Menu

I really, really, really hate romantic movies with sad endings.

Did you just see "The Time-Traveler's Wife"? :D

One movie from a long time ago that really threw me for a loop was called "Revenge" and it had Kevin Costner and Madeline Stowe in it. It was a great movie but I don't think I have ever cried as hard at the ending of a movie as I did with that one. I have a love/hate relationship with that movie.

I had to stop watching movies like that after "Titanic". I was so depressed after that movie and to make matters worse they played the Celine Dion song in every store I walked into it seemed for months afterwards and all over the radio. I have found I get too emotionally upset by movies with sad endings! I actually had to stop watching them altogether and now I mostly watch comedies. I read the Time Traveler's Wife and that was depressing enough! I know I could not handle the movie!

One movie from a long time ago that really threw me for a loop was called "Revenge" and it had Kevin Costner and Madeline Stowe in it. It was a great movie but I don't think I have ever cried as hard at the ending of a movie as I did with that one. I have a love/hate relationship with that movie.

Oh, isn't the love/hate thing with movies strange. Two of mine are Point of No Return and Smilla's Sense of Snow.

OH. MY. WORD. *Just* as I typed those out, I realized that Gabriel Byrne is in both movies *as well as* Little Women. That's it. I am never watching another movie with Gabriel Byrne.

What about City of Angels??? I rented that with a boyfriend years ago for a romantic movie night. I was SO MAD!!!!!! Grrr ...

They should put a warning on those types of movies.

Caution: This looks like a sappy romantic movie, but something horrible happens at the end and you'll feel awful after watching it.

I hate it when movies bother me for a long time afterward. I want to shake myself and tell me to get a grip. :) Bizzarely enough, it happened to me after watching Little Women. How pitiful is that?!

As someone who is still irritated with Louisa May Alcott for not letting Jo and Laurie get together, I don't think it's pitiful at all. I read the book when I was eight, so I've been upset about it for 30 years now. :tongue_smilie:

What about City of Angels??? I rented that with a boyfriend years ago for a romantic movie night. I was SO MAD!!!!!! Grrr ...

They should put a warning on those types of movies.

Caution: This looks like a sappy romantic movie, but something horrible happens at the end and you'll feel awful after watching it.

I've never seen City of Angels . . . but I've seen the German movie on which it is based. Most of the German movies I've seen are depressing.

Must agree that Nights in Rodanthe had me depressed for days afterward. City of Angels much the same. Love a good romantic "chick flic" but not one that ends on a sad note. Prince of Tides, Bridges of Madison County (although I had already read the book and new how it ended...still depressed me). I'll make sure not to see The Time Travelers Wife. :)

Guest janainaz

I'm the weird one that likes them. Two of my favorites are Message in a Bottle and Step Mom. I just think the good dose of reality is good for me - those movies make me remember this life is not forever and to appreciate the people you love. But, I think most people dislike those types of movies - my sister despises them and pretty much every other person I know does as well.

As someone who is still irritated with Louisa May Alcott for not letting Jo and Laurie get together, I don't think it's pitiful at all. I read the book when I was eight, so I've been upset about it for 30 years now. :tongue_smilie:

I thought I was the only one:huh: I am so glad to know there are other hopeless romantics out there! I began to be so discouraged with the lack of great endings,I know this will sound silly:blush:, but I would rewrite the ending in my head to make myself feel better. Hollywood has got to get better at this!

Oh yeah! Revenge WAS a GREAT movie - but so sad. Back in Costner's Glory Days!

So glad to hear others feel this way. I whipped the book across the room and stomped on it when I was done. Then, for Christmas, my mother, thinking she was doing good, got me the whole set.

To this day, I haven't read any more since Jo and Laurie didn't get together. I figure Diva, whose a bit more passionate than I, may set it on fire. Hmmm. I'll bring marshmellows. :D

Everytime I watch Romeo and Juliet or Wuthering Heights I hope the ending will be different. Of course, it never is.

When I read Black Beauty as a kid I was mad at the world for months. Actually, I still am. I know that BB did end up with the original owner, but it wasn't until, what, like 20 years later? That just didn't seem fair to me! Not to get reunited until the last years of the horse's life? Nope, not fair at all.

The worst I can remember in recent memory is "Premonition" with Sandra Bullock, just when you think it will end well the whole thing goes up in smoke. I was so mad, I hardly ever get to the theater, and I hate dropping almost $10 for nothing!

I have a friend who won't read or watch anything remotely fiction.. I know it boggles the mind. I always tell her that I get enough of "real" life most days and who doesn't want a little feel good sappy romance injected into the mix?

I was devastated when Jo rejected Laurie and was more upset about that than Beth. I later read Little Men and Jo's Boys and realized that Jo made the right choice. Seriously! She and Professor Bhaer are perfect for each other, so don't be hating! ;)

Edited by WordGirl

Oh I know what you mean! Someone suggested to my dh that we watch 'The Notebook' as a date night movie. Gaaahhhhh, we were both sobbing at the end. It's not that it's sad, it's sweet and right...and oh so emotional.

NOT a good date night movie for me. ;)

I never, and I mean never, watch anything written by Nicolas Sparks any more. I read Message in a Bottle and hated the way it ended. Give me Nora Roberts for a feel good read and ending!!!!

LOL, reading Little Women and Gone with The Wind as a young person taught me that love isn't easy.

Must agree that Nights in Rodanthe had me depressed for days afterward. City of Angels much the same. Love a good romantic "chick flic" but not one that ends on a sad note. Prince of Tides, Bridges of Madison County (although I had already read the book and new how it ended...still depressed me). I'll make sure not to see The Time Travelers Wife. :)

ALL of those movies were depressing to me as well. Some others are Sommersby with Richard Gere, and My Life with Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidmon. After My Life I was crying so hard I thought I was going to hyperventilate.

What about The Joy Luck Club? Oh.my. Sobbing! I hadn't read the book before watching it and it hit me completely out of left field. Ah, but with mothers and daughters I guess I shoulda known!

The movie I cried hardest at, and sat in a dark room for many hours afterwards crying (still can't think about it too much) was Schindler's List. But of course I knew that would happen.

I'm the weird one that likes them. Two of my favorites are Message in a Bottle and Step Mom. I just think the good dose of reality is good for me - those movies make me remember this life is not forever and to appreciate the people you love. But, I think most people dislike those types of movies - my sister despises them and pretty much every other person I know does as well.

I'm not much for seeing movies these days so haven't seen (am not even aware of) many of the movies mentioned in this thread. However, I read Message in a Bottle, and was terribly sad it ended the way it did. I expected a happy ending. While it made me think along the lines of your post, janainaz (appreciating life, people, etc.), I STILL wanted a different ending because I read his books for escape, so it was disappointing. Since reading that, I am always wary of Nicholas Sparks' books. I just finished Choices and all the way through I wondered if it would be a happy ending or not. I won't tell for those who may want to read it . . .

I was SO MAD at the end of Sommersby, with Jody Foster and Richard Gere. The end made me wish I hadn't seen it at all; what a waste of time!

Mary

For years strangers and friends alike would come up to me and ask if anyone ever told me I looked like Jody Foster. Uh, yeah, all the time, but especially during the Silence of the Lamb and Sommersby years because we had similar hair styles. I used to kinda flick it off, then Jody made the cover of People the most beautiful woman of the year. I must look JUST like her, don't you think? :tongue_smilie:

So...when Sommersby came out one of my friends was furious at the ending. She said, not only did does JF look like you but the character was a lot like you...I KNOW you could have found another way.

LOL When I watched I was so sad, but convinced the story had to end the way it did.

I want HAPPY romantic stories. I also want romance, not necessarily s*x. There is a difference in story lines.

I was devastated when Jo rejected Laurie and was more upset about that than Beth. I later read Little Men and Jo's Boys and realized that Jo made the right choice. Seriously! She and Professor Bhaer are perfect for each other, so don't be hating! ;)

I read Little Men. (I think I read all of LMA's books.) I'm still not convinced.

Little Women was originally published in two parts. There was so much outcry over Jo being alone after the first part, that LMA wrote the professor into the second part to give her a love interest. From what I've read, LMA self-identified with Jo and since LMA was a spinster she just couldn't imagine Jo and Laurie together.

Nope. Still irritated.:lol:

Count me in! I HATE romantic movies with sad endings!!! The last one I saw was Cold Mountain. It seriously affected me for DAYS. I saw it while dh was away on a fishing trip with our boys, and all I could think about was him getting home so I'd know he was ALIVE. What a horrible, horrible heart-wrenching movie (horrible). I now ask, "Does it have a sad ending?" If yes, then I don't want to see it. My ds and friend saw 500 days of Summer. He informed me that I won't want to see it...not because the ending is sad per say, but because after those 500 stinkin' days with Summer, he ends up with Autumn! :lol: Yeah, no thanks!

I also completely relate with the frustration of Little Women. I loved the book, love the movie even...just hate who Jo ends up with. :tongue_smilie: What was LMA smokin' anyhow? :001_huh::confused:

And don't get me started on Message in a Bottle. I'm still mad at Kevin Costner for allowing himself to be a part of that crying jag...and then getting PAID for it! :glare::lol:

Edited by Melissa in CA