Menu

feeling odd? funny? vulnerable that 3 icons of my childhood died this week...

Ed.....I hope you find financial peace in heaven. Your iconic words ring in my ears and make me smile!

Farrah....you travelled the cancer journey of cancer devastation with grace and dignity. I wanted to be you when I was a little girl. Your beauty was more than surface.

Michael...we lost a tremendous talent, an industry changing talent. A great man? Not so much. I hope you find total healing now.

Can I just say... My DH is outraged that there is not more press about Farrah. He loved that woman when he was 12. Loved her. I am sure there are many DHs out there that will agree...

I have headlines from a number of news outlets on my homepage, and news of Farrah's death is still featured on several of them.

She's on the front page of MSNBC, NPR, The New York Times, CNN, and a couple of my local paper's web sites.

Is he looking for it on tv? Could he be just missing it?

About how much news is devoted to Farrah. She died earlier today and we knew this was coming. Micheal Jackson died later in the day and his death was not expected. Being unexpected makes it bigger news.

Yes. Michael Jackson's death was a shock and unexpected, that why it's getting such a response. They are both great tragedies.

Can I just say... My DH is outraged that there is not more press about Farrah. He loved that woman when he was 12. Loved her. I am sure there are many DHs out there that will agree...

Yes, I even called my dh to tell him. It seems every boy had a Farrah poster in their room, at least the ones I knew.

I couldn't help thinking of the movie "The Wedding Singer" this afternoon where Adam Sandler's friend had the Michael Jackson jacket.

And Ed, of course. I never watched the Tonight Show but I sadly thought that if I won the PCH sweepstakes, he would not be at my door to deliver the check. I don't mean that sarcastically either. It is like a part of our generation is now gone and they will be missed.

I have been reading Why Beauty Matters (recommended by someone on the boards). It's been quite an interesting read, with lots of research data and Biblical points of view as well. One of the things noted is that men never forget the *it* girls of their generation, and each one is thought to have an iconic women that forever defines that man's ideal of what is beautiful. Farrah lit the torch for so many guys in that generation, including my dh. He will never get over that gorgeous mane of hair (and probably not that red swimsuit poster, either... still the #1 top selling pin-up of all time...).

Forgot to add that last night I also learned that my first high school steady passed away last month at age 48. He was preceded in death by his lovely wife only 5 months earlier. So Joanne, I am with you, feeling a little... no, a lot.... weird this evening. Definitely the end of an era. So I opened my Friday beer a day early in tribute to them all.

I actually heard about Farrah this in the middle of the day. I didn't hear about Michael Jackson until tonight when a co-worker mentioned it.

Holly