Menu

How valuable do you feel a 2nd language is?

Tap

Ds15 is in public high school. He is a sophomores and is in Spanish 3. His teacher from Spanish 1&2 has remarked several times that he seems to have a gift for the language and says his pronunciation is like he is a native speaker. Her husband speaks Spanish, and they speak it predominately at home, so I feel she has more than a typical teacher's experience with the language. The work is not easy for him, but he still got an A in both 1&2, so that combined with his verbal ability shows me that he has a chance to actually use the language later in life.

Ds has mentioned that he is considering dropping foreign language next year or switching to Japanese. Spanish was only picked in the beginning because it was our only choice at the time.

My instinct is to have him stay in one language for high school (his school offers AP Spanish 5), so he can get a working use of the language, not just enough to ask where the bathroom is.

I know he will do what ever I suggest, but I don't really know what is better. To have a little use of two languages, or a more comprehensive use of 1, or to not worry about it at all, and just let him drop it all together.

I didn't post on the high school board, because I am wondering more about how this will affect him after school, and not necessarily now or for college.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I would have loved it if my kids could have picked up a 2nd language, but apart from slogging away at Latin, which we continue to do, we gave up.

From what you say, it sounds like it woudl be great if your son could continue with Spanish- whether or not he wanted to pick up Japanese as well. Perhaps languages are his forte. In Europe, many people study a 3rd and 4th language, I understand.

I agree it would probably be better to be fluent in one language rather than sketchy in two, but if he has a strong pull to Japanese....well, who knows, maybe he will be a diplomat or something.

I would definitely go for a more proficient use of 1 language.

As far as motivation, I think being proficient in a second language will open doors for him in whatever career he chooses in the future. He will have knowledge that others don't and that will create opporunities for him.

Well. Couple thoughts. Say he has enough Spanish to do well on the AP Spanish test, and then has enough Japanese to do well on the AP Japanese test...it would show he has a gift, and that's a good thing to show colleges. Is there a way for him to be able to take Japanese at the same time he keeps up his Spanish? Does he know enough Spanish to take the AP test now? Would a little outside tutoring help him with that so he can take Japanese?

Another other thought is this; what does he think he might want to study later on? Which language would be more helpful?

Is there a way for him to be able to take Japanese at the same time he keeps up his Spanish? Not really, he has a heavy academic load, rows for crew right now, and will swim for the highschool team in the late fall/winter.

Does he know enough Spanish to take the AP test now? Not yet. I don't know how much is required for the AP exam, but since the school only offers AP 5 (no AP 4 or lower- and no pre-Ap classes), I am guessing a student needs to complete the full 5 years to get to proficiency.

Would a little outside tutoring help him with that so he can take Japanese? If we had the time :)

Another other thought is this; what does he think he might want to study later on? Which language would be more helpful?

He and I were up until 2am talking last night about this subject. He doesn't know, but feels drawn to biology. He is in a Math, Science, Technology magnet school so he will get a great foundation for a science career. I think he will end up in the medical field. He has always been fascinated by how the body works. He also has a very profound, and mature Christian faith so I wouldn't be surprised to see him work in the ministry or mission field also.

He doesn't have any interest in travel, even though I have always tried to encourage him to take a year to travel abroad. He likes where we live, and doesn't feel a need to leave (his dad was the same way when we met). So, there isn't a grand scheme of jumping a boat to Japan any time soon.

To answer your question...I don't know if there is any benefit to him learning another language. It isn't obvious to us yet at least. :D I guess, since Spanish shares a lot of roots with Latin (thinking science)....it makes more connections that Japanese...but that is as far as I can go. :lol:

ETA: I reviewed the most current student guide and they now offer AP Spanish 4, but they suggest taking all 5 years.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Does he have room in his schedule for both? In other countries it is common for people to speak 3 and 4 languages. Japanese and Spanish are very different so while taking one doesn't really reinforce the other like French might, he certainly won't confuse them.

If he has a gift for languages I would encourage him to do both. If this year is too full maybe he can add the Japanese next year.

I don't think he will have time, it will have to be either/or. Right now his forcast for next year, his Jr. year is:

AP-Spanish 4

AP-Calculus

AP-English Literature

Pre Ap-Physics

Current World Problems or US History

Research (how to) class or Elective or Principles of Engineering (depends on how he likes his intro to engineering class this year.)

Fine Arts Credit requirement.

-chess team and he has been asked to join the math team and Knowledge Bowl this year, he said maybe next year (honestly I hope he doesn't-it will over schedule him).

-crew/swimming

-church outreach

He will also begin working on a formal submission for the

International Science and Engineering Fair. (Magnet requirement for Jr/Sr year)

I know in other countries this is a pretty typical schedule, and adding a 3rd language would be expected, not discouraged. But he is so busy, and I really want him to have a little fun, so I hate to see him add another class.

Fluency in a 2nd language is a nice thing to have on a resume (imo) even if you don't use it for work.

I wish I had taken 4 years of 1 language. Instead, I took 2 of German and 2 of French. Today, I remember how to call someone a witch in German and how to say 'shut up' in French. I can say the alphabets and pick out a few vocab words. That's it. To me, that's a complete waste of 4 years of studying!

I intend to strongly encourage (but not force) my kids to go with 4 or more years of 1 language.

I think that sticking with one language to proficiency is more useful. Once you've done that with one language, it becomes (I think) easier to learn other languages. I studied French from age 11, then as my major subject at university. I then took up Mandarin and studied that to reasonable fluency. The little bits of other languages that I took (three years of Latin, two of Spanish) have not done me any good, but the major languages have been fulfilling and useful pursuits.

Another option is to take both. Calvin is studying three languages, Hobbes four. You have to worry about each one becoming too diluted in your schedule though.

Laura

very valuable... increased job opportunity... increases ability to learn.... and makes life very interesting

I have a friend in Haiti who speaks 4 or 5 languages. Due to his ability to speak Spanish he literally saved a man's life one day. Never know!

Have a friend in Atlanta who speaks 4 languages. She has lived in several countries to study during college years. Got a job with a Japanese consulate for a while. And now is a department head for a large public school system in the foreign language dept. So many experiences from learning different languages & she has a "knack" for them. She sees language as history, culture, and speech.... and teaches this in her classes.

My friend in ATL woudl recommend the best way to learn to really USE the language is to get out of the books & classroom (sounds like a homeschooler.. haha). She said to find a person that is fluent in the tongue you are learning & PRACTICE. Take walks, go to libraries & restautants.... go to the mall or to the store, etc. Practice & practice. She found a wonderful Japanese lady who worked with her (after her study of the basics in the text books as OP son has done already). The Japanese lady wanted to practice English & my friend wanted to practice Japanese... they spent several hours a week togather "practicing on each other". She now speaks Japanese beautifully!

Edited by Dirtroad

I would stick with Spanish for now, if I were your son. Once in college he can take Japanese. The college language classes are much more intensive than the high school ones. He will, after a year of college, know more Japanese than in two years of high school. So don't waste those high school years! Reach fluency first, then switch.

As for how valuable I think a second language is, well, I'm writing to you in my second language. ;-) Spanish was my third. I reached fluency in those three languages, then studied German but I have had no exposure to the language and therefore lost it.

He might also consider if he's drawn to Japanese culture, then do some sort of cultural activities with minor language exposure. Watch subtitled movies/tv shows, eat Japanese food, watch dancing or sports, hang out with Japanese exchange students, listen to their pop music, follow news about them. I think it's really great to learn several languages, but I think it's better to stick with the second language while gaining fluency instead of abandoning it.

I say stick with Spanish, and then take Japanese in college.

I took 3 years of Spanish and 2 years of French in high school. I then took a year of college-level French and 2 years of college-level Japanese.

In my opinion, the study of Japanese, especially once you get to learning kanji, is much better suited to college than high school. And even though Spanish and Japanese are nothing alike, he may find Japanese to be fairly easy after taking so many years of Spanish. He'll probably also appreciate the faster pace of college-level language courses. If he's talented with language, the pace of high school Japanese won't be much of a challenge.