Menu

If you prepare whole foods for all your meals

Most things can be prepped in half an hour. However, I enjoy cooking and find it fun to make more elaborate meals sometimes so there are times I spend more time in the kitchen.

When I started cooking from scratch I was astounded to learn that many things don't take that much more time to make, and/or that many things that one would assume are complicated are actually very easy to make.

I also found that many things that took a long time the first time I tried became much, much quicker over time. Practice does make the process easier and quicker.

Clean-up is the same for scratch cooking as not, for the most part. There may be an extra prep bowl or two, but on the whole I have not found clean-up to be overwhelmingly long.

Do you do things like grind your own wheat/grains and soak them and that sort of thing? I am looking to add this kind of cooking soon. I have made my own breads, but after grinding the wheat, using a mixer to knead, and then baking in pans, it is a huge/long process. Maybe I am making it more difficult than it needs to be?

Dawn

Most things can be prepped in half an hour. However, I enjoy cooking and find it fun to make more elaborate meals sometimes so there are times I spend more time in the kitchen.

When I started cooking from scratch I was astounded to learn that many things don't take that much more time to make, and/or that many things that one would assume are complicated are actually very easy to make.

I also found that many things that took a long time the first time I tried became much, much quicker over time. Practice does make the process easier and quicker.

Clean-up is the same for scratch cooking as not, for the most part. There may be an extra prep bowl or two, but on the whole I have not found clean-up to be overwhelmingly long.

I am somewhere in the transition to making everything myself. We have been doing WAPF diet for years, but bought a lot of the stuff already made (local farm and health food stores). I make my own stock and soups, and sometimes make crackers and snacky food. I still buy my bread and dairy products (like cottage cheese). Otherwise I make all of our meals from scratch. A typical day for us is like this:

Breakfast: Soaked kamut pancakes (bought kamut flour already milled), butter (bought from farm), maple syrup, sausage or bacon (bought from Polyface farm)

Lunch (our big meal): Homemade soup (made with homemade stock), salad of some sort (yesterday was asparagus, beets, goat's cheese-bought, pine nuts, and homemade dressing), then entree of something like Baked Chicken, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, and steamed broccoli.

Supper: Homemade soup and store-bought sourdough with farm-made butter.

DH and I don't snack, but DS will have cottage cheese (farm made) and fruit 1-2X a day.

Beverages are just water and tea. I would like to brew some lacto-fermented sodas at some point.

So I'm definitely still transitioning and buying a number of things already made. The way I say it: I make all of our meals from scratch but don't yet make all of our ingredients.

To answer your question, for where I am now I spend about 3 hours in the kitchen a day (that includes prep, cooking, dishes, cleaning, etc.) When I add bread, dairy and sodas, I expects to add 1 more hour a day most days, alternating what I do each day (i.e. Mon is bread day, Tue is butter and cottage cheese day, Wed is sodas, etc.)

I've switched to the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day method of bread making, which only takes about 10 more minutes once every four loaves to use home-ground wheat. I find it to be much easier and it has fewer dishes/pans to wash. I've used it for bread, rolls, cinnamon buns (not as good as a sweet dough) and pizza (great.)

I usually take about an hour to make dinner, but, because of swim practice right before dinner, I often make it earlier and leave it in the crock pot or oven. (So I can be making lunch and dinner at the same time.) The rest of the day time in the kitchen is less predictable because they don't eat at the same time.

I do a lot of my prep on the day I bring home my food. We have to extensively clean all our produce and I clean it when I buy it so it's available when I need it. I also precook as much as I can--brown hamburger, make a huge pot of chicken stock, vegetable stock, beef stock or whatever I'm going to need that week.

So since I do that, it doesn't take me long to make our dinners and lunches from scratch. I don't have a lot of time to cook during the week, usually, so this is the way for me to cook from scratch and not take a lot of time.

The one thing we don't do is bake bread. Not that it isn't a good idea, we just don't.

Soaking beans and grains takes little active time, you just need to plan ahead.

Like most people, we can be pressed for time. Still one can make wholesome meals fresh-cooked without spending and exorbitant amount of time.

The key is to quickly stage the meal in your mind. And then to get things started in a workflow that gets the passive elements that may take longer started, and then to efficiently split up the food prep/active cooking elements in a way that everything comes out together at the end.

Some of this comes with experience. But it does help the process to "pre-visualize." And ask yourself, while this is doing that, I can wash and chop that, and while thats going I'll do this other thing.

I can get good nutritious meals on really fast because all the time is efficient.

Small example from the other day. We went grocery shopping late. Time was pressed. We had sacks full of groceries to put away. What was my first move?

I didn't start putting the food away. Instead I first put a big pot of water I knew I was going to need on to boil, because I knew this would take time. Then I put groceries away, and food prepped. When I was ready, so was the boiling water.

Extrapolate this idea and good home-cooked meals get much less time consuming.

Bill

Do you do things like grind your own wheat/grains and soak them and that sort of thing? I am looking to add this kind of cooking soon. I have made my own breads, but after grinding the wheat, using a mixer to knead, and then baking in pans, it is a huge/long process. Maybe I am making it more difficult than it needs to be?

Dawn

If you invest in a vitamix, you can grind your wheat berries and have your bread ready to bake in 1 hour.

The heat generated during grinding speeds up the raising process~

Soaking beans and grains takes little active time, you just need to plan ahead.

:iagree: I've found this to be true for most things. You do the prep, but the major time involved is in the cooking or waiting stages. It seems daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, your personal hands-on time investment really isn't that bad. Timing is the key.

I don't make bread, but we don't eat much bread anyway. I probably spend about an hour a day cooking, maybe 90 minutes some days. I often do two things at once: chicken breast with peppers over brown rice for supper; pea soup put into the slow cooker for the next day.

We often eat leftovers for lunch, which cuts down on cooking time.

Laura

:iagree: I've found this to be true for most things. You do the prep, but the major time involved is in the cooking or waiting stages. It seems daunting at first, but once you get the hang of it, your personal hands-on time investment really isn't that bad. Timing is the key.

Yes, yes. This is why I tend to make extra so I can put some in the freezer. My biggest problem is that I fail to plan. I use my crockpot quite a bit too.

Not including bread baking (because I do a lot of two-stage recipes requiring overnight bigas, poolishes, sourdoughs and soakers), I spend probably an hour making dinner. I don't do a lot of slow-cooked meals as we like more fresh-tasting foods like stir fries, Italian and salads. I do roast a lot of chicken, but that is the easiest prep in the world! Takes me about 5 minutes to prep a chicken and throw it into the oven for an hour and a half or so. I use our rice cooker so that's hands-off, too. I prep our romaine and store it in the salad spinner so I only need to pull out a few handfuls, chop some fresh veggies and salad is done.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I admit it is a bit overwhelming at first.....I haven't yet soaked grains and would like to start.

I do know how to bake/cook for scratch, but not in the healthiest of ways always. I just hate the time involved and don't particularly enjoy it....but I would like to start enjoying it more.

I have decided to hook up a small TV in the sunroom where I can at least catch up on a show or the news while I cook too.....that way I can work while I watch rather than waiting to watch and just sitting. I am not a huge TV watcher but I do have some shows I like to watch and I do watch the news.

I also do have a Vitamix.

Question: If I have a Vitamix can I sell my whisper mill? Do I really need both? I am also considering selling my mixer as I really don't need/use it.

Dawn

When I grind wheat I like to make up bags of bread mix ready to use when I need it. I measure the flour, dough enhancers, etc and put it in a ziploc in the fridge. Then when I need bread (I make the dough in the bread machine and then bake in the oven) it's all ready but a few wet ingredients - 3 minutes to get together.

Question: If I have a Vitamix can I sell my whisper mill? Do I really need both? I am also considering selling my mixer as I really don't need/use it.

If you are going to really start bread baking in earnest, NO on both counts! I can't imagine selling my stand mixer! I don't have the strength or patience to bake bread without it. If you are serious about grinding grains, I wouldn't sell your grain mill. I don't have a Vitamix, so I don't know how it performs, but I can't imagine trying to grind enough flour in a blender...the sound alone would drive me insane.

Why do you do the dough in the bread machine but bake it in the oven?

Just curious.

Dawn

When I grind wheat I like to make up bags of bread mix ready to use when I need it. I measure the flour, dough enhancers, etc and put it in a ziploc in the fridge. Then when I need bread (I make the dough in the bread machine and then bake in the oven) it's all ready but a few wet ingredients - 3 minutes to get together.

Why do you do the dough in the bread machine but bake it in the oven?

Just curious.

Dawn

I'm not speaking for you SWM, but I used to do this too...I started out my bread baking using a Breadman from start to finish - it was a great introduction to bread baking and I'm thankful that I got it as a gift! I used it for about a year this way, and then I started to use the Breadman to knead, and transferred the dough to pans to bake in the oven because I didn't like the holes; then we moved and I had room for my pretty cobalt blue stand mixer on the counter (for the first time ever!). I put the Breadman away and have only used it a few times since moving. Getting away from the bread machine gives you much more flexibility, but if it works for your family WONDERFUL!!! Any home baked bread is 10000% better than store-bought! The smell alone is worth it.

Dawn

I do not grind my own wheat nor do I do any soaking or sprouting.

For bread, we have done a variety of systems. We used breadmakers for years, but found we were killing them and needing new ones every couple years. Then we had a system where dh would start the dough in the morning and set it to rise, and then I would finish it. That worked alright.

Our favorite by far, though, is what we do now--Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. It's a wonderful system. We make a tub of dough (just mixing, no kneading or anything else) for the fridge in about 10 minutes. Each day we take out a chunk of dough, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes while the pizza stone heats, then we throw it in the oven. My daily effort on bread is about five minutes, literally.

Aside from that we eat fresh fruits and veggies, and scratch-cooking for meat and grains. We eat very little packaged or processed products.

ARgh-what recipe are you using out of Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes per Day (strider?) I got that book out of the library and it all looked complicated :confused: I never tried any of them though. I can't remember, maybe it was something like they didn't use whole wheat flour, and that's all we use here. Am I wrong?

Can you tell me your top three recipes in there? I will order it again.

ARgh-what recipe are you using out of Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes per Day (strider?) I got that book out of the library and it all looked complicated :confused: I never tried any of them though. I can't remember, maybe it was something like they didn't use whole wheat flour, and that's all we use here. Am I wrong?

Can you tell me your top three recipes in there? I will order it again.

Unfortunately a friend is borrowing our book to try it out. Dh has the recipe we use memorized. I can probably get the book back or get my friend to tell me the name and page # later--if so I'll post again.

I will say a few things though:

We make wheat bread. Sometimes it is 100% wheat, but often we add a little white flour to make it slightly softer. When we add white flour, though, it is still mostly whole wheat.

There is apparently a second book by the same authors that has more whole grain goodness. I do not own it but it's on my Christmas list.

The book gives the impression that it is more complicated than it is. The authors are chefs who over-explain and who wax unnecessarily eloquent.

Here's what we do:

--Mix up a tub of dough, 5-10 minutes.

--Tub sits on counter for a few hours.

--Tub goes in refrigerator.

When we want to bake:

--Dig out wad of dough with a large spoon.

--Plop wad of dough on counter or bread board that has a fine sprinkling of cornmeal on it.

--Heat oven while dough is on counter.

--Throw dough in oven on pizza stone.

--Take bread out when finished and cool on rack.

Steps we skip:

We don't scatter dough with flour before digging out, and 90% of the time I forget to include a pan of water in the oven. We don't even really shape the dough. We do leave the pizza stone in the oven at all times. Our bread turns out great all the same, and others have been very, very complimentary of it.

Thanks, Strider. I cked on Amazon and saw the newer book; ordered the older one again from my library. Would love to know which recipe it is when you get it back, thanks!

Now, how necessary is a pizza stone? Maybe that's why I didn't use the book? And what pizza stone do you like-will put one on Christmas list! (May start a spinoff thread to see what brand people like!)

Are you saying you sub wheat flour for some of the white flour in their recipe? That would work for me-what kind of wheat flour, ratio, etc? Sorry for so many questions-from your description, this is the exact kind of bread recipe I'm looking for! Thanks so much!!!

(You can PM me if you want, so we don't hijack the thread.)

Edited by HappyGrace

Spycar hit the nail on the head. Being in the kitchen is all about optimisation. The more you do it the better you get at it too. Knowing how long something will take you and what else can be achieved in the meantime is a key to successful cooking. We eat well and bake our own bread, we grow vegies but don't mill flour etc. ATM my cooking day looks something like this (prep, cooking, serving & clearing time included) -

Breakfast - 5 - 10 mins, depends if we are having hot or cold

Mid morning - loaf of bread on 5 mins

Lunch - 10 - 20 mins, depends if we are having hot or cold

Afternoon tea - 5 mins. At this time i may also bake depending on the day so could be as much as 45 mins depending on cake, biscuits, slice etc. If we are having a slower cooked meal like roast or soup i may also put it on at this time but that is usually a quick process 10 - 15 min.

Dinner - 20 - 40 mins. We generally like quickly cooked meals having had 3 bubs in 3 years you can't spend hours cooking in the kitchen when they are all needy around dinner time :) If i know i need something like soaked lentils i will set them aside during this time also.

Menu planning at least for main meals can cut down on kitchen time too. I always know what we are eating for the week so don't spend 30min in the kitchen wondering what to whip up tonight. It also helps with timing and pre-prepping foods the day before if you know you will be out etc.

That does sound easy. Thanks for sharing.

Although I do have a Zojirushi Whole wheat bread maker that I found in new condtion at the thrift store for $7. It doesn't have a hole really, but does have an indentation in the bottom. I haven't used it much yet, but it does work really well.

I need to find a place to store and use it. There isn't room to just leave it out on the counter. Someone posted a while back that her mother kept hers in the laundry room and started it every am. I may need to find a creative solution like that myself.

Do you buy just regular meat or are you picky about free range meats?

Dawn

I do not grind my own wheat nor do I do any soaking or sprouting.

For bread, we have done a variety of systems. We used breadmakers for years, but found we were killing them and needing new ones every couple years. Then we had a system where dh would start the dough in the morning and set it to rise, and then I would finish it. That worked alright.

Our favorite by far, though, is what we do now--Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. It's a wonderful system. We make a tub of dough (just mixing, no kneading or anything else) for the fridge in about 10 minutes. Each day we take out a chunk of dough, let it sit on the counter for ten minutes while the pizza stone heats, then we throw it in the oven. My daily effort on bread is about five minutes, literally.

Aside from that we eat fresh fruits and veggies, and scratch-cooking for meat and grains. We eat very little packaged or processed products.

Oh, please, DO hijack! I want to know!

Dawn

Thanks, Strider. I cked on Amazon and saw the newer book; ordered the older one again from my library. Would love to know which recipe it is when you get it back, thanks!

Now, how necessary is a pizza stone? Maybe that's why I didn't use the book? And what pizza stone do you like-will put one on Christmas list! (May start a spinoff thread to see what brand people like!)

Are you saying you sub wheat flour for some of the white flour in their recipe? That would work for me-what kind of wheat flour, ratio, etc? Sorry for so many questions-from your description, this is the exact kind of bread recipe I'm looking for! Thanks so much!!!

(You can PM me if you want, so we don't hijack the thread.)

When we want to bake:

--Dig out wad of dough with a large spoon.

--Plop wad of dough on counter or bread board that has a fine sprinkling of cornmeal on it.

--Heat oven while dough is on counter.

--Throw dough in oven on pizza stone.

--Take bread out when finished and cool on rack.

Steps we skip:

We don't scatter dough with flour before digging out, and 90% of the time I forget to include a pan of water in the oven. We don't even really shape the dough. We do leave the pizza stone in the oven at all times. Our bread turns out great all the same, and others have been very, very complimentary of it.

2 questions: What is your recipe? How necessary is a pizza stone? Can you do it with something other than a pizza stone? (okay, 3 questions;))

We use NT about 90% of the time. My favorite book. But here's the thing. Our family has an extremely simple menu. First of all, having a very large family I have to keep things cheap AND healthy. We grind our own grains and that helps too. Grow a garden and can. A day's menu can look something like this:

Breakfast

eggs/toast or

soaked whole grain waffles, popovers, or pancakes. OR

rice and milk, cream of wheat, oatmeal

Lunch

kefir or buttermilk smoothie using frozen bananas with a couple eggs thrown in the smoothie and some whole grain toast or bread.

dinner can look like the above depending on whether or not hubby is home or at work. We do tons of homemade soup and bread.

Beans and rice are big too. We buy about 1/2 a beef (organic) every 18 months or so and use it sparingly.

For beverages our family goes through tons of kefir lemonade and kombucha. I'm really thankful my children and husband are easy. I don't get too many complaints from anyone. Our main diet is raw milk and eggs we get from a local farmer and grains, fruits and veggies.

I spend 2 or 3 hours cooking most days.

Same here. I also spend time after the kids go to bed washing the next days fresh veggies - usually a leafy green. We use Body Ecology which is similar to Nourishing Traditions in that it involves soaking grains and fermenting foods. Nighttimes are when I do most of the work although dinner usually takes an hour of prep. But in our case, I normally have to make 3 meals per mealtime b/c of the multiple food allergies so I think that factors into the amount of time here. I do not make bread.

Wonderful!

Do you make gallons of kefir at once? I have only made up to 2 quart jars but that is because DH and the kids won't touch it. I would love for my kids to drink it but they couldn't stand it and it is hard to make them when dad won't touch it.

Do you use raw milk? Do you get free range chickens? How long do fresh eggs last?

I really do need to get the NT book don't I?

Dawn

We use NT about 90% of the time. My favorite book. But here's the thing. Our family has an extremely simple menu. First of all, having a very large family I have to keep things cheap AND healthy. We grind our own grains and that helps too. Grow a garden and can. A day's menu can look something like this:

Breakfast

eggs/toast or

soaked whole grain waffles, popovers, or pancakes. OR

rice and milk, cream of wheat, oatmeal

Lunch

kefir or buttermilk smoothie using frozen bananas with a couple eggs thrown in the smoothie and some whole grain toast or bread.

dinner can look like the above depending on whether or not hubby is home or at work. We do tons of homemade soup and bread.

Beans and rice are big too. We buy about 1/2 a beef (organic) every 18 months or so and use it sparingly.

For beverages our family goes through tons of kefir lemonade and kombucha. I'm really thankful my children and husband are easy. I don't get too many complaints from anyone. Our main diet is raw milk and eggs we get from a local farmer and grains, fruits and veggies.

Since I got my Thermomix- not so much. It encourages me to make everything from scratch using fresh ingredients. Takes seconds to make and knead bread dough, grind grain to flour, make sorbet and icecream, whip up a cake, whip cream, make butter from cream, dips and smoothies...literally seconds (I think the bread dough takes a minute). It weighs everything as I go so I dont need to do that separately. It then cooks as well and i can make cappucinos, I can heat my raw milk to less than boiling, I can make curries and stews and pasta dishes....

Its not available in the U.S. yet but you can get it in Canada apparently (Its from Germany, available in Europe and Australia so far). It is THE best machine for doing wholefood cooking, cooking from scratch, in very quick timing, which makes it all doable for a busy mum. I have been making home made shortcrust pastry (again in seconds) and then making pies and flans- things I just wouldnt have time for before, and which are wonderful for lunch, gifts or great to take to pot lucks.

I cant stop raving about my Thermomix (and yes they are expensive- dh was generous- and no I dont sell them :) ).

ARGH! You would do that wouldn't you? I am a kitchen gadget freak and now I have something else I just have to have!

When is it coming to the US?

Dawn

Since I got my Thermomix- not so much. It encourages me to make everything from scratch using fresh ingredients. Takes seconds to make and knead bread dough, grind grain to flour, make sorbet and icecream, whip up a cake, whip cream, make butter from cream, dips and smoothies...literally seconds (I think the bread dough takes a minute). It weighs everything as I go so I dont need to do that separately. It then cooks as well and i can make cappucinos, I can heat my raw milk to less than boiling, I can make curries and stews and pasta dishes....

Its not available in the U.S. yet but you can get it in Canada apparently (Its from Germany, available in Europe and Australia so far). It is THE best machine for doing wholefood cooking, cooking from scratch, in very quick timing, which makes it all doable for a busy mum. I have been making home made shortcrust pastry (again in seconds) and then making pies and flans- things I just wouldnt have time for before, and which are wonderful for lunch, gifts or great to take to pot lucks.

I cant stop raving about my Thermomix (and yes they are expensive- dh was generous- and no I dont sell them :) ).

Here's the basic recipe (which I've substituted up to half whole wheat with no problems.)

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=195

I did use a pizza stone (because I happened to have one) but you could probably put it onto a hot cookie sheet on the bottom shelf.

The next adaptation I'd really like to make is to turn this recipe into a "Five Minute a Day" method. Any ideas?

http://theinversecook.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/saftig-kerniges-roggenbrot/

ARGH! You would do that wouldn't you? I am a kitchen gadget freak and now I have something else I just have to have!

When is it coming to the US?

Dawn

I knew I would get to someone :)

I found this article online, but I dont understand why they think its so difficult to learn to use- once someone just shows you how, it's easy. It might be the metric/imperial conversions that make it harder for Americans I guess, if they havent converted the cookbooks- but how hard is that to do? The way it works here is that you get in contact with a dealer- usually a housewife making some extra cash- and you go to a demonstration in your area. When you order one, they come to your home and cook a simple meal with you (pumpkin soup for me), to show you how it works. After that, easy peasy, you are flying.

I am going away for a week tomorrow- this afternoon I have made a mushroom walnut flan (pastry from scratch and blind baked), a butter chicken curry, a bolognaise sauce, a brown rice salad- and I am about to make cauliflower cheese- so that my family have food while I am away and dont resort to the Golden Arches too many times. Although they are leanring to use the Thermomix too.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/06201/707008-34.stm

Be afraid, everyone, be very afraid. Peela told me about her Thermomix and in about 5 minutes I felt like I absolutely had to have one. In fact, I still do. I'm just waiting for DH to buy himself something expensive so I have an excuse (yes, Peela, I remember :tongue_smilie:)

You NEED one Lucy, especially now you have a baby! :)