Menu

Secular middle school/intro logic... what would you like to see?

nmoira

I have a friend who is an under-worked technical writer and is interested in writing a secular logic program. What would you like to see? Either specifics or "a program like x, but secular" is helpful.

What about something like Life of Fred; a story format. He could have different books for the different branches.....informal, formal, symbolic and mathematical.

Also I don't so much need teacher helps as I need the answers to whatever questions are asked. So if it were a story format we would learn the lessons in the story and then apply it to whatever exercises there were but I would have the answers to verify we were on the right track. I don't need a separate book telling me how to do the lesson or how to present the lesson, etc.

And now maybe I am asking too much but if he could make it so my 3rd grader, my 7th grader and my 9th grader were all able to work through it so I don't have to look for a different program for each of them, that would just be icing. I would be willing to build a small statue in his honor!!!!! :D

What about something like Life of Fred; a story format. He could have different books for the different branches.....informal, formal, symbolic and mathematical.

Ooh, I like that.

I have a 5th and 7th grader. They will both start logic this year with the Dandylion series. When I was looking, I would have liked something that started gently but ramped up a bit quicker for a middle school student just starting out. I haven't actually used anything yet to know what I really like and what I don't though.

I have a friend who is an under-worked technical writer and is interested in writing a secular logic program. What would you like to see? Either specifics or "a program like x, but secular" is helpful.

I would like something like Traditional Logic by Cothran. I'm not interested in "extra" stuff because the closer to high school kids get, the less time they have for a subject like logic.

Also I don't so much need teacher helps as I need the answers to whatever questions are asked. So if it were a story format we would learn the lessons in the story and then apply it to whatever exercises there were but I would have the answers to verify we were on the right track. I don't need a separate book telling me how to do the lesson or how to present the lesson, etc.

:iagree: I would LOVE this!!!!

Jackie

1. Thorough treatment of the topic.

2. Background info for teacher--ala Rightstart math--so I am learning WHY I am teaching this, in this particular way.

3. Scripted\well-organized\logical!!

4. No angry secularists please. As long as it's an evenhanded, nonsectarian treatment of logic as a discipline, I personally have no problem with the question of the existence of God or other religious questions that are relevant to the discussion.

5. Reference list for further reading and study.

6. I prefer discussion to written exercises, so a format that lends itself to discussion would be appreciated.

I'd be ecstatic to see well done, agenda-free courses on any of the branches of Logic.

The current offering for the home education market are beneath contempt in the overwhelming intrusion of the publisher/author's political and theological positions into the works.

I'd like to see materials no family would feel the need to shrink from due to "world-view" advocacy. Just straight-forward logic.

Too much to hope for?

Bill (ever hopeful :D)

• 2 weeks later...

What timing! I recently joined this site (hello!) in hopes of finding secular middle-school logic materials. I've rejected several and am beginning to despair. I'd like to see something along the lines of "The Art of Argument," but without the political/social biases and the use of hot-button subjects such as abortion and rape (yes, rape) as examples.

With that in mind, can anyone recommend something? We've long since finished all of the Dandylion and Logic Safari type materials, as well as several books on analogies, etc., and are champing at the bit for something ... more. Is either "Introductory Logic" or "Traditional Logic" secular, or at least "secular enough"?

The Canon Press logic texts are not secular enough. I'm willing to have some religion in the mix, but that was way too much for this religious gal. (It's very Calvinist.)

I don't know about Cothran.

I would love to see a logic text that doesn't have an agenda. I've been looking for one and failing. So put me on the list!

• 1 year later...
Oh, I just saw this was from two years ago. I hope one is in the works. :)

Sorry, he managed to get full time employment and is now a somewhat overworked technical writer. The project is on indefinite hold.

Sorry, he managed to get full time employment and is now a somewhat overworked technical writer. The project is on indefinite hold.

So what do you plan to use instead? I mean, beyond the Critical Thinking, Prufrock and Mindbender workbooks.

TiA :)

I know this is an old post but since some are still interested in a secular logic program I thought you might look into this. The link to the sample looks amazing. I haven't seen any samples of the TMs but I'd love to have all of his books just to read to my dc. He also has written this book that I'm thinking of getting...looks interesting. You can find the primary and middle school books that are shown on the Montclair website on Amazon but I only saw one TM (to much $ imo). Anyway just an FYI for you.

I'm planning to use The Snake and the Fox. It's secular and written for a high school or a first year college elective course, but I think can be used for middle school as well. I would describe it as decidedly light for a college text, but much could be gained from running class seminars (something the author recommends), so the material shouldn't be too difficult for a motivated middle grade student. It's structured not unlike Life of Fred in that some of the teaching takes place in the solutions in the back. As you can see from one of the Amazon reviews, the student is expected to think their way through the material, something the reviewer in question obviously did not like.

Our local Saturday Academy occasionally offers courses based on the IAPC materials mentioned by 5LittleMonkeys. I purchased the first two years of the program a few years back. Unfortunately, as amazing as they are, they are designed to be facilitated seminars, and much is lost by doing them one-on-one. It's more effort than I want to put in, but if SA offers Harry Stottlemeier again in the next year or two, I'll have DD the Elder enrolled in a heartbeat.

Aime and Moira, thank you very much for the links. I was relieved to see some secular logic books; this is the first time I have seen these references. I have subscribed to this thread so that I can access the Amazon links when its time to buy these books for my dd. I have also downloaded the Harry Stottlemeier book from the eric.gov link for reading myself.

Our local Saturday Academy occasionally offers courses based on the IAPC materials mentioned by 5LittleMonkeys. I purchased the first two years of the program a few years back. Unfortunately, as amazing as they are, they are designed to be facilitated seminars, and much is lost by doing them one-on-one. It's more effort than I want to put in, but if SA offers Harry Stottlemeier again in the next year or two, I'll have DD the Elder enrolled in a heartbeat.

Do you think these books could be used with a philosophically savvy person :tongue_smilie: without the $$$$$ guides? I took these off my list years ago because of the price and forgot about them. Now that we're doing Sophie's World and have an interest, I wonder if just the text would encourage enough conversation.

We plan on getting The Snake and the Fox for 8th.

Do you think these books could be used with a philosophically savvy person :tongue_smilie: without the $$$$$ guides? I took these off my list years ago because of the price and forgot about them. Now that we're doing Sophie's World and have an interest, I wonder if just the text would encourage enough conversation.
Since I've only seen the TM's for the first two years, I'd wait and see what the verdict is from the folks on the middle grade board. However, if the setup is similar, I suspect you'd get nowhere near the full experience out of it. Though running it for one with TM's it would be much more work than I'm willing to put in to adapt the materials for what would be, relatively speaking, a diminished experience outside its ideal seminar format. Is there any chance you could run it as a co-op and share the price of the TM with the other families? It would still be a tremendous amount of work on the part of the facilitator (IAPC actually runs training sessions), but I think you'd get the most out of it.

We plan on getting The Snake and the Fox for 8th.
There are usually cheap copies floating around, so it's a low risk proposition. I quite like it, though I wouldn't recommend as the sole text for upper level work. Dunno though, maybe my expectations are too high? :tongue_smilie:

Since I've only seen the TM's for the first two years, I'd wait and see what the verdict is from the folks on the middle grade board. However, if the setup is similar, I suspect you'd get nowhere near the full experience out of it. Though running it for one with TM's it would be much more work than I'm willing to put in to adapt the materials for what would be, relatively speaking, a diminished experience outside its ideal seminar format. Is there any chance you could run it as a co-op and share the price of the TM with the other families? It would still be a tremendous amount of work on the part of the facilitator (IAPC actually runs training sessions), but I think you'd get the most out of it.

I don't know if I'm that interested in the TM if you're going to throw around words like 'facilitator'. :tongue_smilie: It's something I may consider if dd keeps her interest.

I wonder if an older student and I could just read through the Stottlemeier books though and glean something from them? I'm just basing that on the sample I read. Not as a full logic program of coarse, maybe as a supplement. I'd hate to miss out on the books just because the TM is difficult to administer.

I'd be ecstatic to see well done, agenda-free courses on any of the branches of Logic.

The current offering for the home education market are beneath contempt in the overwhelming intrusion of the publisher/author's political and theological positions into the works.

I'd like to see materials no family would feel the need to shrink from due to "world-view" advocacy. Just straight-forward logic.

This.

I wonder if an older student and I could just read through the Stottlemeier books though and glean something from them? I'm just basing that on the sample I read. Not as a full logic program of coarse, maybe as a supplement. I'd hate to miss out on the books just because the TM is difficult to administer.

I'm going to read over the Stottlemeier pdf during our week off in April and see what I can come up with. I'm writing questions for Sophie's World and we've gleaned much from our discussions there.