Menu

Hair removal for an 8 year old's legs? Veet? Nair? HELP!

Now here's a topic I never thought I'd be bringing up!

My oldest is totally not interested in shaving/hair removal. But she is also blonde, and her hair is blonde.

My youngest is a rhythmic gymnast, and now training here in Korea. The other girls that are in ehr group routine have been commenting on her hairy legs. She *is* quite hairy, dark hair, and add to that Koreans have very little body hair. I have gotten comments on my body hair before, too. They aren't *mean*, they just notice it, touch it, and it bothers DD.

She wants to shave her legs. At 8!

I don't want her to feel self concious about it, after all the poor kid already sticks out like an absolute sore thumb EVERYWHERE, and especially in the gymnastics world, where she is apparently the only non-Korean doing RG on the whole peninsula. I mean, people stare at her, all the time, so why not help the one thing I can control?

But- how?? I thought about using that Veet stuff, a cream that you scrape off with a non-blade razor shaped thing. But I worry about hte chemicals maybe burning her skin- she is a little kid, after all. Waxing will hurt waayyyy too much- she is pretty hairy. Shaving is too dangerous, even if I do it for her.

Any advice? She's been bugging me for weeks and I told her we would do it before her meet next week.

I never thought of an electric razor!!

That's a great idea!

I don't like all the chemicals in Veet either, but I think she is just waayyy too young to tackle a razor, I'm even afraid to do it for her with a real razor!

DH has one, even. Its the same thing, right? (I don't shave my legs, LOL, so my hair removal experience is limited to bikini line and I've onyl ever shaved with a razor, non electric!)

Go with one designed for MEN--they work faster and smother! Move in small circles--gradually moving up and down the leg.

If her hair is long it might 'pull' occasionally the first time--but after that it would be easy to manage--quick and painless! Make sure to keep the 'heads' cleaned out--especially after the first time.

The electric one is a good idea...but if her legs are sweaty or damp, it will stick and be hard to use. You can put a small amount of baby powder on the legs to help this, but you need to clean out the razor every time, and it may affect how long the razor works...but it is much better than trying to do it on sticky skin.

I like the razors with the 3 rotating heads. Also, you can flip the trimmer open and remove the long hair first and then go back to shaving so that the shaver doesn't pull out those long hairs (ouch).

Jean

Here in the states there is a product called "Magic". It's a cream hair remover designed for black men, but it's VERY gentle on the skin, and it's inexpensive. (A tube runs about $3-$5, depending on where you buy it.) It also doesn't smell bad at all.

You can order online from drugstore.com

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search_results.asp?N=0&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntk=All&srchtree=1&Ntt=magic+cream

I had a friend who wanted to shave at that age because of comments, so her mom shaved her legs for her for about 6 mo. as she taught her to do it herself. Chemical removal creams give me HORRIBLE reactions, so as others have said, I would test a small area first if you go that route.

I'd get her a good razor with sharp, fresh blades and trust her to figure this out. No cheap, disposable blades! Shaving isn't really hard or dangerous, and I think it's within the ability of most 8 year olds (though most of them don't need to do it!). The worst thing that happens is that she gets a good nick. I can't remember anyone I know having any really serious shaving related injury. (I know know, now, that I am going to get a hundred anecdotes about 'the time I cut off my finger shaving.')

I wouldn't put those chemicals on my child's body on a bet.

Waxing would also work (and last much longer) but I believe the problem with that is that you have to let the hair grow all the way out before you can rewax. If her competition has "seasons" should could wax before major meets.

I never thought of an electric razor!!

That's a great idea!

I don't like all the chemicals in Veet either, but I think she is just waayyy too young to tackle a razor, I'm even afraid to do it for her with a real razor!

DH has one, even. Its the same thing, right? (I don't shave my legs, LOL, so my hair removal experience is limited to bikini line and I've onyl ever shaved with a razor, non electric!)

My mom had a girl electric razor from the 70s. I despised the thing, but it kept me happy my 6th g yr & postponed the heinous gashes I inflicted on myself later.

If your dh doesn't mind, I'd imagine they'd be the same, but...I haven't used an electric razor since I was 11, lol.

I would go with the shaving route at that age. An electric one would be good. I have very little hair and what I do have is not very noticeable. My dd on the other hand takes after her dads side of the family. They all have thick black hair. She begged me to let her remove hair on her legs at about the same time as your daughter since kids in her private school were making fun of her. She had a severe reaction to the product we used. I believe it was because they are not made for delicate childrens skin. If you do use a chemical, PLEASE DO A PATCH TEST FIRST. Sorry for yelling. You don't want her at the meet with blotchy skin. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

If she can stand a little pain (and it doesn't hurt that much anyway), waxing is probably the best option.

Shaving, on the long run, only makes the things worse for most girls (their hair starts to grow more, quicker and more solid), and those chemical products are not really something I'd play with.

My girls (11 and 12) get waxing treatments, I never supported them to shave and as soon as they expressed their desire to remove hair from their legs, it was waxing from the beginning, they got used to it and like the effects. The hair doesn't have to grow full again before you can rewax (it's better if it does though - but it's really not like you have to spend long weeks being hairy, just wait a little bit more than you'd wait for the other hair removal techniques); also, the effects last much longer, and the pain is generally overrated. If you regularly use body peeling (esp. before waxing) and take care of your legs after waxing (e.g. with baby powder to calm the skin, and there also special lotions for after waxing), there are also far lesser chances to irritate the skin than with other hair removal techniques. And with time, if you regularly wax, the hair grows less. So waxing is a win-win situation for most women.