Menu

s/o on my washer thread - if you have front loads, have you MADE a platform for them?

Buying the platforms costs $400, which makes them more cost prohibitive. Anyone make a platform and trim it out to hold the washer/dryer in place? I don't want to set them on the floor because I want them a good height for loading/unloading.

Anyone do this?

The height is good for getting things out of the washer or dryer, BUT we have cabinets on the wall above them, and with the platforms, they are so tall and stick out so far that I can't reach my cabinets. And I'm 5'6", so it's not that I'm short! I told dh I wanted to get rid of the platforms. They have drawers in them, but we don't use them for anything except storing the paperwork that came with the washer & dryer, and also a small toolbox that could easily go someplace else. $400 wasted, IMO.

My dad made some for their set. He made them out of wood and painted them to match. They look great! He did have a little trouble at first with the leveling, but that seems to be resolved (they don't live right near-by, but my mom hasn't said anything about that lately, LOL, so I'm assuming he fixed it! He's on top of things like that!) They were very happy to have saved the money, and it was hard for my mom to bend down, so they really did need something to lift up the appliances.

Buying the platforms costs $400, which makes them more cost prohibitive. Anyone make a platform and trim it out to hold the washer/dryer in place? I don't want to set them on the floor because I want them a good height for loading/unloading.

Anyone do this?

No, I make my kids do the bulk of the loading and unloading! :D Well...plus, I'm 5'1", it's probably not as hard for me as it is for some people.

I'm planning on making a platform for mine. I was just going to use plywood and cover them with vinyl tile or something (paint?). So far, it's just an idea I've been kicking around in my head. I'd love for them to be about 4-5" higher than they are.

ETA: I do like the idea of trim to hold them in place. Hmmmm... and maybe a countertop!

I'm 5'4", which is the perfect height for my front load washer to be inconvenient. Too high with the platform, too low without one. For now, I have a low stool sitting in front of my washer that I sit on to unload the washer and stand on to hang up shirts on the rod above (otherwise I can't reach). DH is thinking about a better solution but hasn't come up with one yet. Sigh.

And I'm thinking too low without something. However, the pedestals would make them too high to fit under our cabinets, so we will HAVE to build something. In addition, I know we won't get a good level with our ceramic tile so we'll need to build something anyway.