Menu

If you have several kids and don't combine..

Marsha

Different kids are combined in different topics:

13 yos and 15 yod are combined in math

13 yos and 17 yos combined in physics

10 yod and 13 yos are combined in Latin

15 yod and 17 yos are combined in lit and theology

But, b/c there are so many of them and the combinations are varied, it really doesn't "feel" like any less work since each one of them has so much work that they are doing independent of everyone else.

All of my kids are doing completely different histories (which for the most part are created by me.)

Here's what we do -

13 yo & 11 yo together in History, Writing, (and science upto 6th grade, in 7th grade dd started Apologia Gen Sci, then Physical etc)

8yo & 5 yo together in History, Science, Math games

everyone seperate in English (grammar, vocab, spelling, lit, etc), math, logic

everyone together in bible devotions, art, most read-alouds (for history- everyone is doing same history cycle. This year older two will start reading some Great books aloud, so youngers will likely wander off! LOL!! )

HTHs

The plan for next year

11yo & 10yo combined in core 3/100

6yo core K

2yo core P3/4 and B4FIAR

Added in the mix is possible dayhome kids. They will be combined with my kids to help keep our mornings going smoothly. So any 2-4 yr with dd2, 5 yo's with ds.

They are combined in electives like art, music, home ec etc But the main core subjects as well as foreign languages are done independently. Even though I combine the oldest 2 for most things including Language arts and math, Ds is slightly ahead of dd(about 5 lessons in both grammar and math). So I do let them go at their own pace, their pace just happens to be close together.

I have a 4th and 2nd grader schooling full-time, and a pre-Ker/Ker schooling about 30min per day. They are all separate for all subjects. You can see their curricula in the link in my sig. I like keeping them separate for history. I think SOTW 3 and 4 are a bit much for a little one, so I like to start them in the Ancients. It really doesn't take much time. In the future, I think I will combine any 1st-4th graders in science.

I have different kids combined in different topics as well. They do their own math and spelling and grammar, but history, science(except for high school), art, health, etc. they are combined in different ways. Mostly to keep my head from exploding! Whatever works for the age gaps and learning styles for your home.

At the moment i combine my older 2 for memory work, read alouds, geography, art. When they are all of school age my loose plan is to shoot for the middle ground, so DS's age and have the girls combine in for history, science, art but i will always have them alone for math & LA unless they catch each other up, i am thinking little DD might catch DS. My kiddos are 18m and 20m apart so very close, 3y & 2m from oldest to youngest makes it easy to combine especially once they are all reading.

What do you use?

Do you give them a workbook or SOTW or a Sonlight core each?

The most I've taught at one time was three. I scheduled the day with a lot of forethought and rigidity, making each child their own plan to follow. I sometimes had the children do test runs of programs so that I could time how long a lesson would take. I alternated between them all day long.

We were using Famous Men, Van Loon, Hillyer, and Story of the World (just the history book, not the AG).

My three school-aged dc are all doing separate work this year except for history read-alouds and morning devotions. We are using Biblioplan, so they are all on the same rotation for history but read on their own. My oldest uses Apologia for science, middle is using God's Design for Chemistry, youngest Scientist Apprentice. Horizons & Chalkdust math, FLL 4, Shurley English 5 & 7. They all work pretty independently, with the exception of grammar and science with my youngest, so I mainly just float and help them when they have a question (and try to keep the 2 year old from tearing down the house!). It is actually easier for us than trying to get everyone together and quiet at one time to do subjects together. This way they can rotate helping with the toddler if I need quiet time to help someone. My oldest will be doing his science experiments at a coop, and for the youngest two I have science scheduled on opposite days (MW for one, TR for the other).

Last year, we combined for history and science. This year, I felt that given the differences in abilities and interests it would be better to separate them. For history, I've put together my own program for ancient history. Basically, each one will work on roughly the same topic at their own level, and we'll just do some of the hands on type activities together. For science, the girls are both doing Apologia Botany, but I've decided to have them do the reading on their own, and we'll do labs and nature walks together.

We tried combining with Sonlight last year and I dont know if it really was for us.. My DD would not put any effort into history because she was relying on DS and my DS was really not ready for what we were studying. So this year we are trying to do a seperate Core for each. We will see how this year flows and go from there. IF it doesnt work then we will have to go with a textbook style cirriculum for History and Science (probably STOW and Nature Readers or something). See my sig for our plan this year.

We've never combined for LA, Math and such.

Last year, we combined for history and science. This year, I felt that given the differences in abilities and interests it would be better to separate them. For history, I've put together my own program for ancient history. Basically, each one will work on roughly the same topic at their own level, and we'll just do some of the hands on type activities together. For science, the girls are both doing Apologia Botany, but I've decided to have them do the reading on their own, and we'll do labs and nature walks together.

We are very similar to this. Everyone is doing Ancients - I'm reading aloud from a story Bible to everyone and they are all listening to Diana Waring cds together. The oldest has other related reading assigned. The youngers have additional read alouds. We will do some mapping and notebooking together. I'm also combining for God's Design Science. All skill subjects are separate. We've been doing poetry memory together, but this is often overlooked and I'm thinking of doing it one on one and let each one go at his/her own pace through the poems.

We're not combining any subjects this year; we're using textbooks for science and History Odyssey for history. Since HO level 2 becomes increasingly difficult between Ancients and Modern, I put each child into their 'grade level'. Dd 5th grade in Ancients, Ds 6th grade in Medieval, and Ds 7th grade into Early Modern.

Virtually all the curicula I use is able to be used independently by the student. I sit down with each child for 30 minutes or so each day in a tutoring session to correct/ review/ and ensure understanding of the material. We've attempted group lessons in the past, but the lessons fall apart quickly when life gets hectic. On the otherhand, independent work tends to be completed regardless.

What do you use?

What do you do?

I combine. I would lose my marbles if I didn't combine.

ETA: I guess I should add that when I say I combine, I'm talking about history and great books mainly and a few other things. I don't combine language arts (except writing), math, upper level science (Apologia). Generally we use textbooks and workbooks and DVD's for those.

I have some friends with large families who don't combine. They use BJU satellite and textbooks (R&S, Abeka, BJU, etc.)

Edited by Luann in ID

My kids are: 14, 13, 10, 8, and 5

Here is where we combine and whom we combine:

Everyone: Bible, Memory, History, Science, Read Aloud time, Arts/Crafts

14 and 13: math, grammar, composition, logic,

14, 13, and 10: greek

10, 8, and 5: informal math

seperate: phonics, handwriting, copywork, web design, instrument lessons, reading practice, silent reading, greek for 8 yr old, greek for 5 yr old, and pre-logic for 10 yr old

But, even with the combined subjects for say history, informal math, science, etc...each also does a different work 'load and depth'. KWIM?

My five school-aged children are all separate for their core math and LA. Four of them use Time4Learning. It really helps that even the youngest ones have independent work they can do - I'd be doing school all day if I had to do all the instruction for everyone. I do combine my twin K'ers for some supplementary phonics and math instruction.

My 6th grader does science separately from the other 4 (who are in K-3). I do try to keep them in similar topics, though. My younger ones use FIAR, and this year my oldest is using PH Astronomy, then chemistry with The Elements.

I combine all of them for Bible - I'm using Betty Lukens Bible felts (which has more appeal for the younger ones), then a devotional book with readings that are more appropriate for older elementary.

For history I use Biblioplan. SOTW is our spine, and they all listen to it. They separate for further work. The younger 4 listen to the storybook read-alouds and do activities from the SOTW AG. My 3rd grader reads some of the assigned readers for her level. My 6th grader does the logic stage history and reading assignments on her own. Some of the assigned BP family read-alouds I read to all of them; others I am assigning to my oldest for her own personal reading.

My 6th and 3rd graders are also starting French, but it's a computer program, so they're doing it separately.

Blessings,

Laura

What do you use?

What do you do?

This is what we currently use:

LA: LLATL and Abeka Grammar, spelling workbooks, vocab from Robinson Curriculum for older two kids.

Science: Abeka for K-6, Apologia for 7+ (so far)

History/Geography/Literature: Sonlight Cores and keeping own notebooks. I find multiple cores totally doable :)

I found that separating our kids was really good for them and allowed them to work in their own way and progress at their own levels. Of course, we are still a family and do things together, but a lot of their academics are separate.

HTH

Linda

I don't combine. My kids are 4 years apart each so it would be very ineffective to combine but I doubt I would in any case. I prefer having each child on her own level rather than fitting them into each other's style.

My curriculum is in my signature. I get Scholars Lesson plans for the VP stuff and that helps easy my workload.

Heather