Menu

Have you seen the movie Marley and Me?

Well, somehow I think Marley had reincarnated himself into our one labradoodle! He chews on walls, (especially if there is a corner):glare: he gets on the table,:001_huh: he sleeps on the couch any time someone isn't in the room,:toetap05:he barks at the other two dogs if they have something he wants(we have very close neighbors),:eek: he dashes out the door or gate at any and every opportunity,:driving:(I was in the car no less than 3 times in 30 min. yesterday trying to catch up to him)he...........you fill in the blank.:willy_nilly: When he has done all of this in a couple hour span he then comes over to you, lays his head on your lap and gives you those puppy eyes that just can't be ignored so you find yourself cooing to him, telling him what a sweet puppy he is and rubbing his ears.:rolleyes:

I love this pup. I know he will out grow this stuff. I am not sure I will live one enough to see it. I.............

Do you want to hear about our other two dogs?:lol:

Anyways, I thought the movie was cute and very touching. First time I could stand (and enjoyed) Anniston.

Yes, the movie was very good. I enjoyed it much more than I do living it some days!

He is a sweet dog but I will be glad when he is past this stage whatever it is.

No, we read awful reviews based on morality & other content. It was packaged to appeal to kids even but was NOT a kid friendly movie.

I wish I coudl remember more... except the Don't Go message on several movie sites that we trust.

Dh and I watched it. It was really, really awful. It had no plot to speak of, which makes a very boring movie. We both looked at each other and said, "That's it? What was the point?" It was like they were trying to tell several 'lessons' in the movie, but failed at all of them. I'm wondering if they tried to stick too closely to the book? Or if the book was just bad to begin with?

Now Gran Torino, which we rented last night, was great!

We watched it and it made us all cry. We have a golden retriever/yellow lab mix. We were told he was the runt of the litter. When dh went to pick him up he was huge. We think they switched the puppies. By the time he was 5 months old he was stronger than me. One time he got loose and my hand got stuck in his collar when I went to grab him. He dragged me on my belly all over the muddy yard until a neighbor came to my rescue. My jeans were ripped but I wasn't injured, except for my pride. He was very energetic and got into a lot of mischief. At his heaviest he was 130 pounds.

He is turning 11 on Sunday and I'm afraid he is slowing down. He still weighs about 115 pounds. He doesn't get into as much mischief except for occasionally grabbing a sandwich that was put too close to the edge of the table while its owner got up to get a glass of milk. For some reason he must love the taste of old cardboard. We had a crate of old records sitting on the floor in the basement (finished and carpeted). A few weeks ago we put the dog in the basement for a few hours while we had dd's graduation party. He had eaten way most of the corners of the cardboard record covers. He is still quite the character too. Yesterday I could tell that someone was watching me. I turned around to see him laying on his back with his belly in the air. He was looking at me upside down with a big, toothy grin. It was so funny.

We watched it and it made us all cry. We have a golden retriever/yellow lab mix. We were told he was the runt of the litter. When dh went to pick him up he was huge. We think they switched the puppies. By the time he was 5 months old he was stronger than me. One time he got loose and my hand got stuck in his collar when I went to grab him. He dragged me on my belly all over the muddy yard until a neighbor came to my rescue. My jeans were ripped but I wasn't injured, except for my pride. He was very energetic and got into a lot of mischief. At his heaviest he was 130 pounds.

He is turning 11 on Sunday and I'm afraid he is slowing down. He still weighs about 115 pounds. He doesn't get into as much mischief except for occasionally grabbing a sandwich that was put too close to the edge of the table while its owner got up to get a glass of milk. For some reason he must love the taste of old cardboard. We had a crate of old records sitting on the floor in the basement (finished and carpeted). A few weeks ago we put the dog in the basement for a few hours while we had dd's graduation party. He had eaten way most of the corners of the cardboard record covers. He is still quite the character too. Yesterday I could tell that someone was watching me. I turned around to see him laying on his back with his belly in the air. He was looking at me upside down with a big, toothy grin. It was so funny.

Oh, yes, we loved the movie also. I don't think all movies necessarily have a 'plot' but they do have a good story line.

You give me hope. My 'Marley' aka Wishbone I am sure will out grow some of his mischief it is just getting there. :lol:

His sister is soooo much different. She is such a 'lady' it is funny to watch them. As he comes up the ramp jumping, roling, laughing in puppy laugh, she has her head high in the air and is prancing up the ramp as if to say,'Look at how pristine I am!' Now don't get me wrong, she can get into trouble too but it is never as massive and most of the time all you have to do is firmly say her name and her eyes get wide and she is off chewing on a bone.

Ahhh yes...my labrador growing up was a lot like Marley. She also at the drywall, had a lot of energy, and just plain was a handful.

I agree though with lots of walks and lots of toys. It is so important in those early puppy years. That and some training (you might want to look into clicker training).

Anyways, my Daisy did eventually grow out of it and slowed way down. That's a typical characteristic of labradors...tons of energy at first, and then they get pretty mellow (the transistion is usually between 4-6 in my experience).

But labs are the best...my favorite breed that I keep running back for more :001_smile:

Ahhh yes...my labrador growing up was a lot like Marley. She also at the drywall, had a lot of energy, and just plain was a handful.

I agree though with lots of walks and lots of toys. It is so important in those early puppy years. That and some training (you might want to look into clicker training).

Anyways, my Daisy did eventually grow out of it and slowed way down. That's a typical characteristic of labradors...tons of energy at first, and then they get pretty mellow (the transistion is usually between 4-6 in my experience).

But labs are the best...my favorite breed that I keep running back for more :001_smile:

4-6!!!:lol::glare::w00t::willy_nilly::toetap05::leaving:

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!

He really is such a sweety, he just melts my heart and when he sees himself in the mirror and tries to figure out where that puppy is I about roll on the floor.

I'm just curious. Is he a yellow lab? Our black lab was SO calm, sweet and easy. Our YELLOW lab, absolutely adorable, playful, funny, TROUBLE. She was CHALLENGING. :D Boy do I miss those dogs!

I think it's VERY important to regularly walk your dog. Do you have a fenced in yard, or will she not run away? If you can, throwing the ball for her is vital, and we took our dogs swimming regularly. Some days they'd come home from swimming too tired to move. It was a GOOD thing. :D

You have to read the book! If you have a "Marley," that is...

The author (Grogan, I think?) goes into great detail of the reasons for Marley's behavior. Apparently, somewhere back in the breeding process, the Labador Retriever line divided into two distinct sub-breeds. One of these is much more prone to nuttiness. I am not a dog expert by any stretch, but if you have a lab, you might enjoy reading the book.

Maybe someone more in the know will chime in on this thread? FWIW, I enjoyed the film, but agree that it is not the family movie it is often mistaken for being.

I also have a Marley although mine is a golden retriever. He has gotten better but we still have some issues. He is extremely hyper even after much exercise. He still tries to jump, whine and bark for attention, he will eat any non-food item he can get his chops on and worst of all, he is no good with the cats. He has attacked them several times. We took him in at about 16 months and he has been here for almost six months and there has been no improvement. I have had to resort to installing a pet gate and keeping the cats upstairs and the dog downstrairs. Since I spend the majority of my time upstairs, Jack is not getting as much company as he needs which is just intensifying his behavior. I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to manage this situation.

You have to read the book! If you have a "Marley," that is...

The author (Grogan, I think?) goes into great detail of the reasons for Marley's behavior. Apparently, somewhere back in the breeding process, the Labador Retriever line divided into two distinct sub-breeds. One of these is much more prone to nuttiness. I am not a dog expert by any stretch, but if you have a lab, you might enjoy reading the book.

Maybe someone more in the know will chime in on this thread? FWIW, I enjoyed the film, but agree that it is not the family movie it is often mistaken for being.

I guess I am not real sure as we never saw the parents. He is considered a blond F3 labradoodle and his full sister, same litter is a black F3 labradoodle.

They are sooooo different in almost every way. He is a lover, snuggler, mischief loving, all over everything pup. She tends to be timid, gentle, very lady like and is just starting to enjoy being petted and loved on a little.(we have had them both for over 5 months now)

We do have a fenced yard and YES, he runs off at every opportunity. He gets out and it is the biggest game on earth. He stays just ahead of me constantly stopping to make sure I am coming. (He loves me!)

I haven't seen the movie yet, we just got it in from netflix..but, I read the book on a plane, 5 days before we were supposed to pick up our new labradoodle puppy! Probably not the book to read right before new puppy ownership....

she has been a really, really good puppy. She is the puppy of a labradoodle bred with a standard poodle, so she has more standard poodle than lab in her, maybe that is why she is more calm. She has her spurts of intense energy, but we play with her alot outside, and then she comes in a sleeps alot. She has her own toys and chewy things, when she picks up something that is not her toys, we trade. She does have a thing for my socks and shoes, I have to keep those up. We are really, really pleased with her, so glad we have her!

okay, except for last night, for some reason she would not go to bed in her crate in the nice way she usually does. She basically threw a toddler fit for a good 40 minutes. I'm dreading tonight, I hope we go back to our nice bedtime routine...

loved the book, it was written very well, I was drawn in from the first sentence. There wasn't really a plot, just his story about having and loving this horrible, bad dog.

Dh and I watched it. It was really, really awful. It had no plot to speak of, which makes a very boring movie. We both looked at each other and said, "That's it? What was the point?" It was like they were trying to tell several 'lessons' in the movie, but failed at all of them. I'm wondering if they tried to stick too closely to the book? Or if the book was just bad to begin with?

Now Gran Torino, which we rented last night, was great!

:iagree: On both points. We didn't like Marley either but just watched Gran Torino last night and I woke up this morning still thinking what a great movie it was. Loved it.

just watched Gran Torino last night and I woke up this morning still thinking what a great movie it was. Loved it.

GOOD GRIEF! IT IS RATED R! :confused: and some of you thought Marley and Me wasn't a family movie?

Ok, On ward and up ward. We don't do R rated movies at our house as when we watch a movie we do it with our kids.:001_smile: I have a difficult time making the comparison. They are in two totally different cat.:tongue_smilie:

I bawled all the way through Marley & Me because I knew the end. Having worked at a vet and experienced that with my own dogs too many times I relived at lot of memories. I had to walk out of the room. the guys rented it, I wish they hadn't.

My lab was lying at our feet (amazingly quiet) and at the end she got up and "kissed" ds, really only because he had snacks but it made me cry even worse.

our black lab/german shorthair mix is 4 and is just now calming down. We had Siberian Huskies and they were about 8 before they even started to chill.

GOOD GRIEF! IT IS RATED R! :confused: and some of you thought Marley and Me wasn't a family movie?

Ok, On ward and up ward. We don't do R rated movies at our house as when we watch a movie we do it with our kids.:001_smile: I have a difficult time making the comparison. They are in two totally different cat.:tongue_smilie:

I didn't say anything about Marley and Me as far as family goes. We don't watch movies as a family usually, unless we are going to the theater once a year or so. (I've discussed our reasons for that on the board previously.) Dh and I watch them for a date night at home once a week or so. ;)

I wasn't comparing the movies; I was just making a comment on what we watched last. If I had to make a comparison it would be this: Gran Torino is about a sober social issue facing immigrant minorities, and Marley & Me is instead about people not facing true hardship (other than a mild bit at the end) but whining because they have to grow up. :glare: (If you want my opinion, LOL.)

Gran Torino is R because it displays gang life realistically. I can live with that, although I don't normally watch R movies. There is no nudity or smut. Clint Eastwood swears like a sailor, of course, but it's realistic for his character. :D

Edited by angela in ohio