Menu

If you had to do 2nd grade in the easiest (on mom) possible way, how would you do it?

melissel

The short version of the backstory is that I'm hoping to quit my (30-hours-per-week) job at the end of the year, but for various reasons, may not be able to (DH needs shoulder surgery, I need dental work--both will erode our Quit-My-Job fund--and DH's job is undergoing some changes). Until I CAN quit, I need to simplify some of the things I'm doing here. I love love love what we're doing now, but if I can simplify anything, it would help me out greatly.

So if you had to cut down to bare bones, how would you do it? Workbooks? Cutting subjects? Keeping readalouds but cutting out projects? Any ideas are welcome.

(And please, no flames. I'm already facing the fact that if things continue on as they are, we're looking at public school for third grade, so be gentle with me :()

TIA!

This is the meat of what I'm doing with my 2nd grader:

CLE Math

CLE LA

WWE 2

SL 3 - bible, history, science, read-alouds, readers

I think these are excellent programs and she can work on CLE Math and LA almost completely independently. This takes under 3 hours to complete and only takes about 1 - 1.25 hours of my time.

I do add in other things for her like piano practice, memorization, and critical thinking company cds. While she enjoys all these extras, I could easily drop them and still feel like she was getting a great education with the stuff I listed above.

Lisa

I would keep SOTW and use the library for readers. I'd do Spelling Workout and Rod and Staff, getting R&S used (it's cheap to begin with). I'd get a cheap math program--I like Saxon, and you can find it used, but maybe you can find someone with Right Start who will let you borrow it. Singapore is cheap, too, as is Rod and Staff. I'd unschool science with nature notebooks, walks, parks, growing things, library books and videos.

That's it--

Read alouds tied to history

SOTW for history

Unschool Science

Math

Spelling

Reading from the library

Writing thru narration from history and nature walks

Spelling thru SWO

There's heart of dakota that I think is pretty easy to use. it won't keep you on the history cycle though. HOD would schedule everything out for you. None of the stuff you are using really looks time consuming other than RS math. I guess RSO could take up some time. You could get her a R&S text book and just have her read it. Don't do projects out of the SOTW guide.

Edited by LadyAberlin

:grouphug:

Working and homeschooling can work out!

If you LOVE your curriculum don't change. Instead try to figure out how to make the best uses of your time. Read alouds can happen at bedtime. Projects can happen on the weekend.

I work 24 hrs per week. My mom watches the kids 1 weekday and does art/crafts/fieldtrips with them. My dh has the kids 1 weekend and does science/history projects with them. I use a curriculum that is planned out for me ( eliminates lesson planning) and that I can do on my 4 day a week home schedule.

I'm not familiar enough with your curriculum choices to offer any specific advice. Just look closely at your biggest time wasters and eliminate them.

So instead of cutting to the bare bones or switching to workbooks I'd look at ways to tweak what you are already doing and make it fit in your time constraints. Another option if you cannot quit would cutting back a bit more make a difference?

HTH

Our 2nd grade is pretty easy:

The Phonics Road (year 2 is a lot less time consuming than year 1) reading, grammar, spelling, literature

Singapore Math

Apologia Elementary Science w/ library readers as back up and his quiet time. Simple narrations and picture drawings for notebook.

TOG -- not much reading for Lower grammar and you could skip the projects. Include the geography (SOTW would be a great alternative for ease.)

We do some other things too, but this would make your life easy.

I'd drop the science curriculum and teach science informally with nature walks and reading books. I'd continue SOTW 1 as a read-aloud and skip the projects. Maybe just do the coloring pages and let her do those while you read to her. Use the Sonlight catalog to find books from that time-period (that would be Core 1 in their catalog) and read-alouds (for bedtime). The reason I suggest the Sonlight catalog is because those titles are usually available in libraries. You wouldn't have to schedule them. Just read a book when you get to it.

I love the Queen LA materials. I don't think you'll find anything easier on you than those. Maybe consider their Spelling curriculum unless Spelling Workout is easy on you. Does she need the HWT? You could just have her do her best handwriting in the Queen's books and skip HWT if you wanted to. From what I understand, RS math requires alot from mom. If that is a problem, you may want to look at MathUSee or Singapore. MathUSee is so so easy on the mom.

--Bella, newly 7 (learning with HWT, Queen's Language Lessons, REAL Science Project Life, RS Math Level B, SWO Level A, SOTW Vol. 1, and Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus)

I would switch math to Math Mammoth or CLE, as they are more independent. MUS wasn't easy for us. (sorry)

For SOTW I would choose one project and one read aloud per civilization adn skip the rest.

I am not sure if your Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus is covering independent reading. If it does, great... if not then I would drop it, then you need to choose a reading program so that you don't have to make decisions and library trips. We are loving the Sonlight readers. DD doesn't like all of them, but it is pretty painless.

If your science is a lot of work then switch it to something really simple, like McRuffy, or just something to read and then watch the science DVDs from Sonlight.

I'd focus on

reading

writing

spelling

math

I'd alternate days with SOTW and science library books. These would make a nice read-aloud before bedtime or right after a meal??

I'd probably go with Christian Light Education for language arts (english, handwiring, spelling), assign 30 minutes of reading per day, and then pick a math that was "EASY" for me to teach & understandable by my child.

I'd do (am doing :001_smile: but on 3rd grade level and add in R&Sgrammar 3:)

*CW Primer (covers grammar, narration, spelling/phonics review, copywork, dictation, picture study, nature study, poetry in a very balanced, planned-for-you manner)

*Math Mammoth

**Phonics Pathways if you still need phonics, otherwise,

**independent reading for all history and science (nice living books, borrow some from the library or from your shelf) and either the Heart of Dakota emerging reader books or their DITHOR level 2 book pack books for literature (without the program part to it though)

If you have time, add in some projects, crafts, and experiments on the weekends- don't even have to be related to anything else. Have her draw what she learned in history and science from her reading for notebooking each week as a way to do an active narration.

We're doing this for 3rd grade this year and due to one of those "seasons" of life, and it's going wonderfully!! Next year or later after baby 4 comes, we'll use Galloping The Globe at a nice slow pace.

Any ideas are welcome.

(And please, no flames. I'm already facing the fact that if things continue on as they are, we're looking at public school for third grade, so be gentle with me :()

TIA!

Do the three R's and tuck in read alouds when you can on history and science. When you are with the kids and something is said about the "moon shot" as we called it, mention that it was a rocket called Apollo, the year, who the rocket was named after and how short a time ago that was. Move on with life until the next little thing you know something about is mentioned. Chatter. They will listen. Put classical music on and simply mention the name (We love the Vox Music Masters. Kiddo started at 4 and has listened to each at least 20 times). Put readalouds on the turntable. Leave out art books. Chatter. Tuck in info when you are going somewhere etc. And stick to the three R's.

That's what I'd do. :grouphug:

The short version of the backstory is that I'm hoping to quit my (30-hours-per-week) job at the end of the year, but for various reasons, may not be able to (DH needs shoulder surgery, I need dental work--both will erode our Quit-My-Job fund--and DH's job is undergoing some changes). Until I CAN quit, I need to simplify some of the things I'm doing here. I love love love what we're doing now, but if I can simplify anything, it would help me out greatly.

So if you had to cut down to bare bones, how would you do it? Workbooks? Cutting subjects? Keeping readalouds but cutting out projects? Any ideas are welcome.

TIA!

I would do:

WWE (for writing & penmanship)

Math

SOTW (probably just reading with no extra projects)

and assign books for reading

I would re-evaluate at the end of the year, and I would probably go with a program like K12 that is planned out for me and that holds me accountable for finishing if I had to keep working.

I would switch from RS to something more independent like Math Mammoth or something similar. I love RS, but it really is time consuming. I find on days we do MEP instead of RS, math lessons take quite a bit less time.

Keep HWT and just have her work through her workbook, and if Queen's LL doesn't take much time, you should be mostly set for LA. I wouldn't worry about spelling if she's not struggling at this point, or have her work on something like http://www.spellingcity.com.

I would do SOTW as a read-aloud with maybe one or two additional books, or save the activities for the weekends.

Ditto what the others said about dropping formal science. Read lots of good science books and go for nature walks every Saturday or something. If you really want a curriculum, you might have to work it in on the weekends.

If you really want to keep Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus, you might have to work that in on one of your off days, too.

I work at home 40 hours a week with a 2nd grader and a baby. My dd7 is good at working independently, as we have been hs through K. We do:

AO year 2 readings -- She does 1 reading independently daily, and I read 1 out loud.

Rod and Staff Math 2 -- She does 1 lesson independently.

Rod and Staff Reading 2 -- She does 1/2 to 1 lesson independently.

** For reading and math, I only explain new concepts and check at the end.

Handwriting/Spelling -- Copywork from Bible verse, hymn or poetry, which she does independently.

She also practices the piano and does a Spanish lesson fairly independently daily (We have a Spanish tutor and also use La Clase Divertida videos).

This takes her about 2 hours a day. It takes me approximately 45 minutes to an hour, and I can cook lunch, clean the kitchen and entertain the baby while she is doing her lessons.

We do all the extras as we have time, not as often as I would like, but that's the best we can do right now.

Hope you find something that works for you. Take care,

Suzanne

I work full-time outside of the home and homeschool a 2nd grader and 6th grader. We have always worked under these circumstances (5th year homeschooling) so we know no differently and it works well for us. My dds do a lot of independent work at home during the day (my dh is home and is the math teacher for both) and then we do school after dinner together.

My 2nd grader during the daytime is currently doing:

SWO B

ETC 6-8

Reading Basket (I fill the basket with a variety of books at her reading level and she chooses one each day to read)

Singapore 2B

At night we do together:

Song School Latin (3 evenings a week)

FLL (3 evenings a week)

WWE 2 (4 evenings a week)

SOTW (three evenings a week)

Earth Science - combo of R.E.A.L. Science and CKEES (two evenings a week)

We also do read alouds in the evening which often correspond with history or science.

I'd focus on

reading

writing

spelling

math

:iagree:

I struggle with fibromyalgia and constant fatigue, so on days that I'm just not up to much, I make sure they get at least the basics done - they read scriptures aloud together, write in their journals, and do their math, handwriting, reading and spelling. That's my bare-bones version, but I think it covers the important skills areas!

On better days I also do SL Core 2 and SOTW 2, along with science and music and art and all that fun stuff, but at least I don't feel like they're falling behind when I can't do all that.

I'm using Rod and Staff for my 2nd grader, and it is very easy on me. At the same time he is doing solid work. I would suggest going with something all put together (something complete) and then just read to him when you can, or even have him listen to some audio books.

:grouphug: I'm sorry things aren't working out well inorder for you to quit your job.

I would find more efficient ways to use what you already have. Your choices are solid, and buying new stuff so you can have time to work means you're working to buy new stuff. :( For instance, whomever is watching your dc while you work can read them SOTW and have them write their narrations. HWT is independent and just needs to be checked. RS B you can do 3 days a week in 20 minute lessons after dinner and have your caregiver play games with them the rest of the time. I would do the science on Saturday's and drop the Queen's LL.

Honestly, I don't see that you have that much work or that it needs to take so much time. You have a 1st grader by age, which means 2 hours a day, and that INCLUDES ASSIGNED READING. In other words, you could do an hour a day, have her read and write narrations and do independent stuff the other hour, and you've done enough. Don't make this more than it needs to be or guilt-trip yourself. Focus on basic skills (math, LA/narration), and let the rest get filled in with plenty of reading. When the kids read widely and listen to books on cd from the library, it's going to cover the holes in your instruction, honest.

Have you tried the COFA's (Childhood of Famous Americans) with your 7 yo? She might love them. She's at the perfect age to start them...

I'd drop the science curriculum and teach science informally with nature walks and reading books. I'd continue SOTW 1 as a read-aloud and skip the projects. Maybe just do the coloring pages and let her do those while you read to her. Use the Sonlight catalog to find books from that time-period (that would be Core 1 in their catalog) and read-alouds (for bedtime). The reason I suggest the Sonlight catalog is because those titles are usually available in libraries. You wouldn't have to schedule them. Just read a book when you get to it.

I love the Queen LA materials. I don't think you'll find anything easier on you than those. Maybe consider their Spelling curriculum unless Spelling Workout is easy on you. Does she need the HWT? You could just have her do her best handwriting in the Queen's books and skip HWT if you wanted to. From what I understand, RS math requires alot from mom. If that is a problem, you may want to look at MathUSee or Singapore. MathUSee is so so easy on the mom.

I:iagree: I was going to write pretty much what Donna wrote about Spelling, Science & Handwriting and agree with her other suggestions. Also I am not sure how your schedule is set up, but I would do History only 3 days a week and science the other two instead of both every day. :D