Menu

Look at what was just in my backyard!!

She is beautiful!

When we lived in CT, there was an albino buck in the area. He sired twins who used to come up to our house. I think the locals called the 1/2 albino deer, "pie bald" I think, but I don't know why or how they got that name.

What a magical sight to see in your backyard!

When we lived in CT, there was an albino buck in the area. He sired twins who used to come up to our house. I think the locals called the 1/2 albino deer, "pie bald" I think, but I don't know why or how they got that name.

Piebald and skewbald are old English terms for mixed coloring in animals: black and white patches = piebald, and brown and white (or really any color other than black, plus white) = skewbald. Although apparently many people just use "piebald" for any mixed coloring. If the twin fawns you saw were brown & white, then the white buck wasn't a true "albino" -- there are lots of genes besides albinism that can cause white coat patterns in animals (the white patterns in Pinto or Appaloosa horses for example) and there is a "pinto" type gene that occurs in deer. (But if it has a pink nose and pink eyes, it's an albino.)

Jackie

What a magical sight to see in your backyard!

Piebald and skewbald are old English terms for mixed coloring in animals: black and white patches = piebald, and brown and white (or really any color other than black, plus white) = skewbald. Although apparently many people just use "piebald" for any mixed coloring. If the twin fawns you saw were brown & white, then the white buck wasn't a true "albino" -- there are lots of genes besides albinism that can cause white coat patterns in animals (the white patterns in Pinto or Appaloosa horses for example) and there is a "pinto" type gene that occurs in deer. (But if it has a pink nose and pink eyes, it's an albino.)

Jackie

Jackie....thanks for this info! We never saw the buck, but the locals made sure we knew about him. :) The twins were brown and white...and the only ones like that we've ever seen. We just assumed the white buck was their sire.

Most likely it is a recessive gene for the white-tailed deer. We have a group in our area too (Central Texas) and they are quite striking! The white deer in our area are called 'Pie-bald' because most will have a spot or two of brown somewhere on their bodies--but 100% white ones are also found. My friends who regularly hunt deer try to stay away from the white ones--'they are just too pretty' (quote from a 300 pound 6'8" burly man!).

Apparently white is a normal color variation. A white deer bred to a white deer will most likely have all white babies--if they breed with a 'regular' brown deer the babies will most likely be either solid brown or spotted.

Luckily the white deer are not true albinos---albinos usually have other health issues.

--

I have a white german shepherd--same type of genetic thing... his parents were both white (going back many generations). He is NOT an albino--he just does not have a pigment in his fur.