Menu

WWYD? DD12 more insistive about coming home from ps but...

we simply do not have the money to spend on more curriculum! My plan was to pull her out at Christmas break. And I will probably stick to that. However, she is becoming more and more insistant...crying spells, begging me to bring her home, saying she can't handle the stress, hates her classes b/c they are too easy (which they are), has trouble getting up at 6am and walking to the bus stop when it is still dark (I can't drive her b/c of my little ones home still sleeping), yada, yada, yada. I'm all for her coming home, but what do you do when you can't afford more curriculum? This is what I have for her:

Saxon Alg. 1

Tell Me More Spanish

LLATL Green book from last year that she could finish until I can afford to get her Gray book

CKE Earth and Space which is geared more for the 3-6 range, but I could easily adapt for her until I could get Apologia General.

The Phonics of Drawing

My needs:

Writing (I'd love Jump In!)

History (Looking at MFW 1850-Moderns w/ the 2nd/3rd grade supplement)

Latin (would LOVE the Latin Road to English Grammar b/c we'll need it for ds8 soon anyway...or some other Latin program?)

Music (composer study? piano lessons? voice lessons?)

I've decided against LL8 b/c she didn't care for LL7 last year and I think the book studies in LLATL will suffice. Perhaps we can use LL next year.

Any suggestions on how to work this out, would be greatly appreciated. I could borrow money from my folks, but hate to do that. MFW would be the biggest expense...even purchased used if I could find it. Help? WWYD?

Well,

I'm not very good at this but here are a few ideas...

You could have your dd use copywork, dictation (is that already in LLATL? I can't remember) and written narrations for writing for now. Also, you could choose a couple of good novels and download some of the free guides and use this for some writing assignments. Also, check your library for something there.

You could try Latin Book One which is free through a Yahoo group. I actually like the book and may consider using it for my younger dd.

You could put together your own history program or use the free Los Banos Am. History program ( ? spelling) that has been mentioned here before. Home School Share has a lot of free units with American history books and they are adding some designed for older students.

Music could be put together using the library and the internet for free too.

HTH a little:001_smile:

If you can afford printing costs:

Latin Book One - all free @ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Latinbk1/ The lessons, answers, and audio files are all posted in the files section of the yahoo group site.

History - The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia is very inexpensive, and your library might even have it or something similar. You could do history as suggested in TWTM by having her read and outline or summarize 2-3 sections per week. You can supplement with library books if you have a good library.

Writing - I think this book looks really good - Manual of Composition and Rhetoric http://books.google.com/books?id=z8ABAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA3&dq=composition&lr=&as_brr=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false If you go to books.google.com and do a search using writing or composition, you will find tons of old textbooks that you can download.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking into the Latin One book right now. As for the Our Los Banos...I have the one for American Hist. 1 for ds8 right now. Had planned to start next week. I like the looks of it. For dd12, she'd use amer. Hist. 2. It looks good, but I'm just not sure. We've used Hakim's books before, but she is very liberally slanted. I really wanted something with a more Christian slant. KWIM? I'm still looking around and praying that God will show me what to do. I'm also wondering if I can successfully teach Amer. Hist. 1 and Amer. Hist. 2! HAH!

You think your child can't learn without you spending money you do not have on curric?

I so disagree with this belief and it would take more control than I feel at the moment to 'go there'.

WWID? I'd pull her in a heartbeat and let her loose in the library.

Laurie, I DO think she can learn without spending money we don't have. I really, really DO, but I'm just scared! Letting her loose in the library just doesn't seem "structured" enough. I'm not confidant enough to piece together an 8th graders curriculum. Elem. ages? Sure. No problemo. 8th grade? I'm too afraid she will miss something important. Yes, I know there will be holes no matter what. But, with History...I'd just like having a schedule or a book to make me feel better. I'm a whimp...okay.

I would pull her now, and ask her to work with you on a plan that meets all her needs and prepares her for her future goals using...

(1) the curricula you have

(2) free resources - internet, library, etc. Search open courseware along with the specific topic you're looking for. Check out the American History options here: http://www.ucopenaccess.org/

(3) she might be able to earn money for any extras she wants beyond the above items by babysitting, either for money or in exchange for tutoring or whatever. For example, if piano lessons were part of her goal, maybe she could barter lessons in exchange for light housework or assisting the teacher in some other way.

(4) some school districts allow part time classes at the public school.

(5) depending on her goals, it's not too early to seek out some kind of informal apprenticeship type program.. like if she loves animals, she could volunteer a few hours with a vet and learn a lot that way -- perhaps much more than a book. And if the vet shared her library with your dd, that would expand her options as well!

Pull her now, use what you have. Fill her days with reading and doing a research project. If you need to do some catch up, do it over the summer.

If she is bored at school, then what do you have to loose? Do you have any friends who may have a few pieces to loan you?

If cost is a factor, I wouldn't even be looking at stuff like My Father's World. WTM has a list of topics to cover for each year of the history cycle; even if you had to buy it new, you would be spending far less by using that and the library.

You could spend more time on the subjects you do own now, and shift focus in the spring.

Most libraries have a good amount of writing books, from how to write paragraphs to how to write research papers. That could work for a while.

I can relate to her fear of walking to the bus stop in the dark; I had to do the same in middle school, and because I went out of district, there were no other kids at the stop. It was too early for people to be heading to work, and the street was utterly empty and dark. My mom was able to walk with me, and I was still scared.

If the plan is to pull her out anyway, I would not hesitate to pull her out now. Unless she's constantly overly dramatic, I'd be concerned about a child crying and begging to come home. Perhaps you can make it clear to her that she will have to be in-charge of planning out some subjects? Why not use her current schoolbooks as a rough guide?

I think I would just go ahead and bring her home now and make due with what you have plus free resources from the internet and the library for the time being. You won't be harming her by doing that, and since her classes are too easy for her, she won't be falling behind.

:iagree: I think what you have onhand already will be fine. For history, why not just use the Well Trained Mind's history guidelines? At least in the original edition of the book, it was really just a list of history books to read and events to cover. It would be doable using just the library, and would be a great grounding in the subjects. Was dd doing Latin when she was in school? If not, then I wouldn't worry about adding it in as soon as she comes home. I liked the other poster's idea of assigning a research project in lieu of writing for the moment. You can also assign writing assignments to go along with history, science, literature, etc. Just remember, the basics are reading, writing, and math, and you have what you need for all three already. Don't stress about the extras-- homeschooling doesn't have to be what we consider *perfect* in our minds. I would focus on the basics for now, and add more when you can.

Well, dd woke up this morning and said she was "okay to go to school b/c she had a test in social studies and didn't want to miss it". So responsible, my dd (at least when it comes to this stuff :tongue_smilie:). Tomorrow, I said she could stay home and it will give dh and I a chance to talk over some finances and some options. Thanks for all the suggestions. A few things: I would follow WTM, but I do want something Christian. And, dd loves activities and projects and I am just not sure I can plan all that by myself. I'm looking into lapbooks at homeschoolshare.com. My second dilemna is that ds8 is now just starting to study Amer. Hist. 1 (Native Americans through 1850). They don't HAVE to be on the "same page" and perhaps it is best if she has her own stuff to do apart from the little ones. I just don't know. Must get rid of my perfectionist tendencies. Dd can be dramatic. Her crying has more to do with being tired, not liking to get up early, being scared walking to the bus in the dark, being overloaded with projects and hw, etc. But, I do want to pull her out anyway so why not sooner than later. I'm also going to send a letter to book samaritan for the remainder of what I need. Thanks!

There are a lot of good suggestions here already. I would add that if there is a subject you really aren't ready to tackle without a curriculum, you could double up on something else for now, then add in the dropped subject when you have had a chance to pull together materials or find a good price on a curriculum you like. For instance, you could spend extra time on science now since you have it on hand, then spend extra time on history in the spring.

we simply do not have the money to spend on more curriculum! My plan was to pull her out at Christmas break. And I will probably stick to that. However, she is becoming more and more insistant...crying spells, begging me to bring her home, saying she can't handle the stress, hates her classes b/c they are too easy (which they are), has trouble getting up at 6am and walking to the bus stop when it is still dark (I can't drive her b/c of my little ones home still sleeping), yada, yada, yada. I'm all for her coming home, but what do you do when you can't afford more curriculum? This is what I have for her:

Saxon Alg. 1

Tell Me More Spanish

LLATL Green book from last year that she could finish until I can afford to get her Gray book

CKE Earth and Space which is geared more for the 3-6 range, but I could easily adapt for her until I could get Apologia General.

The Phonics of Drawing

My needs:

Latin (would LOVE the Latin Road to English Grammar b/c we'll need it for ds8 soon anyway...or some other Latin program?)

I've decided against LL8 b/c she didn't care for LL7 last year and I think the book studies in LLATL will suffice. Perhaps we can use LL next year.

Any suggestions on how to work this out, would be greatly appreciated. I could borrow money from my folks, but hate to do that. MFW would be the biggest expense...even purchased used if I could find it. Help? WWYD?

If school is too easy for her, why not let her come home and unschool for awhile? Let her get books from the library on things she wants to learn. You could use MEP for math- it's free and everyone raves about it. You can add in the other things as you get the funds, or just wait until January to start them, like you planned.

Laurie, I DO think she can learn without spending money we don't have. I really, really DO, but I'm just scared! Letting her loose in the library just doesn't seem "structured" enough. I'm not confidant enough to piece together an 8th graders curriculum. Elem. ages? Sure. No problemo. 8th grade? I'm too afraid she will miss something important. Yes, I know there will be holes no matter what. But, with History...I'd just like having a schedule or a book to make me feel better. I'm a whimp...okay.

8th grade is the last year of middle school, when many students are just thinking about getting out of there. I wouldn't worry about holes as much as I would if she were in high school. Whatever she doesn't get, she'll likely have again in high school. Just make sure she's solidly ready in math and writing and she'll be fine.

You could pick up the BJU 8th grade history book for american history on her level. Then the american 1 that you are using with your younger one would just add on to that. They are usually available cheaply on Amazon. I've seen them on paperback swap as well. You could use the section questions orally or have her write them out.

The CKE book that we used had an additional reading list in the back. You could use that to go deeper with the science.

Math and LA are the ABSOLUTE musts, and you have them covered. I would go ahead and pull her. :D

Jennifer

I would never advocate a long-term *plan* for going w/out curric. I figure if someone can do that well, they'd *want* to, lol.

But short-term? Sue, this isn't a problem. When I was a sophomore in highschool, the private school I was attending had a huge split. Well, this happened the summer between 9th & 10th g. I was the only kid left in my g level, so they were going to order paces for me to do (from ACE) on my own. They ordered some of them but not others (English). Someone in the upper levels of the school wasn't happy that I was a yr ahead, so this wasn't an accident.

As we waited for my curric, my mom tried to put something together herself for me. She told me to read Great Expectations, pick some vocab words, talk to her about it, etc. Technically, this was a disaster--I was already into English enough that everybody knew I was going to be a Lit major in college, & Mom? Not so much.

BUT she was a single working mom. When she finally realized the sch wasn't going to order stuff for me, she brought me home, & I ordered everything myself, did the material myself, & called my youth pastor's wife to see if I could go help her w/ her kids on days that I had a test. So she could proctor.

I would have exchanged curric for my mom any day of the week. The fact that you're there is more valuable than any curric you can buy. History is what scares you? Oh, Sue! Just let her READ! You can help her pick good books, from internet or WTM lists, or you can just let her pick people & topics she's interested in. It might not be as orderly as WTM, but it's FAR better than anything I got in ps!

Your dd is old enough to write her own plan for school. She's old enough to get books & make up her own assignments, as far as projects & reports. You look at her "plan" & approve it or recommend changes. She'll grow more than if you'd had the $ for curric. In fact, this is almost exactly what they do in the International Baccleaureate program & some advanced Gifted & Talented programs.

Bring that girl home!

The thing is getting her out of there. Think about curric later. Do what you can with what you have and let her decompress. I like the letting her deschool for a bit. Sometimes (most times?) the library and a loving parent is all we need. Good luck! And enjoy each other and this time. :) 8th grade is still a young child. The rest will come.

For history what about picking one thing and doing a unit study till after the holidays when you can afford the curriculum. Since you are looking at American history too then how about studying the civil war? There is a free civil war lapbook at homeschoolshare that she could do on her own as she goes along. Have her read a couple of good books, maybe "Across 5 Aprils", "Rifles for Watie", "Turn Homeward Hannalee", "Red Badge of Courage", "Uncle Tom's Cabin", something on Harriet Tubman or the underground railroad, maybe the "Lincoln photobiography" book, and even "Brerr Rabbit". You could have her read that section for History of US or another text. Maybe find a couple recipes to have her make, or even a project like making a diorama of a battle, or even a sewing project.

For history what about picking one thing and doing a unit study till after the holidays when you can afford the curriculum. Since you are looking at American history too then how about studying the civil war? There is a free civil war lapbook at homeschoolshare that she could do on her own as she goes along. Have her read a couple of good books, maybe "Across 5 Aprils", "Rifles for Watie", "Turn Homeward Hannalee", "Red Badge of Courage", "Uncle Tom's Cabin", something on Harriet Tubman or the underground railroad, maybe the "Lincoln photobiography" book, and even "Brerr Rabbit". You could have her read that section for History of US or another text. Maybe find a couple recipes to have her make, or even a project like making a diorama of a battle, or even a sewing project.

My teen did a great independant study on the American Civil War without a single textbook. There is so much information and such good literature. We actually prefer learning this way. The PBS series alone on Lincoln are worth their weight in gold. Even my 9 yr old (at the time) loved them.

As always ladies, I knew I could count on you all to help set my mind at ease and suggest great ideas! I'd give you all a great big hug if I were closer but for now...:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I get so "stuck" in my perfectionism that I lose sight of the actual learning that can take place w/out learning it "all in order". I think starting at the Civil War is GREAT! I will check out the lapbook on homseschoolshare and the books everyone suggested and make my own history program until I can find the money for something I really want (like MFW...b/c it includes everything like bible and music and art, etc.). Thank you, thank you...I'm off to prepare my plan of attack! :D

My needs:

:grouphug: Tell your perfectionist tendencies to :chillpill:

Since you were already planning to take her out over Christmas break, I assume you'll have a little $ to spend on curriculum for January? And how does your dh feel about this?

Some ideas:

For writing, she could do NaNoWriMo -- write a novel in the month of November. No, it isn't a curriculum (although they do have some workbook-type sheets for character & plot development), but it is writing and will ease your mind until you are able to purchase something in January! The website http://ywp.nanowrimo.org /

For history you've been given lots of ideas...I think just reading library books would be fine for now!

Have you done Latin in the past? If yes, do review! Maybe along the lines of the Dowling Method (way at the bottom, under "Stage 2: Memorizing the forms"). And if you haven't...then just wait until January.

Music...if she already plays piano, practice! And for composers, pick one & have her read a bio or 2 and listen to the music! One for November & one for December. There are a multitude of free sites.

You can do it! And remember :nopity: for perfectionist tendencies!

I haven't read every post but Ambleside online is a rigorous, advanced curriculum. Most of the books are available online, and the very few that are not are at the library.

The site is hard to navigate but there are yahoo groups with schedules etc. This may be what you need to hold your hand until you feel more confident planning your own thing.

There is also a whole thread of free online curriculum here on WTM. Be reassured there are many of us homeschooling without buying curriculum.

Willow.