Jane

It depends...scooters became old here and were ditched for skateboards, which were ditched b/c the nearest skateboard park is 45 min. Rollerblades evolved into roller hockey as the skills increased, as parking lots are always available to youth who are behaving appropriately. That said, I'd pick on interest level and athletic ability. Skates are harder for some at 6 than scooters.

Well, in an amazing stroke of irony, we found a razor scooter on clearance for $10 while grocery shopping last night. Dd had $10 to spend and decided to buy it. So, I guess my dilemma is solved. Btw, we are very safety-conscious. Both kids will be wearing their bike helmets while riding. Ds also has skateboarding pads that he might have to wear, as he is a bit more daring.