Menu

bible centered curriculum

thowell

I think HOD is very Christ-centered, but I wouldn't advise trying to combine all your kids in it. It seems to work best IMO when each child has her own level.

I think I would second Cadam's recommendation of MFW in your situation.

Best wishes!

I would the that "The Principle Approach" might fit you well! If I was starting over, I might look at this more closely. http://face.net/ http://face.net/204004.ihtml http://face.net/203691.ihtml

They have a full curriculum that you can purchase. I think it's like this... "The Principle Approach" is nodding towards the lady?? who put the & principles down... the Noah's Curriculum is a curriculum that is trying to be a "Principles Approach" curricula. I can see it being great, I just have children at different stages than to try and sort it out. If there was a school here that used it, and I could afford it... I would be VERY interested:-)

Carrie

Have you considered S.O.W. (Student of the Word)? Their website is sowcurriculum.com and for answers to any questions you may have about the curriculum, there is a very active yahoo group, www.groups.yahoo.com/0-StudentsoftheWord.

I am looking at this now. I am waiting for a reply from the yahoo group to explain exactly what I would need to purchase. Is this everything except math?

We've been using My Father's World since 2004 and plan to continue with it through high school. Here's a link directly to their message boards: http://board.mfwbooks.com/

Thanks for the link. I have also looked at MFW and have their catalog. Reading some of the post at the link has made me take another link. I saw an earlier post were someone said that the Bible was not the real focus and only weaved in a little. It seems to be a real focus from what I am reading. Is there anything other than the deluxe package and a math that I would need for a 2nd and 5th grader?

"I am looking at this now. I am waiting for a reply from the yahoo group to explain exactly what I would need to purchase. Is this everything except math?"

Yes, all the basic subjects: English, Phonics,History, Geography, Penmanship, Literature, Spelling, Science, Art, Music, Creative Writing, Language Arts, Reading, and Bible. Everything except Math is included.

I recently viewed this user blog; read the three entries from May 29 2008 for more details on this blog:

homeschoolblogger.com/joyfuljumbles/Homeschool%20Related/

Thanks for the link. I have also looked at MFW and have their catalog. Reading some of the post at the link has made me take another link. I saw an earlier post were someone said that the Bible was not the real focus and only weaved in a little. It seems to be a real focus from what I am reading. Is there anything other than the deluxe package and a math that I would need for a 2nd and 5th grader?

Re: bolded quote... that person was very mistaken. :)

Language Arts? Not sure what you're currently using or have used in the past, or if you've researched the options. They do have some recommendations for LA, but you can use whatever you like. Here's a link to their LA page: http://www.mfwbooks.com/lang_arts.htm

*IF* you use their recommendations, for 5th & 2nd grade you would need:

5th -- Intermediate Language Lessons and Writing Strands. Probably level 3 of WS unless your 5th grader is already beyond that. Here's a scope & sequence, with links to sample lessons, for WS (they recommend starting at level 3 if you have 3rd grader and above... WS is not needed for a 2nd grader): http://www.writingstrands.com/curriculum.asp

2nd -- Primary Language Lessons, and possibly a cursive workbook.

You can use Spelling Power with both children.

There are more language arts skills taught within the curriculum. They've really simplified what you need to buy separately from the history/Bible/science package.

For instruction in using their particular LA recommendations: There are detailed explanations at the beginning of the teacher's manual. Then in each week's lesson plan grid, you'll see a box for each subject, on each day, which says "English" or "Spelling", and so on. You can either simply write in the next lesson like, "ILL Lesson 83", for example. Or, if you choose a different LA than what they recommend, you can write in the lesson # for whatever book you're working from. This helps compile your recordkeeping all in one place.

Since I use MFW with multiple children, I photocopy the weekly lesson plan grids so that each child has her own. That way I can write in the appropriate math and LA lesson for each child at her own level, and still have my original in the TM.

We've been using My Father's World since 2004 and plan to continue with it through high school.

:iagree: MFW has a biblical focus.

Donna, I love how you use the grid. I've been teaching 3 children using MFW for past two years (4 will be using MFW in the upcoming year) and I think I may just borrow that idea. ;)

Thanks

If you had to pick one, what would you say is the best bible based complete curriculum? I am looking for something that ties it all into the study of God's word except math of course.

Heart of Dakota is my favorite. Everything in it points the child to the Bible. I've used other curricula that also do that to some degree or another but I haven't found anything with the depth of integration that HOD provides. I love it because the Bible is taught as history and there is plenty of factual type info. given but the lessons also focus on the child's heart. There is alot of discipling going in within the context of everything else that is covered. The child is continually asked to take what he is learning and apply it to his relationship with God. There is alot of verbal interaction going on and that always leads the child to examine how to apply his head knowledge to his heart.

One thing I especially appreciate about HOD is that the science is always taught, always, from a creationist perspective. History is thoroughly Christ-centered. For example, the child may learn about an historical figure and then contrast how that figure may have behaved/thought with a Biblical figure and how he behaved/thought.

You could easily combine your two oldest school aged children and have a separate guide for your youngest. I use two guides and it all works together beautifully. For me, it's easier to use two guides written at my children's levels than to try to combine completely into one program. It doesn't feel like two programs. It feels like one with each child having assignments written at their own skill level. But, if you wanted to use one guide, you could do that with HOD just as easily as you could with any other curricula. HOD is intended to teach the child to work towards independence so by age 10 or so, the child is doing alot of their work on their own. Then, they report to you for narrations or for you to assess their work. My oldest son is thriving with that set up. My youngest son sits in on all of the oral work of my oldest son's program. Then, when my oldest son does his independent work, I teach to my youngest son using his guide.

I just love the way it's working but I especially love the Christ-centered education that they are getting. HOD does a really good job of discipling the child in the faith. That is the #1 most important goal of the curricula.

http://www.heartofdakota.com

I'm using MFW Adventures after using another Christian literature-based curriculum for 2 years--and agree with the pp's that mfw certainly is Bible centered--and I love that the subjects tie together so well!!! We are sold! I'm going to use SL Core 1 next year, then plan to do MFW's cycle--it is great~

Thank, Donna, for that snippet below--I have been using a lesson plan book separately, but I'm going to switch to your idea soon!!! I never thought of doing that, and it would be so much easier!

betsy

Since I use MFW with multiple children, I photocopy the weekly lesson plan grids so that each child has her own. That way I can write in the appropriate math and LA lesson for each child at her own level, and still have my original in the TM.

This is one of my other top choices but I heard it jumps around alot. How did it work for you?

There is a yahoo group that is a great resource and very supportive. Weaver really requires a different mindset as it covers topics but allows the parent to use whatever resources they have either on their bookshelf or from the library. I didn't really spend enough time preparing and became frustrated early on by not having the right books. I would highly suggest joining the Yahoo group and reading through lots of posts. The women who have used it for a long time are very strong advocates for Weaver and can answer your questions.

Overall, I think it can work beautifully from some families. For others, it doesn't provide enough structure.

Like I said, I may revisit it someday.

I just switched to TOG from Sonlight and am very happy using that right now. Even though it's not an all inclusive curriculum like Weaver, I feel it is very Biblical. It allows me to see history through a Biblical lense, developing a strong worldview. I had to try several times to use it before it finally clicked, but that's because I've finally learned how to have it serve our needs instead of use it exactly as written. In fact, the biggest contributor of the Weaver group, Dana, eventually left and works for TOG now.

Not trying to steer you away from Weaver at all, because as I said I have not hard the heart to sell it even though I haven't used it for a couple of years. But if you find you are struggling with it being a good fit and you feel so led, you may want to consider TOG as well.

Blessings,

Lisa

someone tell me about TOG is this a christian standpoint. Cathy Duffy said something about Catholic? We are very old fashion independent Baptist and I need to stay in that area.

No, it's not Catholic. I think (others can correct me) it's from a Reformed Protestant POV, although easily adapted.

Blessings,

Lisa

I have looked over HOD there are a few things that are holding me back. The first is that we are doing AWOA this year which will take us from the Beginning of History through The Age of Exploration. (I know this is alot in one year so we are slowing it down some) but they will need to move into American History after this program. I am HS dd6 and dd9 right now. In order to fit them into a program together through HOD I would need to do Preparing which is back to World History. I am frustrated right now and if it weren't for the disappointment with the Bible in AWOA I would just do the next volume with Learning Adventures. I am thinking of starting to look for a really good Bible to add next year. But there is also the issue of the set not being finished. I dont want my girls to be all over the place I would like to find something to stick to at least until high school.:001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure:

I have looked over HOD there are a few things that are holding me back. The first is that we are doing AWOA this year which will take us from the Beginning of History through The Age of Exploration. (I know this is alot in one year so we are slowing it down some) but they will need to move into American History after this program. I am HS dd6 and dd9 right now. In order to fit them into a program together through HOD I would need to do Preparing which is back to World History. I am frustrated right now and if it weren't for the disappointment with the Bible in AWOA I would just do the next volume with Learning Adventures. I am thinking of starting to look for a really good Bible to add next year. But there is also the issue of the set not being finished. I dont want my girls to be all over the place I would like to find something to stick to at least until high school.:001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure::001_unsure:

What about MFW Expl-1850, with the 2nd/3rd grade supplement for younger dd? http://www.mfwbooks.com/exploration.htm

If your oldest dd will be 10 next year, that would be 5th grade for her, right? So then the rest of your sequence would look like this (if you stayed with MFW):

6th & 3rd grades -- 1850-Modern w/2nd & 3rd gr. supplement

7th & 4th -- ECC with junior high supplements

8th & 5th -- Creation to the Greeks OR Rome to Reformation if you didn't want to do two years of Ancients in a row, because of doing high school Ancients in 9th grade.

OR

6th & 3rd -- 1850-Modern w/2nd & 3rd gr. supplement

7th & 4th -- Creation to the Greeks

8th & 5th -- Rome to Reformation

That would give you the complete history cycle one time through before oldest starts high school. Then your youngest would do (when oldest starts h.s.):

6th grade -- ECC

7th -- Expl-1850 at a deeper level, without the younger supplement

8th -- 1850-Modern at a deeper level without younger supplement

Not to take issue with Donna but MFW really starts US history in Explorers to 1850. I'm not sure exactly where AWOA leaves off but it sounds like there would be some overlap, which is probably why Donna was thinking of moving on to 1850 - modern. The "Exploration only" section of MFW is really only a few weeks so you could slightly shorten one program or the other, or just consider it a bit of review as you get settled into a new school year.

If you started with Exploration to 1850 from MFW (they call it year 4) your progression would look like this:

6th and 3rd grades - Exploration to 1850

7th and 4th grades - 1850 to modern times

8th and 5th grades - Exploring COuntries and Cultures

6 th - Creation to the Greeks (High Schooler starts independent HS sequence)

7th - Rome to the Reformation

8th - Exploration to 1850 (which you will already have! Use the advanced assignments and more in depth reports exc.)

Just another option!

No, no, Christina! Go back and re-read my post. :D She's talking about starting American next year when her oldest is in FIFTH grade. (I think.) I did suggest EX1850 for that. THEN.... 1850MOD for 6th, and so on. ;)

Thowell, I don't know if this is so obvious no one said it, but have you look at BJU and Abeka? The BJU hard drive and dvd options might be helpful to you also to make it easier to get things done. You might find a mixture of things to be very happy. For instance, you could use the Abeka4 text as a spine for history next year and combine your 10 yo on down. You could pick a level of the BJU science and do it with everyone. You would do LA and math for each at their level. That would give you things in your core subjects that you could continue with into high school. BJU and Apologia Elementary have strong biblical integration, with principles coming up in the discussion notes, assignments in the workbooks that have them searching the scriptures to see what the Bible says about those topics, etc., etc. The BJU Reading does a fabulous job of integrating biblical principles into reading comprehension and getting them to compare content to the truth of Scripture.

Have you looked at Timberdoodle for Bible study options? This year we're reading through the Guerber book Story of the Ancient World. Next year I want to read through the NT and cover church history. Timberdoodle sells Balancing the Sword that I think looks amazing. They also have a ton of wonderful devotional books, books about hymns, children's books on character, etc. There are lots of ways to take it.

What about MFW Expl-1850, with the 2nd/3rd grade supplement for younger dd? http://www.mfwbooks.com/exploration.htm

If your oldest dd will be 10 next year, that would be 5th grade for her, right? So then the rest of your sequence would look like this (if you stayed with MFW):

6th & 3rd grades -- 1850-Modern w/2nd & 3rd gr. supplement

7th & 4th -- ECC with junior high supplements

8th & 5th -- Creation to the Greeks OR Rome to Reformation if you didn't want to do two years of Ancients in a row, because of doing high school Ancients in 9th grade.

OR

6th & 3rd -- 1850-Modern w/2nd & 3rd gr. supplement

7th & 4th -- Creation to the Greeks

8th & 5th -- Rome to Reformation

That would give you the complete history cycle one time through before oldest starts high school. Then your youngest would do (when oldest starts h.s.):

6th grade -- ECC

7th -- Expl-1850 at a deeper level, without the younger supplement

8th -- 1850-Modern at a deeper level without younger supplement

The more i look the more I am leaning this way. I have the MFW catalog and I keep looking it over. So far I am thinking MFW is the best fit. I was kind of stuck on the history cycle but this looks great. And yes dd9 will be 5th next year and dd6 will be 2nd. Although my dd6 is showing signs of being very gifted. So I would just ned a LA and Math with this right?

Thowell, I don't know if this is so obvious no one said it, but have you look at BJU and Abeka? The BJU hard drive and dvd options might be helpful to you also to make it easier to get things done. You might find a mixture of things to be very happy. For instance, you could use the Abeka4 text as a spine for history next year and combine your 10 yo on down. You could pick a level of the BJU science and do it with everyone. You would do LA and math for each at their level. That would give you things in your core subjects that you could continue with into high school. BJU and Apologia Elementary have strong biblical integration, with principles coming up in the discussion notes, assignments in the workbooks that have them searching the scriptures to see what the Bible says about those topics, etc., etc. The BJU Reading does a fabulous job of integrating biblical principles into reading comprehension and getting them to compare content to the truth of Scripture.

Have you looked at Timberdoodle for Bible study options? This year we're reading through the Guerber book Story of the Ancient World. Next year I want to read through the NT and cover church history. Timberdoodle sells Balancing the Sword that I think looks amazing. They also have a ton of wonderful devotional books, books about hymns, children's books on character, etc. There are lots of ways to take it.

Thank you for the suggestion, and yes I have looked at this as well. My girls were doing Abeka in their private school before we HS. They hate the DVDs and Abeka was not a good fit for dd9. I have looked at BJU but did not want everything seperate. I hadn't thought I could combine it. But there are no lesson plans are there? I really need that, hold your hand thing, right now or we tend to get to lost on a subject and everything else gets pushed aside. I will look at the BJU science for combining. I thought they were all grade level specific.

You are right of course Donna. Apparently my powers of observation were on vacation :willy_nilly: because I missed the first sentance of your post - my bad.

No problem! My reference to EX1850 was sort of buried in there.... Poorly written, and therefore easy to miss. :001_smile:

The more i look the more I am leaning this way. I have the MFW catalog and I keep looking it over. So far I am thinking MFW is the best fit. I was kind of stuck on the history cycle but this looks great. And yes dd9 will be 5th next year and dd6 will be 2nd. Although my dd6 is showing signs of being very gifted. So I would just ned a LA and Math with this right?

Yes, math and LA. If you scroll down on the forums index here http://board.mfwbooks.com/ you'll see an archive forum just for language arts that might be helpful. You would ask further questions on the General Board at the very top of the forums index there.

You could also choose something else for math and LA, if you prefer. I know Cadam uses Rod & Staff English, and ?? I forget what she uses for math. If you choose Singapore math (what MFW recommends and sells), they do include lesson plans for that as well. There's a link to the placement tests on the math page of the MFW website.

A note about science (since OhElizabeth mentioned Apologia).... Science is included in MFW, and in some years they use Apologia as well as other resources. Teacher notes for all of that are included in the TM, including how to properly use the occasional Usborne (for a Creationist perspective). Then once your oldest gets to 7th grade, they recommend Apologia General and Physical for junior high, but you could also just keep your junior higher in the MFW science, adding more reading and hands-on for a deeper level.

• 1 month later...

I think you could easily do Bigger Hearts next year with those ages, which is American History. In fact, Preparing would probably be too much for your younger child. Extensions are included for older children to beef up their learning.

Just a thought.

I think you could easily do Bigger Hearts next year with those ages, which is American History. In fact, Preparing would probably be too much for your younger child. Extensions are included for older children to beef up their learning.

Just a thought.

I would probably agree with Sheila. Bigger will give you the American history focus and you could easily use the extensions for you then 10 year old. I am currently using Beyond with a 6 year old and couldn't imagine trying to put her into Preparing next year at age 7. Bigger would be a great program for your 7 year old as written and then you could just add in the extensions for your then 10 year old.

If you have any questions, the HOD forum ladies could help. And Carrie, the author, is always willing to talk and help a family find the best fit.

I tried a search but couldnt find what I was looking for. If you had to pick one, what would you say is the best bible based complete curriculum? I am looking for something that ties it all into the study of God's word except math of course.

I realize this is an older thread, but for those who do a search later I thought I would mention that The Mystery of History (MOH) is a Bible Based History text, and can be a full program with the addition of Illuminations, which includes LA/Literature and science for younger kids. It isn't a curriculum that includes MOH, it was written for MOH.

TruthQuest is another Bible based history program. The same author has also updated the Guerber history text, which you can use with TruthQuest or as a stand alone.

Winter Promise has some levels that are Bible based. It used MOH in the Ancients and Middle Ages Program, and includes an AIG text in the Animals program.

BiblioPlan also schedules MOH, and is structured more like TOG. I don't know a lot else about it.

Heather

TruthQuest is another Bible based history program. The same author has also updated the Guerber history text, which you can use with TruthQuest or as a stand alone.

I just wanted to correct this. TQ and the updated Guerber history texts are not by the same author. TQ is by Michelle Miller and the updated Guerber books are by Christine Miller. No relation.

I just wanted to correct this. TQ and the updated Guerber history texts are not by the same author. TQ is by Michelle Miller and the updated Guerber books are by Christine Miller. No relation.

Thanks for correcting me on that one!!

Heather

• 2 months later...

I would say of all that I have looked at which definately doesnot include every curriculum out there. BUt the Principle approach or I should say biblical principle approach which is more a methodology than a curriculum. has everything based on God's word. you give the definition of the subject for example mathematics. you get the 1828 dictionary since it is a Biblically based dictionary. you look up mathematics and get its definition then break that down. Look up the vocabulary in the bible comentary and teach the principles and leading ideas. internal to external. Noah Plan is a great curriculum for that. But it is labor intensive for the parent, because you are the example. you do the research. It is based on the 4 r-s research reason relate record. It is very good.

I would have to say the Principle approach is the most biblical approach I have seen. However, it is not an approach of teaching that you just open the textbook and go. You have to train yourself first. It reasons EVERY subject, including math from a biblical perspective. You start with the vocabulary of every subject. You look the words up in the 1828 dictionary, you then use your concordance and find scripture that refers to the what you are teaching. Everything under the son is God's, every subject is God's, history is HIS story. God is the one that made numbers that is why they are absolutes. 2+2 is always 4. It teaches a Chain of Christianity, using a timeline, with specific points on the timeline. This is to show God's hand in all of history, he is sovereign. you use a notebook approach with the 4 r's. RESEARCH, REASON, RELATE, RECORD. This way you have a permanent record of your work. It is not just workbook pages, fill in the blanks, it is excellent, You can use your own curriculum, or you can use the Noah Plan, or for History there are others out there that are great. especially from the Pilgrim Institute. I have never seen one so thorough, however, it is a methodology, its just the noah plan has done the work for you. k-3rd grade has the actual books, 4th = 12th grade has an overview cd. I have to say i got the 5th grade overview, and it did not help me at all. So i got a previous year book, and used it as a guide. They are so advanced that you could use the K book for 6th grade, you would just substitute the reading and math for more advanced. the history and literature would be just fine. nancyt.

• 1 year later...

I am for the Principle approach, there are alot of books you can use and do the methodology of the principle approach. Any good living book would be a good candidate for the PA form of teaching. doing 4'ring, Research, Reason, Relate, Record. read a chapter of a text, get important vocabulary from it, look it up in the 1828 dictionary, look it up in the concordance, use the bible to draw out the main ideas, and principles, and teach it to your child. do alot of discussing for understanding. It is really a great program. nancyt

Another vote here for HOD :001_smile: I love the way it is open and go. I can pick and choose the boxes/topics in the manual I want to complete as written or replace with something else. Example, instead of using SM we use a combination of Horizons and MM. This has been a relaxing year for me in regards to curriculum planning on a daily basis. Thanks HOD!

Ambleside article on using the KJV Bible http://www.amblesideonline.org/WhyKJV.shtml

I have gone back to using the KJV as the core of all my studies, despite still working through a major crisis in faith, and having recently spent some time as a pagan. When I home schooled my boys, other than their American School correspondence courses, all our studies were KJV based unit studies.

I have more money to spend on books now that I am single and empty nest, and can skip meals for books, so I can indulge on all the best and I'm having a blast.

I'm always tweaking and hopping, but for right now I'm using SOW as the core and supplementing heavily with Bedell and Bible Study Guide For All Ages. I like Picture Smart Bible, Stick Figuring with the Bible and recently purchased a timeline game from Currclick and the hard copy Old Testament workbooks by Susan Mortimer, the author of CGC.

I have the Literary Study Bible and The Bible and It's influence for heavy duty Lit analysis. And the KJV multicast, dramatized GoBible iPad app is fantastic for increasing reading comprehension of archaic text.

There are an amazing amount of resources all written for this small collection of 66 books, and many of them are free!

Hymn tunes are great for early music instruction and the lyrics make great poetry examples.

There are all sorts of art lessons available, and most of the famous artists all used the Bible as inspiration.

I realized I just don't know how to self-educate or homeschool without basing everything on the KJV :-0