Menu

WWYD - College teacher makes fun of students.

WWYD - College teacher makes fun of students. My teens (starting 2nd year of college) are in a Public Speaking at the local CC. On the first day of class the teacher asked what major each student was majoring in. She said "Well, I guess SOMEONE has to do it ..." when a young woman said she was majoring in Mortuary Science.

She told my children that they were very "compulsive" when they each asked a different question about her syllabus.

Yesterday my son asked her a question about an assignment and he used the word "regurgitate" when referring to a concluding sentence being reworded from the Thesis statement. For ten minutes she went on and on and on about that word and how it made her visualize vomit - and on and on - in front of the entire class.

She asked a disabled girl in a wheelchair what degree she was seeking and the girl said she liked children and was going to major in child development - and the teacher asked her WHY? and then went on to tell the girl that she should visualize SKATING ... Wow! Can you imagine how ugly that was of her to say to that poor girl? I do not remember the rest of what the kids said she said - I was so sad she had said that to the girl.

I think that it would be a lose-lose if they comment on how they feel about her rudeness. Right now, I am hands off - my teens are 17 and 18 - this is a good opportunity for them to work with a difficult person.

What would you all do?

WWYD - College teacher makes fun of students. My teens (starting 2nd year of college) are in a Public Speaking at the local CC. On the first day of class the teacher asked what major each student was majoring in. She said "Well, I guess SOMEONE has to do it ..." when a young woman said she was majoring in Mortuary Science.

She told my children that they were very "compulsive" when they each asked a different question about her syllabus.

Yesterday my son asked her a question about an assignment and he used the word "regurgitate" when referring to a concluding sentence being reworded from the Thesis statement. For ten minutes she went on and on and on about that word and how it made her visualize vomit - and on and on - in front of the entire class.

She asked a disabled girl in a wheelchair what degree she was seeking and the girl said she liked children and was going to major in child development - and the teacher asked her WHY? and then went on to tell the girl that she should visualize SKATING ... Wow! Can you imagine how ugly that was of her to say to that poor girl? I do not remember the rest of what the kids said she said - I was so sad she had said that to the girl.

I think that it would be a lose-lose if they comment on how they feel about her rudeness. Right now, I am hands off - my teens are 17 and 18 - this is a good opportunity for them to work with a difficult person.

What would you all do?

Do you think that she was trying to give everyone the experience of fielding hostility in public speaking? I have heard of teachers doing that kind of thing in other majors--for instance, a journalism professor creating a noisy, newsroom environment during tests, with chatter, annoying noises, and interruptions while students are supposed to be composing, writing, and editing news reports.

What would you all do?

I would keep track of all the nasty things she said, and on the evaluation at the end of the course I'd let her have it. I'd also mention it to my classmates in hopes they would do the same. If she doesn't pass out an end of the course evaluation, I'd send a letter to the head of the department.

ETA: This is what I'd do if I were the student. As the parent, I'd stay out of it.

Edited by Perry

Nothing. This is college and IMHO, time for the students to handle things like this themselves. They can go to the department chair or dean and file a complaint if they feel they've been mistreated or verbally abused. As a parent, I'd advise and commiserate, but beyond that, nothing.

Two experiences: One, I was taking a sociology class from a prof who was just crude and vile. He had tenure and was close to retirement. It really didn't matter if anyone complained--they weren't going to do anything about it, so it was a waste of time to complain. I just did the work required and moved on.

Two: a friend's college daughter had issues with every. single. prof. she had. Mommy and Daddy went to the dean countless times and all that was accomplished was that the student got a rep for being a cry-baby princess. (and, tbh, she sort of is).

So, while I completely understand how you feel, I'd let the dc handle it.

What would you all do?

Every department has a total flake and a raging jerk. Sounds like this gal fills both those slots.

Not only would I (if a student in that class) flay the teacher alive, so as to speak, in the course evaluation -- but I also would seek out one of those websites which publish student evaluations on the Internet.

The students should, I believe, report this instructor to the administration, with carefully documented (dates, details) examples. This behaviour has NOTHING to do with the skill of public speaking. That is, not unless the actual name of the course is "Basics of Heckling and Insult".

Just wait until the first student speeches of the semester are delivered unto the grist mill of this woman . . .

To be most honest, I would drop this class ASAP and take something else from the Core Requirements.

P.S. I guess I should say explicitly that I believe the students should handle this, without any involvement of parents.

Edited by Orthodox6

I agree with this:

Nothing. This is college and IMHO, time for the students to handle things like this themselves. They can go to the department chair or dean and file a complaint if they feel they've been mistreated or verbally abused. As a parent, I'd advise and commiserate, but beyond that, nothing.

Two experiences: One, I was taking a sociology class from a prof who was just crude and vile. He had tenure and was close to retirement. It really didn't matter if anyone complained--they weren't going to do anything about it, so it was a waste of time to complain. I just did the work required and moved on.

Two: a friend's college daughter had issues with every. single. prof. she had. Mommy and Daddy went to the dean countless times and all that was accomplished was that the student got a rep for being a cry-baby princess. (and, tbh, she sort of is).

So, while I completely understand how you feel, I'd let the dc handle it.

Not only would I (if a student in that class) flay the teacher alive, so as to speak, in the course evaluation -- but I also would seek out one of those websites which publish student evaluations on the Internet.

The students should, I believe, report this instructor to the administration, with carefully documented (dates, details) examples. This behaviour has NOTHING to do with the skill of public speaking. That is, not unless the actual name of the course is "Basics of Heckling and Insult".

Just wait until the first student speeches of the semester are delivered unto the grist mill of this woman . . .

To be most honest, I would drop this class ASAP and take something else from the Core Requirements.

I'd drop the class,too. I had to learn the hard way to do research on my professors before registering. Who has the time for professors that have such little respect for their students?

:iagree:The students need to handle this.

When they give her evaluation, they should cite specific incidents with dates and all pertinent details.

Flame her hard on evaluations. She's a jerk, and probably a nut. She needs to shape up. Since she's insensitive to people with handicaps, she'll probably get in a bit of trouble. This is particularly true if the students cite the date, time and other details.

Every department has a total flake and a raging jerk. Sounds like this gal fills both those slots.

My daughter just started her freshman year at our local university. She says her comp teacher spent the entire first class chitt chatting about such things as mixed drinks and which type of hard liquour goes best with Red Bull, her many divorces and even more husbands, and other such inapropriate talk. She's in her 50's. What a classy dame....not.

I agree with letting the students handle this.

That said, if this continues maybe the students could meet independently and come up with some strategies for dealing with this like challenging her as a group on some of her comments. At the very least, if they all got together to talk a bit they'd know they weren't in it alone and didn't need to feel like she's embarrassing them in front of everyone. Solidarity in the face of an idiot can be a powerful thing. :)

Disclaimer: I teach part-time at a community college.

Let your children handle the situation. If they feel the instructor is a bad fit, it may be possible to switch to a different section. If it's past the add/drop time they can talk with the department chair and explain the situation. That will generally stay private and they may be able to switch sections still.

As far as slamming an instructor on evaluations, depending on how long the instructor has been teaching, the evaluations may not even be looked at. The suggestions about noting dates/times/specific incidents is good, but the evaluation really isn't the place to get anything changed. Keep the records (if not talking with department chair earlier) and then after grades are submitted, mail a letter to the department chair. If the semester was particularly egregious, you can also cc the division chair and/or dean.

RateMyProfessor may be generally useful to get an idea about an instructor, but anyone can log in and rate any instructor anywhere, so you do get only really good or really poor reviews. Take anything with a shaker of salt.

We had a tutor who picked on students too. I'd been part time, so while I was still taking first year subjects, I'd been around for about three years and was not a little kid who still lived with Mum. I had a go at him in the middle of the tutorial. It only took twice for him to learn to behave. I thought I'd been rather calm about it, but one of the guys later said he thought I was going to deck him! I guess I'm tougher than I feel.

If the students have problems with their lecturer, they ought to show a bit of courage and say so. Fear of being marked poorly isn't a good reason to keep their mouths closed. If they feel they've been marked unfairly, they can appeal it. I had no problems of that nature with the tutor I mentioned before, presumably because I treated him politely and participated properly the rest of the time.

Rosie

But that doesn't mean there is no recourse. As the parent of 17 and 18 year old students, I'm not certain that I would completely stay out of it. I wouldn't become involved directly, but I think it might be wise to discuss with your young adult students their options for handling this professor and this course:

• Drop the Course -- If it's possible (usually in the first week or so), your students could simply withdraw from the course and then sign up with another professor next semester. Speech classes are a dime a dozen. Why should your students go through theirs with this poor excuse for a teacher? I would also advise them to report in writing to the Academic Dean's Office as objectively as possible the nature and extent of the professor's behavior, and to make it clear that this was the reason for withdrawing from the course.
  • Endure the Course Silently -- And at the end of it, write specific statements (with dates and names) on the teacher's evaluation forms. Recruit others in the class to do the same (not sure about this).
  • Endure the Course Vocally -- Your students could either (a) make an appointment with the Academic Dean to discuss this teacher's actions, or (b) make an appointment with the teacher to discuss these concerns privately, or © confront the teacher's misbehavior in front of the class (you never know what might happen with this option).

FWIW, I would choose Option A. In this case, I don't think that withdrawing is equivalent to "quitting," it's just the wisest course of action. Your students are dealing with an unreasonable person -- who publically insults and humiliates disabled students, no less! Nothing about this behavior demonstrates respect for her students, her subject, her school, human beings in general, or even herself. Nothing you or your students do will bear any fruit in this professor's life or teaching. The next question (not a selfish one) to ask is, "What will bear fruit in this situation?" IMO, the most productive course of action would be for your young students to learn under the teaching of good role models. The "nitty-gritty" and the "toughing it out" could wait until they are upperclassmen or in grad school....

I had a prof like this in college. Within the first week he had insulted just about every student in the class. Dr. Beechhold was such a genius, he could humiliate 17 and 18 year old freshmen better than he could teach Descriptive Linguistics. What a gift to higher education! By the second week, I withdrew. It wasn't quitting, it was just evaluating the obvious lack of learning potential in the situation and moving on.... :tongue_smilie:

We had a tutor who picked on students too. I'd been part time, so while I was still taking first year subjects, I'd been around for about three years and was not a little kid who still lived with Mum. I had a go at him in the middle of the tutorial. It only took twice for him to learn to behave. I thought I'd been rather calm about it, but one of the guys later said he thought I was going to deck him! I guess I'm tougher than I feel.

If the students have problems with their lecturer, they ought to show a bit of courage and say so. Fear of being marked poorly isn't a good reason to keep their mouths closed. If they feel they've been marked unfairly, they can appeal it. I had no problems of that nature with the tutor I mentioned before, presumably because I treated him politely and participated properly the rest of the time.

Rosie

My senior year in college I had a prof for my last serious, required major course who was blatently sexist. He was a good teacher otherwise, really knew his stuff, probably somewhat of a dinosaur. He ran his own tutorial, which I respect him for, as most delegated that to their TA's. However, he just flayed people in there. He would walk us through the last lecture, asking about each thing that he had said. If someone didn't know the answer but guessed, he would tear them apart verbally; man or woman. But if a guy said he didn't know the answer, he would say that that can be a good answer, that knowing what you don't know is almost as important as knowing what you do know. If a woman said she didn't know the answer, he would wince and say something pretty deprecating. It was a consistent pattern, week in and week out--guys that don't know are good men, girls that don't know are incompetent. This was very difficult material as well, and it took a while to understand what he was basing these sectionals on.

I figured out what he was basing his reviews on (the last lecture), and I prepared by reading the notes ahead of the tutorial and then by keeping them in front of me and following along when he was flaying previous students. He would always just go from left to right, so you could tell who he would call on next. He got to me, and I answered him correctly. Then he kept asking me questions--something he had never done to anyone else. He walked me through to the end of the whole section. I did not miss any of his questions.

It was like it woke him up. From then on, he never treated the women with less respect than the men in that class again. A very dramatic and unexpected result.

Edited by Carol in Cal.