Menu

Adult dog vs. puppies

We have never adopted an adult dog, but there is a beautiful Great Pyrense/Yellow Lab for adoption at our local rescue shelter. Here is a link. Scroll down to Colby, about the 9th or 10th one on the page. He is about 5 years old and great with kids and other dogs. And they are pretty sure he is house broken. This is a great rescue organization and they are very good about putting the right dog with the right family. My mother works with the founder of the organization, Nancy. Nancy thinks this dog will be a great fit for our family.

We have been looking for a large dog for a while. I just can't imagine getting a puppy right now. I hate house training!! I am just worried about him bonding to us. So can anyone give me the pros and cons of getting an adult dog. Thanks!!

Go for it!

I foster for rescues & both of my own dogs came to me as adults - one was 3, one was almost 6.

Dogs are amazingly forgiving creatures & will absolutely bond to their new owners. A good positive rewards training class will help secure the bond & establish a good working relationship.

here's a cute video to encourage you:

http://hmsindefatigable.blogspot.com/2007/09/oh-yeah-im-super-cool.html

Its not something we're willing to risk, due to young kids (almost 3 and 4) and me being disabled. For us, a puppy that we could train from the start made more sense.

There are, of course, TONNES of folks that get an adult dog and have wonderful relationships with them.

It comes down strictly to personal reasons and preferences. There's no wrong answer. Do what you and your dh believe right for your family, and it will be :001_smile:

would be that larger dogs have shorter life spans, as a rule. My sister has a Great Pyr and absolutely adores her (and she was a rescue dog too). I understand Great Pyrs don't have as short a life span as some of the other really large breeds, but still .... 10 years is not enough for a dog you love, and if this dog is already 5, that's something to think about.

I know he's a mix, and he could, of course, live to be much older. You will find pure bred Pyrs who live much longer, and I have a friend whose Lab lived to be 18!

But I would think about it, particularly since they don't really know how old this dog is. He could be older than 5, right?

I hate to be a kill joy and bring this up, but it's just the thing that I would think about.

My sister's dog is just the sweetest, calmest girl, though, and super snuggley. We all love her.

would be that larger dogs have shorter life spans, as a rule. My sister has a Great Pyr and absolutely adores her (and she was a rescue dog too). I understand Great Pyrs don't have as short a life span as some of the other really large breeds, but still .... 10 years is not enough for a dog you love, and if this dog is already 5, that's something to think about.

I know he's a mix, and he could, of course, live to be much older. You will find pure bred Pyrs who live much longer, and I have a friend whose Lab lived to be 18!

But I would think about it, particularly since they don't really know how old this dog is. He could be older than 5, right?

I hate to be a kill joy and bring this up, but it's just the thing that I would think about.

My sister's dog is just the sweetest, calmest girl, though, and super snuggley. We all love her.

That was one reason why we went with ASD's instead of some other LGD breeds. ASD's tend to have a much longer life span with few health issues.

Now, onto the other points. We have in the past rescued and taken in fosters and rehomes of varying ages. Our oldest was a 9 year old female who passed away July 2008. We will still mourn her. Our 2 males that we have now, my terrier will be ~20 years old in Sept. and is the BEST child's dog ever.

My male ASD was brought in as a foster at 2 years of age and went through heck with us from losing our house in the flood and so he stayed. He is great.

If the director feels it would be a good match, I would meet him in a heartbeat. Have fun!:001_smile:

Just thought I'd mention that our new (13 week old) pup still gets me up at night - sometimes twice. He's a darling little guy, but what with the accidents and the chewing and the "Constant Vigilance" I'd certainly be open to an adult rescue.

One of my good friend always rescues older dogs for her family. Their dogs have all been calm and relatively well trained, and have bonded beautifully, which works great for a HSing family with lots of young kids.

Yes, I think that you may really think about the disadvantages here. Your patience may not be able to be stretched as much. You may not get to have your carpet cleaned because of accidents. The may not jump on you. :-) We adopted our pup (all 65 lbs of him) when he was 2yrs or so.... He's great...and Hornblower, we fee him no wheat! IF he didn't self-feed which means that any food lying on the counter all down....that is unattended...gets chowed down on! If we could break that habit....he'd be perfect!

Carrie

We have adopted 3 older dogs through either the Humane Society or Rescue and they have all been wonderful. We have adopted from a one year old to an eight year old (all of them Boxers) and they have been each one a wonderful addition to the family. I only had one of them make a mistake one time piddling in hte house (her first day here), and the rest never made any bathroom errors at all. They have all been housedogs (we have two of them now, the oldest made it (the nearly 8 yr old) 4 years before we lost her to cancer). I am a big fan of taking in an older dog.

I'm in favour of adult dogs myself. We adopted ours when she was between 4 and 7 (no one knew her real age). She was housetrained, friendly and not high energy - perfect for us. And she bonded big time with all of us and my husband in particular. I watched my parents go through training a puppy last year and have had to puppy sit a nippy, leaking, hyper little ball of fluff and it made me soooooo glad we choose a grown dog.

We have never adopted an adult dog, but there is a beautiful Great Pyrense/Yellow Lab for adoption at our local rescue shelter. Here is a link. Scroll down to Colby, about the 9th or 10th one on the page. He is about 5 years old and great with kids and other dogs. And they are pretty sure he is house broken. This is a great rescue organization and they are very good about putting the right dog with the right family. My mother works with the founder of the organization, Nancy. Nancy thinks this dog will be a great fit for our family.

We have been looking for a large dog for a while. I just can't imagine getting a puppy right now. I hate house training!! I am just worried about him bonding to us. So can anyone give me the pros and cons of getting an adult dog. Thanks!!

We adopted our oldest 2 1/2 yrs ago and she was 2. She is VERY bonded to our family and a very sweet dog.

As far as I can figure she was rescued from puppy mill and she really doesn't know how to play. She simply does not know how nor have we ever been able to teach her but she loves us, follows me around to every room and has her head on my lap for an ear rub any time she thinks she can get by with it.

When we bought our two labradoodles it was quite a shock to her. I had never heard her growl until then. LOL. She has adjusted though and they think she is their mother.

I will say it took her a little over a year to adjust to our two children. She was NEVER cross with them but afraid of them and any other children that came to our house. She love our two and no longer runs from them but she still will hide when other children come. Not sure what happened in her fore life that has her this way. I pretty much make other kids leave her alone as when they do force the issue she just sits and shakes, poor thing.

I would not hesitate in adopting an adult dog again though. She is such a sweety.

UPDATE: We didn't end up getting Colby because he was actually between 6-8 yrs old, and had just had a suspicious lump removed. They were waiting on the pathology before he would be adoptable. Hopefully he won't have cancer, and he can find a forever home to spend his last years!

However, we did get a beautiful sweet wonderful boy!! If you click here and scroll down to Odie (number 26 on the page), you can see him. He is a border collie/shepherd mix. He is so calm and trusting! He is also housebroken and loves my kids!! I am so happy!!!

UPDATE: We didn't end up getting Colby because he was actually between 6-8 yrs old, and had just had a suspicious lump removed. They were waiting on the pathology before he would be adoptable. Hopefully he won't have cancer, and he can find a forever home to spend his last years!

However, we did get a beautiful sweet wonderful boy!! If you click here and scroll down to Odie (number 26 on the page), you can see him. He is a border collie/shepherd mix. He is so calm and trusting! He is also housebroken and loves my kids!! I am so happy!!!

You know what, I was going to mention him to you. I saw his eyes and thought you got a match. Too funny!

Big congrats and will think good thoughts for Colby to have neg. results and to find a good home.

Have fun!

Allene

He is so handsome!!!

And he's a great mix also. Border Collies and Shepherd's are both great with kids.

Enjoy your new guy!

He is handsome, and sounds like a great dog! When we adopted our collie he was six and a half years old. We have had him for five + years, and he is a fantastic dog -- devoted to and completely patient with the children and very bonded to all of us. He is the first adult dog I ever adopted, but I don't think I will ever have a puppy again! He arrived in our home fully housebroken, not chewing things up, and with an established track record of being good with children.

*Ooops! I should have read through all the posts before posting myself. Still, I'm so glad you got a good dog!

Edited by Melora in NC
Missed information in the thread.