Menu

Signatures needed for petition to CA Supreme Court!

HSLDA is currently collecting signatures for a petition that will be sent to the CA State Supreme Court asking that the Appelate court decision be "depublished." From what I understand, "depublishing" means that the court decision would only affect the party (family) involved and not the general homeschooling community in California. For clarification, HSLDA is not representing the family in question.

I know many of you do not agree with HSLDA's policies but we homeschoolers in California need your help! You do not need to be an HSLDA member, a homeschooling family or even a CA resident to sign the petition. Simply log onto http://www.hslda.org and a very obvious box will pop up linking you to the petition. We homeschoolers and a feisty bunch so now in the time for action! Thanks for your consideration!

I've hesitated to say this throughout this debacle, but I won't be signing any petition like this and not because of HSLDA either.

1--I don't believe petitions work.

2--Even if they do, this ruling was only about the family in the first place. It never said it would affect any other homeschoolers BUT this family.

I can't believe how so many are missing this fact. The father was highly abusive and the courts ordered them to either put the kids in school or lose the kids and it's all because of the abuse NOT homeschooling!!!

Please actually read the court documents before jumping the gun. Of course, one can thank World Net Daily for their propoganda reporting and for HSLDA to be stepping in when they don't need to be. In California, homeschooling was never really legal to begin with. You guys have been getting by with a backdoor form that allows you to homeschool via a "private school" covering, but that covering was never questioned.

So technically, all of you are breaking the law anyway. BUT your right to homeschool is not being threatened by this, ONLY this family.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:-gfLatRwHh8J:www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/B192601.DOC+JD00773&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:Jejyh04wbVgJ:www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B192878.PDF+B192878&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

And to quote, because it is true:

The only references to certification have to do with the fact that the Long children are “enrolled” in a private school (Sunland Christian), when they’re actually being taught at home by their mother. The educational law clearly states that children can be taught IN a private school, or by a certified teacher. The Long children’s educational circumstances do not follow either model.

Nowhere does the ruling state that ALL teaching in California must be done by a certified teacher. All a family has to do is declare their home a private school. The ruling has been misinterpreted to include ALL California homeschoolers, when it applies ONLY to the two Long children.

I don’t know why this case is such a surprise. The judge is ruling from existing laws and precedent. If you homeschool in California, perhaps its time to stop being paranoid about potential oversight and lobby for some laws that protect your ability to home educate. But first, dump your umbrella school and file your own affidavit.

I have to respectfully disagree with Toni's opinion. The court could have limited their decision to this one family in question but instead decided to publish their decision. By doing this, the court has basically said that this case can be now be used as precedent for all future cases against homeschoolers. From a very limited case, the court used a very broad brush and set precedent affecting all other homeschoolers in California. This was a very calculated ruling from the court.

I also disagree that petitions don't work. People who believe in a cause, joining together, taking a stand and voicing their opinion is what our country is all about. Without the Founding Fathers taking a stand, although somewhat unpopular at the time, and writing the Declaration of Independence, we might still be flying the Union Jack.

I like the analogy of putting a frog into hot water. When the water's boiling, the frog knows there is danger and immediately wants to jump out. A 2nd frog gets put into warm water thinks it's downright comfortable and doesn't realize until it's too late that the water is now boiling and it's too late to do anything. We homeschoolers in California could just sit back and hope things work out for the best and do nothing but I feel that's a bit naive. Hopefully, with coordinated action and a lot of prayer, our rights will not be taken away and I hope other homeschoolers across the country will help us and sign this petition!

I agree Surfside. I don't want to just sit back and see how things turnout. We have got to be the frontier/pioneer people here. We have got to fight it here, so that others in the nation won't be affected by this ruling as well. And for us to fight here, we need the support of all those around the nation.

I have to respectfully disagree with Toni's opinion. The court could have limited their decision to this one family in question but instead decided to publish their decision. By doing this, the court has basically said that this case can be now be used as precedent for all future cases against homeschoolers. From a very limited case, the court used a very broad brush and set precedent affecting all other homeschoolers in California. This was a very calculated ruling from the court.

Yes, this is true. Once a court decision is published it becomes a reference for future cases. So, though, yes, Toni is right that this is a case about the Long family, it is now CA precident for homeschoolers. That is the issue.

The family chose other legal representation through their umbrella school. HSLDA can't force themselves onto families. All that HSLDA can do is try to prevent the case ruling from becoming "common law" by having it depublished (or something like that). Umbrella schools are not protected in the state of CA. They have not one ounce more rights or protections than any other homeschooling family.

I've hesitated to say this throughout this debacle, but I won't be signing any petition like this and not because of HSLDA either.

1--I don't believe petitions work.

2--Even if they do, this ruling was only about the family in the first place. It never said it would affect any other homeschoolers BUT this family.

I can't believe how so many are missing this fact. The father was highly abusive and the courts ordered them to either put the kids in school or lose the kids and it's all because of the abuse NOT homeschooling!!!

Please actually read the court documents before jumping the gun. Of course, one can thank World Net Daily for their propoganda reporting and for HSLDA to be stepping in when they don't need to be. In California, homeschooling was never really legal to begin with. You guys have been getting by with a backdoor form that allows you to homeschool via a "private school" covering, but that covering was never questioned.

So technically, all of you are breaking the law anyway. BUT your right to homeschool is not being threatened by this, ONLY this family.

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:-gfLatRwHh8J:www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/nonpub/B192601.DOC+JD00773&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:Jejyh04wbVgJ:www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B192878.PDF+B192878&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

And to quote, because it is true:

This is quoted from the first link you provided:

and we have held in our companion opinion that home schooling by a non-credentialed teacher is not permitted under California’s compulsory education law.

Please explain how this statement says that home schooling by a non-credentialed teacher is permitted. This clearly states that their opinion is that it is not permitted. So, how can that not affect others? They do not mention that their opinion pertains only to this one case. I'm not sticking up for this family, but I think the court took the abuse issue and used it to make a blanket statement regarding homeschooling in general.

Dear gothicgyrl ,Thank you for being the voice of reason . You always urge people to check the facts, sit back and reflect on hot button issues prior to coming to what is almost always a hasty conclusion based on on a appeal to authority. I am glad you posted this case . How very sad for those poor kids.

This is quoted from the first link you provided:

and we have held in our companion opinion that home schooling by a non-credentialed teacher is not permitted under California’s compulsory education law.

Please explain how this statement says that home schooling by a non-credentialed teacher is permitted. This clearly states that their opinion is that it is not permitted. So, how can that not affect others? They do not mention that their opinion pertains only to this one case. I'm not sticking up for this family, but I think the court took the abuse issue and used it to make a blanket statement regarding homeschooling in general.

Because you and others are reading WAY TOO MUCH into that one statement, that's why. It simple says "we've always held" that does not translate in to "ban homeschooling". It simply means they've always believed that it should not be legal AND they thought it wasn't per the statutes and laws.

It does not translate into "ban homeschooling" and it never did.

And, since you asked, what some are not understanding is that homeschooling was never really legal in CA in the first place!! For the last 20 some odd years, you all have been getting away with not properly filing your R-4 and nowhere does the ruling state that ALL teaching in California must be done by a certified teacher. All a family has to do is declare their home a private school. The ruling has been misinterpreted to include ALL California homeschoolers, when it applies ONLY to the two Long children.

I don’t know why this case is such a surprise. The judge is ruling from existing laws and precedent. If you homeschool in California, perhaps its time to stop being paranoid about potential oversight and lobby for some laws that protect your ability to home educate. But first, dump your umbrella school and file your own affidavit.

All you need to do is just that--dump your umbrella school and file your own affidavit. That's it. Because the judge is correct--if you are filed as a "private school" your children should be IN attendance at said private school and having them enrolled in an umbrella school IS breaking the law. I'll grant you that it is a minor nitpick on the part of the judge, the play on the wording. But it's still worded that way and as long as you have YOUR OWN R-4 and are NOT with an umbrella school--there is nothing to fear.

In the other lengthy CA thread you posted: "It is only in regard to this family and it always only ever was."

I don't know if you saw that LizzyBee responded to you, but she did with this:

"Court cases are never about only the people involved in the case. The US is a common law country, and common law is the law created by courts. Court rulings form precedent and are binding on lower courts in the same jurisdiction. On any issue not addressed by specific statutes, common law is the law of the land."

and

"...judges make law as well as interpret it. Here's a quote from wikipedia: "When there is no authoritative statement of the law, common law judges have the authority and duty to make law by creating precedent.""

Here is a very interesting article on how judges make law: http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-08-23-forum-judges_x.htm

I think it is important to also note the power of a single *published* court case as Ellie stated here in the same thread:

"It had a court case in 1994 which decided that homeschools were the equivalent of private schools in Texas, which are completely unregulated by the state. So Californians would love to have a similar court case, since the private school law is similar."

And as Surfside Academy put it:

"The court could have limited their decision to this one family in question but instead decided to publish their decision. By doing this, the court has basically said that this case can be now be used as precedent for all future cases against homeschoolers."

So you may not think it is serious, but many of us see good reason to think it is.

As for California homeschooling via the ISP being illegal - it is something I have been wondering about myself as I have read the law. It does not look like that *is* a legal option, but I really don't know. We file an R4.

Kate--if you file an R4, this would not apply to you then, you are technically safe. :)

I know that the lower courts can set precedent for other proceedings, I watch enough Law and Order to know this (BIG GRIN)..

but my whole point was that HSLDA, WND and the LA Times got this whole thing wrong by immediately declaring "OMGZ the homeschoolers are jeapordy" when you never really were to begin with.

NOW, what you should be doing, instead of signing a petition, is getting a precedent set that would make it fully legal for you to homeschool in CA, without all this unnecessary R4 hoopla. That's what I'm calling for.

All the rest is fear mongering. That's exactly what it is.

As for California homeschooling via the ISP being illegal - it is something I have been wondering about myself as I have read the law. It does not look like that *is* a legal option, but I really don't know. We file an R4.

On paper, your R-4 and Sunland's and the big ol' Christian school down the street and Harker Academy and any other private school all look exactly the same.

The court disallowed *all* homeschooling by parents who are not certified teachers, whether they file their own R-4 or enroll in someone else's private school.

Pay close attention to

1) California educational law does not make provisions for “home school”.

2) California educational law is very specific in terms of compulsory eduction.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:

The only references to certification have to do with the fact that the Long children are “enrolled” in a private school (Sunland Christian), when they’re actually being taught at home by their mother. The educational law clearly states that children can be taught IN a private school, or by a certified teacher. The Long children’s educational circumstances do not follow either model.

And I'll restate it again, because it bears repeating:

Nowhere does the ruling state that ALL teaching in California must be done by a certified teacher. All a family has to do is declare their home a private school. The ruling has been misinterpreted to include ALL California homeschoolers, when it applies ONLY to the two Long children.

The ruling never said it disallowed ALL homeschooling. It said it disallowed it for this family and that they were under the belief that homeschooling was not legal to begin with.

Ok...I'm going to throw a can of worms into the conversation. I personally do file and R-4 and declare myself as my own private school so I'm not panicing but the ruling is still disturbing. By reading this decision, how can this not affect the thousands of students who are attending charter schools? In California, many public schools districts have created charter schools where kids attend school either 2 days and are homeschooled the remaining 3 days or they are entirely homeschooled but still can take part if field trips, extra curricular classes, etc. provided by the charter school.

The student is OFICIALLY enrolled in a PUBLIC school but yet the majority of the teaching is being provided by a "non-certified" teacher, ie. the parent. The schools districts still benefit by receiving money for each student because charter schools are "public schools" but if you read the court's ruling, aren't the school districts themselves breaking the law?? Here in San Diego alone, there are thousands of kids who attend these charter schools.

I think your key words are "still technically a public school student". It's one of the reasons I will not use any type of charter--they are still public school kids.

And I think that's why the law may not be touching these kids because presumably, there is "oversight" due to the "technically still a public schooler" thing.

It does make no sense when you look at the whole thing. For arguments sake, let's say this does affect all people claiming 'private school'. This also means that those private schools where there are kids in attendance in physical form, may now be shut down because they don't have "credentialed teachers" teaching.

And this is why I feel this ruling will not be as bad as some are claiming--you will have a mass exodus of kids being enrolled in a public school system (per the law's creditial thing) that cannot handle the influx of kids nor are their enough schools for the number of kids (or books or teachers). Not to mention, think of all the High Profile or famous people who homeschool or tutor their kids (Will Smith is one)--they will NOT stand by idlelly and allow this to happen.

That's just it--it won't happen because it can't. There are simply too many children involved and not enough schools or teachers or books or even money to cover these kids and do what everyone is claiming this ruling is calling for.

Toni...I hear what you're saying but honestly, when has the courts or the government really considered the repurcussions of their stupid decisions? The State Department of Education is jumping up and down at this ruling because they're seeing $$$ but yet the system is a mess and totally underfunded. One city alone here in San Diego is laying off over 400 teachers; another city 120. Our dear D.O.E. can't handle the kids it has now.

It's the typical "make a snap decision first and figure out the particulars later." It's a joke!

Toni...I hear what you're saying but honestly, when has the courts or the government really considered the repurcussions of their stupid decisions? The State Department of Education is jumping up and down at this ruling because they're seeing $$$ but yet the system is a mess and totally underfunded. One city alone here in San Diego is laying off over 400 teachers; another city 120. Our dear D.O.E. can't handle the kids it has now.

It's the typical "make a snap decision first and figure out the particulars later." It's a joke!

And I completely agree with you on this!! That's exactly why I feel this ruling will go no further than the family involved and I'm actually quite peeved that HSLDA has involved themselves in this. They've repeatedly said they are not a member family, they state CLEARLY on their website that they do NOT get involved in child abuse cases (and that is the bottom line here--this is a child abuse case), they are only in this because the family "homeschooled" (when they did not as it was shown in the court documents)... so why are they involved again?

There is no need for them to be because your right to homeschool is not being threatened here. That's the way I see it. Also, the LA Times are responsible for the fear mongering that they put in to the news article--they totally turned it in to an us vs them argument when it was or should have been ONLY about this family (and they only picked it up because they knew they could twist it to work)..

and now look what it has done--it has caused panic when there should be none. Those that are following the law as it is written have no reason to fear. Those that are doing what this family did, which is technically illegal, yes--they should be scared.

But the way to unscare themselves is to pull out of their umbrella and file the R-4 themselves. Then the government will go back to not caring, like they have for the past 20 some odd years.

(I am off to work now, but I'll try and join later tonight).

This was the main story on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle this morning.

Yes, this WILL set a precedent for ALL homeschoolers, including those who HS through a charter.

It is a big deal! The jest of the ruling is two part. One, the children must (by law) be taught by a credentialed teacher. And two, the children and the credentialed teacher MUST be in the same physical space during class time.

This is infuriating! The teachers union said "we're happy". Of course they are! We homeschoolers have always been a thorn in their side. We produce educated students!

One more thing....Here is a direct quote from Justice H. Walter Croskey, "A primary purpose of the educational system is to TRAIN school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare"

Can you believe this? Where in the world did this justice come from?! This is absurd. His quote alone should make all of us stand up and fight for our childrens right to an EDUCATION!

Good day to all....I am now off to esign the petition!

Moki4

Those that are doing what this family did, which is technically illegal, yes--they should be scared.

But the way to unscare themselves is to pull out of their umbrella and file the R-4 themselves. Then the government will go back to not caring, like they have for the past 20 some odd years.

But private ISP's are NOT illegal and operating under an ISP umbrella (prior to this ruling) was not violating the private school option that CA allows for.

The real issue is that this is an abuse case. And the court says they want children to be educated in public so that teachers and other people (strangers) in authority can know/detect when there is abuse. If this is their arguement I would venture to say that there are far more cases in which children are abused in the presents of people other than their own family. I think my kids being made to go to public school is abuse!

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/California.pdf

In regards to the private ISP issue, please see option 4 of above pdf. Note that a private ISP must comply with education code 48222 which are:

a) instructors must be capable of teaching.

b) instruction must be in English.

c) instruction must be in several branches of study required in public schools.

d) attendance must be kept in a register

e) a private school affadavit must be filed with the Supt. of Public Instruction btw Oct. 1 and Oct. 15 of each school year.

In particular:

"a private K-12 school is not within the jurisdiction of the State Department of Education for the purpose of approval of courses or course content or issuance of regulations, except as provided by law."

JFYI:)

What really is amazing me is how well everyone thinks they understand CA educational code when they do not even live here. Several of you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. And yes, that is pretty brazen of me to say but there it is, feel free to give me a negative rep.

It may not be as big a deal as some are making it, but it is not nearly as light as issue as some would suggest. It is not something to be taken lightly.

That this case centers around a family that has been accused of abuse is irrelevant. We don't make yard sticks illegal simply because some parent somewhere beat their child with it. We don't make cars illegal simply because someone used it as a weapon of violence at some point. The fact that this judge made such a blanket statement about homeschooling because of one family's issues is completely absurd.

My question regarding the ISP has to do with the fact that they are not filing their own R4. I was reading the CA law and the private school affidavit site and it did not seem like there was a provision for using and ISP and having someone else file the R4 for you. I really have no idea - and I have always taken it for granted that CA Homeschool Network and HSLDA know better than I do on the interpretation of the laws. I will say that I actually feel safer having filed an R4 than I would if I was using an ISP because I know our school qualifies as a private school and we school in the private school building - our home - by the way the law is written.

Anyway, I enjoy the discussion between those from every place. I think it helps us to process it all by all the discussion. I think it is fascinating that so many can interpret the same information in different ways. It makes the fact the court interpreted the law in the way they did a little more understandable. I don't agree with them, of course, but I can see how they might get there from all this discussion! :)

You all should know me well enough by now to know that if I'm calling anyone anything, I'm doing it to your face, never behind your back.

And all I can say is I am sorry you all feel like you have to be up in arms over this. Your right to homeschool is not being threatened and it never was. It says so right in all court documents. However, please do what you wish, just don't lump all of us in with you because some of us don't feel the same way you do.

And Daisy--I don't have to live there to know what's going on and I certainly don't need to live there to know the law. A simple google search turns up a perfectly good non-hslda explanation of it and it still proves you are not in the danger you feel.

No No No, GG!

The interpretation is that, according to the HSLDA, "CA is now on the path to being the only state to deny HS'ing families the right to teach their own children".

It doesn't matter if you file as a private school!

What matters is if you have a teachers credential, or not. That is it.

Charter schools beware. If students are not at the physical "school" with a credentialed teacher, than it is illegal.

This is not hogwash.

I guess that maybe HSLDA may see this as there way in to get decent legislation for homeschoolers on the books. I don't know, maybe not.

Yes, San Diego County is in bad shape as well as the rest of the state of CA.

I don't think so. HSLDA has long advised against that.

San Diego used to be a mecca for hsers.:( It's where I started hsing in 1982. I was a "founding mom" of one of CFS's park groups although I was never in official leadership :D

My question regarding the ISP has to do with the fact that they are not filing their own R4. I was reading the CA law and the private school affidavit site and it did not seem like there was a provision for using and ISP and having someone else file the R4 for you. I really have no idea - and I have always taken it for granted that CA Homeschool Network and HSLDA know better than I do on the interpretation of the laws. I will say that I actually feel safer having filed an R4 than I would if I was using an ISP because I know our school qualifies as a private school and we school in the private school building - our home - by the way the law is written.

There is nothing in the education code about private schools offering independent study.

The private school law only says that private schools must file an affidavit annually. It has always been HSLDA's opinion (and most other legal experts, including most of the state superintendents of schools and the district attorneys in most counties) that it is just as legal to file an affidavit as it is for one affidavit to be filed for several homeschooled families (to put it the opposite way you did). The only requirement to "qualify" as a private school is to file an affidavit (there are some other minor things, but since no one is ever allowed to check those, it really doesn't matter what they are). The reason that the hsing pioneers began the whole ISP thing is that they believed that one person (or school) filing an affidavit with a bunch of dc on it made them more anonymous than filing affidavits individually with only a couple of dc, clearly marking them as homeschoolers.

If Sunland Christian School has filed an affidavit, then it is, according to Section 33190 of the California Education Code, a private school. Section 48222 says that children are exempt from public school attendance if they are enrolled in a private school which has complied with Section 33190.

If Sunland Christian School has filed an affidavit, then it is, according to Section 33190 of the California Education Code, a private school. Section 48222 says that children are exempt from public school attendance if they are enrolled in a private school which has complied with Section 33190.

I think it remains to be seen what the court(s) think about that option - and whether or not SCS filed too. I do see what you are saying, but I don't know that the courts will agree.

There is nothing in the education code about private schools offering independent study.

The private school law only says that private schools must file an affidavit annually. It has always been HSLDA's opinion (and most other legal experts, including most of the state superintendents of schools and the district attorneys in most counties) that it is just as legal to file an affidavit as it is for one affidavit to be filed for several homeschooled families (to put it the opposite way you did). The only requirement to "qualify" as a private school is to file an affidavit (there are some other minor things, but since no one is ever allowed to check those, it really doesn't matter what they are). The reason that the hsing pioneers began the whole ISP thing is that they believed that one person (or school) filing an affidavit with a bunch of dc on it made them less anonymous that all of them each filing affidavits with only a couple of dc, clearly marking them as homeschoolers.

You explained that so much better than I did. :)

Did anyone else see today's edition of the San Diego Union Tribune? The front page had an article about the court's ruling and the potential impact on homeschoolers. Go to the front page of the Local section and there's at least 3 different articles on how budget cuts are going to affect local schools...fewer teachers, larger class sizes, programs taken away, etc. Right behind that is a "feel good" story about a local student who was one of 30 students picked nationwide that was accepted into a Scholars Porgram from Stanford University. Now this may come as a shock but.....she was homeschooled! :eek: Her mom must have been one of those "credentialed" teachers everyone is talking about!

Did anyone else see today's edition of the San Diego Union Tribune? The front page had an article about the court's ruling and the potential impact on homeschoolers. Go to the front page of the Local section and there's at least 3 different articles on how budget cuts are going to affect local schools...fewer teachers, larger class sizes, programs taken away, etc. Right behind that is a "feel good" story about a local student who was one of 30 students picked nationwide that was accepted into a Scholars Porgram from Stanford University. Now this may come as a shock but.....she was homeschooled! :eek: Her mom must have been one of those "credentialed" teachers everyone is talking about!

ROTFLOL!

What's even more important than this is this thread:

http://67.202.21.157/forums/showthread.php?t=11685

You all should check it out. It appears that you're fraughting for naught because your Govinator has your back (and as I said there, they homeschooled as well)..

I still don't understand why one would not see this petition as a positive thing to participate it. This is simply a collection of signature for a court petition to depublish the ruling. Regardless of what you think the ruling might or might not cover, I think it has some ambiguous language and is better taken "out of circulation."

Is there a reason to be against the request to depublish this ruling?

I still don't understand why one would not see this petition as a positive thing to participate it. This is simply a collection of signature for a court petition to depublish the ruling. Regardless of what you think the ruling might or might not cover, I think it has some ambiguous language and is better taken "out of circulation."

Is there a reason to be against the request to depublish this ruling?

If you want the truth--yes, it's HSLDA. Period. I will do nothing that they call for. They don't speak for me, no matter how much they pretend to.

Of course, that's just my answer to your question. You'll find many here support them. I don't and won't. And no, they don't work for me no matter how I feel. I will vehemently stand against that as well.

Well I signed the petition, and I don't live in CA. I'm not sure if that matters or not, but I do think this case can set a precedence for other states to jump in and come up with wacky resolutions like this judge did. I personally disagree with almost everything that was stated. I can see George Washington and Thomas Jefferson rolling over in their graves right now! In my opinion I don't see how CA even allows Catholics or other church/synagogue schools to be in exsistence! According to their laws the education has to be public and secular. I have many other opinions, but I am doing my best to keep quiet about them since this isn't really a political forum.

I don't care for some of what HSLDA stands for.

But I like them a lot better than that ninth circuit court of appeals.

And to the extent that HSLDA helps to overturn this ruling or make it a private one, I'm all for it.

BTW, this is not the first time that a family in CA has gotten involved in family court and been ordered not to homeschool. I know one family personally to which this has happened. I was sorry about it, and surprised that they really didn't seem to have any recourse. It was a very different situation, though. I'm curious now as to whether that decision was published or not, but don't know how to find out without invading someone's privacy in a very strange and difficult situation.