Menu

Who knows about the Amish?

We have a community of Amish, fairly new around here. A couple of weeks ago I brought one of my (going to be really hard to train because she's a spooky half Arab)ponies to them to be cart trained.

All I know about the Amish is what I learned from the movie "Witness". Nice places, spotlessly clean, well manicured. I guess I should have known. This place was very............farmy. As in a really dirty barn, unmowed yard, falling down house, really kind of sad.

Two young families live there, I think one in a corner of the barn turned into a room. The women and children are barefoot and walk in the poopy mushy stuff in the barn. Their teeth look very bad for women so young. The children are always dirty.

Now I don't have a problem with dirty children. It looks to me though that they would/could pick up all sorts of nasty germs or viruses or something. Walking barefoot in animal manure can't be healthy.

They are all very friendly. The women sit and talk to me and the kids are precious. One very little girl patted my jeans. She was probably wondering why I didn't have a dress on. Really cute.

On the way home I drove the scenic route, and saw some Amish homes that were much better looking. It really bothered me for my Amish lady friends and their children.

I guess I just had a Hollywood version stuck in my head.

I lived in Lancaster for awhile. The reality is not nearly as cinematic as the films....

The thing that got me was the older women with the inch-wide strip down the parts in their hair; they'd lost all the hair in the middle from pulling it so tightly into their braids and buns all their lives.

Yes, the teeth are awful, conditions on the farm can be awful, the flies are awful...

I had one horse friend tell me that my pony would be fine there, and someone else said not to ever send your horses to them because they were so rough on them. Fable was already there when I heard this.

I checked on her after a week and she had a huge gash in her side. No one seemed to be able to explain it. I ran to the vet, came back and gave her a tetnus and antibiotic shot and left some spray, all the while worrying if I should just load her up and bring her home. Went again today and the wound was healing and looked good. Now I know stuff happens with horses............anyhow, I left her there.

They have a sweet little mama dog there I want to rescue. Very thin.

I can only speak of the Amish I come in contact with. The women and children are often bare foot on the farm. Their homes and farm are often rather run down looking. They are all friendly to me in our dealings.

I probably would be concerned leaving animals with them, but this is through no personal experience. I have *heard* they are cruel to dogs and their dogs are all rather submissive on my approach. I have not heard of problems in our area, but I know there have been raids on Amish puppy mills in Ohio, which is just south of us.

It may be nothing, but I'd check on the pony frequently, especially since a gash did suddenly turn up.

Hope it turns out to be nothing!

I am pretty interested in the Amish. I have read many books about them, I visit Holmes Cty. every year and I have personally talked to Amish. Their are certain groups of Amish that live very differently than others. The Schwartzentreuber are a good example of this. I have personally seen them. Wikipedia says...

Other Old Order groups who pride themselves on beauty and neatness of their properties, point to the unkempt farms and front yards of the Swartzentruber. It is suggested that the Swartzentrubers see this interest in appearance as too worldly.

See full article below. ~Michelle

Swartzentruber Amish

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Swartzentruber Amish are an Old Order Amish sect that formed as the result of a division that occurred among the Holmes County, Ohio, Amish in 1917. The bishop who broke away was Sam E. Yoder. The Swartzentruber name was applied later, named after bishop Samuel Swartzentruber who succeeded him. There are five districts of Swartzentruber in Holmes County and Wayne County, where the subgroup originated. Now there are groups of Swartzentruber Amish settled in 15 other states, with the largest group in the U.S. located in Wisconsin's Bluff Country.

Swartzentruber Amish use reflective tape on the back of their buggies, in place of bright triangular slow moving signs for road travel, which they regard as too worldly. These buggies will also sport lanterns, rather than battery-operated lights, or reflectors.[1] The lanterns are also often staggered, one side slightly higher than the other, so as not to appear like the tail lights of a vehicle. There have been several court cases across the country where the state and county challenged the local Swartzentruber group to use the regulation orange triangle. So far, even as far as the federal supreme court, the Amish have prevailed, although statistics suggest that in areas where these groups exist, accidents involving buggies are more prevalent.

Like some other Old Order groups, they avoid the use of electricity and indoor plumbing. Many other common devices and technologies are also disallowed for being too worldly including buttons, Velcro, bicycles and more. Swartzentruber Amish speak Pennsylvania German, and are considered a subgroup of the Old Order Amish, although they do not fellowship or intermarry with more liberal Old Order Amish.

Other Old Order groups who pride themselves on beauty and neatness of their properties, point to the unkempt farms and front yards of the Swartzentruber. It is suggested that the Swartzentrubers see this interest in appearance as too worldly. Their farms can be identified by dirt drives and surrounding roads, while most roads of the Old Order contain either gravel or paving to keep out the mud. The houses and outbuildings of the Swartzentruber often sport tin roofs. The clothing differs from that of the other Old Order Amish is subtle ways: all colors are dark and somber rather than the bright blues and mauves; more common is navy, dark burgundy, and even gray. Men frequently wear a single suspender to avoid what is seen as the pride of two. The dresses of the women, rather than reaching mid-calf, usually reach to the top of the shoes. The tack on the horses and buggies is often all black, rather than brown leather.

We're no experts, but we do regular business with Amish. DH hauls firewood for an Amish sawmill, we hire them for odd jobs and to put up hay, and they come over to fish in our pond. Sounds uncharacteristic for them to be dirty. The ones we know start out the day clean and neat. And often end up looking pretty good when they're done. The children I've seen have all been very clean and neat. Lots of bare feet and smiles ;^) Their houses and gardens are usually neat and well done, at least around here, but the yards are occasionally sort of rough or cluttered.

I wonder about how the legs hold up on their buggy horses, but they're well cared for (at least the ones we know). Would I let them handle my horses- well I'm not sure. I have Arabian stallions too, and I'm not sure how well the two would mix. I'd have to know them pretty well. (But then, there are plenty of non Amish that I wouldn't trust with my animals either!) I do know someone who sent their beloved young stallion to an Amish trainer for harness training and was very happy with how things worked out. He was well cared for and well handled.

We hauled a buggy team from IA to CO for an Amish family and the first thing they did was check them over closely as soon as we unloaded. And then watered and walked them. They also asked us to bring their dog to them in the same load and they were all thrilled to have their pet. The dog was in good shape and overjoyed to see them too. The mom seemed almost choked up with joy. Really nice folks.

I've heard stories about Amish puppy mills and I do believe that might be true in some cases. I've also seen some really ugly puppy mills that weren't Amish.

I think they come in all types, just like nonAmish do. Some are more strict, others fun and easy going. There quite a few sects that are different, but still Amish. The majority we meet are quite neat, hard working and friendly once you get to know them. Maybe you just found a lazy bunch?

Edited by skai

My paternal grandparents left the Amish church after they were married. My maternal grandparents were Mennonite. The Amish broke off the Mennonite church, so they are brothers in a way. We moved when I was almost 10 and there wasn't a Mennonite church close by, so I certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert. My mother's family is from Bucks, Co. Pennsylvania. The Mennonites there have beautiful, well-kept farms. I think, like with most populations, there is a general appearance to an area. I've seen run down areas and beautiful areas.

I read some things written about the Amish on the other thread. Some people thought they were unfriendly. How would you react if people stopped their cars to take pictures of you, asked intrusive questions because they were curious about the Amish (not interested in you as a person), and felt free to judge your way of life? Many Amish are exposed to inappropriate curiousity over and over again.

I visited a Mennonite church with my in-laws. My MIL bought peaches from a Mennonite orchard. She knew my family history and thought it would be fun to visit the church. It was a stricted Mennonite church with no musical instruments. Men and women sat on opposite sides of the church. Everyone wore traditional clothing. After the service, my MIL was telling her friend from the orchard that my family were Mennonite and Amish. They asked who I was. I mentioned that my grandfather was the youngest son of M.T. The lady said, "Oh, you must be B. and R.'s granddaughter." Turns out that some of the kids running around were my Amish third-cousins. The Amish and Mennonites have a fairly complete, close society within themselves. But, even before they found out who I was, they were very friendly. It is not uncommon for a family to make extra for Sunday lunch so that they can invite visitors to dine with them.

I live near a large Amish community. I don't know what they are like at home, but I've never seen any Amish without shoes or unclean children. Where we live they are always very clean and neat. They do tend to keep to themselves.

Most of the people that I know that have had encounters with the Amish say that they are very pleasant and nice. My step-grandmother however had a knack for annoying them and getting rude treatment from the women. I can understand that though, she has that affect on people, myself included.

I would imagine, that like the rest of us, they come in different varieties; friendly and unfriendly, neat and clean and dirty, happy and grumpy.

I guess I just had a Hollywood version stuck in my head.

Hollywood is not a good source of factual information.

I don't know nuthin about horses, but I can tell you a bit about the Amish lifestyle.

My parents live in N. IN Amish country, in the "strictest" area of that region of Amish. Their property backs up to an Amish farm, and my mother is friendly with many of the Amish community ladies.

The Amish vary. Some are quite poor, especially when they are just starting out with their own families. If/when the family can get an income stream going, their lot will improve gradually. It takes a lot of time and labor to keep a farm looking picture-postcard tidy and prosperous. Young families don't typically have the werewithal to do that unless they get a big infusion of help from their extended family.

Didn't you say your area's Amish community is fairly new? I'd expect them to be on the less prosperous side from the get-go. After all, who's gonna make that kind of move to a new settlement -- not someone who's comfortable where they are.

As for medical/dental -- that varies widely also. In my mother's area, there are plenty of coop type medical clinics and the Amish are quite healthy. In cases of emergency, they really band together. Mom's neighbors had a baby who spent his first 6 months in the regional children's hospital having beaucoup surgeries. He's fine now, but they really had to call upon their community for help with that, as you can imagine. That same family also had their house burn down (a different year!) and the community helped them build a better house on the same foundation.

Again, in a new community establishment, they probably haven't built up the medical resources yet.

Barefoot in the barn -- that's just traditional farm life. Not limited to the Amish. My mother lived her childhood that way, and they certainly were not Amish!

Dogs .. ugh. My dh was bitten while jogging past an Amish farm. He carries pepper spray now. But again, that's more a farm culture issue than Amish-specific.

HTH,

Karen

The Amish near us live in very "kept" homes - at least on the outside. Around their homes they seem to be barefoot but when they are out around town they usually have shoes. I've never noticed them being dirty. I imagine it varies from person to person.

When we lived in Maryland we were right next to the Amish community there and dd would play with their little girls at the park. The Amish I knew, while b.o. was an issue, were very tidy. The same for their farms.

It must be a depends on where you are thing, because the Amish I knew there were very clean, courteous people and I never saw them harming (or had any reason to believe they would harm) any animals.

Barefoot in the barn -- that's just traditional farm life. Not limited to the Amish. My mother lived her childhood that way, and they certainly were not Amish!

Dogs .. ugh. My dh was bitten while jogging past an Amish farm. He carries pepper spray now. But again, that's more a farm culture issue than Amish-specific.

HTH,

Karen

Yes, that would be my impression, as well. The Amish families we see on a regular basis are generally clean, house and yards tidy, but they're farmers, so there is some mud/dookie around in the yard, the kids can get filthy by supper time, the dogs are barn dwelling, not 4-legged children like ours. Typical farm life.

And my kids are usually covered in mud and horse/cow poo when we leave after picking up our milk, because they're playing in the barn and "helping" with barn chores. I just wash them when we get home, as I'm sure happens when her kids come in for the evening.

ETA: I think our friends would probably be considered "liberal" Amish, though I've never asked.

We have communities near us that we visit and buy baskets from etc...they have always been clean and well kept.....sounds atypical from our experience. As far as your horse, I would not let them do cart training...UNLESS I was there for at least 2 hours of their 'training'....you can tell in that amount of time for their 'true' colors to come out if they are apt to be abusive...I would never leave a horse somewhere that I did not know how they trained. You could end up with a very serious issue that will one day explode on you and you never knew where it came from. I'm VERY cautious because I just spent 18 months desensitizing a TWH after years of abuse at hands of his previous owners...it's like peeling back layers and layers of issues...some we may always have to deal with but 80% of them have slowly given way to love and trust....not knowing how they're training your horse is something I would not risk, especially with the gash, that's a red flag...things happen, but that soon??

Let us know how it goes!

Tara

We have communities near us that we visit and buy baskets from etc...they have always been clean and well kept.....sounds atypical from our experience. As far as your horse, I would not let them do cart training...UNLESS I was there for at least 2 hours of their 'training'....you can tell in that amount of time for their 'true' colors to come out if they are apt to be abusive...I would never leave a horse somewhere that I did not know how they trained. You could end up with a very serious issue that will one day explode on you and you never knew where it came from. I'm VERY cautious because I just spent 18 months desensitizing a TWH after years of abuse at hands of his previous owners...it's like peeling back layers and layers of issues...some we may always have to deal with but 80% of them have slowly given way to love and trust....not knowing how they're training your horse is something I would not risk, especially with the gash, that's a red flag...things happen, but that soon??

Let us know how it goes!

Tara

I really wasn't even considering it but I got glowing recs from a horse lady I know that is even more psychotic about her horses than I am about mine. She assures me it'll be fine, and I really trust her.

He seems to understand Fable's "Arabian issues", and she's progressing well.