Menu

Need names of children's authors who illustrate their work

I am preparing art classes to teach for community ed. and would like to do a series on Art With The Authors. I want to do Eric Carle and Beatrix Potter and need a third. Preferably one with a unique or neat method of illustrating their books. I really like James Arnosky's nature books, but the Potter class will already involve drawing something in nature and she's more well known.

Anyone who does their illustrations in chalks, oil pastels or charcoal or some method?

If anyone knows, the Hive will! :grouphug:

He wrote Mr. Gumpy's Outing, among others. He was a great fave of my two when they were little.

He uses cross hatching extensively and well, giving his art a unique look. I think he uses water color and colored pencils as his media, though.

What about Richard Scary? I think he used clear films, which he layered to add color to his work.

Also... Robert McCloskey (charcoal pencil, I believe?)

I know she was already mentioned, but Lois Ehlert was the first to pop into my mind.

Some others I thought of are:

Ed Young

Leo Lionni

Ezra Jack Keats

Kevin Henkes

Robert McCloskey

Maurice Sendak

William Steig

Chris Van Allsburg

David Weisner

Vera B. Williams

Arnold Lobel

:001_smile:

Consider Maurice Sendak, too. I love Chicken Soup with Rice, One was Johnny, Pierre, and Alligators All Around. Also, his stage sets are stunning, if you want to talk about a whole 'nother scale for art.

Then there's the author of Olivia.

Or Demi.

HA Rey? Munroe Leaf? Ludwig Bemelmins (sp)?

Sounds like a fun class.:001_smile:

Night of the Moonjellies and The Hall of Beasts

by Mark Shasha

Rabbit Hill, They Were Strong and Good, Mr. Revere And I,

Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos

by Robert Lawson

The Caboose that got Loose, ect.... Bill Peet

The Polar Express, ect... Chris Van Allsburg

Cathedral, ect.... David Maculay

The Hat, ect..... by Jan Brett

I am preparing art classes to teach for community ed. and would like to do a series on Art With The Authors. I want to do Eric Carle and Beatrix Potter and need a third. Preferably one with a unique or neat method of illustrating their books. I really like James Arnosky's nature books, but the Potter class will already involve drawing something in nature and she's more well known.

Anyone who does their illustrations in chalks, oil pastels or charcoal or some method?

If anyone knows, the Hive will! :grouphug:

Jan Brett, Tasha Tudor, Stephen Kellogg, Don and Audrey Wood, Barbara Cooney. Lane Smith writes some of the books he illustrates, and the style is quite distinctive. Oh, William Joyce, of course.

Bill Peet...he might also be interesting as he was a top animator for Disney. He was the lead animator on 101 Dalmations, as well as others. There is a Bill Peet website with tons of info. http://www.billpeet.net

David Small is another one. He illustrates a lot books for others (especially those by his wife Sarah Stewart) but he also illustrates his own. My favorite of his is Imogene's Antlers.

Nancy Tafuri...books are for very young children but the pictures are amazing. Incredibly detailed and beautiful.