Menu

Compensating for food and fuel

I shouldnt complain. I really shouldnt. We are doing fine financially. We are not going without anything important. But, the rising cost of food and fuel is starting to hit home.

I cant use the history program I would like to use next year due to having to limit my curriculum budget. I cant start a new quilt project. My "personal" book budget (ie - not homeschool) is going away. The "fluffy stuff" that I enjoy is going away in lieu of the important things like Dr. bills, food, gas, clothes, etc.

Anybody else making these changes?? Any suggestions??

Our library is terrible - please dont suggest using it!!! They do not carry any of the Sarah, Plain and Tall books! I had to order them too since the local bookstores do not carry them ("No body reads those kinds of things anymore"). That is just one example of many, many books I have tried to get for me or the children.

Thanks for listening to the vent!

No big changes here yet - so far dh's income has kept pace with the rise in the cost of living. We do need to keep an eye on things though. I have noticed a jump in grocery prices over the past few months. Milk is $4 a gallon, OJ is $5 - $8 a gallon, items that used to cost a dollar now cost two and so forth.

As for the library "Nobody reads that stuff anymore" :eek: Maybe they need to look at the reason for that! I suppose you have already tried interlibrary loan... ?

We're starting our Victory Garden in a couple weeks.

Victory from:

-rising grocery prices

-rising fuel prices

-foreign fuel dependence

-pesticides

-genetic altering

We usually have a garden, but this year we decided to rename it a victory garden to remind us why we tend it... especially on those days we don't feel like it. :)

We started changing a couple of years ago when dh salary went down due to changing jobs to a career he loves. However, it's been really hard lately again in the grocery area because of prices going up. I've just been trying to cut back even more and watch prices even more, which is next to impossible. Gas wise, we're doing better because we moved and everything is nearer now and his job is very near too. But on weeks where we are supposed to go other places it becomes tougher too. Don't have any revelations to give other than I shop Aldi and really price shop for meat. It's time consuming and tough, but something that has to be done.

I get almost all of my personal reading material via bookmooch and paperbackswap. I even plan to list my copy of Sarah Plain and tall there tomorrow. On paperbackswap you can even print the postage via the site so you don't have to go to the post office to mail things. Using these sites has saved me a lot of money.

We're starting our Victory Garden in a couple weeks.

Victory from:

-rising grocery prices

-rising fuel prices

-foreign fuel dependence

-pesticides

-genetic altering

We are expanding the garden this year also.

Could I get a victory over cucumber beetles - please!!

I own two pairs of jeans, my black ones can still be worn in public but my denim ones are now reserved for home attire only, thanks to some well placed holes.

I own one knit shirt that I am now wearing almost exclusively in public. It fortunately matches a button up shirt that I already. The button up shirt can't really be worn alone as it is kind of an uncomfortable fabric. But I can layer these or wear the knit shirt alone and so that gives me more than one look. The rest of my shirts are getting so nasty looking that I just try very hard not wear them in public.

I own one pair of athletic shoes and they are very well worn and look nasty. I own one pair of black sling back pumps for church. Last Sunday I ran late for church while I waited for the glue on them to dry.:D

I own two church outfits, one is a black sweater dress. The other is a black pantsuit. The sweater dress can only really be worn when the weather is very cold, which is why it has lasted me for 4 years and still looks brand new!! Mostly I wear the same black pantsuit to church every week.

I have been adding water to my foundation for the last two weeks. But yesterday was payday and foundation is at the top of my list!:)

I have never been one to be "into" clothing but I confess sometimes I do not wish to leave the house because I find my lack of a wardrobe to be so embarrassing.

This is how I compensate for rising living costs. I just tell myself no to practically everything I want.

I've been noticing rapidly rising food costs as well....so Costco is just about the only place I shop now. I think about our meals differently, more casseroles, soups, chilis, those kinds of meals that I can use less meat in.

I also don't buy extras like clothing for myself, I've had the same winter shoes for the past 6 years...Lands End brand....and they are still very wearable. They definitely look worn though.

I encourage myself by remembering that we really do have plenty of everything and I'm so fortunate to wake up on Monday mornings, excited about my day.

The Lord is good!!

http://thelifeoffive.blogspot.com

I encourage myself by remembering that we really do have plenty of everything and I'm so fortunate to wake up on Monday mornings, excited about my day.

]

I remind myself that I live in one of the wealthiest nations in the world and that I never do without everything that I need and still have much that I want.

Except for when I am feeling sorry for myself. Then I just concentrate on self-pity. :(

But in reality, I am so blessed.

I remind myself that I live in one of the wealthiest nations in the world and that I never do without everything that I need and still have much that I want.

Except for when I am feeling sorry for myself. Then I just concentrate on self-pity. :(

But in reality, I am so blessed.

This is very true! I also don't have very many clothes (1 pr jean, 1 pr khaki, about 2-3 good shirts). I often feel sorry for myself because we make quite a bit less than most people I know, but I have to remember that we are blessed to live in a country where we have opportunities and poverty is not the norm. So while in the USA our family does't have a lot in the form of things and income, according to other countries we have tons!!!

I know this sounds funny and some people may not even believe it but honestly, sometimes I'm the happiest when I have the least. I'm happier when I have to be creative with finances and meals, being successful then feels so good. Things are easier to maintain and I'm just more joyful all around. I used to pray for a bigger house, I would pretty much beg God for another house, but I'm starting to be content with where we are at. I mean, I can hardly maintain the one I have!

I just remember whenever I see an amazing house and I start to get covetous....that God will have something even better for me in heaven. I don't need to worry about earthly goods. Something about that thought just releases all of my 'wants' and makes me very, very happy!! And free!!

Since we've been tightening our budget, very few things come into this house that we don't need at that very moment. And you know what? There is so much less crap to clean up and also a lot less waste! I've realized how materialistic and comsumer-based we Americans really are. I've been changing slowly, really thinking about what else I can do besides just buying something new and you're right it feels so good when I come up with a creative idea and we end up saving money.

You know Kelli, a few hours earlier, I would have said the same thing. But just a while ago my MIL came over and had me go through a ton of clothes (most new w/ tags on them!). It felt like Xmas for me today. I have been wearing the same church dresses (rotating between three of them) for the last 11 years. They still look new fortunately. I was able to triple my wardrobe in a matter of 30 minutes! I am just thrown. I have been fortunate to have a clothes benefactor. You are right we live in a wonderful nation. Had to share because I feel so blessed.

These clothes were given to her by her sister who got them from another lady. This lady must have had a ton of clothes because they have been picked over by 3 women!

Living in a large city makes it difficult to do so many of the things I'd like to. We rent our home and don't have the land for a garden. :(

BUT, I've decided that we need to cut down on the sheer variety of foods we eat. I was really struck by the photos in the other thread about how others around the world eat. They don't have a different meal every night of the week for 10-14 days straight! And yet, we've gotten so used to doing just that.

For simplicity's sake and in response to the rising food costs, we're going to start buying certain items in bulk like rice, pasta and flour, etc. and spend the rest on as much local grown meat, poultry and produce as we can and that is what we'll eat. I think about the farmers who live on their own food and during the winter, they eat whatever they've canned and the (few!) other options there are at the moment! They might eat chicken with potatoes or rice 3-4 nights a week and they are OK with it.

My kids complain that we never have anything NEW for lunch. There has to be a fundamental change in how we are thinking about food. I want to enjoy eating, yes, but I want our tastes to become simpler, our expectations less commercial and our craving for such ridiculous variety to be quenched. I want meals to be easier!! LOL I'm just tired of cooking being such a battleground.

Can you tell what topic I've been reading up on? LOL Right now it's Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck.

We go through 10 doz. eggs a month but they have doubled in price in the last year :eek:

Everything has gone up and my dh just took a salary cut to get into a job that wouldn't send him to the chiropractor constantly for stress. He is so much happier but the deficits in my budget aren't going away any time soon.

Two weeks from now we will go over our budget, make changes and set it for the next year. There is no way I will get what I would like for clothing, food and school books. We have already cut some other things to pay for gas. We had to stop putting extra money to paying off debit. That really frustrated me because we were making such great progress. We are still moving on it, but it is so much slower!

I'm in the same boat right now. Dh just took an (approximate) $800/month cut (though for February it actually turned out to be a $1200 cut), and we are having to do the same thing. I am okay with a lot of the cuts we have to make, but we had been paying extra to pay our house off early, and that's going to have to stop -- that's the one that's killing me!

There wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room before -- now there is no wiggle room at all. On paper, it's not doable. It's nowhere near doable. I have no idea how I'm going to buy next year's books. (At this point, I can't even tell you how I'm going to buy next month's groceries.)

We've been in this situation before and God always uses it as an opportunity to show us He's in control -- this is the third time in our married lives that we've ended up living in "okay, God -- what kind of miracle are you going to perform for us this month?"-type circumstances (not that uncommon for a small-town pastor). It's scary, but I know from past experience that He will bless our obedience. So here I sit, content because we are in His will, but waiting to see exactly how it's all going to work out.

Kelli,

I've gained weight so I'm down to only two pairs of pants that I can wear. I'm hoping that by going on a diet I can get back into my other clothes. I'm hoping that being on this diet will mean that I must cook more at home and cut down on the eating out at fast food places. I do think the french fries are causing my thighs to bulge. LOL!!

We moved to the country four years ago, and since my children are very involved in art, dance, horseback riding, and co-op then I'm on the road quite a bit. I'm trying to be more organized so that I do my shopping and any other errands while I'm out. I've also found Aldi's and try to shop there when I can. I also watch the papers for the two for one type sales. I do need new shoes, though. I'm starting to have pains in my legs due to ill fitting shoes, so I may have to fork out a bit for that.

I love the idea for a victory garden. Since living out here we have put all our time on the house. Well, it may have to be put on the back burner for a little while so that I can get a garden up. The only thing is I wonder how cost effective it is if I have to put out a lot of money for fertilizer and organic type stuff to keep bugs away. Going the organic way is very expensive. If anyone has ideas of low cost ways to fertilize a garden and keep the plant disease and bugs away then I would be most grateful. I've read where coffee grounds are good for the soil. I know that I need to start a compost bin or site. I've thought of doing the 20 foot gardening.

Gotta go,

It's so good to see that I'm not alone! We are living on faith, preparing to serve internationally and I've been having a bit of a pity party for myself. Thanks for reminding me that I'm not alone and wearing the same two outfits to church is not a bad thing! I am so blessed in many other ways and that is what I choose to focus on.

One way we are cutting back on food costs is to eat more vegetarian meals, especially those incorporating beans. If I were better in the kitchen, I would be cooking dry beans myself and freezing them in one-can quantities for use in these meals instead of buying them for $1 a can.

I buy good quality cheese at Sam's Club. Again, if I were better in the kitchen I would be shredding this up myself and freezing it in baggies for use in the aforementioned vegetarian dishes instead of buying pre-packaged shredded cheese (which is actually not as good quality as the block cheese from Sam's) for $2.50 a bag. Cheese freezes well, so this would be a relatively easy home packaging/canning task.

For gasoline, we use a Discover credit card that gives us 5% cashback on gasoline and auto maintenance purchases. This is easy to pay off online by linking to our checking account at the bank. No interest charges, and that $20 cashback once in awhile helps. We also use our bank's reward credit card for all purchases to accummulate points for cash back (also reasily redeemable online).

I save JoAnn fabric coupons now and make an effort to keep them in the car and use them. It's not ideal, because they don't work on sale items and often many of their fabrics are on sale. I never buy a quilting magazine now unless I can see that there is a quilt pattern or technique article that I am likely to use.

I have also looked for ways to make a little money from home. We have tons of books accummulated over the years which dh and I really don't need. By selling these on Amazon, I have been able to clear about $100 every month. Of course, this won't help when we run out of books, but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon! I am also preparing to sell curriculum items and other things on eBay for the first time. I really dislike telephoning; otherwise I would consider signing up for one of the work-at-home telephone options mentioned in other posts. Since you can choose your own hours and how much you work, that could certainly help add to monthly income.

Those are the biggest changes we have made so far. I have a feeling we're going to have to make even more changes down the line, but I feel better now that we've made a start......

To kill bugs, put a little bit of dish soap and a little oil in a spray bottle fill with water. Spray on the bugs. Kills them instantly.:D Watch out though, some plants the oil will magnify the sun and burn the plant. I've also done no oil, just dish soap and water, still kills the bugs. Works great on a swarm of ants and other bugs. I did this a lot last summer.

We got duck manure to fertilize last year, and it was our biggest expense. I don't think we'll need to do it this year. My goal this year is to learn how to compost so I don't have to buy manure again.:)

One way we are cutting back on food costs is to eat more vegetarian meals, especially those incorporating beans. If I were better in the kitchen, I would be cooking dry beans myself and freezing them in one-can quantities for use in these meals instead of buying them for $1 a can.

I buy good quality cheese at Sam's Club. Again, if I were better in the kitchen I would be shredding this up myself and freezing it in baggies for use in the aforementioned vegetarian dishes instead of buying pre-packaged shredded cheese (which is actually not as good quality as the block cheese from Sam's) for $2.50 a bag. Cheese freezes well, so this would be a relatively easy home packaging/canning task.

For gasoline, we use a Discover credit card that gives us 5% cashback on gasoline and auto maintenance purchases. This is easy to pay off online by linking to our checking account at the bank. No interest charges, and that $20 cashback once in awhile helps. We also use our bank's reward credit card for all purchases to accummulate points for cash back (also reasily redeemable online).

I save JoAnn fabric coupons now and make an effort to keep them in the car and use them. It's not ideal, because they don't work on sale items and often many of their fabrics are on sale. I never buy a quilting magazine now unless I can see that there is a quilt pattern or technique article that I am likely to use.

I have also looked for ways to make a little money from home. We have tons of books accummulated over the years which dh and I really don't need. By selling these on Amazon, I have been able to clear about $100 every month. Of course, this won't help when we run out of books, but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon! I am also preparing to sell curriculum items and other things on eBay for the first time. I really dislike telephoning; otherwise I would consider signing up for one of the work-at-home telephone options mentioned in other posts. Since you can choose your own hours and how much you work, that could certainly help add to monthly income.

Those are the biggest changes we have made so far. I have a feeling we're going to have to make even more changes down the line, but I feel better now that we've made a start......

I just wanted to mention that I do cook dry beans, it's so easy! I put whatever amount I want in the crock pot with a bunch of water, cook until tender several hours, then drain and throw them in the freezer. I do this all of the time and always have beans in the freezer.

I know what you mean about the cheese. I sometimes shred it myself, but it's kind of messy. I do like to use a good cheese slicer and slice up cheese, layer between this paper you can buy and (like what they use in a deli) and freeze it that way, it's good for sandwiches. By the time I do all of the work, I'm not sure how much I'm saving. Last time I bought a huge block of Mozz. at Sam's because it was cheaper than the big bag of shredded, but by the time I did all of the work, I was like, wow, I really didn't save anything except for make slices.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.

Blessings,

Kristine

We're making some cutbacks, too. We use more dry beans, but soak them and then cook them in different water first to reduce the musical effects.

Have you asked your library if they might join one of those interlibrary loan systems? That way you could get books there free from other libraries, which is something we often do here. I'm not sure if it costs our library anything or if it's supported in part by the state or something.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I just wanted to mention that I do cook dry beans, it's so easy! I put whatever amount I want in the crock pot with a bunch of water, cook until tender several hours, then drain and throw them in the freezer. I do this all of the time and always have beans in the freezer.

I know what you mean about the cheese. I sometimes shred it myself, but it's kind of messy. I do like to use a good cheese slicer and slice up cheese, layer between this paper you can buy and (like what they use in a deli) and freeze it that way, it's good for sandwiches. By the time I do all of the work, I'm not sure how much I'm saving. Last time I bought a huge block of Mozz. at Sam's because it was cheaper than the big bag of shredded, but by the time I did all of the work, I was like, wow, I really didn't save anything except for make slices.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience.

Blessings,

Kristine

What kind of containers do you freeze your beans in?

thanks

What kind of containers do you freeze your beans in?

thanks

Sometimes I just use a plastic container if I know I will be using the beans up soon, I've also used ziplock bags and taken out as much air as possible. Usually mine aren't in the freezer more than a week or two.

HTH.

Kristine

I agree that cooking from scratch can save a lot of money. My Dad was impressed that he and my mom don't spend much on groceries -- he said $500 a month and I about passed out. If we spent the same, we'd be spending over $1,000 a month in groceries! My mom buys a lot of meat, a lot of prepackaged stuff, donuts, etc.

We eat mainly vegetarian meals, and if we do have ground beef, I run it through the food processor to make it fine. It seems to go farther in spaghetti sauce, chili and such. It adds a little flavor without needing a lot of meat. I usually buy a large plastic container of growth hormone free from BJs at $2.99 a pound, brown it all in a skillet and freeze portions in little ziploc bags.

I make soups with leftovers a lot. I buy organic chicken broth in cartons at BJs -- I really stock up (no pun intended). Every few days I take all leftover veggies, rice, barley, lentils, pasta, meats etc and throw them in a pot with a carton of broth, an onion, some diced garlic from a jar, white pepper and salt.

I also make other soups a lot:

corn chowder (chicken broth, corn, potatoes, sometimes diced red peppers, milk, salt and black pepper). I usually have salad and some kind of muffin or homemade bread along with it.

chili (with diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, kidney beans, frozen peppers food processed, an onion, diced garlic and spices). I usually make brown rice to serve the chili over. We then sprinkle some mexican shredded cheese on top. It's very filling. We also eat leftover chili with quesadillas with tortilla shells and cheese.

Another cheap meal is carrots, potatoes, a little ground beef, an onion, ketchup, white pepper, salt, marjoram, dill, basil and garlic pwder cooked in the crock pot or oven together until carrots and potatoes are tender. I scrub the potatoes but do not peel them.

We also drink mainly water around here. My husband likes his apple cider and I drink coffee, but we don't by sodas and very little juice.

I buy fruit when it's on sale.

I buy generic products 99 percent of the time (except toilet paper and paper towels because we just end up using more of them).

Whole grains are more filling than white grains.

We also have green beans and potatoes cooked in chicken broth with a lot of pepper and onion. I add other things as side dishes -- it just depends on what I have. Muffins, homemade bread, lima beans, carrots -- who knows. Potatoes are still pretty inexpensive, so I use them a lot.

My carrot lentil casserole is also very cheap.

We eat pancakes and eggs for dinner often. Sometimes I make roasted potatoes too. Coat potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with dill, basil, marjoram, white pepper and salt. They're like hasbrowns. The boys like them with ketchup.

I know some people who do not have a regular land-line phone. Since they are paying for a cell phone, and long distance is usually free at night, they have cell phones only. That can save a lot of money.

Late fees and bank fees can add up too. Be diligent about library items, video rentals, keeping up with how much is in your checking account, etc.

Thrift stores are GREAT -- especially for children's clothing. We also bring almost anything we no longer need to our house church for others to go through. This includes food no one likes, hair products that didn't work out, toys, books, clothes, etc.

I have sold some things on Craigslist as well. Every little bit helps.

The internet is a wealth of info as well. So often, there are just the right math practice sheets or whatever without spending a dime. Many audio books can be downloaded from sites like librivox as well as through your library.

I notice that since my children are homeschooled and don't watch TV, they are oblivious to what toys and clothes are hot. A friend of mine was telling me about a pair of "crocs" she bought for her daughter (because they are so "in" -- I played along but had no idea what she was talking about).

I buy heavy duty freezer bags in gallon and quart size from BJs. I then wash them, hang them to dry on my kitchen curtain and reuse them. I know this saves quite a bit because I rarely have to buy them.

You can cut dryer sheets in half and they work just as well.

I compost so I can spread it on our garden and flower bed.

I buy the boys' markers, colored pencils, construction paper, paper, etc. at rock-bottom prices during back to school sales or with a coupon from Michaels and A C Moore. I bought my own Prismacolor pencils from A C Moore with a coupon and got a rebate on top of that. They also sell homeschool things like solar system, gem, chemistry kits. They sell some Dover coloring books, sketch books, lots of art supplies, Lincoln Logs, Thomas the Tank, all sorts of things. There is always a 40 or 50 percent off coupon available.

I buy huge boxes of computer paper from the office store or BJs. This is the drawing paper for the boys. I make scratch pads from scratch paper. I cut 8.5x11 sheets of paper into four sections and staple together.

We are also very organized. When you are organized, you don't lose things and things tend to be taken care of better, thus you have to buy less.

I hope all of these tips help.

We go through 10 doz. eggs a month but they have doubled in price in the last year :eek:

QUOTE]

for the egg consumption, not to mention the quality of eggs.

The chicken scratch is cheaper for several hens that the price of a dozen of eggs.

They can live on relatively small space (backyard) and when they roam they usually come back by dusk.