Menu

Tell me about Latin Centered Curriculum

I'm afraid to ask! but I've seen it in growing numbers and I'm curious about it.

What's the format?

Total cost per year, or how the cost works?

Why you like or dislike?

Is it cross over grade friendly (I have lots of dc!)

Looking forward to reading on my lunch break!

I'm sure that you'll get a better answer than this, but the Latin Centered Curriculum is a method. The book is about $18 on the Memoria Press website.

I combine the Well Trained Mind and LCC. Both are sitting side-by-side on my desk for easy reference. For example, I like WTM recs for History, but I use them in an LCC way. The best way to understand it is to read the book.

I think that it would work beautifully with many students. :)

I'm afraid to ask! but I've seen it in growing numbers and I'm curious about it.

What's the format?

Why you like or dislike?

I am probably the 'newest' user of LCC here (week THREE) - I began seeing it here on the curriculum board, became curious, searched old threads and read for hours. Just as I began reading, the 'Latin-Centered' board went down (and is still not up) so I immediately ordered Drew Campbell's book, THE LATIN-CENTERED CURRICULUM. I devoured it the day it arrived -- devoured it again that same night, and have probably read through the book AND the sections that apply to our homeschool (One 5th grader and two 3rd graders) more times than I can remember. I was immediately impacted by Mr. Campbell's direction of 'multum non multa" - we were doing well with out former curriculum BUT I was being worn to a frazzle -- the LCC IS (as women have written here) more relaxed, etc.....which is SO interesting to me b/c I am NOT a relaxed homeschooler -- I have to make Lesson Plans, be able to see the clock, etc. Doing LCC has quieted the little voice in my head that kept telling me we weren't doing 'enough.' We are doing fewer subjects and we are going into great depth in each of them -- which is working out quite well for all of us.

One more thing: my three children came home from a classical Christian private school that truly works as Mr. Campbell describes in his book. So switching to LCC has been great for them b/c this is absolutely what they were accustomed to and what they liked.

COST: For the first time ever, I sold the books we were not using to defray the cost of the materials we needed to accomplish our transition -- History, Writing, Christian Studies. While it was an outlay at the start, we are using fewer materials than we had been.

I think it is crossover friendly with different grade levels if one follows Mr. Campbell's suggestions for just such a situation, AND if you are able to do combine at least one subject area for all the kids (my three do Christian Studies together) and DD10 will stop whatever she is doing to participate in Famous Men of Greece - she already covered the material in school, but she loves it.

I do feel badly that we have 'bagged' Science (Chemistry) during our transition, but the kids are watching videos and dvds from the library that are science-centered and I am letting that do the job.

HTH

Edited by MariannNOVA

What's the format?

Why you like or dislike?

I consider LCC to be a framework for our studies. I agree with HS, reading the book really answers a lot of questions.

LCC really can look different for each family so costs may be harder to compare. LCC has freed up some of our time so ds can explore science on his own, so we spend more on science than some LCC families.

I like that is has given me a framework for ds' education. When I first started to explore classical I felt overwhelmed by the choices. I knew I needed to learn some subjects ahead of him, as I had never read many of the great books. I'm following LCC high school recs for my self-ed.

LCC helps me to stay focused on the core subjects of Latin, comprehension, & math. It so easy to think that adding just a little something else won't affect our schedule, yeah right. For my ds, who is mildly dyslexic & highly distractable, LCC has been great.

I combine the Well Trained Mind and LCC. Both are sitting side-by-side on my desk for easy reference. For example, I like WTM recs for History, but I use them in an LCC way. The best way to understand it is to read the book.

:iagree:Love the WTM history, love everything else about LCC.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that WTM is history focused and LCC is language focused.

But, you really do just have to read the book. It's not huge, and it would work well for multiple children, I think.

Oh, it’s not the length of the book that puts me off, it is the cost of another book, period. I can not stop buying books. I love a big thick book, yum. Okay, so LCC is light in the history area, which saves time in itself. I see, thank you. The LCC book is definitely on my used book wish list.

:001_smile:

I can understand your desire to economize, but this is like asking someone to describe the taste of chicken. I really do not want eat it myself. But what does it taste like? Will I like it? What seasonings would you recommend? Etc. Sorry to say, the best way to begin to understand the approach is to read the book. Can you get it from the library, if you do not want to buy it?

You can learn more about the LCC approach by reading some of the articles on Memoria Press' website, the Climbing Parnassus book, and perusing the many LCC-related threads on this forum. But I think these are more meaningful after you have read the book. Once you have read the book, the LCC Yahoo group is another good place to ask questions relating to applying LCC.

As for saving time, I do not believe that saving time is the goal of either LCC or WTM. Yes, you would be adding Latin and also Greek.

I don't think it's about saving time - it's about whether or not this particular approach to education appeals to you. For many of us who find this approach appealing, its adoption has simplified our approach to homeschooling. But that is a side-effect, and simplification does not necessarily translate into saving time. The primary benefits of the approach can be read about in LCC and in Climbing Parnassus.

As with the chicken, you can't really know whether you're going to like it unless you take a taste. Reading a relatively short book is, in my opinion, a painless (actually enjoyable and enlightening) way to take that taste.

I think this is a helpful thread.

:iagree:

LCC (the book) is sometimes available here used at a good price -- I understand your reluctance to buy 'another' book - I tried to learn as much as I could without the book, but I was only able to go so far. You might try ebay as well --

The book was invaluable to me as Andrew provides schedules and I was able to quickly and easily do my lesson plans from those.:001_smile:

I can understand your desire to economize, but this is like asking someone to describe the taste of chicken. I really do not want eat it myself. But what does it taste like? Will I like it? What seasonings would you recommend? Etc. Sorry to say, the best way to begin to understand the approach is to read the book. Can you get it from the library, if you do not want to buy it?

You can learn more about the LCC approach by reading some of the articles on Memoria Press' website, the Climbing Parnassus book, and perusing the many LCC-related threads on this forum. But I think these are more meaningful after you have read the book. Once you have read the book, the LCC Yahoo group is another good place to ask questions relating to applying LCC.

As for saving time, I do not believe that saving time is the goal of either LCC or WTM. Yes, you would be adding Latin and also Greek.

I don't think it's about saving time - it's about whether or not this particular approach to education appeals to you. For many of us who find this approach appealing, its adoption has simplified our approach to homeschooling. But that is a side-effect, and simplification does not necessarily translate into saving time. The primary benefits of the approach can be read about in LCC and in Climbing Parnassus.

As with the chicken, you can't really know whether you're going to like it unless you take a taste. Reading a relatively short book is, in my opinion, a painless (actually enjoyable and enlightening) way to take that taste.

I can’t speak for the OP, but I don’t think that either the OP or I have the slightest problem with reading a delightful, possibly enjoyable and very enriching book. Rather our questions are: do we want to buy this book? What is so great about this approach to classical education? Or why on earth would we want to teach Greek? How has it benefited your family?

:)

I would think that a method of homeschooling could be more easily described than the taste of chicken, no?

Saving time through simplifying has been an explanation of the LCC’s benefits which is why I asked the question.

Thanks for your input. My library is wonderful, but they do not carry many HS books, due to the “great” school systems and the fact that most HSers in this area are unschooling, unfortunately.

:glare:

Edited by lovemykids
typo :)

LCC (the book) is sometimes available here used at a good price -- I understand your reluctance to buy 'another' book - I tried to learn as much as I could without the book, but I was only able to go so far. You might try ebay as well --

The book was invaluable to me as Andrew provides schedules and I was able to quickly and easily do my lesson plans from those.:001_smile:

Thanks!

I was able to learn a LOT about LCC just by reading threads here (LCC tag and google search) and on the old boards (google search), the articles at the Memoria Press site, and the posts on the LatinClassicalEd yahoo group. That was more than enough for me to get a good understanding of the LCC philosophy, and figure out it was what I want to do. It's not enough to implement a full LCC program, though (unless you are very knowledgeable about the classics or willing to become so).

Cost-wise, would be the cost of the books rec'd for Lit/his/etc., a math program, a latin program, a comp program, and a greek program (when you get to it), plus whatever you want to do for science, art, music, etc. It can be as cheap or pricey as you want it to be. I think you could do LCC almost exclusively with public domain texts and other free programs, plus a library card. Or you could buy all his exact rec's new. It's pretty flexible that way.

HTH

I've read WTM 2 1/2 times and I disagree that Latin is not a core. Latin is very important in the WTM method and the authors say just that, while it does expand beyond that and make History a vital focus.

Simply from an academic POV History may not be considered important, but I would say that considering the world we live in, the economy and political boiling pot we are in, History would be considered a vital part of education regardless of political ideals. I do not understand how a Latin-based curricula could be considered thorough without History, since it is from their philosophers and scientists that many of our Founding Principles are stemmed from, and much of the beliefs that shaped math, science and language and politics in the world since.

I thought all the great men of the past studied such things. How can there be a good curricula or method that leaves part of it out, but says it is based on what these men did?

Reading WTM I understood that History ws vital because it is what TIES all these things together with our understanding of it/them.

I'm also not understanding how WTM is considered "Book Only" method, as though it is supposed to be enitrely separate from "Learning from Life" idea.

I took the book to say that we teach our minds the structure of thought so that our minds may apply it to Real Life, and see how these things like Latin, science, all tie together to influence the world and present day through History. To say nothing of our appreciation of them because we understand this connection from history.

Food for thought...

Guest RecumbentHeart

Thanks for your input. My library is wonderful, but they do not carry many HS books, due to the “great†school systems and the fact that most HSers in this area are unschooling, unfortunately.

:glare:

Hah ... sounds like my county library system. Once I started reading LCC I came across a number of great books mentioned that I wanted to read as well and not one of them is available through our library. It dampened my excitement over getting a library card.

Amazon is another place you can sometimes find great prices on used books although I think I got my copy of LCC from ebay.

Have you read the chapter of LCC that is online? I think it essentially sums up the LCC. I didn't see if it had been linked to yet but here it is: LCC Sample

I've read WTM 2 1/2 times and I disagree that Latin is not a core. Latin is very important in the WTM method and the authors say just that, while it does expand beyond that and make History a vital focus.

Simply from an academic POV History may not be considered important, but I would say that considering the world we live in, the economy and political boiling pot we are in, History would be considered a vital part of education regardless of political ideals. I do not understand how a Latin-based curricula could be considered thorough without History, since it is from their philosophers and scientists that many of our Founding Principles are stemmed from, and much of the beliefs that shaped math, science and language and politics in the world since.

I thought all the great men of the past studied such things. How can there be a good curricula or method that leaves part of it out, but says it is based on what these men did?

Reading WTM I understood that History ws vital because it is what TIES all these things together with our understanding of it/them.

I'm also not understanding how WTM is considered "Book Only" method, as though it is supposed to be enitrely separate from "Learning from Life" idea.

I took the book to say that we teach our minds the structure of thought so that our minds may apply it to Real Life, and see how these things like Latin, science, all tie together to influence the world and present day through History. To say nothing of our appreciation of them because we understand this connection from history.

Food for thought...

Actually, LCC is very history intense. LCC is does have Latin at the core, though.. plus Greek. Greek and Latin language is to be studied up through 12 grade. What really separates LCC from TWTM is not history (although they take a different approach to history, it is still intense) but LCC is more narrow and deep than TWTM. For example, LCC will have you reading classics in Ancient Greek, untranslated. TWTM will have you drop Latin after a few years and take Spanish. TWTM will have music and art as subjects and LCC will not (interest, extra curricular only) to give a more broad education and LCC will have you take up the school time to be doing: Great Books, History, Latin, Greek, Logic, Writing, Bible. It loses a lot of the extra stuff. LCC will also combine subjects. For example, Latin provides grammar. So you wouldn't need a separate grammar course.

LCC will not appeal to everyone just as TWTM or Charlotte Mason, or Maria Montessori won't appeal to everyone.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I haven't read LCC yet either (on my wishlist), but I recently learned a lot from reading samples on Amazon. I kept clicking the "surprise me" option and was able to read quite a bit of it (more than usual with their books). It was a little choppy, of course. ;) Anyway, just thought I'd mention it for anyone who, like me, can't quite fit it into the budget yet.

Just to add to your decision, there is a new edition of LCC. I appreciate the new edition. Sorry! (I'm sorry because the old edition will be the one you find at used bookstores.) I cannot compare the two editions for you, because I gave away my first edition to someone on this board.

Julie

Actually, LCC is very history intense. LCC is does have Latin at the core, though.. plus Greek. Greek and Latin language is to be studied up through 12 grade. What really separates LCC from TWTM is not history (although they take a different approach to history, it is still intense) but LCC is more narrow and deep than TWTM. For example, LCC will have you reading classics in Ancient Greek, untranslated. TWTM will have you drop Latin after a few years and take Spanish. TWTM will have music and art as subjects and LCC will not (interest, extra curricular only) to give a more broad education and LCC will have you take up the school time to be doing: Great Books, History, Latin, Greek, Logic, Writing, Bible. It loses a lot of the extra stuff. LCC will also combine subjects. For example, Latin provides grammar. So you wouldn't need a separate grammar course.

LCC will not appeal to everyone just as TWTM or Charlotte Mason, or Maria Montessori won't appeal to everyone.

Thank you. This is the kind of "chicken" I was looking for :001_smile:

Food for thought...

Hmm, yes, food for thought! :tongue_smilie:

I still need to read the LCC book though. :rolleyes:

Primarily LCC approach, using Saxon Math, IEW, Lively Latin, Hey Andrew!, Vocabulary in Action, Roots of English, Junior Analytical Grammar, Think Analogies, Logic Safari, Exploring the World of Biology, piano, music theory and appreciation, lots of reading in poetry, mythology, fiction, history and science.

Wait, David, you are using many things that WTMers use, what about SOTW? :bigear:

Some of you LCC followers must use SOTW! ? :confused:

Wait, David, you are using many things that WTMers use, what about SOTW? :bigear:

Some of you LCC followers must use SOTW! ? :confused:

My son loved SOTW. He read all four volumes one after another in 3rd grade. He reads extensively in science and history, above and beyond the core subjects. LCC leaves a lot of room for independent reading and study. Outside of the core LCC subjects, he reads about 1-2 hours a day in various subjects and watches educational videos for about an hour a day. We use many of the WTM recommended books for pleasure reading. Just because it's in WTM doesn't mean I can't use it. :001_smile:

Our core subjects are math, Latin, Greek, writing, and music. These we do every day. We also do some reading in history, science, and fiction every day. We study Greek and Roman culture, history, mythology, etc. each year. It's an ongoing study. As he gets older, we will add logic and literature study as well, roughly following the sequence and materials recommended in LCC.

Thanks David,

Well I was just checking. ;) Leaving out SOTW would be a deal breaker for me. Tee hee. I’m sure I will read LCC, and walk away with a slightly different slant on our HS. I may even add Latin, and (gasp!) Greek, (IDK about that one). But I could never completely leave TWTM.

Seriously, thanks for your explanation. LCC reminds me of CM, just a bit, in the fact that it leaves a lot of room for independent study, and it focuses on language and the arts. History is given a lot of importance, but it’s done in a different way than WTM. This is what I would like to do more of myself, leaving us room for ample science studies and religion.

I don't know whether my opinion would be helpful or not because I have not implemented LCC. I have, however, read it (and I own it). In the end, what it came down to for me is that I appreciate the liberal arts education described in TWTM and think that the LCC scope and sequence, while definitely rigorous, is too narrowly focused for today's world. That's great that the kids are reading Greek works in Greek, but, imo, too much that will be assumed the kids have studied when they go to college is neglected. Not enough science, not enough history (there is A LOT of history, but most of it is Greek and Roman), not enough liberal arts stuff.

I appreciate what Drew is trying to do, but ... I'd like to see how a kid educated in the LCC way fares in college before I jumped in. I have no doubts that an LCC education will teach kids how to think and learn, but I'm not sure it will equip them with a broad enough general knowledge base. Again, just my opinion.

Tara

Here's the thing, even with LCC you have a ton of time to listen to SOTW. Last year, my daughter did other things, but listened to SOTW over and over until she had parts of it memorized. This year, she is listening to it as well. I also purchased the Jim Weiss CDs for this period. And, my daughters listen to them... over and over... For Science, nothing is saying you can't go through something like Apologia... which is what my daughter is doing... maybe not as much as some.. but some of it...

Carrie:-)

In my view, WTM is more pragmatic in it's "classical" approach to education. LCC is more "purely" classical in the philosophical sense. Because that appeals to me, and because I think anyone schooled for that many years in Math, Latin, and Greek could pretty much tackle any college/graduate class they were given, I tend to lean toward LCC in approach.

I think when you compare the two books, you get a definate sense of the person behind the words in the books. SWB is a history person, Dr. Campbell is a language person. This waters down the books way too much, I admit, but I'm just talking a little of the basics of the writers themselves. I know it has been brought up, but Sayers article is really a big part of the philosophy of WTM, while LCC is based much more on the philosophies of classical education as discussed in Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons.

I see the two books as quite different, actually. I have the WTM 1999 version on my shelf for frequent reference, but I have bought both versions of LCC. Philosophically speaking, I am wholeheartedly a follower of LCC, however, pragmatically speaking, I like aspects of WTM. I have not liked SWB's curriculum choices in her newest versions, so I don't buy the revisions. Nor do I wholeheartedly like the curriculum choices in LCC. (Although I have gleaned much from the Memoria Press website, as well as Highlands Latin School website, both of which are connected pretty directly to LCC)

I come here for curriculum choices. he, he. :lol:

I bought the first edition of LCC a year or so ago, and decided that I liked it enough to buy the second edition. I have read the two revised versions of WTM, but like the 1999 version the best. I strongly suggest getting a used copy of both. It helps give a broader viewpoint on the classical ideas. I also suggest delving into the philosophies of Charlotte Mason and other types of hsing styles to broaden your approach as well. Doing this type of educational philosophical reading has helped me to determine not just the approach I want to take, but what my goals are and what curriculum will help me attain those goals.

You can't waste money on homeschooling philosophies. They help you determine the kind of "school" you will run. :001_smile: You will always glean something from whatever approach you read. It does help to have a good library, I will admit thought, because of all the reading I've done, I only bought three books for my own personal frequent reference. :)

I think when you compare the two books, you get a definate sense of the person behind the words in the books. SWB is a history person, Dr. Campbell is a language person. This waters down the books way too much, I admit, but I'm just talking a little of the basics of the writers themselves. I know it has been brought up, but Sayers article is really a big part of the philosophy of WTM, while LCC is based much more on the philosophies of classical education as discussed in Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons.

I come here for curriculum choices. he, he. :lol:

I also suggest delving into the philosophies of Charlotte Mason and other types of hsing styles to broaden your approach as well. Doing this type of educational philosophical reading has helped me to determine not just the approach I want to take, but what my goals are and what curriculum will help me attain those goals.

You can't waste money on homeschooling philosophies. They help you determine the kind of "school" you will run. :001_smile: You will always glean something from whatever approach you read. It does help to have a good library, I will admit thought, because of all the reading I've done, I only bought three books for my own personal frequent reference. :)

Very true, I love to combine approaches. Love CM as well! I have read far too many HS books. :rolleyes: But you know, it's fun. ;)

So what, exactly, did you drop from WTM to do LCC?

Here are some of the things I've dropped:

- Sayers' theory of childhood development stages

- four year history cycle

- Sayers' idea that the trivium is a template that can be used to describe any subject. To me, the trivium is a set of subjects to study.

That being said, I really like the two editions of WTM. I use the books for ideas and as a source of information on curricula and materials. I also like the reviews of various curricula and the descriptions of, for a given subject, what is important to learn. So I use ideas from the books, but do not use the methodology.

Regarding the idea of LCC saving time, this has not been my experience. Our school days are the same length, and the work we do after school is just as much as it was before going to LCC. But the emphases have changed, and we use our time differently.

Below is my current implementation of LCC. Bear in mind that LCC is a methodology and approach. Other people will implement it differently. That's why I say my approach is "primarily LCC".

How we do LCC

Our essential daily subjects are math, latin, greek, writing, and music.

My son is not a morning person. During breakfast, he reads, usually science and history (about 10-15 minutes each). This is followed by 15-30 minutes of fiction reading.

Starting around 10:00, we do math, latin, greek, and writing. Sometimes writing has to wait until after lunch.

During lunch, my son watches educational videos.

In the afternoon, we do writing first, if it was not done in the morning. This is usually followed by grammar, vocabulary, or poetry. This takes us to about 2:00 PM. For the last hour of school, we rotate through the other subjects and materials listed in my signature, using all of them in the course of a week.

After school, my son reads while we drive to his various activities (karate, soccer, piano lessons, etc.).

In the evening, my son practices his piano and does any music theory homework he may have. A couple of evenings per week he watches an educational video or plays Chessmaster on the computer. On some nights, we read poetry or other literature aloud; on other nights, we may all sit around, reading our respective books. Friday is family night and we may go out to a movie or watch one at home.

Our local museums and zoo offer homeschool classes that usually take about half the day, typically starting in the afternoon. On those days, we try to do math, latin, greek, and writing before the zoo/museum activity. Sometimes we don’t get it all done. But my son gets a bunch of reading done traveling to and from the activity.

Each weekend day my son practices piano and reads for at least one hour. He has sports activities and occasional workshops on weekends as well.

From time to time we play board games. These often involve spelling, vocabulary, math, and logic. For music appreciation, we listen to music, go to concerts, read library books about composers, and watch educational videos. Hands-on art activities are covered by taking classes at the museums. For art appreciation, we visit museums, read books, and watch educational videos.

Each year, we read at least one narrative overview of world history. (3rd grade was SOTW, 4th was CHOW, this year will be Gombich.) We are almost always in the middle of at least two history books, one on American history, one on world history. We are also usually reading something about ancient Greece and Rome, either history, famous people, or myths.

Much of our science is done via classes at the museums and the zoo, reading, and watching educational videos. As part of our afternoon rotation, we do a chapter in a science workbook once a week.

So far our study of religion has been informal, reading stories from the bible and from other religions.

As we proceed, we plan to add the following more structured programs into our afternoon rotation: Memoria Press' Christian Studies program, their Famous Men of X workbooks, and some introductory logic study using Art of Argument and Fallacy Detective.

Edited by plimsoll

Here are some of the things I've dropped:

- Sayers' theory of childhood development stages

- four year history cycle

- Sayers' idea that the trivium is a template that can be used to describe any subject. To me, the trivium is a set of subjects to study.

I had always planned on doing Greek, but wasn't sure how it would fit in with WTM. So LCC helped me to simplify the organization in my mind for the implementation of the three languages I wanted to do in the early years (Greek, Latin, and English). Besides, although I don't like all Campbell's curriculum choices for us, I certainly like them better then SWB's, and that is just personality. :)

Here is an interesting idea: SWB is from VA, which is where I was living when I first read her book. Because I was studying VA homeshooling laws at the same time I was reading her books, I could see clear evidence of her practical suggestions as partly stemming from the rather specific laws of VA (it was clear at the time, now I'm having trouble remembering exactly what triggered that thought, but it mostly had to do with logging hours, and specific schedules, etc.). Her suggestions totally made sense, living in VA. Now that I live in MI (where there are currently no homeschool laws) I see how much easier it is to follow something like LCC schedule. Just a thought...

Edited by sarahv

David,

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. Sometimes I think my oldest dd is not quite ready for the logic stage, so a different timeframe makes sense to me. We also enjoy studying American history and world history simultaneously. I think I would end up making a combination of WTM, CM, and LCC. It sounds like we are already doing some of LCC’s methodigies if that’s possible without Latin and Greek.

Does anyone care to give me a copy of the LCC book? Want to trade for something? ;)