Menu

Help me find chapter books for dd6, please!

My dd is 6, about to start first grade, and has become a total bookworm this summer. The beginning reader books are a breeze for her. She recently discovered the Magic School Bus chapter books and loves them. At first she picked them out for me to read to her, but then discovered that she can read them herself. At the rate she's going, she'll have read them all soon. What other chapter books would be appropriate for a 6 year old? I don't care if it's just fun-to-read fiction, I just want her to keep reading and loving books!

Series my kids enjoyed around that age:

*Animal Ark

*Pony Pals

*Cam Jansen

*Nancy Drew Notebooks

*Encyclopedia Brown

*Magic Tree House

These are cute, fun books that they can read quickly. I think non-challenging books in their free reading time can really build their fluency and confidence.

My dd really liked Nancy Drew Notebooks/Namcy Drew and the Clue Crew, Rainbow Fairies, and Magic Tree House.

Also check with the librarian in the children's dept. Our library has "transitional" chapter books mixed with the "regular" books, but marked with an orange sticker on the spine to make them easy to identify.

My dd is seven and just got into chapter books. She has read and enjoyed: Donavan's Word Jar; Socks; Freckle Juice; The Paint Box Kid and The Chalk Box Kid; Cora Frear; Rosalie, My Rosalie; The Stories Julian Tells and More Stories Julian Tells; Starring Prima; My Haunted House and the other Araminta Spookie books; the Kaya series of American Girl books.

Still to pick up on her library list: Basil of Baker Street; Emily's Runaway Imagination; The Enormous Egg; Boo's Dinosaur; Clementine and sequels; sequels to The Cricket in Times Square; All of a Kind Family; Henner's Lydia.

A good resource is the Charlotte Mason bookfinder.

I saw someone mentioned Junie B. Jones books. If you don't know anything about these books, make sure you investigate them before getting them for your daughter. They have been banned in our house and the houses of many people I know due to extremely poor writing and the attitude of the main character.

Tara

My 6.5 DD is the same way. She LOVES Junie B. Jones, books by Kate DiCamillo (Because of Winn-Dixie, The Tale of Despereaux, etc.), Magic Tree House, Little House on the Prairie. She's read one of the Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket and loved it - and wants more. She started to read Nancy Drew, but it didn't hold her attention for long - we'll try that again in about a year.

I also let her pick things out on her own at the library. She's good about telling me what she likes and doesn't like and why.

Oh! The American Girl books - she likes those, too.

what about the classics designed for early readers?

DD loved Sarah Plain and Tall early

Mr. Poppers Penquins

Any EBWhite books (not just Charlotte)

Roald Dahl books - Charlie & Choc Factory, The BFG, etc

Wind in the Willows

Dr. DoLittle

The Saturday's

The Borrower's

A to Z Mysteries (light reading but nothing that I saw to protest)

Look at Amblesideonline.org reading list for 1st grade/2nd grade.

Be careful to set good habits now... some readers are just like junk food (ex Junie B.) not to mention model very bad behavior for young children.

Another tidbit... check behind her & be sure she is seeking definitions for NEW WORDS... perhaps using a dictionary with you at times & you orally define for her at times.

Edited by Dirtroad

My DD loves the Fairy Chronicles books. They actually have a pretty high reading level (Lexile, I think? can't remember where I looked that up), but she devoured them. The illustrations gorgeous, the values taught are admirable, one of them is about a homeschooled girl, and some have extra activities and things to learn (one got my DD6 hassling my mom about how bad smoking is for her). We love them. The other recommendations here are great too.

My girls have enjoyed most of the titles that have already been mentioned, especially the Rainbow Magic Fairy books, but here are some others:

"B" is For Betsy, by Carolyn Haywood

Betsy and Billy, by Carolyn Haywood

Back to School With Betsy, by Carolyn Haywood

Betsy and the Boys, by Carolyn Haywood

The "Just Grace" books, by Charise Mericle Harper (Just Grace, Just Grace Walks the Dog, Still Just Grace, Just Grace Goes Green)

The "Ellie McDoodle" books, by Ruth McNally Barshaw (Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen Will Travel, and Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School)

The "Mallory" Books, by Laurie Friedman (Honestly, Mallory; Step Fourth, Mallory; Back to School Mallory; Campfire Mallory; Red, White and True Blue, Mallory; Happy Birthday, Mallory; Mallory vs. Max; In Business With Mallory; Mallory on the Move; Heart to Heart With Mallory; Mallory on Board)

Dick King-Smith books (A Mouse Called Wolf; Babe The Gallant Pig; The Invisible Dog; Funny Frank; The Terrible Trins; etc...)

The Dimwood Forrest series, by Avi (Ragweed; Poppy; Poppy and Rye; Ereth's Birthday; Poppy's Return; Poppy and Ereth)

Clarice Bean books, by Lauren Child (Utterly Me, Clarice Bean; Clarice Bean: Don't Look Now; Clarice Bean Spells Trouble; etc...)

Best Friends books by Jenny Dale (Snowflake and Sparkle; Pogo and Pip; Bramble and Berry; Carrot and Clover; Lottie and Ludo; Amber and Alfie; Hattie and Henry; Skipper and Sky; Blossom and Beany)

Dick King-Smith books (A Mouse Called Wolf; Babe The Gallant Pig; The Invisible Dog; Funny Frank; The Terrible Trins; etc...)

I was going to mention Dick King-Smith, too. A favorite series of ours were the Sophie books.

Regards,

Kareni

We're currently reading King-Smith's Cuckoo Child; it's a nice read. (We didn't make it through Martin's Mice, for some reason.)

My kids also enjoyed Milly-Molly-Mandy books. They didn't seem like very hard reads to me, and each chapter is free-standing.