Menu

Fun "Science" Experiments For Young Ones?

Spy Car

My 5 year-old son has become highly interested in "science experiments" lately. But I'm running out of (safe) ideas, and you can only do vinegar and baking-soda, and things with dyes so many time before the luster wears off.

So is there a good resource for finding safe experiments for a young "mad-scientist"?

No links to personal hot-air balloon building please :D

Bill (who knows this hive is sitting on some great ideas)

We have lots of science experiment books we have picked up through the years, but the one we have used the most is called 365 Simple Science Experiments. We have definitely gotten our money's worth out of that one.

I'm in luck as our local branch library has that one on the shelf (but not for long ;)).

Thank you for the suggestion.

Was there a favorite experiment, of favorite experiments you'd care to share?

Bill

We have lots of science experiment books we have picked up through the years, but the one we have used the most is called 365 Simple Science Experiments. We have definitely gotten our money's worth out of that one.

I have a version of that by the same authors called 730 Easy Science Experiments with Everyday Materials. I had some of the first set which had books divided by topics. I just got the 730 title off the clearance rack at Border's.

http://www.amazon.com/730-Easy-Science-Experiments-Materials/dp/1579126138/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255894181&sr=8-1

Reader's Digest How the Weather Works 100 Ways Parents and Kids Can Share the Secrets of The Atmosphere has loads of simple experiments.

There's a series by Lorenz Press called Learn About (Machines, Trees, The Body, etc) that includes some good simple, experiments along with explanations.

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-About-fascinating-learn-yourself/dp/0754819442/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255894509&sr=1-3

I'm in luck as our local branch library has that one on the shelf (but not for long ;)).

Thank you for the suggestion.

Was there a favorite experiment, of favorite experiments you'd care to share?

Bill

Some of our favorites are #77 (making Asteroids), #81 (making Blue Moon Rocks), #232 (Well, Well, Well), and #70 (Anti-Gravity Magic).

There are more, but these are the ones I remember the kids really enjoying.

Brilliant! Thank you so much.

The "cabbage indicator" will be our next project. I love pickled red cabbage, and I know my son will like this experiment. It's a win-win :D

Bill

I didn't read this particular one, but is it one with cabbage water as the indicator, or where you use strips of white coffee filter paper to make indiactors?

When my dc were younger, we did the first one. What was fun was not only getting the colours, but then reversing them and getting them back to the first colour and beyond (so the initial base one ended up becoming acid, etc--but be careful which acids and bases you use, of course; no sense in poisoning yourselves with chorine bleach & ammonia!)

The other one was tricky, and in order to get some real colour in the coffee filter strips, I found it best to dry them for a while, then redip into the cabbage water. It took several times, not just twice. That one I learned in RS4K (Chem is the best of their programs, and Chem 2 has them making up their own experiments, which is a lot of fun.)

Baking is a great outlet for mad scientists; some of the greatest break bakers are part mad scientist (no lie; I read it in a book by an expert, so it must be true ;)). But, serously, baking is all about chemistry, unlike cooking.

A fun book is Fizz, Bubble & Flash!

Edited by Karin

I highly recommend Janice Vancleave’s books for the young scientist crowd. Play and Find Out about are a little on the light side, but some of them are very interesting for little kids. There are also many experiments in her books for older kids that you could pick and choose from….check out your library.

I didn't read this particular one, but is it one with cabbage water as the indicator, or where you use strips of white coffee filter paper to make indiactors?

When my dc were younger, we did the first one. What was fun was not only getting the colours, but then reversing them and getting them back to the first colour and beyond (so the initial base one ended up becoming acid, etc--but be careful which acids and bases you use, of course; no sense in poisoning yourselves with chorine bleach & ammonia!)

It was the first, where you use "cabbage juice". They suggest (rather than the trouble of making your own) simply using the juice from a jar of pickled red cabbage and eating the rest.

Thanks for the warning about not mixing chorine bleach & ammonia. I know this results in potentially deadly chlorine gas, so it's good to have this information out there.

The other one was tricky, and in order to get some real colour in the coffee filter strips, I found it best to dry them for a while, then redip into the cabbage water. It took several times, not just twice. That one I learned in RS4K (Chem is the best of their programs, and Chem 2 has them making up their own experiments, which is a lot of fun.)

Baking is a great outlet for mad scientists; some of the greatest break bakers are part mad scientist (no lie; I read it in a book by an expert, so it must be true ;)). But, serously, baking is all about chemistry, unlike cooking.

A fun book is Fizz, Bubble & Flash!

Thanks for the info Karin.

Bill (a cook, not a baker :tongue_smilie:)

One more fun vinegar experiment we discovered by "accident" was pouring vinegar over a piece of limestone in a dish and then observing it as it evaporates. The vinegar reacts with the calcite which produces the usual fizzy action, but over the next few days, a crystal called Aragonite (sp) will grow out of the rock. It's also called "Popcorn Rock" and easy to read about online if you google that.

Jacqui

There are also an interesting set of books by Vicki Cobb (I Fall Down, I Get Wet, ....) that explain and then have some explanations (in this case, about gravity and water).

Blueberries work too, changing color with pH. Try putting a bar of soap and then vinegar on a blueberry stain. The vinegar will eventually get out the stain. But it will turn different colors. ;)

There are also an interesting set of books by Vicki Cobb (I Fall Down, I Get Wet, ....) that explain and then have some explanations (in this case, about gravity and water).

Explain and have some explanations? That description does NOT warrant a "thank you." The books are better written than that. I promise.

"Let's Try it Out..." books by Seymour Simon (w/ other people) are nice too. We liked the bridges one; there are experiments inside the text (as with the Vicki Cobb books) so you build up / test things as you read. In the bridges one you end up understanding the rationale behind corrugated cardboard in packing. Unfortunately they (the Simon ones) are OOP, but you may be able to find at the library.

The reason I'm mentioning these is that they are more physics and less chemistry, so you might find the variety useful.

At this age, I like to provide my children the tools necessary for exploring their world. For this reason I recommend gathering science kits: a good magnetic kit, an electricity kit, a simple chemistry kit, magnifying glasses, a sample of rocks and their names, an aquarium or bug collecting kit, etc. If you need some specific kit recommendations, let me know. :)

I wanted to follow up. I got both the 365 Simple Science Experiments and 365 More Simple Science Experiments from the library, and I'm loving these books so far. I like the way the lessons build, and how they are simple and fun.

This is one (or two) books that I think will need to be a "purchase item" as they are too rich.

My son, who discovered me reading though the book last night insisted we try an "experiment" (despite it being past his bed-time) so I indulged him by opening to a random page where you were asked to take a ruler and to stick it over the edge of a desk a couple inches and then to lay two piece of newspaper over the ruler (on the table portion), and then try to bang on the protruding ruler end to flip it off the table. I was dubious that a couple thin pieces of paper would block this action (to say the least).

Then to complicate matters I couldn't find a regular sized ruler, so all I had was a junior ruler. And I had a couple sheets of computer handy, but didn't want to rummage for newspaper (trash night). So thinking this experiment would be a total bust, never-the-less I laid two sheets of paper over the ruler the long way (on the desk portion, with a couple inches sticking out) and told my son to strike it and see if he could "flip" the ruler. He could not. I was amazed!

I found if I really hit it really hard I could sometimes flip it and sometimes could not. I couldn't believe it. Really. And we didn't even do it right.

Try it yourselves if you doubt me (not you Mama T, you know :D)

Bill

Edited by Spy Car