Menu

Pointing w/middle finger...

It is not my child's intent to offend anyone since he's only 5 and doesn't know it as being a rude hand gesture (would never even cross his mind, IYKWIM), so I'm not worried about anyone getting the wrong idea... nor do I think that it is something I need to correct/change. ;) I'm just curious if anyone else's dc does this?

I had one child who did this. I think it was related to the fact that he sucked the last two fingers on his hand, so he would point with his middle finger. I gently encouraged him to use his pointer because it is more polite than the middle finger. I think he had stopped by the time he was 4. When he was about 7, he saw someone flip the bird and he realized how angry that looked and understood it to be a shockingly rude gesture. What people will overlook on a little one is seen as totally inappropriate on an older child.

Yes, and we correct her, but it doesn't sink in to change either. She doesn't even know she is doing it until we point it out. This is the child that often still has to count when you hold up 5 fingers though.... LOL, so well, we keep trying!

Like yours she doesn't know/get that she is using an offending finger. We do mention that people will take it as "not nice" (she is my 10yo). But really i try to make it not a huge deal so as to not embarrass her either.

My father points at things on papers, tables, etc with his middle finger, but not when pointing at things in the distance, if that makes any sense. I find myself doing the same thing, and my kids do occasionally also. I always just thought it was some weird quirk in my family - didn't know that others did it!

As far as correcting it - I think a gentle reminder will work over time.

My oldest DD did this a few years ago when she was 2 and 3 years old. I would never make a big deal about it....in fact, I said nothing to her about it. However, my two sisters always said something about it and it ticked me off. She has NO clue she was making a rude hand gesture. It's only a rude hand gesture if you know the meaning behind it and are intentionally doing it!

Guest janainaz

Mine did that (both of them). I just would casually tell them to point with the pointer and show them which one, but I never made a derogatory comment about it. No big deal.

My father points at things on papers, tables, etc with his middle finger, but not when pointing at things in the distance, if that makes any sense. I find myself doing the same thing, and my kids do occasionally also. I always just thought it was some weird quirk in my family - didn't know that others did it!

As far as correcting it - I think a gentle reminder will work over time.

My dad does this, too! Like yours, just on the paper or table in front of him.

My 5 yr old son has always pointed this way and he also is totally clueless that another person would think it anything other than pointing.

ETA: one of the other kids reads his books with that finger under the words. And like a pp I don't appreciate someone correcting him on it either. He is pointing and nothing more.

Edited by Martha