Menu

if you live in a cold place

I hate the cold. I normally layer for warmth - a long-sleeved T and a fleece zip-up for inside. A Lands-End Dory jacket for most days. All that plus a Lands-end Squall coat for the colder days when I am outside. I wear a scarf to help me breathe the cold air, a hat that covers my ears because they freeze numb before I notice, and waterproof gloves. I wear thermal long johns and/ or lined jeans, but Ski pants with thermals are best for really cold days. I wear wool ski socks because they are breathable and warm and Merrell mocs most days, but lined Rocket Dog boots when the snow is deep. I have had good results with the coats from Lands End for myself and the kids. I typically get our winter shoes locally at REI so the kis can try them on. Ski shops are great for supplies but pricey unless you buy in the spring or after Christmas.

We lived in Alaska for about 4 years. I bought a lot of clothing through Sierratradingpost.com and Campmor. I mostly wore jeans with different layered shirts/coats. Depending on the temps I would either wear a fleece coat with gloves and hat (in the fall), or one of two down coats (winter). I had light fleece gloves and heavier ski type gloves and a fleece hat. I also have several zip-t fleece shirts (turtlenecks) that I wore a lot.

Hope that helps!

but are sensitive to cold.....

what are you wearing for clothing, socks, long underwear, etc in the coldest parts of the year? Where'd you get them?

I live in fleece pants. Um, can't remember where I got them though. I'll edit when I remember. I am allergic to wool, so I'm very happy I wasn't born in the 1800's. I love fleece. I throw on a heavy fleece sweater when I am cold inside the house.

Julie

I wear land's end silk long johns under my clothes. I have two pair so that I have one set to wear while the other is in the wash. They are warm, but light weight. I wear a lands end mock turtle neck (I find real turtle necks uncomfortable) with a thick sweat shirt or sweater. I can get by with regular jeans. For socks I buy the thin ski socks at a sporting goods store. I keep gloves and a hat in my purse, so that I am never caught without them. I wear lands end snow boots for every day shoes in the winter. I have the ones that have stretchy laces, so I don't have to tie and untie them every time I take them off. I have the boot style slipper for around the house. And I sleep in flannel over my silk long johns.

Thanks y'all. I'm gonna check those things out.

One concern I have is how sensorily sensitive I am. Just reading this thread made me feel short of breath! LOL

However, I am always SO cold. I've been having hot flashes (well, not flashes...they last), but I don't know why (I'm too young) and don't know if I'll go the other way even worse in the winter. I just want to be ready. I can't freeze another year!

Trust me! It can hit 30 below here. We know our cold weather gear. My best finds:

1. Cuddle duds, sold in department stores here. They are like silk underwear, but much more affordable. You can get tanks, long-sleeved t-shirts, and capri length tights. Excellent and comfortable. Very washable.

2. Real Gloves! Not Walmart stuff, but the real McCoy, costing in the $30 and up range. We have an excellent sporting goods store. I had an employee work with me to find the best kind of glove for me and to size it correctly. I needed a wind-blocking one more than a water-proof one, for example. After 18 years, my fingers weren't cold in the winter. (Glove liners are cheap additions to kids gloves and you won't cry when they get lost).

3. Hot drinks, even sipping hot water will work (for those gals on diets :001_smile:).

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=long-underwear&categoryId=503057&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&nav=sub&qs=3005063&trkid=21196S72068250

I wear these...and they are so light weight, comfy and not sweaty. That's a great fit for me since I'm sensitive to a lot of things. Bulk under my regular jeans and regular clothes along with the sweaty indoor factor led me to bite the bullet and order one pair of these a few years back. Now I order at least one new piece every year and I was them right in the washer and dry them on a line or occasionally in the dryer. They do wash and dry very well, but I'm hoping to make them last and last.

My top winter layer is always fleece and our favorite jackets are Columbia. I even wear a hat, gloves and scarf here. Blech...

:scared: Winter here is so beautiful until the middle of January and then it just goes on and on and on. My family kids me about my next layer being one of those snugly blankets.:001_huh::grouphug:

I get Feet Heaters from my local farm/hunting supply store. They have stickers on the back and they stick to your socks. 1 pair lasts 8 hours. I wear them every day in the winter and it keeps the rest of my body warm, just to have my feet warm. The expense is worth my comfort (and they are not unreasonably high).

I layer silk underneath and wool on top. This is the warmest combo for me, and as long as I do that on my top and my feet, I can get away with just heavyweight jeans on my legs most of the time. I know some folks can't handle wool, but I really love it in the winter. I wear socks and woolly slippers around the house in the cold months, and I constantly have a hot drink in my hand (I figure that also helps with the dry skin issue I would otherwise get in winter).

When we lived in a cold climate (and sometimes here on cold days), I would often wear tights under my jeans inside. I would add knee-high socks over them and wear boots when going outside. Under skirts and dresses (made of heavy fabric like denim or corduroy), I'd wear leggings and tights outside or just the leggings and warm slippers or heavy socks inside. You can find decent tights, knee highs, and leggings at Walmart and Lands End.

I would definitely wear a long scarf outside that I could wrap around my head and breathe through if it was really cold. I have yet to find a pair of gloves I really like.

Thanks y'all. I'm gonna check those things out.

One concern I have is how sensorily sensitive I am. Just reading this thread made me feel short of breath! LOL

However, I am always SO cold. I've been having hot flashes (well, not flashes...they last), but I don't know why (I'm too young) and don't know if I'll go the other way even worse in the winter. I just want to be ready. I can't freeze another year!

I had hot flashes when my thyroid and adrenal glands (among others) were "burning out".

DH gets his super warm socks at TJ Maxx. They are called thermal socks and I swear they raise my body temperature. I can get away with less clothing all around if I have those socks.

Definitely see the dr.

I had been cold all my adult life, purple fingernails at 68 F etc; apparently had low level anemia (within the bounds of normal) but it bounced too low after birth of children and I ended up having to do something about it. Now I am not cold. An acquaintance had thyroid problems..her meds helped although she put on some weight.

I hate the cold. I normally layer for warmth - a long-sleeved T and a fleece zip-up for inside. A Lands-End Dory jacket for most days. All that plus a Lands-end Squall coat for the colder days when I am outside. I wear a scarf to help me breathe the cold air, a hat that covers my ears because they freeze numb before I notice, and waterproof gloves. I wear thermal long johns and/ or lined jeans, but Ski pants with thermals are best for really cold days. I wear wool ski socks because they are breathable and warm and Merrell mocs most days, but lined Rocket Dog boots when the snow is deep. I have had good results with the coats from Lands End for myself and the kids. I typically get our winter shoes locally at REI so the kis can try them on. Ski shops are great for supplies but pricey unless you buy in the spring or after Christmas.

I second the Lands' End coats!

I also buy (for all of us) the 100 weight half-zip pullovers for inside the house. We have a Siberian Husky, and this is the only fleece I've found that doesn't attract fuzz. They are awesome! Just the right weight. Even my throws-off-heat-like-a-toaster dh likes them.

but are sensitive to cold.....

what are you wearing for clothing, socks, long underwear, etc in the coldest parts of the year? Where'd you get them?

You are freezing in the DFW area? Is this just inside in air conditioned spaces or even outside? If you are freezing outside in the DFW area in the summer then I would definitely be talking to your doctor about that. I am with everyone else though. I layer and then shed whatever I need as the day goes on.