Menu

Misheard lyrics funny.

I knew someone (not naming names!) who thought the following:

Brad Paisley's Man to Man it "Hoochie coo" instead of "Who's cheatin' who?"

Diamond Rio Beautiful Mess "Like a mocharale in a haze" (made up word, lol) instead of "I'm walkin' 'round in a haze"

:lol:

Frère Jacques, Frère Jacques

Dormez-vous? Dormez-vous?

Sonnez les matines! Sonnez les matines!

Ding, dang, dong. Ding, dang, dong.

(or...as my DD used to sing)

Where is Shopko?Where is Shopko?

Door may who? Door may who?

Hey my name is Tina, Hey my name is Tina

Ding dang dog, Ding dang dog

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Some of dd's:

In "Day Tripper" the line "My baby don't care," she sang "I maybe don't care!"

From "Conjunction Junction" she heard the line "Hooking up words and phrases and clauses" as "Hooking up words and freezing in the closet."

And from the Kenny Loggins' song "Don't Fight It" the line was "Don't fight it," but what she sang was "No biting, no biting!"

Oh! This is a fun thread!

-Robin

I've had song lyrics on my mind all day because of this thread. Dh just sat down on the couch and said, "Oh, Mama..." in a sighing, tired, long day kinda way. I responded with the first thing that popped into my mind, "I'm in fear for my life..." He caught right on and said, "From the long arm of the law..."

Now I'll NEVER get to sleep for running that song through my mind!

Chelle

I've had song lyrics on my mind all day because of this thread. Dh just sat down on the couch and said, "Oh, Mama..." in a sighing, tired, long day kinda way. I responded with the first thing that popped into my mind, "I'm in fear for my life..." He caught right on and said, "From the long arm of the law..."

Now I'll NEVER get to sleep for running that song through my mind!

Chelle

Um, THANKS! Now I won't be able to get it out of my head. :glare:

My mother used to sing us a song when we were small. This is what I heard:

Mareziedotes and Doeziedotes and little lamziedivie.

A kiddliedivie too wouldn't you?

She was actually singing:

Mares eat oats and does eat oats,

and little lambs eat ivy.

A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?

I figured this out...oh, about 10 years ago when I heard this song somewhere and actually listened to it. I was dumbfounded. I thought it was just a nonsense song!

:lol::lol: Love all the others - too funny!

I figured this out...oh, about 10 years ago when I heard this song somewhere and actually listened to it. I was dumbfounded. I thought it was just a nonsense song!

That is such a wacky, funny song!

Chelle

Here's one that just now happened...

Dh was singing,

"I'm alright

Nobody worry 'bout me

Why you got to gimme a fight?

Can't you just let it be?"

I said, "Are those the right words? I've always thought it was, 'Why you got to gimme advice' instead of 'a fight'!

He cracked up!

Chelle

"You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, four hundred children and the turnips won't peel....."

Yes. I thought these were the lyrics until sometime in my mid-20's.

Apparently it's really, ".....four HUNGRY children and A CROP IN THE FIELD." Huh. :001_huh:

Astrid

A few weeks ago my DD (5 years old), was happily playing and singing "Zaccheus was a wee little man." Well, she stopped and said "There's two of them, Mommy!" I said "Two of what?" Then she proceeded to explain "Two Ikeas, the store and the wee little man!"

So she had been singing "Ikea was a wee little man" LOL!

My oldest daughter used to sing "where the deer and the cantaloupe play" from "Home on the Range" (I think). I had a Sunday School teacher once who spoke in our class about the "dust on the Bible" from the country song "Dust on the Bottle".

Tears in my eyes over these!

"Secret Agent Man" to me always sounds like "Secret Asian Man"!

Chelle

Me too!

slipped on a pop tart (stepped on a pop top) Margaretta ville

catch that beaver (cat scratch fever) my son's version of the song

Edited by Cafelattee

Had to keep our three y/o home for a while after we heard him singing "The Farmer Goes to Hell".....i.e. "The Farmer in the Dell". Never did find out what the farmer was doing in that dell! :lol:

Thanks for the laughs...we love mondegreens here.

~K

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and have laughed out loud at nearly all of the entries. What a fun thread! I'll add ours:

London bridges falling down, falling down, falling down.

London bridges falling down,

My fat baby.

God bless America, Land that I love

Stand beside her, with fiber....

"You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille, four hundred children and the turnips won't peel....."

Yes. I thought these were the lyrics until sometime in my mid-20's.

Apparently it's really, ".....four HUNGRY children and A CROP IN THE FIELD." Huh. :001_huh:

Astrid

:blushing: Seriously?? I thought it was 400 too!

My oldest daughter used to sing "where the deer and the cantaloupe play" from "Home on the Range" (I think). I had a Sunday School teacher once who spoke in our class about the "dust on the Bible" from the country song "Dust on the Bottle".

:lol::lol: BOTH of these are hilarious!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

When my boys were about 3 and used to sing in the bath, this is what we heard, at various different times :

Twinkle, twinkle Little star :"...Up above the world so high, Like a dolphin in the sky..."

Another one, from Baa baa, black sheep : "One for the master, one for the dame, one for the little boy who lives down the drain..." ok, he was in the bath at the time, but still

And my personal favourite, "Thank you Lord, for saving my soul... Thank you Lord, for making me cold..." :001_huh:

My grandmother used to sing this to me growing up.:001_smile: It took me a long time to figure out the real lyrics too. What exactly is a kiddilly anyways??:001_huh: Never questioned it growing up. lol

When my boys were about 3 and used to sing in the bath, this is what we heard, at various different times :

Twinkle, twinkle Little star :"...Up above the world so high, Like a dolphin in the sky..."

My ds version was: Twinkle, twinkle little star... up a Bubba world so high...

These are hysterical!

6 year old son's version of 12 days of christmas . . . "3 french chicks, two turtle doves and a party in a pear tree." (at the top of his lungs at the church christmas party)

The kids changed this one on purpose to:

3 French hens, 2 turtle doves, and a fire-breathing dragon just for meeeee.

Oh my gosh these are too funny!! hehehehehe

Two from my youth are Billy Joel's Piano Man... "and he's talking to Davie who fell in the gravy and will probably be there for life." It's supposed to be "and he's talking to Davie who's still in the Navy..." :p

and Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. "we're living in a Polish shack and givin' off sparks." actual lyrics are "we're living in a powder keg and givin off sparks." I didn't know what a powder keg was back then, but my mom almost died laughing when I sang that song wrong. :p hehe

I have an Aunt named Joyce. When she was little they lived on a farm and she was called Joycie. There was a song at Church that she loved called "Bringing in the Sheaves". At the end of the song it says, "We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves." It had always been her favorite song because she thought the words were, "We shall come with Joycie, bringing in the sheeps." :D She said she had felt so special singing that song, and was shocked when she realized what the real words were! :lol:

My oldest sister thought this one was "bringing in the sheets" and wondered for years why we would still have laundry in heaven. :)

What a funny thread! I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

When my niece was about 3 she loved "I've got the joy, joy joy, joy down in my heart", but she sang one verse as "I've got the piece of plastic understanding". Oh, and she also sang, "Jesus loves me and my toes".

:001_smile: