Menu

Overwhelmed Homeschooling soon-to-be Newbie

shari99

Hello!

I have decided to home school!

My daughter is currently in 2nd grade. I am planning to pull her out at Semester break, and am trying to get organized and figure out how we are going to do this! She has little brothers 4 and 2.

There are so many resources it is overwhelming. Browsing this board is even overwhelming. But I want to know what real people think!

I would like a curriculum with a Christian World view. Funds are tight... but this is important.

I have been reading the Big Book of Home Learning and browsing on line to try to get a feel of what is the best way to go with kids this young.

My 7 yr old daughter is not gung ho about the switch-- but the thought of learning cursive now is an incentive!

Any thoughts for a first timer, who is trying to conquer her own clutter/disorganization.

Thanks!

Shari

I highly recommend Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks. She has you determine your child's learning style and your family's educational style, and only then does she rank curricula for you--based on those factors. It really helps narrow the field for you and make things way less confusing.

Welcome to homeschooling! These boards are a great support, no matter what kind of curriculum you choose.

Have you read the Well-Trained Mind? It would help to get you started. When I read it, I had this feeling of "I CAN do this!" It helped me alot to have a guide for choosing curriculum. I totally agree - curriculum choices are overwhelming, and I've been curriculum shopping for 2 years!

ACE (www.schooloftomorrow.com) is a great company that offers a full program. They are not classical, but you could add in some good classical read-alouds. It might be a good way to get you used to homeschooling for the rest of this year, and give you a chance to read up on what specific types of homeschooling there are, and what fits your style. ACE is very inexpensive compared to other programs out there. It is workbook style, not teacher intensive.

Sonlight (www.sonlight.com) is literature based, more teacher intensive, and quite a bit more expensive (you're buying alot of books) but they also have a payment plan option, if you really like the looks of the program.

Here is a thread I saved a while back about free online curriculum. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84949

And here is a website to visit for an overview of homeschooling styles:

http://www.homeschool.com/Approaches/

Another terrific book I've read is Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell. I also really like reading books and about Charlotte Mason. Wander the homeschool section of your library, you're sure to find a few books to devour!:001_smile:

I hope I have not overwhelmed you more! Good luck on your journey! And check back often - this is a terrific forum. :lol:

I highly recommend Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks. She has you determine your child's learning style and your family's educational style, and only then does she rank curricula for you--based on those factors. It really helps narrow the field for you and make things way less confusing.

Welcome to homeschooling! These boards are a great support, no matter what kind of curriculum you choose.

:iagree: That book helped me SO much when it came to choosing curriculum. The web site is more extensive than the book and is also greatly helpful. It will help you no matter what style of homeschooling you're aiming for (and may help you determine what your style and your child's style are). Enjoy your time with your daughter!!!

Thanks everyone for a all the food for thought! Great suggestions... I ordered Cathy Duffy's Top 100 last night. My local small town library has nary a home school book! I am hoping to make it to the OKC library soon to check out The Well-Trained Mind. I have also been benefitting from other post like the 2nd grade grammar question. I already love this board. =)

I love the link to free stuff too! If I don't pick a main curriculum I might try sheldon for grammar and do some handwriting without tears, backyard science....and ??? Math for the second half of this year. =).

Thanks again! Feel free to keep it coming! :001_smile:

I would second everyone else's advice and also add - sometimes for a first year homeschooler, esp. with a younger child, I'd say buy a boxed curriculum to get you started. Then, as you gain experience you may want to get a little more eclectic. A Beka is a relatively inexpensive boxed curriculum that has a very traditional and Christian approach, but I think it may be a good start. We use A Beka math & phonics with our first grade boys and it's going well.

I would plan on doing only the basics. I would have her reading aloud to you, a spelling program that includes basic phonics review, math, and copywork. If she is interested in nature studies, a nature study and a nature notebook might be something to include.

I would concentrate ona a smooth transition, de-institutionalizing (that can take a while), and figuring out how you want to make it work within your family.

(FWIW.....those are the only subjects I do in 2nd grade anyway! She won't be missing out on anything. Give yourself the permission to take this yr one step at a time and add in more in 3rd grade when you have a better feel for homeschooling and she is used to being home.)

Congratulations on your decision!

Cathy Duffy's "Top 100" is an excellent place to start and the other ladies have mentioned some great options as far as curriculum.

I just wanted to mention a couple more options:

Christian Light Education

and

Christian Liberty Press (some of their publications can be found at CBD.com for even less)

They are both very affordable and from a Christian worldview. We use some of both in our homeschool.

I hope you'll find plenty of encouragement and support here. :)

:glare: For the first two months, you are not going to be going at full-speed. If you just come to terms with that now, it's going to be a lot easier for you guys to transition... Our first day of homeschooling, my 6 yro threw himself on the floor, screamed, ran to his room and slammed his door. And it was all because I asked him to write a sentence.

Do most of your schoolwork while the 2 yro takes a nap - that's what we do.

At first, our kids were also constantly asking why we don't "do centers" and other mandatory playtime stuff. Your daughter's not going to understand why there isn't busywork activities and other large-group-management stuff.

If you're on a budget and you like the spiral method, you could look at CLE (Christian Light Education). We're using the language arts and reading. They're pretty advanced and I'm convinced the 2nd grader will have a PhD in English by time we're finished with the last Lightunit.

So, we use Sonlight Core 1 (for social studies and read-alouds), Sonlight Readers (1st graders reads Readers 2 and 2nd grader Readers 2 Int/Adv), CLE LA (for both), BJU Spelling (for both), Singapore 2A Math (2nd grader), Horizons Math 1st grade, HWOT (awesome handwriting program), Apologia's Flying Creatures (for science, but my kids are extremely sciencey)... I also have some Abeka 4K workbooks for the 4 yro and those seem pretty nice so far.

I've heard good stuff about Explode the Code, MathUSee, Winterpromise, Hearts of Dakota (but I can't decipher their website..:glare:) and we really like CLE (cheap and simple). Sonlight can be daunting, but I think my kids are crammed with information right now (we just did a unit on Pompeii - complete with model volcanoes). I love Horizons for the boy and Singapore is great, but takes getting used to (it's not the way "we" learned math).

Good Luck!! You're gonna do great! :)

Hello and welcome to the journey.

If you can try to relax and only do the 3 R's (Reading, Writing and Math) which is mostly spelling, writing/copywork, read alouds and narration, plus math, and leave the rest to more of Charlotte Mason style (nature walks & studies), etc, and focus on the relational part of this wonderful journey with your family this first year, you may find it easier all the way around to begin adding bits and pieces of all the "extras" (especially since she is still so young and will naturally learn in ways you have yet to discover) next year.

I removed my oldest son from ps before he entered 3rd grade (he is 23 yo now) and b/c he had LDs we moved more slowly anyway, but I wish I had relaxed more and just enjoyed having him and his 2 brothers home and snuggled more with read alouds. The time passes way too quickly.

Blessings!

I would definately just stick with the basics for the first semester.

Do phonics, reading practice, and handwriting with your 6 year old. Do math if you have time, but if you do no math with your 6 year old for the semester, no big deal.

Now, for your second grader, I would choose the following subjects: Spelling, Grammar, Math, and have her read aloud to you from books you get from the library. The only other thing I would do is read aloud to your kids cuddled on the couch every day. That's it.

Don't let your child discourage you when she has a bad attitude or is uncooperative. Just be firm, discipline when necessary, and keep plodding along.

Blessings!

Congrats! When thinking back to my big leap into homeschooling there is 1 thing I wish someone had told me. If you feel more comfortable right now using a boxed curriculum then by all means get your feet wet with something your at ease with however, later when you have both had time to adjust... take the time to really diagnose your dd's learning style and structure her curriculum to that style of learning. IMO you will save yourself lots of money and time if you do this. Keep in mind however that someone's learning styles can change as they get older so a re-assessment over each summer might be a good idea.

Oh, and before you buy any curriculum read as many REAL reviews as you can about it. Not just the reviews and testimonials on the product websites. I don't purchase anything without doing a search of the curriculum on this forum and on the homeschoolreview.com review site. There have been several times that I was about to purchase a curriculum and then read something someone said about it that would make me change my mind. Usually they were praising the product but would mention for example that it only took them 30 minutes a day to prepare the lesson and I would say "uh, no that's not for me...I only want to spend 30 seconds preparing the lesson" KWIM.

So good luck and remember to have fun!

Aime

Hello and welcome to the journey.

If you can try to relax and only do the 3 R's (Reading, Writing and Math) which is mostly spelling, writing/copywork, read alouds and narration, plus math, and leave the rest to more of Charlotte Mason style (nature walks & studies), etc, and focus on the relational part of this wonderful journey with your family this first year, you may find it easier all the way around to begin adding bits and pieces of all the "extras" (especially since she is still so young and will naturally learn in ways you have yet to discover) next year.

I removed my oldest son from ps before he entered 3rd grade (he is 23 yo now) and b/c he had LDs we moved more slowly anyway, but I wish I had relaxed more and just enjoyed having him and his 2 brothers home and snuggled more with read alouds. The time passes way too quickly.

Blessings!

I second this.

We started in January with a phonics program and BOB books (for reading) and then added handwriting, then math, then SOTW, etc. until we were up to full speed. You might even get a head start now by doing afterschooling and starting a subject or two. I think dipping your toes in one thing at a time is much easier than diving in all at once.

Good luck!

I highly recommend Ruth Beechick's books for K-3. Great to read even if you don't completely use her methods. Makes school very fun and yet effective-- might even say rigorous since you can go at your child's pace... and you will be the best to know when you can keep digging deeper in a concept.

Also, an easy to follow curriclum that will have all your subjects covered and be a great transition to homeschooling is Heart of Dakota. You would likely find either Beyond Little Hearts or Bigger Hearts to be the right fit for your dd.

It is VERY much teaching a Christian worldview and my kids LOVED it. Very easy to implement and affordable. You can leave off the literature program (Drawn Into The Heart of Reading) now if you weren't ready to add that in. Most of the read alouds you'll find at the library. It uses some of the top books, from top curriculum companies, and pulls them together and plans them out for you-- and ties them all into the Bible.

http://www.heartofdakota.com

I agree with lots of advice you've already gotten so I won't repeat it. The Cathy Duffy 100 Top Curriculum picks was a HUGE help for me. So was the Rainbow Resource catalog because it has really good reviews/descriptions (I think I've read most of it!!).

A money saving tip I wish I'd known - you can find used curriculum esp. from folks like Abeka, BJU (an many others) etc. on Ebay and probably other places too (this board has a for sale forum). For example, I could have saved myself ALOT of money by buying just the BJU teachers guides and readers on Ebay, and then the workbooks new from CBD. I had no idea!!!! Another source for used is Exodus Books (you can find them with Google).

We just started this year. I had read TWTM previously and agreed with the ideas so we made it easy and went with their products for the basics; FFL, WWE, SOTW. We adopted Singapore Math because that's what he was using in ps and we wanted to keep something the same for him (and it turns out I like it). We are now adding Spelling Power. He is active in a local hs group and participates in a science club, chess club and others.

We started slowly and I think that was smart. It is a change, for both parent and student, and I would allow a couple months to adapt. Take that time to check the basics and fill in any gaps you find. There is plenty of time, so much it never seems like we're doing enough since we can concentrate on each subject an move along.

Jim

Hi! I wish I had more time to write a longer post ...

Here are some of my thoughts ...

First off ~ my kids are the same ages as yours!!!

My library is dinky, too ... When I was researching, I ordered several books through inter-library loan. My library actually ended up buying a couple to stock their shelves!! ;)

I can't live without my copy of TWTM ~ totally worth having your own. I've adopted their model, but sometimes fill it in with other curriculum choices that I've learned about here! ;)

A good friend of mine LOVES My Father's World. I know many who like Sonlight, too!

Feel free to visit my blog. I've linked all our curricula on the sidebar (way down). I also try and post about school each week with pictures. You can click on the label "Week in Review."

Welcome to the journey of a lifetime!!! ;)

Cathy Duffy's book will help you alot. After you read it, then you can kind of decide: Do I want a box curriculum? (everything just like at a public/christian school), do I want to go for a 'Charlotte Mason' approach, or classical (if so, this is when you should read Well Trained mind), or would I feel most comfortable doing unschooling or a mix of all of the above? For the rest of this year you will be adjusting to having your child at home, so if you just do the 3 R's, that's fine. It's also fine to wait until next year to try to figure out what "approach" works best for your family. I was "sure" I knew what would work best for us...and unfortuately it didn't, so we had to change things around and experiment with new curriculum. Best of luck! Homeschooling is wonderful! :grouphug:

Christian Light Education

I Love it. My life is soooooo much easier now that I use this curriculum. You can purchase the entire years materials or purchase enough to get you started then buy the rest as needed. Nice teachers manuals with Light Units(workbooks) keep you on the right track. I have used tons of curriculum (Konos, Sonlight, Five in a Row, Saxon Math, Right Start Math, Math U See, Math Mammoth, Beautifu feet, Explode the code and Abeka-just to name a few) and this one covers all subjects that I want in our school everyday. I would suggest something like this or

Rod and Staff

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Rod_and_Staff_Curriculum/

Both of these are inexpensive and should have your homeschool up and running in no time. You will then have time to go over cathy duffy's top pics and take your time sifting through all of the many choices.

Hope this helps,

Penny

If you are close to OKC then you should have access to several homeschool groups. Maybe you could go ahead and join one now. I have found that they are super nice and always happy to talk curriculum with a newbie. We are in Oklahoma also. We are so lucky that it is super easy to homeschool here.

Thanks so much for all the input! I have been reading a lot and FINALLY my 10 top picks book arrived! To my dismay MFW is not in there, and that is the one I have begun leaning toward.

Basically I like the idea of reading real books and historical novels. I think I may have romanticized this whole homeschooling thing! I like to picture myself curled up reading with my little girl and wildmen, peaceful and attentive... or maybe coloring on the coffee table. =)

I am having trouble pinpointing my kids learning styles... they all seem awfully wiggly. My daughter (7) loves to do projects (she is always cutting and taping and gluing) and my 4year old likes to do puzzles and wants to finish them, but doesn't last long on pre-k work sheets.

I am trying to decide if I should go ahead and pull her out of school now and just start trying some things: sheldon's primary language lessons, the last 20 days of abeka's first grade math someone gave me (it's ahead of anything she did so far and maybe a spelling/phonics workbook ) math to see how it goes before I settle on what to purchase, and some library selections and a read aloud. I purchases a purposeful design spelling, and our nation under God at Mardel but haven't decided to keep them. If I go with Adventures in MFW, there is no reason to keep the history book.

Is it better to wait and have a curriculum in place so I appear to know what I am doing? hahaha

I am so torn! I am eager to get at it, afraid to fail (the clutter I wanted to conquer before I started is already reappearing).

I am not an organized person. I am bright but I can be scatterbrained. Will MFW be too much for me? Can I take it slow and plan to use it across 2nd and 3rd grade since I am starting mid year? And I am afraid she is behind on math and Language Arts anyway. I could throw in Oklahoma History too.

100 Top Picks did make it sound like MFW is the type of curriculum I am looking for --I scored sort of evenly across unit studies, Charlotte Mason, eclectic with classical right behind.

I picked up the The Well Trained Mind at the library today too!

I really appreciate all the help I have gotten from this forum on working through all this! You are terrific!

I would appreciate any input-- I think I asked a zillion questions....have I mentioned I am prone to exaggeration?

Thanks again! Goodnight!

First, really you will be okay. It is very wise to try things like the books you already have and library books before you invest in something big. There is no reason to spend a lot of money before you get some feel for being the teacher. There is also no reason why you can't cuddle and read. It is an awesome thing to do. There is no way that you can convince me that a preschool workbook is more important than a puzzle.

What happens to many new homeschoolers is they simply burn out really fast or become disillusioned and then feel like failures. Take it slow and focus on one or two subjects at first and let yourself be successful and then build from that success. Enjoy learning how your kids learn. Enjoy playing with your kids. Figure out how to get all of your mom stuff done with the kids at home. Take them for walks. Do art projects with htem. It will be wonderful. Just take it slowly. Build from your successes and create the kind of learning environment that you want your kids to be in.

I've looked at some of the MFW teacher's guides (a friend uses them). I definitely think you could go through it slowly, turning a 1-year program into a 1.5 or 2 year program, while you focus on catching up on math or other subjects - and getting into a working schedule and your new teaching role as well. :001_smile:

For your preschooler, I would just spend maybe 15 minutes a day at the table doing some phonics, pre-writing and pre-math skills, etc. and above that having him listen in on read-alouds and participating in a craft or activity here and there with your 7yo should be plenty, unless he is wanting to do more.

If your 2yo is still napping I would definitely schedule the most important subjects during naptime. :D

I like being prepared so I would want to have everything ready before I brought her home, but that's just me. Reading WTM boosted my confidence in being able to homeschool, it gave me both a big picture overview and the little necessary details and helped me understand exactly what I need to get into our days and how to schedule it. Hopefully after you've looked through it you will feel like you have more of a game plan.

If you don't want to jump in full force, you could just start with basic subjects (math, writing, reading) and then add something new every couple weeks until you have built up to a full schedule.

There is so much information on these boards, it is overwhelming at first. But soon you will be caught up with all of the different curriculum choices and homeschooling lingo and it will all be second nature. :D

I hope you have a great year!

:glare: For the first two months, you are not going to be going at full-speed. If you just come to terms with that now, it's going to be a lot easier for you guys to transition... Our first day of homeschooling, my 6 yro threw himself on the floor, screamed, ran to his room and slammed his door. And it was all because I asked him to write a sentence.

Do most of your schoolwork while the 2 yro takes a nap - that's what we do.

At first, our kids were also constantly asking why we don't "do centers" and other mandatory playtime stuff. Your daughter's not going to understand why there isn't busywork activities and other large-group-management stuff.

:iagree:This is right on the mark, only I want to add that you will likely feel like you are gaining very little ground for the first year.

If I had to pick one place to get a Christian curriculum across the board, I would go with BJU. I have heard great things about Math, English, History and Science. If I were to go with a boxed curriculum personally, I would go with McRuffy and Core Knowlege.

You could certainly take MFW Adv slower. And if you like MFW, you should really look and compare with Heart of Dakota. They are very similar, but HOD has everything scheduled for you in the guide with objectives/key points listed to help you tie it all in and MFW has blank boxes labeled as math, spelling, etc. to remind you to do them. Depends on how much guidance you want...they even use some of the same books. Both also are Charlotte Mason/Classical/Christian.

You could do a half pace schedule with HOD or do it 3-4 days per week to spread it out a bit. You could also include your younger in on much of it. There's much info on the HOD forums explaining how people schedule it to stretch it out, or to transition into it more smoothly.

Have fun on this journey! It will be a lot of trials and a lot of fun! But, it's all worth it :001_smile:

I think someone else mentioned Charlotte Mason. I second the suggestion. I am definitely a CM fan, but it would also be a gentle transition to hsing. There are several free online curriculums, so you could just follow one and get the books yourself or use the library.

http://www.amblesideonline.org

http://www.simplycharlottemason.com

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com

http://www.higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com

Hth, and like others have said, be gentle on yourself this year.

Woolybear