Menu

Problems with B&N educator discount?

Anyone else tried to purchase anything online and have the discount code not work?

I tried buying BFSU by Nebel and Handbook of Nature Study and couldn't get discounts for either. I called Customer Service and after being put on hold for close to 10 min, was told that neither of the books qualify for an educator's discount. Handbook of Nature Study is labeled as a textbook and textbooks don't qualify and there was no reason given for BFSU.

If those books aren't "educator" related, then what is?:mad:

I have been told that books I ordered were textbooks as well. I can't understand why an educator's discount wouldn't be good for textbooks!

One example was one of the Norton Anthologies. I only ordered it from there instead of Amazon because of the discount, and then it didn't apply. :cursing:

I just spoke with them last week about the textbook not counting.

I was told that because they already have "low" prices for textbooks you will not be able to use the discount for them. Also, the employees will not know what wills how up accepting of the discount until they try it, or they memoriaze it;).

The new educator card CAN be used for the discount online though but again you will not know what works until you try it.

When I signed on for my renewal B&N card a couple of weeks ago, the clerk brought up to me that the textbook division was exempt from the educator discount. I agree that it seems odd; however, I'm grateful for what I always have been able to purchase as discount in the stores. (The clerks sometimes give me discount for everything I hand them, even when I separate things into the "allowable" and "not allowable" piles !)

I have not yet tried the online discount purchase. Waiting until Amazon lets me down before trying it !

Don't forget that when you spend $25, free shipping kicks in for most purchases. (So I never joined the "Prime" club!)

My card did not work online yesterday either.

I landed finding the books cheaper at amazon.com plus I signed up for a free trial of amazon prime (I think I am going to like it a little too much!) so I got free shipping.

For those two purchases, Amazon is probably the lowest price you'll find.

Some Borders coupons can be used online. Shipping is free if you have it shipped to the store. That won't help you with those two books, because Amazon is still cheaper. However, if you need anything else, the current Borders online code for 30% off one item is good today and tomorrow (9/8-9/9):SLG6537K.

Can I please add my voice to this complaint? It's just so frustrating. I understand textbooks are not allowed, but I have NEVER been able to use the discount on anything other than fiction. Any ol' drivel gets the 20%, but anything half-way scholarly? Forget about it! I do NOT understand the point to this, aren't teachers supposed to stock classrooms with things other than the latest fiction novel???

Sorry.

Oh! And thank you for the Borders code jplain!

My card did not work online yesterday either.

I landed finding the books cheaper at amazon.com plus I signed up for a free trial of amazon prime (I think I am going to like it a little too much!) so I got free shipping.

Be careful, prime can be addicting. I love not having to worry about having 25.00 worth and the 2 day shipping is quite lovely.

That has to be frustrating not to be able to use the discount online, wasn't that part of the their new marketing, to be able to get online discount? :001_huh:

I asked at our local store and was told that the discount does NOT apply online. Ever.

Two stores in two states have given me that same info.

That information is out of date. B&N recently started giving out new hard plastic (like credit cards) educator cards. The ID number on those cards can be used online, and I've already done so successfully. At checkout, enter the number in the space for Member Number, and it'll be recognized as an Educator Number.

If you have one of the older cards, you'd need to go in to a store to get one of the new ones. If you'll have to go out of your way to get to a store, call first to confirm that they have the new plastic cards in stock, because there's been such a demand for them that stores have been running out.

Yeah, I'm going to go back to Amazon. I usually order from there, but then when I got the new educator's card I was all excited about trying online from B&N. (I loathe going in there with the kids, it's nightmare).

Big thumbs down to B&N from me!:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

The lady at customer service couldn't even answer when I asked what does qualify. Said she didn't know and that maybe I should ask someone at a retail location. I'm just really disappointed in the online ordering process and customer service.

I've had problems with B&N for years with the educator discount in stores. When I first started using it for home schooling 9 years ago in NV, everything was great. But since they started making you renew it annually I have had repeated problems not only with convincing them that certain books are "educational," but even with getting them to allow me to get the educator's card as a home schooler! Very rarely buy with them any more because of the attitudes I've encountered with their employees!

I was also a little frustrated that textbooks didn't apply, but I've been able to buy a number of other books with no problem (several about birding, the new The Well-Trained Mind, one on linguistics, some fiction and picture books, etc.). Since I have a B&N that's a 5-minute walk from my house, it's been worth it to me to have the educator's discount. If I had to go out of my way to drive there, I'd just stick with Amazon for everything because most everything on Amazon is at least 20 percent off.

The last time I went in, they told me that some of the new cards/numbers aren't in the system yet, which is why they weren't able to be used online. I've found my B&N to be very helpful regarding the educator discount.

What do you have to do to get the educator's discount at B&N?

Show proof that you are a teacher. This is easier in states where you have to turn in an affidavit...you just bring your affidavit to the store and show them. When I lived in IL, I couldn't get one from B&N because there was nothing to "prove" that I was a homeschooling parent.

Show proof that you are a teacher. This is easier in states where you have to turn in an affidavit...you just bring your affidavit to the store and show them. When I lived in IL, I couldn't get one from B&N because there was nothing to "prove" that I was a homeschooling parent.

The application now has a homeschooler box to check off, rather than teacher. Your mileage may vary, but the employee who gave me my card didn't ask for an ID. However, I did have my homeschool support group ID ready in case I was asked for it. If I didn't have that card, I'd have printed a free homeschooler ID card here.

More info for those interested in getting the educator discount: the B&N website lists what homeschoolers need to present as proof of homeschool status. So if your store employees are unwilling to give you a card, direct them to their own website!

Homeschooling parents.

At Enrollment and renewal homeschooling parents must provide photo ID

and a letter with the following information: family name and address;

name of homeschooling parent(s); grade level of each child being

homeschooled.

source

Yay for reasonable requirements!