Menu

Non toxic deodorants?

I'm on the search for a non toxic deodorant that actually works. I haven't found one yet, so I've been using baking soda. Surprisingly, it's working okay. I saw a recipe to add cornstarch because the baking soda can be irritating and I think it might add an antipersperant effect too. (not sure about that) I'm also going to add some essential oils for fragrance. If anyone has a natural, non toxic deodorant that they swear, please share! I would also like to know what your dh's use. Guys sweat more and stink and my dh is reluctant to try something that won't keep him from sweating and stinking. :)

I use the salt crystals like this: http://www.thecrystal.com/, but I realize that some people don't think they work. I use the rock crystal type, and it works well for me. It took about a week before it worked right; it was as though my body was so accustomed to the chemical deodorants/antiperspirants that my body had to get used to not having them anymore. Basically, I'm saying to give it a week or so before giving up. At first I had to apply it twice daily, but now I only have to apply it once daily.

I use the fragrance-free Liquid Rock roll-on from Kiss My Face brand (bought at Target; they also sell it on Drugstore.com). I have really sensitive skin and it's one of the few deodorants that doesn't leave me scratching my pits like a monkey all day long! ;)

Dh just uses alcohol and has for years. It works by killing the bacteria that cause the odor. It doesn't stop sweating, but you need to sweat. The reason anti-perspirants work is by clogging up the sweat ducts, and that is unhealthy; I've even read that iclogging the ducts may cause breast cancer in women, because the drainage is hindered.

Anyhooo--alcohol works very well for odor.:D

Edited by Tracy in Ky

I used to use Tom's and found it worked very well. About a year ago I decided to try the rock thingy (I think it is mineral salt?) because I liked the idea of less packaging/plastic and I love it. I still have the same rock, so it's economical to boot. I'm sticking with it!

Go to Vitacost.com and look up Alvera roll on deodorant. Its the best, just read the comments! We've tried almost every organic deodorant out there! Just a side note... I rarely wear any deodorant in the winter and I dont smell. Alot of times if you cleanse your body and wean yourself from the deodorants you will be suprised at how little you actually smell.

Best bet is to buy a product from a company which has signed the compact discussed here:

http://www.safecosmetics.org/section.php?id=51

from National Geographic: Avoid deodorants that contain these types of ingredients: antibacterials, diethanolamine (DEA), formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, fragrance and parabens. According to National Geographic The Green Guide, these types of ingredients are on the "Dirty Dozen Chemicals in Cosmetics" list.

There are several parabens used in unsafe cosmetics and deodorants.

Also avoid aluminum, triclosan (an old antibacterial) and talc.

Crystal and all the other natural type things didn't work for me.

But Funk Butter does! I've used it since last year this time. It does take me a week after going from aluminum containing stuff to this to work. I think the body over-produces when you first take that away. But then this works no matter the heat for me.

http://oyinhandmade.com/oyin/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

http://centralfloridagreenguide.com/2008/07/28/funk-butter-natural-deodorant-that-works/ I got this blog hit when I googled to find the website. I'm linking it because the only complaint I've ever heard about this (I did a lot of research because I was having so much trouble finding one that worked for me) was that some people with sensitive skin get a rash from the baking soda and this blog has lots of replies with ideas for that if someone has sensitive skin. I've never had that issue but looks like it's still workable for senstive skin types too.

Really ??? Spread Bragg's in ones "pits" ??? I drink Bragg's mixed in water, but never thought of this alternative use ! I would anticipate smelling rather peculiar to folks nearby. (rather like the embarrassing time in college, when I was running very late to a class, so washed my acne-face with Listerine ! )

I have heard (and plan to try myself) that apple cider vinegar works. Not the purified you get at the grocery, but the unfiltered type by a co. like Bragg's that you'd find at a health food store.

I don't post often, but thought I'd pipe in that I've tried vinegar and it does work. It doesn't have to be unfiltered, though, because it is the acidity that kills the bacteria. Lemon juice is used in the same way in Asia. I use lemon juice for deodorant everyday, and have to say that it is the best solution I've found. Fresh from the lemon works best, but bottled works too. For some reason, though, those little lemon shaped bottles that you can buy in the produce department don't work as well as lemon juice in glass jars :confused:.

Sarah (from lurking)

I'm no chemist, to say the least ! But the posts have turned out really interesting !

We have votes for baking soda [alkaline], because it neutralizes the body odor.

We have votes for vinegar [acidic], because it does similar.

Both methods have anecdotal evidence for working.

:confused: I'm confused !

I don't post often, but thought I'd pipe in that I've tried vinegar and it does work. It doesn't have to be unfiltered, though, because it is the acidity that kills the bacteria. Lemon juice is used in the same way in Asia. I use lemon juice for deodorant everyday, and have to say that it is the best solution I've found. Fresh from the lemon works best, but bottled works too. For some reason, though, those little lemon shaped bottles that you can buy in the produce department don't work as well as lemon juice in glass jars :confused:.

Sarah (from lurking)

I make my own facial astringent by adding tea tree oil to witch hazel. After I saturate the cotton round and use it on my face and neck....there is still lots of good astringent on the cotton round, so.....

I started using it under my arms because I know that tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties. And, wow. After just a few days I could tell a difference in lack of body odor 'smell', kwim?

Then, I made my own powder deodorant by mixing:

1/4 c. corn starch

1/4 c. baking soda

15 drops of lavender essential oil

Store in a Tupperware container so it doesn't spill and make a mess. The one I use is the size that a powder puff fits in it.

I put my fingers in it and mixed it up really good. Lavender oil also has antimicrobial properties, and the big plus to me....I love the smell!

So:

Step 1) Clean out pits with cotton round saturated in tea tree oil/witch hazel mixture

Let dry

Step 2) Use fingers OR powder puff to apply thin layer of homemade deodorant powder. Cover surface of pit thoroughly. If put on properly you won't be able to see it.

This works very, very well for me and it smells heavenly! AND it's very cheap (affordable). No more purchasing those personal care items for me.

I think I may try the bottled lemon juice suggestion. What *I* use lemon juice for is my face. It's a terrific anti-wrinkle solution. I use this after I apply the homemade astringent.

Personally, I LOVE making my own personal care products from natural sources without the chemicals. I find they work SO much better than the junk we are paying tons of $$$ for.

What I'd really like to find is a good, homemade shampoo and condition recipe that does NOT use baking soda OR vinegar. Those are just nasty on my hair.

Oh, and I use just plain baking soda to brush my teeth as well. Just had a great one-year check up at the dentist :-)

I'm enjoying reading all these suggestions. What a great thread!

Oh! I have a great recipe for deodorant. Read it on another HS forum, and it was a miracle for me. I have tried every natural deodorant I have seen, and none of them are effective for me. I tried this recipe, and I have NO odor whatsoever with it. It's truly miraculous to me. It's super easy to make, and you may have all the ingredients in your pantry already:

1/4 cup baking soda

1/4 cup corn starch

5-6 Tablespoons coconut oil

(some people substitute arrowroot powder for the corn starch, if their skin doesn't tolerate corn starch). I just mixed it all in a bowl with a fork, then put it in a container with a lid. To apply, you just put your fingers in, and then rub it in under your arm--kind of paint it on to cover the whole surface. It totally disappears, and hasn't left any residue on my clothes. People in really hot areas have said theirs is completely liquid right now, but they just dip a finger in, and make sure they dip down to the bottom to get some of all the mixture.

I have found my skin doesn't like it much if I use it right after shaving. I might try it with the arrowroot when I mix up my next batch, but I somehow think the baking soda is more what causes the post-shaving irritation.

Hope that helps!

Kirsten

I found this recipe too. I haven't mixed in the cornstarch yet, but have been using the baking soda and it has really worked the last few days. I didn't think about adding coconut oil. It might make it easier to apply. I've been using a cotton ball in the baking soda and applying it like baby powder. It's worked fine, but I can see how the coconut oil makes it more like real deodorant.

I make my own facial astringent by adding tea tree oil to witch hazel. After I saturate the cotton round and use it on my face and neck....there is still lots of good astringent on the cotton round, so.....

I started using it under my arms because I know that tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties. And, wow. After just a few days I could tell a difference in lack of body odor 'smell', kwim?

Then, I made my own powder deodorant by mixing:

1/4 c. corn starch

1/4 c. baking soda

15 drops of lavender essential oil

Store in a Tupperware container so it doesn't spill and make a mess. The one I use is the size that a powder puff fits in it.

I put my fingers in it and mixed it up really good. Lavender oil also has antimicrobial properties, and the big plus to me....I love the smell!

So:

Step 1) Clean out pits with cotton round saturated in tea tree oil/witch hazel mixture

Let dry

Step 2) Use fingers OR powder puff to apply thin layer of homemade deodorant powder. Cover surface of pit thoroughly. If put on properly you won't be able to see it.

This works very, very well for me and it smells heavenly! AND it's very cheap (affordable). No more purchasing those personal care items for me.

I think I may try the bottled lemon juice suggestion. What *I* use lemon juice for is my face. It's a terrific anti-wrinkle solution. I use this after I apply the homemade astringent.

Personally, I LOVE making my own personal care products from natural sources without the chemicals. I find they work SO much better than the junk we are paying tons of $$$ for.

What I'd really like to find is a good, homemade shampoo and condition recipe that does NOT use baking soda OR vinegar. Those are just nasty on my hair.

Oh, and I use just plain baking soda to brush my teeth as well. Just had a great one-year check up at the dentist :-)

I'm enjoying reading all these suggestions. What a great thread!

Your recipe is the exact one I was going to try. I'm waiting on my Young Living order and then I was going to add lavendar to my baking soda/cornstarch mix. I'm glad to know it's good. I figured it would smell good and be beneficial. I don't know if I can do baking soda for brushing teeth. My dad had us do it a few times growing up and I absolutely hated it! I do use the Thieves toothpast and mouthwash from YL, though, and have heard great testimonials from using it, so hopefully that will work well. All the non toxic shampoos I've tried don't work for me after awhile either. Again, I've ordered some YL shampoo and will use it sparingly ($18.95 a bottle!). I'm going to get a pump and fill it with 1/3 shampoo and 2/3 water and mix. I've been told the shampoo is so thick that this is actually the best way to use it. Good thing because I go through shampoo quickly, too quick to replace a $20 bottle!

Crystal and all the other natural type things didn't work for me.

But Funk Butter does! I've used it since last year this time. It does take me a week after going from aluminum containing stuff to this to work. I think the body over-produces when you first take that away. But then this works no matter the heat for me.

http://oyinhandmade.com/oyin/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

http://centralfloridagreenguide.com/2008/07/28/funk-butter-natural-deodorant-that-works/ I got this blog hit when I googled to find the website. I'm linking it because the only complaint I've ever heard about this (I did a lot of research because I was having so much trouble finding one that worked for me) was that some people with sensitive skin get a rash from the baking soda and this blog has lots of replies with ideas for that if someone has sensitive skin. I've never had that issue but looks like it's still workable for senstive skin types too.

I've heard good things about Funk Butter.

I'm no chemist, to say the least ! But the posts have turned out really interesting !

We have votes for baking soda [alkaline], because it neutralizes the body odor.

We have votes for vinegar [acidic], because it does similar.

Both methods have anecdotal evidence for working.

:confused: I'm confused !

I think they are only saying apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is unique in that it is the only vinegar that is alkaline, not acidic.

Melissa

I buy mine from Etsy.com (online marketplace for people who make things by hand and sell their creations), from a seller called Gudonyatoo. The deodorant is called "Stinky No More," is all natural, handmade, comes in a variety of scents, and works really well for me. It's about $6 a tube plus shipping (same size as store-bought deodorant) but I'm finding it lasts much longer than store-bought. I've been so pleased with it.

I think they are only saying apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is unique in that it is the only vinegar that is alkaline, not acidic.
All vinegars are acidic, including apple cider vinegar.

This may sound strange but I like to use the Tea Tree foot lotion.

Its cheaper than buying other Tea Tree Products. I use alcohol on cotton the apply the Tea Tree lotion. It also comes in a foot refresher spray.

I kind of got the idea when my Brazilian neighbor healed a horrible sore she had on her leg with Tea Tree oil. Her doctor had given her some other kind of lotion. It went away after she sent away for Tea Tree oil, something she said they use all of the time in Brazil.

I heard it was antimicrobial/anti-fungal.

It works great. I go back to a baking soda deoderant once in a while or when I'm on vacation

Still, a swab of alcohol seems to keep the smell away all day.

1/4 cup baking soda

1/4 cup corn starch

5-6 Tablespoons coconut oil

This is what I use also. After using many natural deodorants that did not work for me, this works so well. I will never go back to a stick deodorant again. My 13 year old daughter was so frustrated with deodorants that did not work for her teen body, and now she uses this and is thrilled that she is no longer stinky. :001_smile: