Menu

What do you do when you feel like a homeschool failure?

Update:

Thanks for all of your great responses last week. I've had lots of time to pray and think about what I want to do. I am definitely burned out and need a break. So I'm going to shift to unschooling and doing fun things for a while. But I really want to get the kids up to speed on the basics. So I thought I'd spend a little time on grammar and math each day. There's also been an idea floating around about visiting my parents in October. They want to help pay for a trip because we haven't seen them in over a year. I was trying to figure out how that would fit into a school schedule and thought that maybe I could just have a really long 'mostly-unschooling, but doing a little grammar and math daily' summer, and start our school year after the trip. If I did that we should be able to finish our next school year in July, which is normal for England.

So..... if I go with this plan, it would mean doing some grammar and math with the older boys daily and some phonics for the little ones. We would be done with everything in a couple of hours and I'd want to have ideas for things to do the rest of the day so the kids don't spend all the time on the computer.

Any suggestions for fun things to do, other than Wishbone Dawn's list? I can't seem to find the back articles on the website that she recommended, but I'll keep trying.

And I'm open to suggestions for ways to make the grammar and math fun. I've got the Timez Attack figured out and that's great. Any other ideas?

Thanks so much.

Last week I gave my oldest 2dc the placement tests for CLE language arts and they both bombed. I've been struggling with homeschool this year, mostly because of problems with my oldest. But the attitude and laziness has started seeping down to my 11yo, and I've had no enthusiasm. The bad scores last week really pushed me over the edge emotionally. Even now, almost a week later, I feel like I've failed as a homeschooler. I don't feel like my older ones are where they should be.

I read about some of your stories and wonder why my kids really don't want to learn anything. They do the work to get it done. They have no love of learning, no enthusiasm. Without a desire to learn, they're not retaining a lot. My 11yo still struggles with basic math facts. I've tried worksheets, Quarter Mile Math, math Wrap-Ups. Nothing seems to help. He's bright and is great with math concepts, but just can't remember the multiplication tables. My oldest has a terrible time with paying attention to what he's reading and retaining it.

I don't have money for tons of curriculum or to switch curriculum if something doesn't seem to be working. I can't afford the expensive programs with all the bells and whistles or the extra enrichment materials. The library is really bad and it's far away, with petrol costing a fortune we don't get there very often.

And I have no support. Literally I have no other homeschool moms to talk to. The only other homeschoolers near me are unschoolers.

And our lives are crazy. We spend so much time traveling that I really think that's had an effect as well. We haven't traveled a lot this year, but we have in years past. We bring things with us, and school gets done, but that's all. It just gets done with no activities, discussion, or comprehension.

And I don't know what I'm doing. I make all my curriculum decisions based on what I read here. There are no conventions. I can't ever flip through a book before I buy it. I can't even return a book and buy something else if I decide that it wasn't what I had expected.

I'm really wondering if I've failed my kids. But, then again, I really don't want to put them in the schools here. I visited the local school when #4 was a baby and I was feeling overwhelmed. I've never wanted to put a child in that school since then. I'm considering putting my oldest in the comprehensive, even though I've heard mixed things about it. I really, really wish there was a good small school here. I would enroll the kids in a heartbeat.

Please forgive the punctuation. I don't feel like proof reading right now. I'm not even sure why I'm writing this. There is no solution. I guess hugs would be appreciated. Or any advice that you could give. Thanks.

Edited by MeganP
new questions

:grouphug: I always feel like I can do better. We have just been through a major life change. We have been in survival mode since February. I have just tried to keep in mind that we are going to school through the summer. My motto has been "just do the next thing" until we get settled. I do have a suggestion, though. My kids are really doing well with Times Attack. There is free version to download. Good luck!

I don't have money for tons of curriculum or to switch curriculum if something doesn't seem to be working. I can't afford the expensive programs with all the bells and whistles or the extra enrichment materials. The library is really bad and it's far away, with petrol costing a fortune we don't get there very often.

And I have no support. Literally I have no other homeschool moms to talk to. The only other homeschoolers near me are unschoolers.

And our lives are crazy. We spend so much time traveling that I really think that's had an effect as well. We haven't traveled a lot this year, but we have in years past. We bring things with us, and school gets done, but that's all. It just gets done with no activities, discussion, or comprehension.

Aren't you one of the posters who is a missionary? If so, you might want to PM Dayle in Guatemala and show her this thread - she works with YWAM (and I used to, too, when I was single) and I've bombarded her with questions in the past about what it's like to work in missions while homeschooling (thinking that we might do it someday). She basically says that she has had to put her homeschooling/family life first before traveling/ministry opportunities. She fits those other things in as she can, around her homeschooling/family life. She's great to talk to about all that. And she has even less resources around her than you have - it has been interesting for me to hear how she is able to do what she DOES do, and how she has taken advantage of opportunities that she DOES have. She's very encouraging to chat with about these things. Anyway, hope that helps - and if you are not who I thought you were, I apologize!:D

:grouphug:

PLEASE don't base your homeschooling success or failure based on tests! Not even the CLE placements tests!! CLE LA is a rigorous program!! I don't give my ds those placements tests because I KNOW that if I don't review the info just before the test my ds will bomb too!

My dc are NO different than yours - get it done - and be done with schoolwork! All my boys want to do is play video games & watch TV! NOT!!

I have my 12yo ds do math & English flash cards almost everyday (during the school yr) because he forgets so easily. He gets 90+ on his CLE math tests but it's because of the review CLE math does PLUS the review I do prior to the test if he's weak in something.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: I always feel like I can do better. We have just been through a major life change. We have been in survival mode since February. I have just tried to keep in mind that we are going to school through the summer. My motto has been "just do the next thing" until we get settled. I do have a suggestion, though. My kids are really doing well with Times Attack. There is free version to download. Good luck!

I downloaded it. I can't figure out how math fits into it, but I didn't spend much time exploring. I'm sure ds will figure it out.

Aren't you one of the posters who is a missionary? If so, you might want to PM Dayle in Guatemala and show her this thread - she works with YWAM (and I used to, too, when I was single) and I've bombarded her with questions in the past about what it's like to work in missions while homeschooling (thinking that we might do it someday). She basically says that she has had to put her homeschooling/family life first before traveling/ministry opportunities. She fits those other things in as she can, around her homeschooling/family life. She's great to talk to about all that. And she has even less resources around her than you have - it has been interesting for me to hear how she is able to do what she DOES do, and how she has taken advantage of opportunities that she DOES have. She's very encouraging to chat with about these things. Anyway, hope that helps - and if you are not who I thought you were, I apologize!:D

I am a missionary. And I understand the concept of put the family first. I guess it's just the practice that's hard. I've cut back tremendously on actual ministry. But last year we didn't have a choice about our traveling. We were in the US for nearly 6 months in 3 different states, in some very cramped quarters much of the time because we were trying to raise support. After we got back we had house guests for 3 months. I didn't want them, but there really wasn't a choice. Dh runs a festival and the office was in our house until just a few months ago. It is absolute craziness at festival time, and all year long there are people in and out of the house for meetings with him, even now because he still works from home even though he doesn't have employees and volunteers working here.

My dc are NO different than yours - get it done - and be done with schoolwork! All my boys want to do is play video games & watch TV! NOT!!

I have my 12yo ds do math & English flash cards almost everyday (during the school yr) because he forgets so easily. He gets 90+ on his CLE math tests but it's because of the review CLE math does PLUS the review I do prior to the test if he's weak in something.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones.

I guess I'm going to have to ramp up the flash card usage. I'm just afraid that's going to make them hate school even more.

Thanks for the hugs, though.

Just thinking that maybe it might be time for a break and an opportunity to explore unschooling for a bit. You all seem to be in a real slump, the curriculum isn't working right now anyway and you have an unschooling community around you so why not try it for awhile?

I don't mean that unschooling is a cure-all. But it's what's there right now and it is a big break from what you're used to and sometimes, it's the break you really need.

I was an unschooler a couple of years back but was suffering from the symptoms you mentioned. I was bored, uninspired and the kids were following my lead. I made a complete break and jumped into curriculum. It was what I needed at the time and revitlized our homeschooling. Now I'm sort of settling in the middle and drawing from both experiences.

Heck, it's summer anyway. Why not call an end to the textbooks for now, let the kids unwind and have time to recover their curiousity by getting good and bored and kick back with some John Holt or Life Learning back issues (all availible as free PDFs at lifelearningmagazine.com).

I could write your post! There are days I get so discouraged about how far behind my kids are. At least I feel like they are behind. My ds11 also struggles with his math facts. Then I remind myself that this isn't a sprint, it is a marathon. I take each day as it comes and we keep plugging along. Not much advice other than you aren't the only one!

When you say they "bombed" the CLE tests, what do you mean? My older son is going into 5th grade, but he placed about mid-way through CLE LA 3. I went back to the beginning of CLE LA 3 so he could get what he needed. CLE says that if you have a child in 4th grade, you need to test them in 2nd and 3rd. CLE LA is a bit advanced and I wouldn't expect a child coming from another program to CLE to place right at grade level.

Besides, when I start feeling like a homeschooling failure, I talk to a ps child in the same grade and realize that, hey, I am doing GREAT!

If your kids don't want to learn for you, they will be even less inclined to learn with buddies to talk to while they work. PS would likely be 10 times worse.

When you say they "bombed" the CLE tests, what do you mean? My older son is going into 5th grade, but he placed about mid-way through CLE LA 3. I went back to the beginning of CLE LA 3 so he could get what he needed. CLE says that if you have a child in 4th grade, you need to test them in 2nd and 3rd. CLE LA is a bit advanced and I wouldn't expect a child coming from another program to CLE to place right at grade level.

Besides, when I start feeling like a homeschooling failure, I talk to a ps child in the same grade and realize that, hey, I am doing GREAT!

If your kids don't want to learn for you, they will be even less inclined to learn with buddies to talk to while they work. PS would likely be 10 times worse.

My oldest is finishing 7th grade now. I started him in the 5th grade test, thinking he would do fine with it. He got 60. He needed 63 to pass to 6th grade work. Several of the things he hasn't learned, but most he has learned and just got wrong. Some he just didn't read the directions.

My 11yo is finishing 5th grade. I was planning on sticking with GWG for him. I only gave him the 5th grade placement test because he wanted to take it. He got 40 on it. Now I'm considering switching him, wondering if he's actually learned anything with GWG. He does well on the exercises, but it seems like he hasn't retained it.

My only consolation was that a friend of my 13yo's was over and ds told him to take the 6th grade placement test with him. The friend couldn't do any of it. He didn't know what an adjective was, didn't know what capitalization meant, and had never heard of diagramming. Sad to say that it was a little bit of consolation.

Just thinking that maybe it might be time for a break and an opportunity to explore unschooling for a bit. You all seem to be in a real slump, the curriculum isn't working right now anyway and you have an unschooling community around you so why not try it for awhile?

I don't mean that unschooling is a cure-all. But it's what's there right now and it is a big break from what you're used to and sometimes, it's the break you really need.

I was an unschooler a couple of years back but was suffering from the symptoms you mentioned. I was bored, uninspired and the kids were following my lead. I made a complete break and jumped into curriculum. It was what I needed at the time and revitlized our homeschooling. Now I'm sort of settling in the middle and drawing from both experiences.

Heck, it's summer anyway. Why not call an end to the textbooks for now, let the kids unwind and have time to recover their curiousity by getting good and bored and kick back with some John Holt or Life Learning back issues (all availible as free PDFs at lifelearningmagazine.com).

I wouldn't even know how to unschool. If I don't do school, they just get really cranky saying there's nothing to do.

IThen I remind myself that this isn't a sprint, it is a marathon. I take each day as it comes and we keep plugging along. Not much advice other than you aren't the only one!

Thanks for the reminder.

And for the sympathy.

Sounds like you are in burn out mode. I realized a couple of years ago that every spring I would have a melt down. (actually my husband and I took a walk and I sobbed and told him what a failure I was etc) He said that I do this every spring. Wow! I hadn't even realized. Try just making the kids read for the summer. Or telling them they can explore any topic they find interesting, maybe just do science experiments for fun. I usually have my melt down when I don't think we are measuring up to the world's expectations. The what ifs really get to me. What if they had to go to school? What if someone saw their test scores? (It took me awhile to figure out that for me personally we weren't necessarily doing the public school curriculum and that the big state tests were all geared to that information. That did not mean that my children didn't have great skills or weren't intelligent............It just meant that maybe we hadn't gotten too deep into grammer yet or covered every math concept) Take a step back. figure out what you long range goals are. Can they read and understand what they are reading? The more they read the better they will write and spell. Can they express themselves through writing or good oral communication? Keep plugging away at math and it will click. With math you just need to be as consistent as possible. Start your day with it if you need to. Other than that explore history and science and put your effort in to creating great kids who love you, love each other. Revisit your goals and then take a break. Read a book together (aloud) take a walk, bake cookies. Have a little fun. You are more awesome than you think. don't ever underestimate the positive effects you are having on your children. Ruby

Sounds like you are in burn out mode. I realized a couple of years ago that every spring I would have a melt down. (actually my husband and I took a walk and I sobbed and told him what a failure I was etc) He said that I do this every spring. Wow! I hadn't even realized. Try just making the kids read for the summer. Or telling them they can explore any topic they find interesting, maybe just do science experiments for fun. I usually have my melt down when I don't think we are measuring up to the world's expectations. The what ifs really get to me. What if they had to go to school? What if someone saw their test scores? (It took me awhile to figure out that for me personally we weren't necessarily doing the public school curriculum and that the big state tests were all geared to that information. That did not mean that my children didn't have great skills or weren't intelligent............It just meant that maybe we hadn't gotten too deep into grammer yet or covered every math concept) Take a step back. figure out what you long range goals are. Can they read and understand what they are reading? The more they read the better they will write and spell. Can they express themselves through writing or good oral communication? Keep plugging away at math and it will click. With math you just need to be as consistent as possible. Start your day with it if you need to. Other than that explore history and science and put your effort in to creating great kids who love you, love each other. Revisit your goals and then take a break. Read a book together (aloud) take a walk, bake cookies. Have a little fun. You are more awesome than you think. don't ever underestimate the positive effects you are having on your children. Ruby

Thank you. This is really encouraging. Really. I think you are right on target here.

I read about some of your stories and wonder why my kids really don't want to learn anything. They do the work to get it done. They have no love of learning, no enthusiasm. Without a desire to learn, they're not retaining a lot.

My oldest is 11, and when he was younger, he loved to be learning all sorts of new things from reading. The last couple of years, he seems more bored, though he does still take some interest in finding out something new in his reading. He definitely just does the work to get it done. I wonder if it's a 10-15 year old phase or something. Where I seem to read the most stories of enthusiastic learning is from families with kids in the younger years, and then in the later high school years. Anyway, I've kind of scaled back my expectations in my mind, to him progressing in learning basic skills (no choice there, we just keep plugging along, snags and all), and giving him more leeway in his reading and what he writes about. I'm hoping that by at least putting skills in place during these years, his enthusiasm for learning content will pick up again later on. At least the skills will be there for him to use when he wants to learn something new later. I think the "love of learning" comes and goes in all of us at various times for various reasons, and it's OK.

I am a missionary. And I understand the concept of put the family first. I guess it's just the practice that's hard. I've cut back tremendously on actual ministry. But last year we didn't have a choice about our traveling. We were in the US for nearly 6 months in 3 different states, in some very cramped quarters much of the time because we were trying to raise support. After we got back we had house guests for 3 months. I didn't want them, but there really wasn't a choice. Dh runs a festival and the office was in our house until just a few months ago. It is absolute craziness at festival time, and all year long there are people in and out of the house for meetings with him, even now because he still works from home even though he doesn't have employees and volunteers working here.

:grouphug: Do your kids get involved with your missions work at all? If so, I'll bet they are learning SOMETHING anyway! Hang in there and cut yourself some slack. It does sound like you need a break after a very busy, chaotic year.

My son also switched to CLE after doing GWG and he placed mid 3rd grade when he was really end of 4th grade. However, my take on it is that you have to meet them where they are. If your 8th grader just does the parts in CLE 5th that he got wrong, then he can breeze through those Light Units and go on to 6th grade by Christmas or earlier. Have him do 6th at his pace and I would say he will likely finish that around next summer. Then he will only be a grade or so "behind." IMO, though, they are not behind persay...they are just learning at their own pace and there may be things they need to solidify before moving on in Grammar. And remember, Grammar is TOUGH - especially for boys (blanket generalization there, I know some do great...but overall, boys seem to have a tougher time with grammer and writing early on).

I think most older children would "bomb" the CLE placement tests! Every curriculum has different scope and sequences. I recommend you just place them where they suggest and use CLE from here on out. If you want to "catch them up" (although I'm not sure it would be worth it) you could school year round. Or you could buy individual lightunits for the things they haven't learned yet or had trouble on the placement test and just do those over this summer and then start at grade level in the fall. It is a wonderful curriculum. Rigorous, inexensive, easy to use!!

I wouldn't even know how to unschool. If I don't do school, they just get really cranky saying there's nothing to do.

That's why I suggested Holt and the magazines. :D

Take some walks together.

Do a jigsaw puzzle for a morning.

Weed the garden together and look for insects.

Sort a forgotten bookshelf and let the kids grab interesting books to wander off and read.

Plan a scavenger hunt.

Let them whine until they do find something to do.

Drag out the Lego and issue a building challenge.

Experiment with vinegar, baking soda and food colouring for an afternoon. Take apart an old, dead radio.

Build stick dams in a local stream.

The fact that you don't know how to unschool and the kids are lost without school work makes me think you guys need to unschool a bit.

Watch a movie together.

I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones.

I guess I'm going to have to ramp up the flash card usage. I'm just afraid that's going to make them hate school even more.

Thanks for the hugs, though.

Flash cards are fast & really work for us. Start with only a few cards/subject until mastered and then add more cards as dc get faster. It's cheap, easy & it works over time (several school yrs). :D

That's why I suggested Holt and the magazines. :D

Take some walks together.

Do a jigsaw puzzle for a morning.

Weed the garden together and look for insects.

Sort a forgotten bookshelf and let the kids grab interesting books to wander off and read.

Plan a scavenger hunt.

Let them whine until they do find something to do.

Drag out the Lego and issue a building challenge.

Experiment with vinegar, baking soda and food colouring for an afternoon. Take apart an old, dead radio.

Build stick dams in a local stream.

The fact that you don't know how to unschool and the kids are lost without school work makes me think you guys need to unschool a bit.

Watch a movie together.

You're probably right.

We're really good at watching movies together, but you've got a lot of other great ideas that we need to put into place. Unfortunately we usually plan school breaks around when we need to travel, and summers are just incredibly busy because of the ministry, so we really don't have a chance to just hang out and do the things that you suggest. I think we really need it. Thanks for the ideas.

I think if I were an 11 year old in the above situation, I'd not be wild about school either. I get a neck ache just reading it.

I think it is very credible that you are not enthused. Really this is a lot, and while I know how things can add on one task at a time, I think you need a heart-to-heart with hubby about the situation.

(((hugs)))

Edited by kalanamak

When I am discouraged I sit down and write all the things the kids HAVE acheived. So grammar is a bust; but C's reading really good books. I haven't managed to get to art much but they are doing some amazing sketches.

Stop concentrating on what you haven't done and spend some time thinking about what you HAVE acheived. Kids learn a whole lot when your back is turned.... cheeky imps LOL.

Multiplication tables are repetition.... write, say, and flash cards. It is boring but must be done b/c later math requires the knowledge. Just keep practicing. Try relays... if you can't have other student "relay"... you can use a timer and see how fast he can do 10 problems or 2 hard problems, etc. My children are moderately competitive and love this... makes math a bit more fun.

You have to find the way to make school the priority. Sounds like it is "something to just get out of the way" for real life. This happens to us all & is not a criticism. But somehow.... hide in a corner or something & make it the focus. Divide a room with a sheet or drape, if you need an isolated space.

When you visit the States, can your husband do more of the traveling & fund raising? Can't you SIT STILL for more of that time at a relatives & focus on school?

Books (to me) are essential for those who love learning. Have you considered asking for help from friends, family ... even this board? You could compile a reading list that fits your curriculum, faith, and levels & seek HELP! I also realize that MAIL is very unreliable for many in mission field.... are you in a country that shipping isn't crazy expensive or where it is dependable?

Remember also... they do not have to graduate by 17... if it takes an extra year. It is okay.

As some have mentioned.... use the tests as a TOOL and not a GRADE! See what is missing... what needs more work.... etc. Don't compare yourself with the IDEAL.

Remember also... the life of a missionary is an education that I can't give my children. You may be behind a year in math.... but you are miles ahead in culture, history, and serving others. LIFE is an education also. Don't be completely discouraged.

When I am discouraged I sit down and write all the things the kids HAVE acheived. So grammar is a bust; but C's reading really good books. I haven't managed to get to art much but they are doing some amazing sketches.

Stop concentrating on what you haven't done and spend some time thinking about what you HAVE acheived. Kids learn a whole lot when your back is turned.... cheeky imps LOL.

Thank you for this. I'm feeling better today with all the encouragement from the folks here.

This is all some really good advice.

Ds seems to really like Timez Attack, so I'm hoping that will help with the multiplication facts. I am trying to let dh do more of the travelling on his own now.

And, you're right about the education of life they've received. I could have lived without last year's marathon trip, but we have had wonderful opportunities that we would never have had otherwise. I wouldn't give up the 3 months we spent in South Africa for anything.

I did send a letter to Book Samaritan and got some great materials from them. I hesitate to ask friends back in the US for materials because it's uncomfortable and I don't want to ask people here (who I don't even know IRL) for hand-outs. I'm not really good at asking for things. I appreciate your offer, though, and always accept help when it's offered. I sent you a pm with my US address.

Thank you for your generosity and advice.

Hmm. Flashcards. I'd almost forgotten...

Back in the olden days, before I had kids, I was a corporate trainer for a health insurance company. You know those people who pay your medical bills? I had to train them. It was reeeeeally complicated. They had to memorize all sorts of numerical codes on top of a billion other things.

I trained adults and most of them were older than me, and I created and used flashcards. I felt a little silly in front of them holding up the cards. But at the end of the class, when I asked what training tools helped them the most, they answered: The Flashcards.

Don't knock the lowly flashcard! Tell your kids my story, that adults use them and it really works. It's not fun at first, but after awhile, tell them that it will pay off. And the adults were just as intimidated by them as your kids are. They would look like deer in the headlights and be all nervous that they couldn't do it, but after a little while, they could.

"Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." ;) :D

dory.jpg

hehehe I'm sorry, when I saw your question in the thread title it made me think of Dory. hehehe

I totally agree with Impish about Timez Attack for multiplication practice. My daughter loves it as well. :)

And I don't know what I'm doing. I make all my curriculum decisions based on what I read here. There are no conventions. I can't ever flip through a book before I buy it. I can't even return a book and buy something else if I decide that it wasn't what I had expected.

I don't think any of this matters.

Honestly, with the life you are leading, I would skip a lot of "programs" altogether. I would discipline the children to do a lesson of math a day and some writing and reading. I would let a lot of other things go and learn from what is around you. I would cover history and science and anything "content" as a family and mostly through reading and discussion. This would give you more time to focus on one-on-one work with basic skills.

I don't think any of this matters.

Honestly, with the life you are leading, I would skip a lot of "programs" altogether. I would discipline the children to do a lesson of math a day and some writing and reading. I would let a lot of other things go and learn from what is around you. I would cover history and science and anything "content" as a family and mostly through reading and discussion. This would give you more time to focus on one-on-one work with basic skills.

Reading, Writing and Arithmatic!

You are in a huge laboratory of history.... use the trains and see the REAL THING! Add history & science into the reading schedule... and drop the textbooks.

And, the talk with hubby might be helpful. He needs to figure out a way to plan all the ins/outs and visits to work with school. You may not need the entire day... but you do need a few hours per day for the core!

The problem is that, although we do reading, writing and arithmetic, I feel like they're not really learning it very well. Those are the problem subject areas more than history and science. And we don't live in a history-rich area. All of England is not castles and historic buildings. There's nothing like that near us and it costs too much to visit those places often. When we travel, we usually don't have money to do much in those places. When we were in South Africa we had some money at the beginning of our trip, and we saw and did some amazing things. But when we were in California, there was no money for anything. All I could afford to do was go to the park. We got a really good sampling of parks of Orange County.

And I do think that having support nearby and being able to thumb through materials before buying is important. And considering the number of posts that I read here of people who buy one thing, try it for a few months, and switch to something else because it wasn't 'working' for their child, I think that having that freedom would make a difference as well. I know that in the early days of homeschooling people did a great job without any prepared materials. I'm just feeling like I'm not as gifted as those amazing people.

After reading these responses, I've decided to take it easy this summer. I will finish out our last few weeks of curriculum. Then we'll do math drill and grammar revision over the summer with lots of fun unschooling things to keep the kids busy.

I know that in the early days of homeschooling people did a great job without any prepared materials. I'm just feeling like I'm not as gifted as those amazing people.

They weren't any more gifted than you at it. :grouphug: They just didn't have all the pressure and temptation of all the stuff current homeschoolers do! :001_smile:

Whether there is history around you or not, I would stop anything else if the basic skills were lacking. That would free up more time for them, more time one-on-one. And that is what makes or breaks those skills - time, and not a particular program, IMHO.

Many of us have success stories to tell when are kids are older than 11.

My middle child did both Chemistry and Physics in high school this year--he got behind in Physics, so he did a WHOLE CHAPTER EACH DAY until he finished the book--each chapter is scheduled to take 2 weeks of normal school. He averaged a 98%. What you need to know, though, is that this is the kid who took 3 YEARS to learn his multiplication tables in his elementary years. He was bored and rarely gave his best on schoolwork when he was younger. Math was his bane in life. This year, Math and Physics were his favorite subjects.

I have another one who could not write or spell if her life depended upon it. I wouldn't let her answer the phone when she was in 4th grade because the messages she wrote for us were unintelligible. I cried because I did not know how to help her...and we struggled and worked and worked some more. She finally wrote an "acceptable" paragraph in 9th grade. I gave up on spelling programs and told her Spell Check had to become her best friend. We learned how to write a 5-paragraph essay with our eyes closed...and we studied a little progym.

And then, she applied for a 4-year academic scholarship for a small private college. They gave her a computer, a topic, and an hour. They called her paper "smokin' hot". They wanted her to write about something she had struggled to learn and succeeded--so she talked about learning to write. She told them about the no-phone rule and her fighting to make sense with her writing--her mom making her take Latin and Logic...and her failures at writing a simple paragraph. They could SEE WITH THEIR OWN EYES that she had gone from the kid who couldn't write to a child who wrote an essay good enough for them to offer her a 4-year scholarship. MY KID?? No way!!! At age 11 she was NOT EVER going to qualify for any college no less a 4-year scholarship!

And my 3rd kid? The dyslexic one? He didn't start being able to read until 4th grade. You can't spell or write or do much in language arts when you can't read or write anything. He was behind in everything.

By the time he was in 8th grade, however, he was catching up in everything. He started Veritas Omnibus...We've read Epic of Gilgamesh, Song of Roland, the Odyssey, Sophocles and a whole lot more difficult material than I had read even in college. He blossomed and he LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to read--I have to pull him out of his room sometimes to do something other than reading. He's 16.

So please...push yourself to give your kids your best, but realize that the proof of your success may not be visible yet. Those early years are a lot of work and sometimes they appear to be years of failure. Keep on keepin' on. You may be looking for success way too early for this endeavor.

:) Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Jean,

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am literally in tears. I'm going to print this out. It's a keeper. There are a handful of posters here whose names I recognize and whose opinions I truly respect, and you have always been one of them.

What an inspiration that you stuck with those kids and brought them as far as you did. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,

Megan

We got a really good sampling of parks of Orange County.

And this is just fine, IME.

We can't afford to do all those wonderful opportunities/activities, either. I just keep telling myself the benefits - my kids get plenty of time to just relax and play, to read, to use their imaginations with Legos, dress ups, outdoors, cardboard boxes, drawing, crafting, playing with each other, talking with us, plunking on our old, donated piano, making setups with stuffed animals, etc.. While I would LOVE to be able to do more of those other things with them, we do what we can that is free or super cheap or along the way of visiting relatives, and when my kids get older and start earning money for themselves and become adults, they can still do activities. Activities and field trips aren't confined to childhood.

And I do think that having support nearby and being able to thumb through materials before buying is important. And considering the number of posts that I read here of people who buy one thing, try it for a few months, and switch to something else because it wasn't 'working' for their child, I think that having that freedom would make a difference as well. I know that in the early days of homeschooling people did a great job without any prepared materials. I'm just feeling like I'm not as gifted as those amazing people.

I hear you about being able to thumb through materials. It has been frustrating for me to try and figure out how a particular book works, without being able to see it. I know homeschoolers around here, but they don't use the same materials I want to look at and maybe use, so I rely on descriptions from the WTM book, this board, and online reviews before I blindly buy. I've only been to our local curriculum fair twice, and might not go again because it's rather expensive for just walking through a vendor hall (I know they have expenses for this valuable service, but I have to pick and choose financial priorities). It has forced me to really think through what I want and WHY. I'm glad for the internet and these boards, so I have a chance of asking questions and getting what I need. I just can't afford to "buy and try" and ditch it if it doesn't "work." I do my best to choose, then make it work, adapting the book as needed (this is where these boards come in really handy, for asking questions about how to teach something). I've bought books and materials for six years now, and have only had one item not "work" - and that's because I didn't ask enough questions about how to teach something - I bought based on non-specific reviews.

I don't feel very gifted either, and yes, those earlier homeschoolers did amazing jobs (I knew a bunch of them in the mid 80s). But as frustrating as financial constrictions have been for me, I can see now how the constriction has actually been freeing - it forced me to think more clearly about what I wanted or how I can adapt, and I can better choose "blindly" now. I'm learning how to teach, too, rather that relying solely on the "curriculum." I don't think there's anything wrong with buying and switching if it truly isn't working for your child, but I just think things go more smoothly if you can think through first what you need, or see if there is some way, somehow that you can tweak what you DID buy.

I mean, look at the WTM. It takes books (let's say the KF history encyclopedia) and tells you not just to read them passively, but how to read through them systematically, and write about the material, and how to put it on a timeline and how to make connections on the timeline. KF doesn't come with a "curriculum," but it does lend itself to tweaking for your teaching purpose, if you know what to do with it.

You're not a failure. What do you do when you think you are? You come and post here for some encouragement. I do, about once a year. And it boosts me again. You're probably just tired, ending one year, contemplating the start of a new one...we all feel the weight of responsibility. Keep on keeping on. And I loved Jean's post - very encouraging!!!!!!